Clinton says Confederate flag has no place in US

webfact

Clinton says Confederate flag has no place in US
By KEN THOMAS

FLORISSANT, Mo. (AP) — Hillary Rodham Clinton said Tuesday the Confederate battle flag should not be displayed "anywhere," weighing in as South Carolina lawmakers seek to remove it from the grounds of their statehouse.

The Democratic presidential candidate called the deadly shootings of nine black church members in Charleston, South Carolina, "an act of racist terrorism perpetrated in a house of God."

Clinton called the Confederate flag a "symbol of our nation's racist past that has no place in our present or our future. It shouldn't fly there. It shouldn't fly anywhere."

Clinton joined with church members in the St. Louis suburbs, near the violent protests touched off last year in nearby Ferguson after the death of Michael Brown, an unarmed young black man who was shot by a white police officer.

Clinton said she appreciated the work of South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, a Republican, and state lawmakers who are working to remove the Confederate flag from the statehouse grounds. She also commended Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the Arkansas-based company on whose board she once served, for announcing it would remove any product from its stores that features the Confederate flag.

She encouraged other companies to follow that example while noting that Amazon, eBay and Sears have done so.

Clinton has put America's struggle with race relations at the forefront of her presidential campaign in recent weeks and urged church members here to find ways to turn their grief, anger and despair into purpose and action. The Clinton campaign said she was initially scheduled to discuss economic issues during her stop in Missouri, but after the Charleston shooting, she said she wanted to hold the event in a church and discuss race.

Clinton largely avoided giving race relations a prominent place in her 2008 Democratic campaign against Barack Obama, who was vying to become the nation's first black president at the time. Yet she's leaned into a number of issues closely watched by African-Americans this time, discussing the need to change the criminal justice system, improve access to voting and help minority small business owners.

Clinton's campaign hopes to mobilize black voters in large numbers in the 2016 election, building upon the coalition of minority, young and liberal voters who powered Obama's two White House campaigns. The message has taken on fresh urgency since last week's church massacre in Charleston, South Carolina, which happened shortly after Clinton campaigned in the city.

In Florissant, Clinton proposed a package of policies to promote racial equality, including tax breaks for struggling communities, help for minority and female entrepreneurs, early childhood education, "common sense" gun restrictions and universal voter registration. She told congregants that "all lives matter," a variation of the "Black Lives Matter" slogan that arose from the Florida shooting death of black teenager Trayvon Martin.

Clinton cited her background growing up in the Methodist church, recalling: "I grew up in an all-white middle-class suburb. I didn't have a black friend, neighbor or classmate until I went to college and I am so blessed to have so many in my life since."

Pointing to the Charleston shooting, she urged attendees, "Do not be overcome with evil but overcome evil with good."

The former secretary of state was greeted by the Rev. Traci Blackmon, pastor of Christ the King United Church of Christ, which hosted the event. She told the audience that the Charleston shooting shows "we also must take this moment to not just focus who pulled the trigger that day but on the policies, the people and the structures that are pulling the trigger daily."
___

Associated Press writer Lisa Lerer in Washington contributed to this report.

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-06-24

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That many people have used it just shows the hypocrisy endemic in US politics as a whole. Nothing tangible will happen but it will show that the entire US political system is bought out. I don't like Mrs. Clinton and never have... I consider her a liar and a thief but her behaviour is in no way unlike any other US politician and in many ways much less worse. All of them have sold themselves with regard to the rebel flag but the difference is that while the Democrat politicians will rob you but leave enough rice for breakfast, the Republicans will not.

Wow, this is great. What is this the 4th thread about the Confederate flag? It must be a new record. Can anyone remember an event that had 4 threads all active and running on the same subject at the same time? clap2.gif

Wow, this is great. What is this the 4th thread about the Confederate flag? It must be a new record. Can anyone remember an event that had 4 threads all active and running on the same subject at the same time? clap2.gif

yes I can

Fukushima

MH370

MH17

Boston marathon

Charlie Hebdo

Isis

and more....

/Admin

Also... US ex-pats wanting to know where to buy guns, what visa is required yo buy a gun, cost of gun and cost of ammunition would have to be way up toward the top. I have not seen a topic opened in the General section of the forum for a number of days day.

With all due respect for forum rules I do think members should announce beforehand if they are abject racists and or gun fetishists.

To get fully back on topic. Clinton is entirely correct but has shown herself to be hypocritical on the matter. Much and many of the topics regarding this issue (racism) only address what people have said rather than the issue itself. Your general Republican is known to be a racist ****. Anyway, off topic.

Also... US ex-pats wanting to know where to buy guns, what visa is required yo buy a gun, cost of gun and cost of ammunition would have to be way up toward the top. I have not seen a topic opened in the General section of the forum for a number of days day.

With all due respect for forum rules I do think members should announce beforehand if they are abject racists and or gun fetishists.

To get fully back on topic. Clinton is entirely correct but has shown herself to be hypocritical on the matter. Much and many of the topics regarding this issue (racism) only address what people have said rather than the issue itself. Your general Republican is known to be a racist ****. Anyway, off topic.

Anyone else you want to ban that you disagree with, Mr. Stalin?

No firearms enthusiasts allowed?

Are knife collectors OK, or only if they parrot your narrative?

How about Drinkers? Smokers?

Can you just make a list of everything that you want banned?

Typical tolerant liberal I see. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

And for your own good, don't get me started on Democrats and their rich history of Racism, because I'll chew you up and spit you out with indisputable evidence while you, like someone else here, posts links to opinion articles to back their opinions.

Edited by PHP87

Cant wait to hear the vitriol coming out of fox news!

They were extremely agitated on the evening shows last night. It was hilarious.

While the liars on MSDNC and their miniscule viewing audience where spinning themselves dizzy trying to rationalize Clinton's use of the Rebel Flag.

"Oh, that was a long time ago"

Oh well, very good then. Let's just move along and not mention it ever again.

Low-information voters that don't remember what they did yesterday because they were stoned or drunk out of what's left of their minds.

The Dems can always count on the ignorant. They even said so when it came to the disaster known as Obamacare.

Take a look at all of the people that are just thrilled with their coverage: http://www.yelp.com/biz/covered-california-sacramento

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by PHP87

"Gruber discusses how those pushing the bill took part in an "exploitation of the lack of economic understanding of the American voter," taking advantage of voters' "stupidity" to create a law that would ultimately be good for them."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/14/politics/gruber-update-friday-white-house-obamacare/

Yes Obama voters, he not only thinks you're stupid, but he used your ignorance to his advantage.

"Hope & Change"

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

I loved Bill and still do, but she is nothing but a pandering hoe dog that will do anything for attention. Lol, I would vote for Bill again and again if he could run again, but not Hillary. What a pathetic train wreck even if my guy is potentially behind her. We need a different direction on many social issues. Bill is smart enough to do the right things. She ain't. At this stage of her life there are more important things to her than doing the right thing.

What I find to be highly amusing are the people who claim to hate Fox News and totally disagree with Fox News.... and yet continue to watch it all the time.

Why would they continue to torture themselves time after time ? ? ?

What I find to be highly amusing are the people who claim to hate Fox News and totally disagree with Fox News.... and yet continue to watch it all the time.

As I've said, how can you criticise something you've never seen?

Plus it gives great insight into what the over-67's are swallowing everyday and regurgitating here.

The media has gone completely insane... We now have some "news channels" suggesting that memorials to Thomas Jefferson and Jefferson Davis be removed because they were slave owners... Just because something is not politically correct in the 21st century means that you can re-write history... It's part of American heritage no matter how you spin it...

Bill Clinton used the Confederate flag during his presidential campaign. Duh.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/23/confederate-flag-campaign-pins-of-both-clintons-pasts/

bill-FLAG1.png

And so did Hillary in 2008... Oh the hypocrisy, but one must consider who we are talking about...

hillary-alabama-pin.jpg

CNN out thought by Thai Visa posters. I just watched CNN lunch news and they don't have the above photo. Congrats Thai Visa posters you have scooped the international media.thumbsup.gif

A guy I used to work with here in the US was and still is a Cheap Charlie. He didn't even have Cable or Sat TV, yet he would rant about FNC being right-wing and all the other bumper sticker slogans they repeat.

One day I asked him how does he watch it without Cable or Sat and he said he doesn't -- he just reads about on far-left web sites.

That would also explain all of the things he would rant about that were either taken out of context or flat-out repeating lies from his fringe web sites.

This guy was so cheap, he probably turned his TV off during the commercials to save on his electricity bill.

Bill Clinton used the Confederate flag during his presidential campaign. Duh.

http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/23/confederate-flag-campaign-pins-of-both-clintons-pasts/

bill-FLAG1.png

And so did Hillary in 2008... Oh the hypocrisy, but one must consider who we are talking about...

hillary-alabama-pin.jpg

CNN out thought by Thai Visa posters. I just watched CNN lunch news and they don't have the above photo. Congrats Thai Visa posters you have scooped the international media.thumbsup.gif

DNCNN knows. They just don't want anyone else to know.