Phuket police nab Colombian car breakers

webfact

Two Thalang Tesco theives arrested in Krabi
Eakkapop Thongtub

1435128331_1-org.jpg
Jean Ortega Duarte was apprehended in Krabi on Monday.

PHUKET: -- Police are currently hunting for two men, a Colombian and Mexican, who are accused of being involved in the theft of items from a car at the Tesco Lotus car park on Sunday (June 21).

The hunt comes after two Colombian men were arrested in Krabi on Monday (June 22) in connection with the same crime.

At 11:30am on Monday (June 22), Krabi police arrested 21-year-old Colombian, Jean Ortega Duarte, one of the three foreigners police believe broke into a vehicle parked at Tesco Lotus Thalang on Sunday and stole an iPhone, iPad mini and rucksacks. (see story here)

Jean was arrested in Krabi when returning a grey Chevrolet rental car believed to have been used in the theft to a rental shop in Ao Nang.

Police seized the grey Chevrolet from the rental company and also gloves, a shirt, cap, chisel and pliers from the suspect.

Having viewed many images of the suspects and their vehicle, with the help of immigration police the investigation was passed to Krabi police.

Krabi police reported that the suspects rented a car from Ao Nang using a fake Italian passport on Sunday.

After learning that the suspsects were to return the vehicle at midday on Monday police waited for them to arrive.

When Jean returned the vehicle he was approached by police who showed him a video clip of the car and of the three suspects walking around the Tesco car park. They also searched the vehicle where they found the seized items.

With Jean was a second Columbian, 28-year-old Daniel Guerrero Ariza, who tourist police say made the fake passport for Jean.

Jean and Daniel denied they have anything to do with the theft in Thalang. Jean told police he rented the car from Ao Nang and went shopping at the Tesco Lotus in Thalang with two friends, one Colombian and one Mexican.

Police are now looking for the other two men involved and are awaiting for an arrest warrant to be issued by Phuket Provincial Court.

Jean is currently being held at Phuket Provincial Police Station where a press conference has been held to announce the arrest.

He will later be transferred to Thalang Police Station where he will be charged with theft using a getaway vehicle.

Daniel is now being held at Krabi Police Station on forgery charges.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/two-thalang-tesco-theives-arrested-in-krabi-52912.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-06-24

Oh come on. A CAR THIEF is somebody who steals a car. I started reading this article because I thought here s some news about a worldwide operating vehicle stealing ring. Was wondering how they might operate. What a disappointment, this...

I believe this is a follow up article from the one where a Thai citizen video these creeps creeping around the carpark.

And so many TVers said "oh where is that they break into the car"! Obviously they did huh?

And obviously the RTP held back the real video.

Haha you wa..ers!

As such its good news.

Who cares if the title to the page is not "what is preferred"!

Oh come on. A CAR THIEF is somebody who steals a car. I started reading this article because I thought here s some news about a worldwide operating vehicle stealing ring. Was wondering how they might operate. What a disappointment, this...

The headline says CAR BREAKER not car thief so rather ambiguous. Have to admit though, I thought they were stealing cars not contents of cars

For a moment I thought we had a story about the internationalisation of car theft ! Not exactly a cartel in the making then . . .

Well done to the Thai police for catching two of the suspects.

Plenty of people on TV calling it petty crime not exactly world breaking news....... so what, a crime was committed the suspect has been apprehended its a good result. Its bad enough dealing with petty theft from locals never mind falang.

Lets see the other people involved captured.

UMMM ... guys ... you left your homeland .. forged a passport .. broke into a car for junk you can get a-n-y-w-h-e-r-e ???

Not sure hwere you are from and what the prisons are like ... but jail time in Thailand? No Thank You.

These idiots do not belong in a prison, they belong in an insane asylum.

Well done to the Thai police for catching two of the suspects.

Plenty of people on TV calling it petty crime not exactly world breaking news....... so what, a crime was committed the suspect has been apprehended its a good result. Its bad enough dealing with petty theft from locals never mind falang.

Lets see the other people involved captured.

Petty Theft?

Lived in Thailand 5 years...

So far;

(1) had my wallet returned at a cafe.

(2) had my phone returned at my condo.

(3) had a driver come all the way back to our condo to return my wife's (rather expensive) glasses.

(4) had a drive at 2:00 AM correct my mistake and point out that I gave him 2,000 Baht instead of 200 ...

(5) had a (rather poor) 16 year old run a city block chasing me to return a 50 baht note I dropped getting out my phone.

(6) had the guy in line behind me remind me I left my ATM card in the slot.

I have never had a friend report any items missing, just more stories like mine.

Now, I live in Bangkok, perhaps it is different where you are? But may I say, that the conventional wisdom is that petty theft is more common in the big cities around the world.

And I am not trolling here ... have you personally been the victim of theft, or any trusted friends .. or are you just sort of ... ummm... guessing? Where and what was lost?

it is the good things like these events that compels me to be one of those "Thai Lovers" who resents negative generalizations .. or Thai bashing. Some times I go over board and am trying to tone it down.

Nor saying that "bashing' is the case here, perhaps your luck has been the opposite from mine.

May I ask, if you have lost things, where do you live and what was stolen?

Edited by Guest

I believe this is a follow up article from the one where a Thai citizen video these creeps creeping around the carpark.

And so many TVers said "oh where is that they break into the car"! Obviously they did huh?

Haha you wa..ers!

As such its good news.

Weirdo. Why would they hold back the video of them breaking into the can yet show them all walking past a car? They don't have video of them doing the crime Numpty Nuddy. The speculation surrounding the first article of this was skeptical at best. Just because there have been some developments in the case does not mean everyone is stupid for not foreseeing them. Clown

Haha you wa..ers!

As such its good news.

Weirdo. Why would they hold back the video of them breaking into the can yet show them all walking past a car? They don't have video of them doing the crime Numpty Nuddy. The speculation surrounding the first article of this was skeptical at best. Just because there have been some developments in the case does not mean everyone is stupid for not foreseeing them. Clown

Seems like a rather fine point now. They are in custody with forged documents and the stolen items.

Nuddy doesa have a cause to gloat a little...Thai Visa is notorious for jumping the gun, finding conspiracy in every little thing, and Thai bashing like it earned free beer coupons.

Go back and review the comments from the other day ... some speak in absolute terms and imply "no way, the cops and the film are all wrong."

They are not.

Now, those kids are certainly not the sharpest knives in the drawer. Still driving around with the evidence?

Wow. That is a special kind of stupid ... but no worries .. in prison ... they will "straighten then out" in no time.

Hope it was worth it guys!

Amazing.

Some years ago,I was in Don Muang to pick up my son,coming to visit. Suddenly he cried out;he had lost his wallet with all his money and some other things.Whoa,I thought,that`s that.But,sekunds later it came over the loudspeakers that a wallet was found!!His wallet! It turned out that he had lost it in the cafeteria,foolishly keeping it in his backpocket,from where it had slid out.

Oh well, I suppose in the wonderful true fashion of Thai Visa- Jean looks as he has had a hard life- not exactly a fresh faced 21yr old.

Actually it's not good- this should be a young man looking forward to a good life- but allegedly breaking into cars for a few baht.

Sometimes the world of the rich - and the rest trying to make ends meet- sucks

Some years ago,I was in Don Muang to pick up my son,coming to visit. Suddenly he cried out;he had lost his wallet with all his money and some other things.Whoa,I thought,that`s that.But,sekunds later it came over the loudspeakers that a wallet was found!!His wallet! It turned out that he had lost it in the cafeteria,foolishly keeping it in his backpocket,from where it had slid out.

Thanks for taking time to share that.

Great story.

The real "Thainess" the "rest of us" have grown to appreciate.

Have a good evening.

Great story.

Have a good evening.

You are so mean - thought that was an enlightening truly fabulous story .

Oh well, I suppose in the wonderful true fashion of Thai Visa- Jean looks as he has had a hard life- not exactly a fresh faced 21yr old.

Actually it's not good- this should be a young man looking forward to a good life- but allegedly breaking into cars for a few baht.

Sometimes the world of the rich - and the rest trying to make ends meet- sucks

Having a bit of difficulty drumming up much empathy for this kid.

Help me out here...

Which costs more .. three round trip tickets to the Kingdom, or the street value of what they stole?

This is not some kid in the barrio picking up a lost watch and selling it.

These are professional thieves stealing from hard working people.

Would LOVE to hear the tune you would whistle if it was your bundle of expensive electronics and a damaged car.

Great story.

Have a good evening.

Excuse me .. are we reading the same reply?

Great story.

Have a good evening.

You are barking up the wrong tree .. please read it again ...

Edited by Guest

Great story.

Have a good evening.

Excuse me .. are we reading the same reply?

Great story.

Have a good evening.

You are barking up the wrong tree .. please read it again ...

Apologies, I think it's British sense of humour ( tricky to understand ) getting in the way of what you thought was a good story. I thought it was a bit cheesy - it's what you would expect anywhere in the world.

We love country live, not much crime to even mention except the bridge 'traffickers' but all in all i,my wife and kids love our surroundings.

Oh...forgot to mention we all made an effort to speak,read and write fluent (3) Thai and me hanging on to not fluent but amuzing Thai if you will...the way we speak english but then in Thai......no problem whatsoever.

Car thieves? happens everywhere in the world.

Haha you wa..ers!

As such its good news.

Seems like a rather fine point now. They are in custody with forged documents and the stolen items.

Nuddy doesa have a cause to gloat a little...Thai Visa is notorious for jumping the gun, finding conspiracy in every little thing, and Thai bashing like it earned free beer coupons.

Go back and review the comments from the other day ... some speak in absolute terms and imply "no way, the cops and the film are all wrong."

They are not.

Now, those kids are certainly not the sharpest knives in the drawer. Still driving around with the evidence?

Wow. That is a special kind of stupid ... but no worries .. in prison ... they will "straighten then out" in no time.

Amazing.

You can not take into consideration the article from the other day when cross referencing it with this article. Before, ''no evidence'' now, found tools in get away car!!! BIG DIFFERENCE. What people said the other day was legitimate considering. Again you are also WRONG because, if people speak in absolute terms and imply "no way, this is called innocent until proven guilty. A fundamental assumption to all civilized societies. Implying YES GUILTY after reading the article the other day is what would be ''screwed up''.

Apologies, I think it's British sense of humour ( tricky to understand ) getting in the way of what you thought was a good story. I thought it was a bit cheesy - it's what you would expect anywhere in the world.

This is a moment for me ... I get to use the same sentence twice, with two different meanings. Since it is American humor, I will translate.

You really need to get out more. (Your joke is not funny)

You really need to get out more. (In no way shape or form is this a story you wold "expect to find anywhere in the world")

No worries ... all in fun ... have a good day ... sorry this story could not just get a "thumbs up" from you.

(Let us know how that trip to Calcutta goes after you look away from your luggage for 15 seconds)

I quote one of the wa..ers here

"Weirdo. Why would they hold back the video of them breaking into the can yet show them all walking past a car? They don't have video of them doing the crime Numpty Nuddy. The speculation surrounding the first article of this was skeptical at best. Just because there have been some developments in the case does not mean everyone is stupid for not foreseeing them. Clown"

Look at that!

Another troll!

Another wa..er trying to be smart.

​Yes there was an article before and yes players on here wa..ed on about it!

These guys are criminals!

They looked like criminals in the video!

Haha you wa..ers!

As such its good news.

They are not.

Amazing.

You can not take into consideration the article from the other day when cross referencing it with this article. Before, ''no evidence'' now, found tools in get away car!!! BIG DIFFERENCE. What people said the other day was legitimate considering. Again you are also WRONG because, if people speak in absolute terms and imply "no way, this is called innocent until proven guilty. A fundamental assumption to all civilized societies. Implying YES GUILTY after reading the article the other day is what would be ''screwed up''.

Let me see if I follow you ...

"You can not take into consideration the article from the other day"

That this exactly what this conversation is about. Which you started!

No worries ... it is pretty transparent that when the same three people filmed are found with the actual stolen items ... you need the literal conviction to become a believer.

I do wonder (but know the answer) what you would be saying if the characters in this story were two Thais and a Cambodian.... and it was your car and computer gear.

Just kidding, you would be petitioning for capital punishment.

You are funny. Keep up the good work. I am going to write your reply on a paper here, and see how close I get to your actual posting.

Yes, it is really that predictable here on TV around cocktail hour.

Edited by Guest

I quote one of the wa..ers here

"Weirdo. Why would they hold back the video of them breaking into the can yet show them all walking past a car? They don't have video of them doing the crime Numpty Nuddy. The speculation surrounding the first article of this was skeptical at best. Just because there have been some developments in the case does not mean everyone is stupid for not foreseeing them. Clown"

Look at that!

Another troll!

Another wa..er trying to be smart.

​Yes there was an article before and yes players on here wa..ed on about it!

These guys are criminals!

They looked like criminals in the video!

LOL .. Right .. don't let 'em get under your skin...

Checked their home address on line ...

"In a van, down by the river"

This is a moment for me ... I get to use the same sentence twice, with two different meanings. Since it is American humor, I will translate.

You really need to get out more. (Your joke is not funny)

You really need to get out more. (In no way shape or form is this a story you wold "expect to find anywhere in the world")

No worries ... all in fun ... have a good day ... sorry this story could not just get a "thumbs up" from you.

(Let us know how that trip to Calcutta goes after you look away from your luggage for 15 seconds)

You are not getting it- I thought your original comment was a sarcastic comment to a rather irrelevant post- I have apologised.

I have no plans at the moment to go to Calcutta- are you implying that all Indian citizens are thieves? Then of course explain why a couple of friends last month lost their luggage from the bus they were travelling in to Khorat?

After you have lived in the Kingdom as a foreigner for a few years - you learn to trust very few people- example need a new tyre for your car- always ask your partner, wife, boyfriend, trusted Thai friend etc etc to go for you- as a foreigner you will be charged much more- the list goes on.