Lawyer for former Bangkok Police Chief to meet Japanese prosecutors

webfact

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The embassy certified to the Japanese side that the suspect had travelled to Japan on an observation trip related to a garbage-fuelled power plant at the invitation of the Japanese authorities.

Retired but still on the Junket list. gigglem.gif

All the excuses are being trotted out and it appears the scanner in Bangkok are so poor they cannot reveal a hidden gun.

No trace of a gun in x-ray airport security check records AoT president Nitinai Sirismatthakarn said the CTX luggage scanners used at Suvarnabhumi are capable of detecting explosives, explosive components and drugs but not guns.

And state security officials suspected the arrest of Pol Lt Gen Kamronwit was likely part of a plot to discredit Thailand's aviation safety image.....

You could not make this up.

Do they think this saves face?

Edited by Jay Sata

Well, he should be looking at a year in jail, and I would like to think that the Japanese court system wouldn't want to set a precedent whereby forgetfulness is a defence about carrying weapons. I mean, its not like that they are PROHIBITED for passengers to carry.

Im sorry I might be missing something here... why would a retired policeman on a business trip to Japan to view a waste burning power plant even contemplate packing a gun and taking it on commercial flight whether in luggage or carry on.... what possible motive/ driver/ intention/ need would an invited business guest need for a handgun in Japan..

I could somewhat understand this scenario if it was in bottom of his bag .. a relic from his yesteryear activities but he has admitted to packing it prior and then repacking it in Japan into his medicine bag that if I read correctly went into his hand held luggage

I could understand even have a modicum of sympathy if this was a situation where it was unknown by himself that it was in his bag.....i.e I forgot completely it was in there/ old bag I used to use years ago when i was on the force sort of thing ...... but he has obvious cognisance of its existence by virtue of the repack process in Japan and his reported statement that he consciously packed it prior to departure and thus has knowingly tried to board a commercial flight packing a firearm.......

This just doesn't make sense to me in any way . Im not normally a subscriber to conspiracy theories but its almost like he wanted to get caught on return leg hence transferring gun to his carry on luggage where he would have known the screening capability was far greater than what checked luggage receives....... why ??? Who benefits who loses from this if indeed he did want to get apprehended on the return leg.....

Assuming he didn't know he inadvertently brought it into Japan, why, when he discovered the gun didn't he just throw it away in a river immediately and certainly before leaving to go back to Thailand? He's certainly wealthy enough to buy a replacement gun when he got back to Thailand. Why did he feel the need to keep it? Instead of Kamronwit, his new nickname is 'Nit wit'.

Maybe the weapon was a gift from a camel herding fugitive criminal and he couldn't bear to part with it, but then on the other hand - being the very important person that he is (now was), the law doesn't apply in his case.

How sweet justice can be at times.

yes an eldery man, ha have forgotten that he put the gun in the medical bag :-)) ;

Hopefully Japan prisonn guard will not forget his release after 10 year !

Or starts Japain get like Thailand,

And beside what had a police chief to do on a business delegation for garbadge ?

maybee he wanted to test if such system can discard the red's weapons without evidence,

so to solve many problems for them in thailand, after used guns against protestors to dissapear ??

"Prawut said the small gun may not have been noticed in the X-ray machine prior to his departure from Bangkok if it was in a vertical position when the bag was scanned at Suvarnabhumi Airport."

Seriously, that's supposed to make us feel better about security at airports....

his bag scanned at swampy? not on your life! he is a general! no thai would dare to question him! now the Japanese could not give a rats ass who he is! they scanned him and threw him in the slammer! all the priviledged thai's should take note.

he were on a group of businessman, invited by the GVT !!

Have you ever seen how such figures are handled on a thai airport -

group of 80 - their lagguage scanned in 80 seconds,

no one officer would be allowed really to look at the screnn,

on departure, and well not on arrival, special on customs -

they are waved trough !!

this sytem will ever change ???

Remember the 2 soi dogs the expert Bangkok police trained as narcotic and explosives sniffer dogs to work on she wanna boom aiport?

Wel they where put on retirement very fast because al they did was pee on the luggage of incoming passengers on the Luggage belt or grab female passengers by the leg and have a ride.

As some posters have rightly answered the question of why he needs to travel with a gun.

He is a very paranoid and probably guilty man fixated with those skeletons in the cupboard that could come rattling out any time to settle a score.

Not carrying a weapon for this creep would be like leaving your manhood at home.

According to reports, it's a .22 Magnum. Interesting side note: Back in the '80's I had a very close "acquaintance" who worked as a real life hitman for the Mafia in Chicago. His weapon of choice for up close jobs - .22 Magnum. Of course, it didn't help him much when 3 of his "competitors" took him out with .45 autos. 555

This link shows the type of gun he was carrying.

http://northamericanarms.com/firearms/firearms-all/ms.html

If that is in fact the revolver he was carrying, it's certainly not a toy and quite a handy bit of gear.

Yes Sir indeed!... Mae West tamed the West with one of those!!! coffee1.gif

No. They were just glad to see her.

You know I don't think an intelligent man as he is would have tried to take a gun knowingly into Japan. What for ?

He did not because a Police chief out of stupidity. All you negative ones that say he knew. I am glad a case cannot be tried here in TV. EVERYONE would be guilty.

Take a look at your selves Have you ever made a mistake ?

Give the guy a break We all make mistakes at one time

Johnny English, is that you?

Definitely not: Johnny English can actually speak English ;)

Im sorry I might be missing something here... why would a retired policeman on a business trip to Japan to view a waste burning power plant even contemplate packing a gun and taking it on commercial flight whether in luggage or carry on.... what possible motive/ driver/ intention/ need would an invited business guest need for a handgun in Japan..

The answer being, Thai police (current or retired) carry guns with them at all times day or night.

Many other Thai men also carry, probably 20-40% of Thai men will have a gun in their reach.

'Prawut said the small gun may not have been noticed in the X-ray machine prior to his departure from Bangkok ...' That should raise security red flags.

'He said he personally believed that Camronwit had genuinely forgotten that he had the gun in his bag, as he was now an elderly man who could be easily be forgetful.' Camronwit was still serving last year. How old does one need to be to qualify as 'elderly' under Prawut's dubious criteria?

The embassy certified to the Japanese side that the suspect had travelled to Japan on an observation trip related to a garbage-fuelled power plant at the invitation of the Japanese authorities.

The trip comprised about 80 people.

That's a lot of people to observe a garbage-fuelled power plant.

It was a boondoggle - probably paid for by Thai taxpayers.

Why he needed to be on it is anybodies guess.

According to reports, it's a .22 Magnum. Interesting side note: Back in the '80's I had a very close "acquaintance" who worked as a real life hitman for the Mafia in Chicago. His weapon of choice for up close jobs - .22 Magnum. Of course, it didn't help him much when 3 of his "competitors" took him out with .45 autos. 555

no wonder they get caught, they or their 'acquaintances' can't keep their mouth shut, lol

It was a boondoggle - probably paid for by Thai taxpayers.

Why he needed to be on it is anybodies guess.

Free trip to Japan, likely at the public's expense, would be at the top of my list of choices.

But think of the delicious irony here. The guy scams a free Japan junket, and then gets the added, unexpected bonus of a week or two or ??? stay in Japan's equivalent of the Hanoi Hilton (not that Japan's detention facilities would be even remotely similar...)

Sometimes, folks really do get a whole lot more than they bargained for... smile.png

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

BKK Post had a photo of it or a similar weapon, a 22 magnum 5 shot revolver. A lot bigger than the photo already posted on this site.

no wonder they get caught, they or their 'acquaintances' can't keep their mouth shut, lol

Actually it as a bit of a "turf war" and they gunned him down as he was leaving his house in the morning. Not an unexpected outcome when you live that life.

Perhaps this has been raised already but I recall a couple of years ago that a senior customs official assaulted a security guard at the airport for trying to check him. So it might be the case that staff are wary of the 'VIP' set.

I don't see the Japanese letting this go easily: they have extremely strict gun laws and are not about to make themselves look fools in the eyes of the world.

I remember that as well.

Sombat Chartchaiwaiyawit, who is (was?) chief of passenger inspection at Suvarnabhumi airport, smacked the ears of security officer Sirichai Maichum, after he was stopped for a body pat-down during a security check at the airport back in Jan 2012.

Actually it as a bit of a "turf war" and they gunned him down as he was leaving his house in the morning. Not an unexpected outcome when you live that life.

i don't think you understood whar i meant to say, np