Shoes for big feet

boomerexpat

I'm waiting for some good responses to this as well. I rarely see anything larger than men's US-size 10 anywhere in SEA.

When I do find a larger size, it's black oxfords like the Mormon missionaries wear.

A few years back I saw a profile on one of the English language tv stations of a farang wrestler who lived in Bangkok, they asked him where he bought his clothes and shoes. He answered that there is an area near Khao San Rd where a lot of African people live, and the shops there have larger sizes. Well, I explored the area and found nothing like what he described. My guess is he misspoke and meant Sukhumvit. I had no luck find big shoes in lower Suk.

My US sized 13 feet sympathize. I had luck only a few times, with an oddball style at the large department store (found in most malls). They may have one or two pair (of unfashionable qualtiy). Usually they are marked down.

I never thought I would wear second hand shoes, but I did find a second hand shop (Udon) that had tons of large shoes. It was quite nice to find a pair of high quality Italian leather boots for 500 baht (mint condition). They fit like I owned them. They have tons of large shoes (lots of military boots too). Bangkok should have many second hand markets.

In my case, I was desperate....and normally would not touch second hand....(but now the nasty secret is out. I am planning a trip back to the USA to load up on shoes, and computer related items.

Shoes need to be high quality, and durable...as they are almost irreplaceable here...for me.

You can find the odd stall that will have a pair of shoes, or sandals size 46, it is just pot luck, myself start looking about 4 - 6 months before needing a new pair...

otherwise Google hand made shoes, many places here..

After a lot of searching my son EU size 46 managed to find trainers his size in one of the brand name sports shops at the back of Terminal 21.

I'm not sure if they're linked by computer, but they were also able to tell him other shops around Bangkok that had his preferred shoe style in his size in stock.

I have to go to a robinsons in a big central store, usually one located near expats, chang wattana, lat prao, or frequented by larger footed peoples that require extra stability due to size of noses.

That works for me, also bagna next to ikea mall has decent shoe sizes, as for sale items, I have not yet managed to find a pair of shoes of my size in sale - i.e bigger than 10

The last four pairs of New Balance I have orderd have not been true to size or width. even a pair that was made in the USA. There is one company that is pretty true to size.....Propet. They have a 5E as well. Can order from Amazon.

I thought I would give all of you the big shoe update. I found a decent selection of Ecco and Rockport at the Paragon department store in Siam Paragon. They had at least to size 13 US.

I found Asic running shoes up to size 13 in Sports City (?) and the Asics store in Central World.

In at least one of the places (maybe Paragon) they had up to size 15.

Paragon currently has a 20% sale. I'm not sure when it ends. Sports City has a 10% sale and I'm not sure when it ends either. The shoes I bought at the Asics were only about 25 USD higher than Amazon (not counting shipping) and the ones at Paragon were about $12 more not counting shipping. So, I was satisfied.

You might be lucky in Siam Paragon.

Some months ago i bought big shoes in Paragon departmentstore. The sales offered me 10% discount on 5000 baht so i paid by creditcard.

When i checked the receipt i noticed i didn't get the discount.

When i told them they didn't speak english. I had to wait. 10 minutes later a customeservice person came who could speak english and he helped me getting the disount back. Never again!

Sportshoes bought in Thailand (big brands) seem to be of a lesser quality then in Europe. The soles always come off, won't buy them again.

Always found it odd Italian shoes any size in UK, but go to Italy and try to find any big sizes.. always had the same problem in South of France and Portugal..

Myself have shoes going back over 30 years, one pair have never worn yet, at least 10 pairs have not worn for past 11 years... still some will come back into fashion one day so will not have to buy

A lot of Italian shoes are made in Egypt these days. If you're ever in Cairo keep an eye out for outlet stores. Good quality leather, generally. There's even a, uh, barrio in Cairo that's all shoe stuff. I would think it would be good place for a deal on custom-mades, if you're going to be around a few weeks.

• 4 months later...

I thought I would give all of you the big shoe update. I found a decent selection of Ecco and Rockport at the Paragon department store in Siam Paragon. They had at least to size 13 US.

I found Asic running shoes up to size 13 in Sports City (?) and the Asics store in Central World.

In at least one of the places (maybe Paragon) they had up to size 15.

Paragon currently has a 20% sale. I'm not sure when it ends. Sports City has a 10% sale and I'm not sure when it ends either. The shoes I bought at the Asics were only about 25 USD higher than Amazon (not counting shipping) and the ones at Paragon were about $12 more not counting shipping. So, I was satisfied.

Please keep me updated with any new developments.

I am US size 15, and I have never bought a single pair of shoes in Thailand after 26 years of frustrating, fruitless searching. I just walk into shoe shops and when they ask what I want, I say "anything that will fit". No luck so far, and I always feel like a pathetic Yeti slinking out of all those places.

One silver lining to that is that it is a good way to chat up cute girls with no fear whatsoever of having to make a purchase, and Thai girls do seem to buy into the myth(?) about shoe size correlating with the length of certain other body parts.

The other silver lining is that cobblers still exist in Thailand and do a good job, which is very important given that most shoe manufacturers these days don't even bother to stitch the sole to the uppers.

But my actual footwear situation remains dire indeed (see attached photo). I actually have bad dreams about this.

I live in Songkhla Town during the week. When I walk the beaches here in the late afternoon all I see is an endless expanse of discarded or washed up footwear. It really breaks my heart. I have even had the thought of collecting some of them, creating a mold, and then melting them down into something that would fit me. Do you see? This is really driving me insane.

I have tried looking to buy online, but it seems really expensive to me and I have had problems because all I have is a Thai-issued debit card (Visa).

The attached photo is what I am reduced to wearing now, and anyone still reading this should feel relief that they haven't found a way transmit odor through the Internet yet.

As pointed out by a previous poster, in the US you can often get great deals on this stuff.

But here the nightmare continues....so any updates most appreciated.

post-40708-0-90610200-1447149146_thumb.j

Archived