Herpes (HSV-2) suppression treatment drugs - any generics?

fitfalang

I have always used a condom for one night stands but unfortunately managed to catch this nasty STD on one of my trips to Thailand around a year ago. To be honest, it's not really a big issue for me as long as I keep taking the suppressive treatment, but still bit of a pain.

When I was in Thailand I first received an immediate treatment which worked very well. However, the drug they gave me from Boots costs something absolutely ridiculous!! I think maybe 1500 baht for an amount that was enough for 5 days.

An NHS doctor prescribed me Alciclovir for suppressive treatment when I was in the UK temporarily, which works perfectly and I got it for free via NHS. Now I'm living in Thailand and wondering if there is any generic version of this as I need to take 2 every day to keep the outbreaks away. I actually have very good health insurance via my parents' job at the moment till im 28 which is very good, but I need to send all receipts to them first so as you can understand I don't want to send them receipts for herpes treatment...

So do they have some cheaper generics available for this?

There is a number of brands of Aciclovir (note spelling) available here. I'd suggest just going to your nearest large pharmacy and asking what brands they have available.

The drug doesn't require a prescription, but does require a first grade pharmacist at the pharmacy, and most pharmacies won't have one.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the suggestion guys, took me a while to actually need to buy some.

Try Virogon or Zevin. Both produced in Thailand and not expensive.

I got some Zevin Acyclovir today from Boots but it was still expensive; 450 baht for only 25 x 200mg tabs. This would not last even half a month for suppressive treatment, and only 5 days for treating an outbreak. I asked for cheapest ones and this is what they gave me, but are there any brands that are still cheaper?

Do the prices vary a lot between pharmacies for the same brand?

Thanks for the suggestion guys, took me a while to actually need to buy some.

Try Virogon or Zevin. Both produced in Thailand and not expensive.

I got some Zevin Acyclovir today from Boots but it was still expensive; 450 baht for only 25 x 200mg tabs. This would not last even half a month for suppressive treatment, and only 5 days for treating an outbreak. I asked for cheapest ones and this is what they gave me, but are there any brands that are still cheaper?

Do the prices vary a lot between pharmacies for the same brand?

Medications bought in such as Boots or Watsons will always tend to be expensive.

Best value is most likely to be obtained from a Thai pharmacy such as Facino.

Medications bought in such as Boots or Watsons will always tend to be expensive.

Best value is most likely to be obtained from a Thai pharmacy such as Facino.

Good to know, next time I will go somewhere else.

Now after checking the package, there is actually only 3 x 5 tablets inside... I thought they had scammed me, but after checking the receipt it does indeed say 3 x 5 while the package says 5 x 5. What a complete pisstake, 450 baht for 15 tabs. Will definitely be avoiding Boots from now on.

One strip of 200mg or 400mg are available in all pharmacies in Thailand ranging in 80-120 baht (normally 1 strip of 5 per day) but this is short term use only. Please google side effects of acyclovir as it can damage kidneys amongst other things, and would suggest seeing a doctor for any long term prescription.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

One strip of 200mg or 400mg are available in all pharmacies in Thailand ranging in 80-120 baht (normally 1 strip of 5 per day) but this is short term use only. Please google side effects of acyclovir as it can damage kidneys amongst other things, and would suggest seeing a doctor for any long term prescription.

Thanks for the info, so far I haven't experienced any side effects but good to know its long term problems. The UK NHS told me to take 200mg every morning and night for a year, as I was getting very frequent outbreaks. Maybe it would be healthier to just use them in the case of an outbreak.

The bad news being, condoms give no protection from herpes.

Blisters AROUND the pubic region is what spreads it.

Absolute nonsense. Some studies place condoms at a 90 percent effective rate for preventing the transmission of Herpes. It is common sense! If you cover 90% of the male member with latex, you are obviously less likely to catch/spread a disease by skin to skin contact.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info, so far I haven't experienced any side effects but good to know its long term problems. The UK NHS told me to take 200mg every morning and night for a year, as I was getting very frequent outbreaks. Maybe it would be healthier to just use them in the case of an outbreak.

Much better that you follow the medical advice provided by the NHS.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...