Tourist Visa or Leave Thailand for a few days ?

I have an airline ticket to arrive in Thailand at the end of July and depart in September, a total of 54 days in all. Could I get around getting a 60 day tourist visa by leaving Thailand for a few days in the middle of my trip so that I stay less than 30 days each time ? If I purchased a return air ticket to Cambodia for example and showed this to the airline on my outward leg to Thailand would this suffice?

I could get a tourist visa okay, but because of my location the cost involved (Fed-ex etc) would not be much different from purchasing an airline ticket from Bangkok to Phnom Penh, for example. So I was thinking I might as well have a side trip while I am there and kill two birds with one stone if possible.

Any advice would be welcome, thanks.

Thanks. Forgot to mention I have a UK passport.

30 days at any border. Leave TH, enter the neighboring country, have a beer and a smoke, then turn around and come back. Now you just need to do a little research about where the borders are and how to get there.

• Like 1

So I could do a side trip and fly from Bangkok , returning by air to Bangkok a few days later ?. That would be my preference anyway.If I just did a border crossing my concern would be that the airline would see that my return ticket was for longer than 30 days and without a visa may not allow me to board.

So I could do a side trip and fly from Bangkok , returning by air to Bangkok a few days later ?. That would be my preference anyway.If I just did a border crossing my concern would be that the airline would see that my return ticket was for longer than 30 days and without a visa may not allow me to board.

Ah, they tried to pull that on my when I left USA last time. And I had an ED visa... But it's nonsense. People leave TH by land all the time. It's really common for people to come over here and see a combination of TH, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, and now Burma. You can fly out if you want. I'd go the immigration route that Chris just suggested. B/c it costs money to enter another country... But depending on where you're gonna be, the border run can be a fun experience.

Ok thanks guys. I didn't realise that you could just extend a 30 day visa exemption in country. I have about ten free days right in the middle of my trip which I am not sure what to do with yet, so I may well do a side trip to Cambodia or Vietnam. So basically I have a few options. As I said before my main concern was how the airline would react if they saw I was visiting for 54 days without a visa. I am flying American to New York and then Asiana from New York

Ok thanks guys. I didn't realise that you could just extend a 30 day visa exemption in country. I have about ten free days right in the middle of my trip which I am not sure what to do with yet, so I may well do a side trip to Cambodia or Vietnam. So basically I have a few options. As I said before my main concern was how the airline would react if they saw I was visiting for 54 days without a visa. I am flying American to New York and then Asiana from New York

They're taking you from the UK to TH via USA? That seems like a longer trip than it should be. I think it's only ten hours from Germany.

Anyway, they may tell you that you need a return flight, but you just got kinda put your foot down and say "no I don't". They may ask you if you're prepared to turn around and come back in TH won't let you in the country. But they will.

Btw, there are buses to Angkor Wat from TH. That's a nice trip. You can fly there too.

No. I live in Bermuda, 2:20 mins to New York, 14 hrs to Korea and 5:30 mins to Bangkok. BA is easier and quicker but they are a total ripoff as they monopolise the direct flight from Bermuda to the UK !

That's why it's a bit of hassle and cost for a visa. I've done the visa route before but had to Fed-ex my passport to the Thai consulate in Ottawa last time and pay for the Fed-ex back as well,, quite a quick turn around but if I don't really need it a waste of money. That's why I was thinking I would rather spend the money on a side trip. I went to Angkor Wat last year thanks, yes, a very nice trip. I have a few options now, but I wont bother getting the Visa before I leave. Thanks for your advice.

• Like 1

You could buy a one way ticket to any nearby country within 30 days of arrival to show the airline. Check some of the low cost carriers and you may find one so cheap that you could throw it away and not loose a lot of money.

• Like 1

30 days at any border. Leave TH, enter the neighboring country, have a beer and a smoke, then turn around and come back. Now you just need to do a little research about where the borders are and how to get there.

not all land borders will allow u to leave an come right back,

Malaysia ( Sadao border) will tell u you need stay out one night)

Some thai/Cambodian borders are the same

BUT if u fly out and back its never any problem.

You can also get a 30 day extension at any immigration office for 1,900 baht

• Like 1

Don't know of any Thai Cambodian crossing that will not allow this. There are some crossing that Cambodia will try and sting you for a u-turn fee, aka 300 baht.

Thanks Joe.

Yeah I'm in pretty much the same predicament. I will be staying for around 80 days but worried the airline won't let me board in the UK. Qatar airlines denied boarding unless they had proof of an onward flight.

Don't know of any Thai Cambodian crossing that will not allow this. There are some crossing that Cambodia will try and sting you for a u-turn fee, aka 300 baht.

friend of mine lives in Battambang and went to Thailand on the last weekend, ( he told them he was going to Chantaburi for shopping) the thai immigration in Pailin TOLD him they would not allow him back in unless he stayed out the night.

friend of mine lives in Battambang and went to Thailand on the last weekend, ( he told them he was going to Chantaburi for shopping) the thai immigration in Pailin TOLD him they would not allow him back in unless he stayed out the night.

Sounds like the typical scam job. Have seen no report of this at other T&C crossing.

Edited by ubonjoe
snipped excess quotes only 4 can be done

Thanks Joe.

Yeah I'm in pretty much the same predicament. I will be staying for around 80 days but worried the airline won't let me board in the UK. Qatar airlines denied boarding unless they had proof of an onward flight.

you hear this many times , that some airlines dont board you if you have not an online ticket within 30 days; Thats a fact !

So I wonder why always some posts saying, you dont need such a ticket within 30 days ??

• Like 1

Thanks Joe.

you hear this many times , that some airlines dont board you if you have not an online ticket within 30 days; Thats a fact !

So I wonder why always some posts saying, you dont need such a ticket within 30 days ??

Yes I don't think I am prepared to take that risk. I fancy a side trip for a few days anyway so I might as well book a flight in advance.