Bangkok is really expensive..Some tips how to save more money?

thaichalina

There is a foreigner selling sausages from a cart opp Sarasas School at klong suan, Thais think it's a novelty and don't know that the guy is breaking the law, rather him than me.

How do you know he is breaking the law ?

Because jacky54 is the guy selling the sausages. biggrin.png

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the average Thai makes $400/month and the average "well paid" English teacher makes $1000/month, you have to wonder how a 30 year old comes to Thailand and makes a "high income".

Until you learn about these "investment bankers" working in Bangkok Boiler Rooms, cheating foreigners out of their life savings.

555+

If you are not a teacher you make ok money here.

Take home the same amount here as I did back in my home country after tax.

mid 30s work in management for a big IT Firm here.

Yes.

There is a general assumption that if you're relatively young here then you've GOT to be a teacher.

I know several 30-ish guys who, while not on the legendary "full expat package" of old, are pulling down 100k+.

That's not too shabby and more than enough for a single bloke to live very comfortably in Bangkok

When the average Thai makes $400/month and the average "well paid" English teacher makes $1000/month, you have to wonder how a 30 year old comes to Thailand and makes a "high income".

Until you learn about these "investment bankers" working in Bangkok Boiler Rooms, cheating foreigners out of their life savings.

555+

Yes.

There is a general assumption that if you're relatively young here then you've GOT to be a teacher.

I know several 30-ish guys who, while not on the legendary "full expat package" of old, are pulling down 100k+.

That's not too shabby and more than enough for a single bloke to live very comfortably in Bangkok

Pffft my Thai gf makes 200k Baht a month.

Amazing what a proper education can do for you.

Perhaps the OP should consider going home and getting one.

Here my personal experience I am 21 and have around 23-30 k salary, very doable, buy a small motorcycle for transport you will save a lot in long term.

Earning 23-30k bt is nothing to be proud of.

You're wasting your young life, you'll regret it when your older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

555+

Yes.

Good gawd, why should any professional in their 30s move to Thailand for 100k per month?

Please let us know what was their profession back in the Ole Country and what qualifications they hold?

Not too shabby, I wouldnt get out of bed for that.

Good gawd, why should any professional in their 30s move to Thailand for 100k per month?

Please let us know what was their profession back in the Ole Country and what qualifications they hold?

No, neither would I but life isn't all about money, is it?

Living here and pulling down £2,000, you can easily pump £500 per month into a personal pension with an insurer back home and still live reasonably well on the £1500 you've got left.

That's £6,000 a year into a pension started at 30.

A helluva lot of people can't do that in NYC, London, Paris so many come here to do it.

What's so wrong with that?

Living here and pulling down £2,000, you can easily pump £500 per month into a personal pension with an insurer back home and still live reasonably well on the £1500 you've got left.

A helluva lot of people can't do that in NYC, London, Paris so many come here to do it.

Nice bodyswerve of the question, what exactly did these guys do back in the Ole country?

Friend is looking for Elect Engineers, 400k per month, month on month off, would any of the guys you talk of be interested, would any actually be qualified.

Please be aware, double glazing salesmen and secon hand car dealers need not apply.

Pensions, you are having a laff aint you, what a Ponzi scheme, get invested in property in London.

555+

If you say so. Let's get real. International corporations do not hire IT people in Thailand. They hire people in India who speak "English" (supposedly).

Why would a two-bit "syndicate" in Thailand hire IT people at "high salary", when they could hire many qualified Thai IT people for 60,000B/month ($2000)?

Maybe you're working for criminals?

And part of your " high salary" is just a payoff for not seeing "nut'thin", 555

Like the people who worked for Enron (a criminal enterprise), did they not know the business concept was a scam (stupid) or did they just not say anything (greed) and participate in a criminal conspiracy to defraud others?

Earning "high salary" in Thailand?

Yeah, right 555

Nice bodyswerve of the question, what exactly did these guys do back in the Ole country?

Friend is looking for Elect Engineers, 400k per month, month on month off, would any of the guys you talk of be interested, would any actually be qualified.

Please be aware, double glazing salesmen and secon hand car dealers need not apply.

Pensions, you are having a laff aint you, what a Ponzi scheme, get invested in property in London.

Friend is looking for Elect Engineers, 400k per month. Yeah, right.

What were you saying about Ponzi schemes?

DING DING DING.

I think we have a "winner" here, folks...

DING DING DING.

^^^^ fell free to send me a pm of your CV, or resume as some call it.

PS, NDI/NDT will be on a better package.

Do you have any Simulator experience?

You really dont have a Scobby do you?

Posting from the Boiler Room are we?

DING DING DING.

^^^^ fell free to send me a pm of your CV, or resume as some call it.

PS, NDI/NDT will be on a better package.

Do you have any Simulator experience?

You really dont have a Scobby do you?

Posting from the Boiler Room are we?

Yes, I have Matlab/Simulink experience. That's only useful if you have well characterized algorithms.

Again, what "syndicate" is your friend working for, 555?

Bodyswerve? Nope

I thought it was a rhetorical question but if you must know, two were in affiliate marketing, one was/still is a php programmer and the other one sold software to insurance brokers etc

As for your friend's job, notwithstanding that it would only be of interest to electrical engineers, 400k for month on/month off work?? bah.gif

Won't suit most people, probably not even those qualified to do the job as your friend's probably told you

Can't think why

Might be something to do with having a LIFE which brings me back to money not being everything.

As for London property, good idea . . . after the bubble's well and truly blown up in everyone's face.

Could be years yet.

Yeah agree about the gf. She may actually be helping to keep the expenditure down. One thing you could do is make an effort to learn Thai (conversational), it's amazing how much of a difference it makes. On a low budget the best option you have is to try and blend in with the local culture, watch some of the same tv, enjoy the same foods as the Mrs etc. Thais are very sympathetic to their own kind in terms of scarcity of ready cash, and if you can speak Thai it's not so hard to find yourself on the inside of this circle rather than the outside.

Longer term, if what you're doing is English teaching, hang in and get a bit of experience. I know people who worked up from this kind of salary to something substantially better once they got a bit of experience under their belt.

Edited by lamyai3

Here my personal experience I am 21 and have around 23-30 k salary, very doable, buy a small motorcycle for transport you will save a lot in long term.

Earning 23-30k bt is nothing to be proud of.

You're wasting your young life, you'll regret it when your older.

Thanks for your kind advice, I didn't say I was proud of that amount. I always aims to have higher salary, the thing is I enjoy what I do and everybody has its own background. I may or may not regret it when older but at least I acquired experiences while working here which will help me in my future.

555+

If you say so. Let's get real. International corporations do not hire IT people in Thailand. They hire people in India who speak "English" (supposedly).

Why would a two-bit "syndicate" in Thailand hire IT people at "high salary", when they could hire many qualified Thai IT people for 60,000B/month ($2000)?

Like the people who worked for Enron (a criminal enterprise), did they not know the business concept was a scam (stupid) or did they just not say anything (greed) and participate in a criminal conspiracy to defraud others?

Yeah, right 555

Ok didn't realize you were an expert in the field.

Look in your computer and see where you hard drive is made... likewise a lot of software is developed and tested in Thailand.

Its very hard to find good people in this industry.. I am not just talking about engineers... Project Manager, Dev/Ops, Upper Management.

If you find a good person you will pay them good money to come here.. These skills in Management are very hard to find in Thailand.

Our Expat Project Managers are pulling in 300,000b or about $10,000USD per month.

You know nothing about this industry so you start going on about criminal organisation... bloody hell Armchair expert..

Yeah, right 555

Depends on what you define as a high salary

Would you consider a salary spread of THB 500 - THB1 million a month (net) a high salary ?....know quite a few people working in Thailand earning that...wink.png

The fact is when it comes to Thailand, if your skills/experience/knowledge is needed, farangistan salaries + 25% to 30% uplift + perks are not that unusual

I like how no one has realised the OP just lobbed a troll grenade in here and didn't come back, leaving everyone to bicker about the usual subjects of cheap charlies, teachers, visas, "this is how much I spend" and all that other fun

He got real advice already, 2nd job, cheaper room, don't feel you need to spend money taking GF out if you can't afford, find alternative things to do that aren't as expensive, parks, etc

wow......few days busy and now amazed what happens here.

As for the guys who think spending 20 / 40k's on food makes one a Rockefeller or Trump .....get real !

you don't have to be a VIP or Hiso nor visiting high end venues to easily come close or over that figures.

I am not making jokes or looking down on anybody......being able to survive on 20k's , OK maybe possible but is it worthwhile ?

Not even want to go deeper into it, checking on health insurance, pension funds, children funds for education, emergencies, unforeseeable events !

No idea what foreign teachers make here but if 20K's is the standard than someone is seriously taking advantage of these guys.

I know thai teachers who get more.

Only thing that comes in my mind is "market makes the price". As long there are people willing to work for that kind of money, employers will pay that kind of money !

and I don't know what some folks consider a "high income" but to automatically assume that someone in his 30's having a "high income" must be part of a criminal organization, work in boiler rooms and cheat poor retires out of their savings is pure stupidity and ignorance.

There are and there always will be high paid jobs for young guys who got the needed education, skills, courage and personal appearance. Combine this with the right opportunity to the right time and balls to take the chance - HIGH INCOME ! No need to go the criminal way !

as a matter of fact, posting such an assumption only shows what kind of career you chosen. If high income, in your book, is only possible when old than you chosen jobs where salary raises comes per schedule, same timing and same percentage as the firms plumber, cleaning lady or driver. very looong years in the firm = "high" salary.

That qualified, skilled people may ask for what they need - and get it , probably not comes to your mind.

also, to assume, just because a Thai will do a Job for 100k , there is no chance for foreigners to get 400k for the same job is pure ignorance.

There are firms who specifically ask for westerners.

As I mentioned before, my Thai Engineer gets over 100k/month , plus allowance and fuel (He is worth the money). But for some projects foreigners are required in the bidding, in our case German Engineers as Supervisor / Site Manager / Project Manager on Site. We got a few on "stand by" with daily rates from 380 Euro up. But again, skills and a working attitude are required. 2, better 3 languages fluent is a must.

Thailand is packed with subsidiaries of international firms, factories, assembly lines, distribution hubs. In our case, the automotive industry, is full of foreigners working here ( upper management, engineering, design ) . And they sure not chose TH because of the nice weather or the lovely girls. To leave a a very well paid and secure job back home got only one reason - more money !

That said, to live in Thailand is great and I would encourage anybody to do it.

To live in Thailand with a "high income" and the possibility for more....... is fantastic !

btw...to the guy who started this , not to give any response at all is a bit....disappointing.

Cheers

PM

Just wanted to say a few more tips on savings money. When in Rome...Live as the Romans do! This means eating food on the street! Watching the end of the night bakery sales at TOPS 50% off for breakfast items. A number of the fine bakeries do 50% off in the last hour in the bottom of Silom Complex. You should see the thai cueing up for breakfast rolls and pastry! There is a source of cheap cake for you! Drinking Thai coffee from a coffee cart! No Starbucks. Making coffee at home in the morning and breakfast. No need for food out. A rice cooker and finding a reputable clean source of meat and veggie toppings and you can reduce your food bill by 50% a month! And someone mentioned riding the bus from time to time. Also, your gf should get stuff from the market for you WITHOUT you being there. They can bargain but if they are weighed down by a farung the price doubles. Notice where and when the Thai que up in lines for the bargains! You will always see one knowledgeable farung standing right there for the cheap end of the day food sales etc. And eat more fresh fruit from the market. Starbucks, KFC, mcdonald's movie popcorn will turn you into a FAT FAT FAT farung in a few years. The heat is slowing your metabolism without you noticing much. Look at the pounchy sad sacks that have lived here 10 years if they still sipping Starbucks and eating burgers.

Secondly, prices have doubled almost all over the world in the last 10 years. This is not a bangkok problem. Think about the fact that 10 years from now you will have half the buying power you used to have. This will take some of the smarts out of those that are spending up a full pension now at age 60 thinking they are living the high life. At age 70 they will also start to feel the squeeze! Karma! Good Luck.

555+

Yeah, right 555

Look in your computer and see where you hard drive is made... likewise a lot of software is developed and tested in Thailand.

Its very hard to find good people in this industry.. I am not just talking about engineers... Project Manager, Dev/Ops, Upper Management.

If you find a good person you will pay them good money to come here.. These skills in Management are very hard to find in Thailand.

Our Expat Project Managers are pulling in 300,000b or about $10,000USD per month.

You know nothing about this industry so you start going on about criminal organisation... bloody hell Armchair expert..

Another non-engineer who doesn't understand what an Engineer does?

An Electrical Engineer does hardware design, software development, HW/SW testing and system integration.

Thailand only does the MANUFACTURING of hard drives sir. No need to use false pride and claim that the hard drives were designed in Thailand, because they're not.

Neither is the drivers to interface to those hard drives written/developed/tested in Thailand.

Neither is the hardware/software integration.

Neither is the system tests designed in Thailand.

Oh sure, Thais may run FAT (Factory Acceptance Testing). But they didn't design those tests.

Don't know what "engineers" are getting paid for in Thailand, but it's not engineering.

BTW, my Chromebook doesn't have a "hard drive". It has a small SSD and uses the cloud, such as Google Drive.

Google, like Amazon, makes their own servers and sure as hell doesn't have " engineers" in Thailand, 555

Edited by SiSePuede419

555+

Yes.

The op probably can't afford the internet & electric!

OP your problem is NOT how to reduce your cost of living, because you are NOT LIVING you are just EXISTING.

As others have said you need to increase your income to meet your expenses.

I am more concerned about posters tips on how to cut costs and reduce spending. NO popcorn, NO cake, No whatever. You put even the Cheap Charles to shame. Do you guys really live this life ?

OP continue to enjoy the things you like, but top of your list must be to find a new job.

hi gracas, so you think, 80% of all thais, who live with less than 20k baht a month, are not living, but just existing?

Just wanted to say a few more tips on savings money. When in Rome...Live as the Romans do! This means eating food on the street! Watching the end of the night bakery sales at TOPS 50% off for breakfast items. A number of the fine bakeries do 50% off in the last hour in the bottom of Silom Complex. You should see the thai cueing up for breakfast rolls and pastry! There is a source of cheap cake for you! Drinking Thai coffee from a coffee cart! No Starbucks. Making coffee at home in the morning and breakfast. No need for food out. A rice cooker and finding a reputable clean source of meat and veggie toppings and you can reduce your food bill by 50% a month! And someone mentioned riding the bus from time to time. Also, your gf should get stuff from the market for you WITHOUT you being there. They can bargain but if they are weighed down by a farung the price doubles. Notice where and when the Thai que up in lines for the bargains! You will always see one knowledgeable farung standing right there for the cheap end of the day food sales etc. And eat more fresh fruit from the market. Starbucks, KFC, mcdonald's movie popcorn will turn you into a FAT FAT FAT farung in a few years. The heat is slowing your metabolism without you noticing much. Look at the pounchy sad sacks that have lived here 10 years if they still sipping Starbucks and eating burgers.

Secondly, prices have doubled almost all over the world in the last 10 years. This is not a bangkok problem. Think about the fact that 10 years from now you will have half the buying power you used to have. This will take some of the smarts out of those that are spending up a full pension now at age 60 thinking they are living the high life. At age 70 they will also start to feel the squeeze! Karma! Good Luck.

Real solid practical advice in the middle of the "mine's bigger than yours" contest.

Another non-engineer who doesn't understand what an Engineer does?

An Electrical Engineer does hardware design, software development, HW/SW testing and system integration.

Thailand only does the MANUFACTURING of hard drives sir. No need to use false pride and claim that the hard drives were designed in Thailand, because they're not.

Neither is the drivers to interface to those hard drives written/developed/tested in Thailand.

Neither is the hardware/software integration.

Neither is the system tests designed in Thailand.

Oh sure, Thais may run FAT (Factory Acceptance Testing). But they didn't design those tests.

Don't know what "engineers" are getting paid for in Thailand, but it's not engineering.

BTW, my Chromebook doesn't have a "hard drive". It has a small SSD and uses the cloud, such as Google Drive.

Google, like Amazon, makes their own servers and sure as hell doesn't have " engineers" in Thailand, 555

I was an engineer in a past life.. Thailand doesn't need Engineers... or should I say they are not paid as well as PMs/Managers etc.. working for a multinational here.

We are screaming for good Project Managers now... and will transfer from anywhere if they have the skill.

Edited by wow64

wow......few days busy and now amazed what happens here.

As for the guys who think spending 20 / 40k's on food makes one a Rockefeller or Trump .....get real !

you don't have to be a VIP or Hiso nor visiting high end venues to easily come close or over that figures.

I am not making jokes or looking down on anybody......being able to survive on 20k's , OK maybe possible but is it worthwhile ?

Not even want to go deeper into it, checking on health insurance, pension funds, children funds for education, emergencies, unforeseeable events !

No idea what foreign teachers make here but if 20K's is the standard than someone is seriously taking advantage of these guys.

I know thai teachers who get more.

Only thing that comes in my mind is "market makes the price". As long there are people willing to work for that kind of money, employers will pay that kind of money !

and I don't know what some folks consider a "high income" but to automatically assume that someone in his 30's having a "high income" must be part of a criminal organization, work in boiler rooms and cheat poor retires out of their savings is pure stupidity and ignorance.

There are and there always will be high paid jobs for young guys who got the needed education, skills, courage and personal appearance. Combine this with the right opportunity to the right time and balls to take the chance - HIGH INCOME ! No need to go the criminal way !

as a matter of fact, posting such an assumption only shows what kind of career you chosen. If high income, in your book, is only possible when old than you chosen jobs where salary raises comes per schedule, same timing and same percentage as the firms plumber, cleaning lady or driver. very looong years in the firm = "high" salary.

That qualified, skilled people may ask for what they need - and get it , probably not comes to your mind.

also, to assume, just because a Thai will do a Job for 100k , there is no chance for foreigners to get 400k for the same job is pure ignorance.

There are firms who specifically ask for westerners.

As I mentioned before, my Thai Engineer gets over 100k/month , plus allowance and fuel (He is worth the money). But for some projects foreigners are required in the bidding, in our case German Engineers as Supervisor / Site Manager / Project Manager on Site. We got a few on "stand by" with daily rates from 380 Euro up. But again, skills and a working attitude are required. 2, better 3 languages fluent is a must.

Thailand is packed with subsidiaries of international firms, factories, assembly lines, distribution hubs. In our case, the automotive industry, is full of foreigners working here ( upper management, engineering, design ) . And they sure not chose TH because of the nice weather or the lovely girls. To leave a a very well paid and secure job back home got only one reason - more money !

That said, to live in Thailand is great and I would encourage anybody to do it.

To live in Thailand with a "high income" and the possibility for more....... is fantastic !

btw...to the guy who started this , not to give any response at all is a bit....disappointing.

Cheers

PM

being able to survive on 20k's , OK maybe possible but is it worthwhile ?

Are you saying that millions of Thais have meaningless lives because they can't live like a farang? 55555555

Obviously health insurance and emergency funds are seperate from monthly expense and if one can't afford those one really shouldn't be living here.

To be frank, child costs are irrelevant to a thread like this. Sensible expats with little money don't burden themselves with children, period.

Want to save money-

don't pay for meals even on the street- cook your own.

Bakeries should be the last place to buy food at any price.

Buy a jar of coffee at a supermarket- why the **** would you pay someone to add hot water to ground beans?

Why are you even mentioning fast food chains- an expensive food option in Thailand unlike the west where it's cheap food.

Shouldn't be going to cinemas- buy cheap DVDs.

Prices have only gone up significantly in Thailand for western style food. I ate local food in 1992 for 20 baht and now the same meal would cost 30 baht.