Solved

Woody1

I've been following all the development's / improvement's mentioned in various threads on here regarding the disaster that is Beach Road (and the beach, and the rest of the city)!!

It wasn't until this morning, whilst sitting outside the Amari, that it dawned on me that 90% of the passing people were of Indian or Chinese descent (PS, I have noticed them).

The point I'm trying to make is they (the tourists) are genuinely happy with the state of the place, and why wouldn't they be? It has to be a step up on Calcutta!!!!

This is paradise to them, and City Hall are going to do sweet FA whilst the coaches keep rolling in, which they will.

Ahh, never mind, back to my beer, and watching all the happy TCN's clogging the place up.

I agree totally about the other Asian holidaying here would have no problem with the condition of Thais beachs roads etc. Even the crime isnot a problem similar to home .Just read a thread where a chinese tour bus hit a drug dealer running away from the police. I bet they passengers just took it in stride could happen in China also so no problem.

Western expats & tourists are very much in the minority. Look at people sat in the hundreds of coaches or the thousands disembarking from boats on the beach. They are almost all Asian, of one hue or another. Get used to it.

If word gets back to mainland China about what a dump this place is the Chinese won't come back.

I've just spent a year in China on new sidewalks like billiard tables and wider than most Sois here. The area I was in had great cycle paths and big parks for people to enjoy trees lakes and strolling around with no traffic....where is there a place in the whole of Thailand like that ???

They also do not have 400 + cables hung overhead between each pole. All the Fibre optic and mains power cables were being run underground.

A friend of mine came down from the airport the other week on the Jomtien bus loaded with Chinese who could not stop taking pictures of the wires and found it side splitting funny.

Yes the "improvements" to beach Thai style are a joke and some people laugh at them. The ex-pats whoknow better but still hang on here know full it's not funny....by a long shot.

From seeing the slow progress on the "Tunnel" I am taking a guess that it will not be completed in 5 years. That was how long it took for them to make a mess of the Jomtien 2nd road that is falling to rubble at the South End....that is the end where you have to drive over a Kilometer back North to do a U turn to keep heading South..... Eh ? Any one driving North and wanting to cut in at the entrance is in danger of having his floor pan ripped off the underside of his car or if on a motorbike a serious crash. The road is rutted to hell and gone....

Enough....Need I say anymore ?

They also do not have 400 + cables hung overhead between each pole.

Pattaya town hall's very own wire art

Those transformer boxes often explode too. It has happened at least 5 times in my area over the last 4 years. One time it spilled oil all over the road. There was an explosion on a power line just outside my townhouse last week. It's a wonder that the power grid continues to function here. Looking at the power poles you'd think a city wide melt down was overdue.

If you haven't already, get some surge protectors to protect any valuable electronic equipment you have. I've lost appliances due to power surges.

Edited by tropo

They also do not have 400 + cables hung overhead between each pole.

Pattaya town hall's very own wire art

attachicon.gifIMG_20150209_130538 (Medium).jpg

Those transformer boxes often explode too. It has happened at least 5 times in my area over the last 4 years. One time it spilled oil all over the road. There was an explosion on a power line just outside my townhouse last week. It's a wonder that the power grid continues to function here. Looking at the power poles you'd think a city wide melt down was overdue.

If you haven't already, get some surge protectors to protect any valuable electronic equipment you have. I've lost appliances due to power surges.

PSB's, Not Good

I have tried to analyze why some of the "infrastructure" of a city in Thailand is done so differently than in their neighboring countries. For example, in Malaysia or even in the capital city of Vientien, Laos you will not see criss-cross wiring on utility poles or narrow sidewalk that seems to have the purpose of not giving the pedistrian a walkway but to provide an area to set telephone/electric poles and signs and an area for vendors to set up busines.Most of the cities in the surrounding countries have an appearance of being planned out and organized.

In Thailand,generally there seems to be a lack of foresight or planning. I think this has to do with Thailand never being a colony of a country such as France or Great Brition. All the other countries in South East Asia seen to have an idea how things are run in a city and I feel this has to do with the "colonial" influence just when many of these modern services were being set up back in the early 1900's. And what came along with the public services in these countries in South East Asia (such as the railroad, streets, electricity, sewage, and education) was the influence from the Western way/ thinking of the importance of organization, maintenance, and procedure.

True, Thailand can be proud that they were never "colonized" but choosing different public services for their people from various countries created a "hodge-podge" of puzzle pieces that didn't fit and the training/thinking didn't go with it. Just think, if a Thai has never traveled to other countries, he/she would probably think dangling electric and communication lines was the norm, or there wasn't another way to get rid of garbage except to place it along the curb or in a black plastic garbage bag and sit it on the curb of the street.

Americansiam, quote:

"True, Thailand can be proud that they were never "colonized" but choosing different public services for their people from various countries created a "hodge-podge" of puzzle pieces that didn't fit and the training/thinking didn't go with it."

Yes, Thailand can be proud that they were never colonized, but there are many ways (not just the theme of this thread) that Thai's would have been better off if they had been colonized. Their transition away from a "Mai Pen Rai" acceptance of the negative aspects of a feudalistic patronage mindset would probably have been much accelerated.