Songs of War

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two from Tom Paxton might fit in here, "My Son John"and "Jimmy Newman".

Sorry no links .

Jimmy Newman???? Do you mean Jimmy C Newman, the late American Country singer?

No, the song by Tom Paxton with the title of Jimmy Newman.

Tells a story of a wounded soldier about to be flown home, refusing to accept that his comrade in the next bed has died during the night.

From the personal of the above with Jimmy Newman to the general, sweeping landscape of Roger Waters.

He has always had an ability to write a tuneful, pretty song with angry and biting lyrics.

The song below is a good example imo,

The end of the world by a nuclear holocaust, yet the melody and rhythm conjure up images of a glass of wine over dinner overlooking a pleasant view at the end of the day

So relaxing as the human race comes to an end.

As you know rgs, RW's father was killed in WW2, I remember an interview with Keith Richards when he was asked to explain the explosion of music in the 60s

He said he could only consider it to be a reaction against WW2, after the horror,the austerity continued for years after with rationing going on well into the 50s. An orgy of creativity after so much suffering and deprivation.

Interesting to compare with German rock of the late 60s ,A determination form the post Nazi generation to make sense of their lives, yet with the past hanging over them like a tombstone, hence the grim tones.

.In the 60s all our comics were stories of the heroics of Captain Hurricane and batman Mallone, beating off the filthy Huns single- handed.It took a while for the influence of WW2 to fade

But what ever war it is, every family with a soldier away at war must dread the moment a uniformed officer walks up to the front door, looking grim.

I'm English and WE have to admit WE behaved abominably to the Irish for hundreds of years, especially during the time of the Great Famine.

Ireland's such a beautiful country, war is over.

Er, Bannork what's with this WE business, I have not behaved abominably to them. More to do with your finely honed leftist conscience possibly.

In my lifetime, in not much over a decade the USA was responsible for the deaths of 10% of the population of Vietnam, but the Vietnamese are not whipping up hatred against them, they are just getting on with life. They do not seem to have had the state, schools, homes and religion brainwashing them from birth.

Most peple/nations have behaved abominably to others or their own at some stage, no need to constantly beat yourself up over it.

If Typhoo put the T in Britain, rott put the W in we ( not me)

Apples and oranges really comparing Vietnam and Ireland. It's true it was English landlords, not me, who abused and exploited Ireland for hundreds of years, the Yanks, as you say, only occupied Vietnam for just over 10 years, plus they're not neighbours.

.At least the Queen had the grace to acknowledge the crimes of the past if not quite apologizing for them.

Everyone can forgive and move on, that's surely right, but those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.

Anyway here's a rousing rebel song for a very un pc cause from of all hings, a hippie band Love QMS

If Typhoo put the T in Britain, rott put the W in we ( not me)

Apples and oranges really comparing Vietnam and Ireland. It's true it was English landlords, not me, who abused and exploited Ireland for hundreds of years, the Yanks, as you say, only occupied Vietnam for just over 10 years, plus they're not neighbours.

.At least the Queen had the grace to acknowledge the crimes of the past if not quite apologizing for them.

Everyone can forgive and move on, that's surely right, but those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it.

Anyway here's a rousing rebel song for a very un pc cause from of all hings, a hippie band Love QMS

Very well said Bannork.

Sadly, five pages has gone over how many different wars? With all sorts of songs and feelings?

There is also some lovely poetry written by young British lads during the First World War, i can't remember their names. But i read that when i was about their age - so touching and really brought you into their Hell. I shall look through the boxes of books i have and try and find them. Some may have been made into songs or music.

And there was another one called Rupert Brookes.

I must google and read their poetry again. Just think those guys were young, and wrote and died. And their writings live on. Wonderful.

If no one has ever not read the poetry of the above people - you should. Takes away from rock music. Even writing this post i remember those poems and they make me a bit sad.

I must find out more about their lives. And also how they could write so eloquently.

Sorry, their poetry was the rock music of their time..puts you in your place.

Not that i don't like acdc or Cream or any of the music that we all love. C'mon.

Edited by Patsycat

"Goodnight Saigon" is a song written by Billy Joel, ... the men singing with Billy on this track were all Vietnam Vets...

This song says it all....... from the going to war, the fighting and how one feels after you start to grow old and how you now see what you did... and W * * was that was that all about.

The song is about a Soldier's point of view on the Vietnam war...... But applies to every Soldier who has ever been to war

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YoXd_FSdkw

---Goodnight Saigon - YouTube.mp3

Edited by Tonto21

Regarding WW1, there is a little known song "Billy McFadzean" about that young man who was posthumously awarded the VC for bravery on the Somme in 1916.

He also gets a mention in Wiki.

rgs yes you are spot on there, unfortunately my mobile isn't giving sound tonight so will have to try the pc in the morning.

Not heard Marlene Dietrich for a long time so looking forward to that too.