Doctor rules death of 69-year-old American found in Patong bed as heart failure

Lite Beer

Doctor rules death of 69-year-old American found in Patong bed as heart failure
Eakkapop Thongtub

1435457504_1.jpg

PHUKET: A doctor at Patong hospital has concluded that the cause of death of an elderly American man found dead yesterday (June 27) in a bed at his Patong residence was most likely a heart attack.

At 2:40pm, Kathu police Capt Yingyong Chuoykij was alerted by Patong resident, Ms Choey Bangkun, 46, who reported that she found her husband, Mr Douglas Charles Flynn, 69 – an American citizen – dead in his bed.

Heading the investigation Col Chaiwat Uykam of Kathu Police Station, arrived at the scene on Nanai Rd, where police found the body of the deceased covered with blanket on the bed.

When police removed the blanket, they noted that deceased, who was lying on his side, was wearing only underwear.

“A patient [hospital] admission card and medications were found in the room where the body was found. We have found no sign of foul play or assault,” Col Chaiwat said.

Ms Choey told police that Mr Douglas had suffered from heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure, and had been admitted to Patong hospital for treatment on several occasions since moving to Thailand in 2008.

Dr Ekpaiboon Cheirtonghua of Patong hospital confirmed after an examination of the body that heart failure was the cause of death.

The body is being held at Patong hospital as authorities notify the US embassy and immigration police.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/doctor-rules-death-of-69-year-old-american-found-in-patong-bed-as-heart-failure-52968.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-06-28

Was a personal friend of mine...

Doug often frequented Thai Life Fitness & Leisure (on Soi Sunset, behind Thai Pan/also rear part of Yorkshire Inn on Sansabai) This is where he spent most afternoons relaxing, he was a nice bloke and most people both Expats and Thai knew him as 'Pappa' his lady mentioned above is 'Oi' Doug leaves two daughters and I think a son back in the US, origianally hailed from Phillidelphia. Doug had a history of heart diesese from his early 40s, he had suffered 3 or 4 heart attacks over the years, then a pace maker fitted. After his last heart attack here in Patong around three years ago he had a triple by-pass. he also suffered from Diabeaties having to administer injections in the last year on a daily basis.

Doug had not been well for the last 8 weeks, his ankles were swollen and he had an ulcer just above his left ankle,he had lost a lot of weight and was quite weak, having trouble eating, he was admitted to hospital at one point and put on IVs and obs for 4/5 days early May. After coming out of hospital he seemed to gain his stregnth back up until a few weeks back, this kept him away from the pool and stuck in his home.

I have wrote this to say what I know as fact of my dear friend, while is bad news to hear it was I am afraid not unexpected, i hope his passing was as peaceful as possible,

Doug loved Thailand and the Thai people, he was a funny (very dry) intelligent man, he never drank alchol not in the last 6 years I have known him, just water on the odd evening out, he worked across the US in IT (served his 60s national service in US army as an IT specailist in the Pentagon) and finished his last fews years of work based in Tokyo prior to living here in Patong, he had not been back to the US for quite a few years to my knowledge. Oi has been a great lady and support to him and I hope she is also ok at this awful time and gets looked after, I am sure Doug will have provided for her, she done all for him.

R I P mate!

Edited by Lokie

Thanks Lokie for a tribute, which is often lacking on these pages. He sounds like a great guy to have had around :-) Remember him by his vibrancy and not by the dreadful photo attached to this article! This type of photo should be banned and certainly not reproduced here.

No worries, is what TVF is/should be about, letting people get first hand knowledge where we can without any BS.

Is good to know that Doug done exactly what he wanted to do here in Patong and Thailand, he was happy with his life here on the whole and enjoyed himself. I don't think he would have changed anything much (ok, maybe the faffing about at Immigration every year - as he just had to do a few weeks back whilst ill) For genuine people on correct visas it could, should be easier than what it is but hey-ho a whole differant thread, probably never helped in my friends demise at this time (the hours spent at Phuket immigration waiting for his renewal, with a car waiting outside - he was too ill to go on his scooter) In a decent place it could all be done locally in resort - nope not here, have to go Phuket town... kab (he's probably up there now at the immigration desk in the sky getting his papers sorted lol...

Thanks for the kind comments and likes people... smile.png

Why mentioning this?

"When police removed the blanket, they noted that the deceased was wearing only underwear"

R.I.P

All this is bad in the pic. Lokie has made nice comments about the chap. Should be the last word except for similar comments about him. BUT , here we have a pixilted pic with the comment he was only wearing underwear. I hope this was noted down in his crime investigation book , Why that comment and that sad pointless picture ?