Accommodation in Nay Pyi Taw

LiorW

Hi,

I will land in Nay Pyi Taw, with my Thai girlfriend. We'll be in Burma for two weeks.

Do you have any recommendation for a good place to stay at? What are the prices there like?

Basicaly, I'm not looking for something fancy. I'm looking for places thay look like the guesthouses, you can find for around 1000 Baht, in Bangkok/ Chiang Mai.

Also, I'll be happy to hear about attractions around that area. This is my first time in Burma.

Thanks

Nay Pyi Taw,

The capital of Myanmar?

Never been there but can guess it is very expensive. Only been to Mandalay and then up country. Maybe there are cheaper places to stay.

Mandalay was very expensive from a poor Aussies point of view. Everything in US dollars and must be fresh and absolutely in pristine condition. Or just use Kyat (Chat) the local currency. Bear in mind if you use/buy Kyat they aren't converted to any other currency anywhere.....keep some as a souvenir.

I found Myanmar to be a great country with lovely people.

Unless you have to be in Nay Pyi Daw for work, give it a miss. Although the capital (very recently built), it is a completely dead and very expensive city. Stay one night if you really have to - best fly out to any of the other destinations.

In Burma, there is Mandalay (missed that during my trips), the coast, Pagan (Bagan) where all the temples are, Inle Lake (large lake region in the middle of the country), Ngapali which is the beautiful beach area and Yangon (Rangoon) which is the old capital. Some of the country will not be open for tourism.

Very hard to recommend guesthouses as tastes are always different - what I may find charmingly rugged, you may find awful and depressing. Besides, places change all the time. Much better to take a look at Trip Advisor and such sites to find out what you are looking for. A guide book will greatly enhance your trip too.

Mate im going there friday,use the internet for information 1000-1100 kyat for $1us, Agoda has plenty of hotels etc. a bit more expensive than Thai prices but beer and smokes cheaper i will be glad to be out of Thailand,its run its race

Mate im going there friday,use the internet for information 1000-1100 kyat for $1us, Agoda has plenty of hotels etc. a bit more expensive than Thai prices but beer and smokes cheaper i will be glad to be out of Thailand,its run its race

I know all the websites to book hotel rooms with, but it's not like getting an opinion from someone who really was there.

Are you going to Nay Pyi Taw? In what kind of hotel you will stay there?

I go to Naypyidaw quite often for business and I stay at Tungapuri or zabu thiri both close to each other.

I am always there on rushed business so I dont have time to shop for hotels.

I have my own car so I am free to drive the vast expanses and cry at how poorly this place is built and what a waste of money the whole town is.

The best thing about Naypyidaw is that there are no traffic jams. Which is a big change from Yangon.

Tungapuri has a good Thai Restuarant next to it called Thai Kitchen.

There seems to be no public transport in Naypyidaw. So without a car or motorbike it is an impossible place to live as far as I can see.

This is a part of the planning that makes me cry the most. Your best bet would be to try and get taxis.

The Gem Museum is worth a visit. A drive around the parliament building is also good. If you get to visit a Ministry building you will find some very dedicated people working as public servants here.

It is worth a visit to learn about how not to build a city. Shows how completely out of touch with reality the rulers of Myanmar have been.

http://www.go-myanmar.com/naypyidaw-nay-pyi-taw

Has some good info. Try Kempinski Hotel if you want to stay at the place the US President used.

Whatever happens I cant see anyway to have a cheap holiday in Naypyidaw but you will see something rare, unbelievable and unusual.

Edited by gregk0543

Really! as most have said, give it a miss!!! I've been there (on business) and nothing there to see that isn't newly built.
You should be heading to Bagan, Mandalay or basically ANYWHERE but Nay-Pyi-Taw

Plenty of empty but expensive hotels there.

• 4 weeks later...

I go to Naypyidaw quite often for business and I stay at Tungapuri or zabu thiri both close to each other.

I am always there on rushed business so I dont have time to shop for hotels.

I have my own car so I am free to drive the vast expanses and cry at how poorly this place is built and what a waste of money the whole town is.

The best thing about Naypyidaw is that there are no traffic jams. Which is a big change from Yangon.

Tungapuri has a good Thai Restuarant next to it called Thai Kitchen.

There seems to be no public transport in Naypyidaw. So without a car or motorbike it is an impossible place to live as far as I can see.

This is a part of the planning that makes me cry the most. Your best bet would be to try and get taxis.

The Gem Museum is worth a visit. A drive around the parliament building is also good. If you get to visit a Ministry building you will find some very dedicated people working as public servants here.

It is worth a visit to learn about how not to build a city. Shows how completely out of touch with reality the rulers of Myanmar have been.

http://www.go-myanmar.com/naypyidaw-nay-pyi-taw

Has some good info. Try Kempinski Hotel if you want to stay at the place the US President used.

Whatever happens I cant see anyway to have a cheap holiday in Naypyidaw but you will see something rare, unbelievable and unusual.

I've also been going to Naypyidaw for business and always by car (with driver). However, it can be a pain knowing how to find places, because everything is so spread out and signage is almost non-existant. Sometimes Naypyidaw has simply been a one night stopover for me on my way up north or down south, depending on which way I'm travelling.

Either way, a good place to stay and quite moderately priced is the Mount Pleasant Hotel, located in Ottara Khiri, northern Naypyidaw. It's located 4km up the top of a hill, overlooking the city with great views. It's priced at just over 1000 Baht equivalent for a standard room per night - check rates on Agoda.

I last stayed there just over 3 weeks ago.

You are right that without a car, it's impossible to get around. Some locals get around on motorcycle taxis, but even these are hard to find. Even the most "central" part of town is hardly central at all, you still need a car to get around. So the first step is either arriving by car and driver from elsewhere, or hiring a driver once you land at the airport (although I don't know anyone who's ever flown into Naypyidaw, but there is an airport there).

Is it possible that I booked a room on Booking.com, for $50, and the hotel will charge me only $37?

I got the reservation confirmation from the hotel and the room is the same one as I originaly booked.

To be honest, nowhere is really central in naypyidaw unless the hotel you are staying is near the conference hotel you'll almost certainly need a car with driver. Naypyidaw is not a town you can walk anywhere or rely on public transport. You need to organize a car with driver.