As their fields dry up, Thai farmers face the threat of financial ruin

webfact

DROUGHT
As their fields dry up, farmers face the threat of financial ruin

Pratch Rujivanarom
The Nation
Pathum Thani

30263310-01_big.jpg?1435530669878
Despite the ongoing rainy season,drought is so serious that a resident can easlly walk across the dry Ping River in Kamphaneng Phet's Muang district yesterday.

BANGKOK: -- TO RICE FARMERS, ongoing drought is an imminent financial crisis. Their paddy fields remain parched this year as authorities warn locals against sowing seeds or planting seedlings on their farmland.

Now, my rented fields are empty. I hope the government will provide some help to ease my woes," said Suree Kansomngam, a farmer in the province's Nong Suea district.

She said without any yield from the field, her family would definitely have difficulty covering its daily expenses, let alone repaying debts to the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives.

She said in addition to the drought, the problem also lay in falling rice prices.

"We have to sell our crops from the last farming season at a very low price. I can sell the rice for only Bt6,000 per two cubic metres - while the cost for growing one rai of rice paddy is already up to Bt5,000," Suree lamented.

She added that now authorities have told rice farmers in the Chao Phraya River Basin to postpone growing rice.

Suree is not alone in her plight. So many rice farmers in the area are sharing the same fate.

Even those who have grown rice ahead of the authorities' warning are struggling in their own way. They have now had to pray that their paddy fields will get adequate water until they are ready for harvest. Their yield is also facing hungry rats.

Anan Bunsongsri who has 30 rai of rice paddy in Khlong Luang district said around half the rice in his fields, which were the crop from dry season and not yet ready to harvest, were eaten by the hordes of rats.

"Up to 30 cubic metres of rice have already damaged. This is the highest damaged crop as far as I can remember. I trap many rats everyday but they are still coming," Anan said. "I think it is because there is not much grown rice paddy left in the area, so they all come to find food in my fields."

He demanded authorities take more action to help the farmers because not only were their crops damaged by the drought and pests, the selling price of rice was low too.

"I have invested Bt70,000 in this crop. I don't know how much I'll gain after harvesting the rice in the next two weeks," he said.

Parts of Pathum Thani and Ayutthaya are being hit by the drought as well as many regions of the country. The water level in Raphiphat Canal and many other branch canals dried up to only few centimetres late on Friday.

This year's drought situation was more severe than the previous years. Arun Pholti has had to postpone the rainy season rice plantation until late July because of water shortage even though his paddy fields were at the head of a local irrigation canal.

"Normally, I plant the rainy season crop around the beginning of June but this year I still can't grow a new crop even if I’ve already harvested last year's crop," said Arun.

The drought has led to not only a water shortage but rat infestation here too - another major factor that could destroy the rice yield.

According to Arun, many farmers have had to abandon their fields and find a new job in the city because of the crop destruction and financial problems.

"I am luckier than many other farmers because my land is very near the irrigation canal, so my paddy field access to the water before many farmers downstream. I also run a small restaurant, so I have other sources of income. I have heard that some farmers down there have had to sell their land and move away," he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/As-their-fields-dry-up-farmers-face-the-threat-of--30263310.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-06-29

The government really should hire foreign expert help on water management. I'm sure there's much to gain from it both in times of drought and of floods.

They do have foreign experts managing their water, just look up. Thailand is not spraying their skies with aerosols from horizon to horizon daily.

If they can with geo engineering create a massive drought in California, creating one in Thailand is child's play.

This all started about 3 years ago when they US wanted to us U-Tapao airport to "study" the weather and started with the chemtrails.

Why doesn't Thailand say stop and let it rain? That's the real question in my opinion.

The government really should hire foreign expert help on water management. I'm sure there's much to gain from it both in times of drought and of floods.

I agree with you completely but it should have been done 20 or 30 years ago and then perhaps Thailand would not be in this situation now.

If the government hired foreign experts today it wouldn't help the current crisis but they could plan for the future.

I think that Thailand doesn't need any more giant dams but it does need a lot of small holding dams on klongs in the rural areas. It will takes YEARS for the main dams to fill up to the normal working levels again and all it takes to ruin it will be ignorant politicians overriding the dam management which is what happened last time in 2012 and 2011.

I agree with you completely but it should have been done 20 or 30 years ago and then perhaps Thailand would not be in this situation now.

If the government hired foreign experts today it wouldn't help the current crisis but they could plan for the future.

I think that Thailand doesn't need any more giant dams but it does need a lot of small holding dams on klongs in the rural areas. It will takes YEARS for the main dams to fill up to the normal working levels again and all it takes to ruin it will be ignorant politicians overriding the dam management which is what happened last time in 2012 and 2011.

They did have foreign experts here 20-30 years ago, and they did solve some of the problems that they had back then, namely too much water in the low-lying areas like Samut Prakan. The huge pump stations along the coast is one of the results of this. But as opposed to then, the problem now is too little water, not too much. More dams probably won't solve that, but more sensible use of the water resources may, in combination with maintaining and expanding the water distribution system which is already quite good.

Ironically, the pump stations at the coast have partly been made obsolete by the extensive building of walled industrial and housing estates that have blocked the water from reaching the coast, which was clearly shown during the 2011 flooding.

Screw those always complaining farmers who have such a cushy job - only 6 to 9 moths a year stooped over in 40 degree temperatures

rain or shine, carrying heavy loads, praying for sun, then rain and all they do is grow what we eat ! I have cornered the market on canned pork/Campbell's soups/pork& beans/sardines & enough other Western type foods to last a year, Wonder what those ivory tower Bangkokians will eat when the farmers quit ?

Screw those always complaining farmers who have such a cushy job - only 6 to 9 moths a year stooped over in 40 degree temperatures

rain or shine, carrying heavy loads, praying for sun, then rain and all they do is grow what we eat ! I have cornered the market on canned pork/Campbell's soups/pork& beans/sardines & enough other Western type foods to last a year, Wonder what those ivory tower Bangkokians will eat when the farmers quit ?

Here's a tip: make sure you have a can opener before you lock yourself into the bunker. thumbsup.gif

There is some foreign help in water management, the Chinese are busily damming the mighty MeKong river.

There is some foreign help in water management, the Chinese are busily damming the mighty MeKong river.

... and so are the Thais.

The farmers have to look into growing crops that don't need as much water than rice,,farmers in North Queensland in Australia had to do same thing.One other option they did to was putting spears in the dry riverbed (water flows all year under the riverbed) and pump irrigate the crops like corn, peanuts,sorghum,sugar cane,papaya ,tomatoes,carrots,,,and more.

The cheaper and more nutritious basmati rice from India comes to mind.

Thais never prepare for anything. It does not take much looking to see cracked and broken klongs everywhere. When water is released from the dams a lot of it just leaks away. As you leave the airport in Bangkok the the first thing you see is all the trees and flowers lining the approach road being watered...in the middle of the day when 90% will evaporate in minutes.

I see farmers watering their vegetables in the same way. They don't seem to appreciate how evaporation wastes water or the logic of watering as the sun goes down.

When the rains do come blocked drains and klongs full of rubbish result in flooding.

Yes the country does need foreign technical assistance and education in managing water but there is little or no chance that will happen because that is not the Thai way.

Weather wise, if things don't get better very soon, the Thai Government will soon have to implement a " Catastrophic Relieve Fund" to keep the affected farmers on their land for another year.

Otherwise and as a last resort, Bangkok might be flooded with "peasants " seeking some sort of gainful employment. Has Bangkok any use of thousands of new Taxi-Drivers, thousands of new Food-Stalls and thousands of new housemaids ? And all this practically overnight ?

As the News OP Comment indicates, many had to sell their land. Under these circumstances, probably for "a fistful of Baht".

Some long term investors will be a lot richer when the rain comes. By that time, 90 % of the "sellers" will be a lot poorer. As the world turns.............

Cheers.

Don't forget your tinfoil hat either.

why are they crying now.i thought yingluck made them all rich..tch..never enough for some is it....whistling.gif

Fortunately the previous reasonable revenue may see those with a little foresight through, others will carry debt that with rice at 8 baht per kg will take some considerable time to clear

As always fred, your posts are a delight to read. I was almost brought to tears with the vision of stooping farmers planting rice 6-9 months a year in 40 degree heat. facepalm.gif Such Thainess.

All around where we live (Phichit area), the rice fields are green and lush for miles and not a single bent peasant to be seen. Perhaps the Nan river helps. Most are at home in the cool watching their wide screen TVs or heading for Tesco in the late model Vigo.

They are having a slightly difficult time this year, but they won't starve since the last couple of years has seen a glut of rice thanks to the efficient rice pledging program brought to them by the PTP. I am not sure how the farming communities are doing in PTP heartland in Isaan. Many have been consigned to leaning against inactive posts.

You are obviously into healthy food yourself with the Spam, pork & beans, sardines and other lovely salty canned goods. Congrats on the stocking up ; well done.

As for the "ivory.-tower Bangcockneys", rest assured they will still be shopping at Central Food Hall, Paragon, Emporium, Foodland and Villa Market completely oblivious to any shortages. As the farmers will tell you, let the elite eat cake.

BTW 9/10 for sarcasm in your post..thumbsup.gif

I know of one crop farmers who are watching their re-sown once already rice crop fail

Can't say if they will plant again 8 baht per kg provides little incentive, however daily rice on the table next year maybe a more influential driver

Would be good if heavy rains arrive soon

Now, maybe, people can understand why the Shinawatras were very popular in rural areas.

Surely not because they made it rain every year?

More likely the increased revenues freed many from the back breaking manual reaping

Fortunately the previous reasonable revenue may see those with a little foresight through, others will carry debt that with rice at 8 baht per kg will take some considerable time to clear

"the previous reasonable revenue" was well above market price and cost the people of Thailand around a trillion baht. Farming is a business, if you can't make a decent living from it, do something else, and stop expecting other people to subsidise your inefficiency/incompetence.

"the previous reasonable revenue" was well above market price and cost the people of Thailand around a trillion baht. Farming is a business, if you can't make a decent living from it, do something else, and stop expecting other people to subsidise your inefficiency/incompetence.

You appear to be a little off line regarding the self sufficiency aspirations of the current government

Although I suspect your approach is more readily adopted in other more rewarding careers, where drought does not create such an immediate and lasting consequence

Really? Since when did self-sufficiency mean relying on a handout? Farmers elsewhere face drought, especially in my country, they plan and allow for them. Subsistence farmers can't.

Not that your family are in that category. Don't I remember you saying they did quite well out of the vote-buying rice scam?

Looking for a bite? I plead ignorance and apathy, I don't know and i don't care. Market prices should determine the price of commodities, and one segment of industry shouldn't be allowed to use their numbers to extort from other taxpayers.

Maybe a good long drought is just what this country needs to shake out the inefficient and incompetent.

Looking for a bite? I plead ignorance and apathy, I don't know and i don't care. Market prices should determine the price of commodities, and one segment of industry shouldn't be allowed to use their numbers to extort from other taxpayers.

Maybe a good long drought is just what this country needs to shake out the inefficient and incompetent.

. If you don't know and don't care why do you talk about things that you know nothing about.

Really? Since when did self-sufficiency mean relying on a handout? Farmers elsewhere face drought, especially in my country, they plan and allow for them. Subsistence farmers can't.

Not that your family are in that category. Don't I remember you saying they did quite well out of the vote-buying rice scam?

I believe your country has been known on occasion to provide and distribute a drought subsidy