Thai tourism to hit the skids if it can't overcome crises

webfact

I could be wrong but if things were cheaper I think

tourists would be back.

Thailand is no longer the cheap destination it was.

In Thailand these days the feel good factor has long since gone. Prices have rocketed with the usual " mentality " of trying to get more money from less tourists.

Condominiums. Previously in years gone by, easily affordable and better built than they are today with better materials. Nowadays, anybody with half a rai of land or less is throwing up a cheap, shabbily built condominium block. There are virtually no building or quality controls.The going rates of 3.5 million baht up for anything decent are no longer the value they were as a holiday getaway/ beach second home/ bit of fun investment. My advice for expats moving out to Thailand is, DON'T BUY, RENT! every time. The rental prices are always better value for money than the purchase prices and you can walk away as and when a condominium block standards drop, or when the area goes downhill.

Beaches and beach holidays. There are far better and cleaner beach destinations than Thailand and (nearer) in Europe and Africa. Also, your money can go further and is appreciated more and you won't get, " If you don't like it, go home " as the punchline for even the slightest complaint.

Thailand has become bored of Western tourists and believes they can and always will be replaced with Chinese,Russians and the Middle East. Yes, they complain about them, but at the end of the day, they complain about us.

Businesses, land and houses. I find the increases in these in all parts of Thailand, a nonsense, and they bear no resemblance to recognized norms in the West on business valuations. I think they basically go in their back yard with a bucket with tickets containing various prices, throw it in the air, and whichever they pull out, that is what they wish to sell at.No rhyme nor reason. Try to ask them to justify the price of something and you get the nonsensical answer " This is Thailand " which they feel justifies giving to facts and figures, sales returns or anything else.

Beer bars. It is now cheaper to drink in most places in the UK than it is in the likes of Bangkok or Pattaya. The equivalent of half a pint of lager beer such as Singha going out at 120/130 baht in a cheap beer bar equates to 5.00 a pint in a UK pub. If you go to anywhere that has shows or entertainment, the price here rises considerably and tips are expected.

Restaurants. With the exception of eating on the streets, ( Thais are complaining bitterly about these prices as well ) these have risen considerably and are now on a par with any city centre eatery in the UK with the exception of local Thai food which one expects to be cheaper in its country of origin.

Taxis. Whilst still cheaper than the UK, especially in the capital London, these are starting to climb when you look at the tollway increases, increased airport charges to hire, and the general cheating and scams that the taxi drivers try non stop to get up to, these are becoming a challenge.

Hotels. You can still get hotels considerably cheaper in all major towns and cities in Thailand than almost anywhere in the UK or main European destinations.

Hospital treatment. Thailand is no longer the destination of choice for medical tourism with a number of European countries as well as India and various other destinations offering similar, if not better care, at more affordable prices.

Clothing. Cheaper and far better quality in the UK without a doubt.The likes of Central are pretty much ridiculous.The shabby goods available in the Thai markets are now a non starter, The market standards are better and higher in the UK and prices on a par or cheaper, better made and you can take them back if you have an issue.

Adult entertainment. You can hardly find anybody wishing to go overnight without expecting 2500 - 3000 baht. Add back the bar fine and the obligatory drinks and tips,it is minimum of 5000-7500 baht (120-150 GBP ) for a night out.You can do better in Europe without the add ons of being asked to buy a house or motorbike or Gold. You also run less chance of drugs in your drink or some lunatic boyfriend coming looking for you with a gun for sleeping with his " wife "

Now, if you wish to travel Thailand and South East Asia, it can still be done and cheaply by budgeting carefully, booking your flights with the economy airlines, using search engines for affordable hotels, using public transport when possible,not buying cheap, shoddy Chinese imported goods and avoiding the local " talent? "

No, Thailand is no longer a cheap destination nor is it any longer a particularly value for money or fun destination.You must be on the ball and switched on at all times to extract the good things it has to offer and discard the bad.

Best post in 2015 - I wish some thais would read your post but they would probably tell you : This is Thailand, if you dont like it go home (just like the apologists are gonna do) ... so sad really ...

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

tourists would be back.

It was only, a week or so That ThaiVisas ran the headlines that Thailand came second only to Vietnam as the cheapest country to have a holiday is Asia.....maybe look at your own countries exchange rate (if your not American)

Just love to see the posters that state because Thailand now has a military government---& so much corruption they are thinking of next going to Vietnam or Cambodia-- Myanmar.......no one see the irony in that statement.

A lot of People both where I come from UK & lived long time NZ--Australia, are struggerling , It would seem if their is a "Grexit" (as there now naming it) The Euro will take another hit-------I will be quite surprised if the figures at the end of the year are not down for tourism world wide.

I really have to agree. Many parts of the so called "FIRST WORLD" countries are having economies that just plain suck ! That coupled with exchange rates (have to wait and see what happens to 4X markets when Greece implodes) so..... if I were the Thai government I would be very wary of posting projected tourist numbers and their benefit to the Thai economy for the fat lady is just warming up in my opinion. (for those who do not understand that saying it means the show has not started as of yet).

KarenBravo you are right. have been in patong in april-may. Its one of the worst places in Thailand now. coming for holidays more than 25 years.

its a shame what is going on there. I am waiting for the big crash and all the scum will get out there.

Karen said it right, Patong is dead now but it wont change, the locals here are like this unless you replace the people who live here.

And yes, they put prices up when its already bad. Even a friend who has a hotel, i sent her someone but her prices were kind of hight compared to hotels right in front, and she does not even have swimming pool or gym.

She told me they can go somewhere else then...

They want to sink their head up....

Was talking to my landlord today, depressed seeing only chinese tourists now, next high season will not be good probably....

Maybe if russians come back, it will help a little.

But people here just make you want to go away trying to rip you off at every corner. Really stupid.

I dont have any business here, first time i see so many shops for rent or sale....

And sitll, prices go up in some restaurants or hotels.

A diver told me the other day the same, no customers, said chinese dont go diving...

konying, on 29 Jun 2015 - 06:10, said:snapback.png

tourists would be back.

Your are talking about the package holiday people, that might see it a better alternative than say, Tunisian beaches eh?

However I do not think cheapness is the prime factor. Thailand is still relatively cheap. My country certainly is not in the top as for tourist numbers, nothing like EU countries, but over the last five years Thailand has not had good press. This is not about Mers or Coups or airlines. It has to do with friendliness, rudeness and safety. It's been getting a bad rap in travel media, both national and local. How this is to be fixed remains to be seen. I doubt Thailand is very concerned about doing anything, so it will just continue

WELL SAID

tourists would be back.

In Thailand these days the feel good factor has long since gone. Prices have rocketed with the usual " mentality " of trying to get more money from less tourists.

Condominiums. Previously in years gone by, easily affordable and better built than they are today with better materials. Nowadays, anybody with half a rai of land or less is throwing up a cheap, shabbily built condominium block. There are virtually no building or quality controls.The going rates of 3.5 million baht up for anything decent are no longer the value they were as a holiday getaway/ beach second home/ bit of fun investment. My advice for expats moving out to Thailand is, DON'T BUY, RENT! every time. The rental prices are always better value for money than the purchase prices and you can walk away as and when a condominium block standards drop, or when the area goes downhill.

Beaches and beach holidays. There are far better and cleaner beach destinations than Thailand and (nearer) in Europe and Africa. Also, your money can go further and is appreciated more and you won't get, " If you don't like it, go home " as the punchline for even the slightest complaint.

Thailand has become bored of Western tourists and believes they can and always will be replaced with Chinese,Russians and the Middle East. Yes, they complain about them, but at the end of the day, they complain about us.

Businesses, land and houses. I find the increases in these in all parts of Thailand, a nonsense, and they bear no resemblance to recognized norms in the West on business valuations. I think they basically go in their back yard with a bucket with tickets containing various prices, throw it in the air, and whichever they pull out, that is what they wish to sell at.No rhyme nor reason. Try to ask them to justify the price of something and you get the nonsensical answer " This is Thailand " which they feel justifies giving to facts and figures, sales returns or anything else.

Beer bars. It is now cheaper to drink in most places in the UK than it is in the likes of Bangkok or Pattaya. The equivalent of half a pint of lager beer such as Singha going out at 120/130 baht in a cheap beer bar equates to 5.00 a pint in a UK pub. If you go to anywhere that has shows or entertainment, the price here rises considerably and tips are expected.

Restaurants. With the exception of eating on the streets, ( Thais are complaining bitterly about these prices as well ) these have risen considerably and are now on a par with any city centre eatery in the UK with the exception of local Thai food which one expects to be cheaper in its country of origin.

Taxis. Whilst still cheaper than the UK, especially in the capital London, these are starting to climb when you look at the tollway increases, increased airport charges to hire, and the general cheating and scams that the taxi drivers try non stop to get up to, these are becoming a challenge.

Hotels. You can still get hotels considerably cheaper in all major towns and cities in Thailand than almost anywhere in the UK or main European destinations.

Hospital treatment. Thailand is no longer the destination of choice for medical tourism with a number of European countries as well as India and various other destinations offering similar, if not better care, at more affordable prices.

Clothing. Cheaper and far better quality in the UK without a doubt.The likes of Central are pretty much ridiculous.The shabby goods available in the Thai markets are now a non starter, The market standards are better and higher in the UK and prices on a par or cheaper, better made and you can take them back if you have an issue.

Adult entertainment. You can hardly find anybody wishing to go overnight without expecting 2500 - 3000 baht. Add back the bar fine and the obligatory drinks and tips,it is minimum of 5000-7500 baht (120-150 GBP ) for a night out.You can do better in Europe without the add ons of being asked to buy a house or motorbike or Gold. You also run less chance of drugs in your drink or some lunatic boyfriend coming looking for you with a gun for sleeping with his " wife "

Now, if you wish to travel Thailand and South East Asia, it can still be done and cheaply by budgeting carefully, booking your flights with the economy airlines, using search engines for affordable hotels, using public transport when possible,not buying cheap, shoddy Chinese imported goods and avoiding the local " talent? "

No, Thailand is no longer a cheap destination nor is it any longer a particularly value for money or fun destination.You must be on the ball and switched on at all times to extract the good things it has to offer and discard the bad.

Best post in 2015 - I wish some thais would read your post but they would probably tell you : This is Thailand, if you dont like it go home (just like the apologists are gonna do) ... so sad really ...

Well these same Thais will be thinking otherwise in 3 - 5 years time if things don't improve. The hundreds of thousands who work in tourist places will all have to go home and wander around their rice farms for a living

tourists would be back.

Well these same Thais will be thinking otherwise in 3 - 5 years time if things don't improve. The hundreds of thousands who work in tourist places will all have to go home and wander around their rice farms for a living

The old form of beer bars being held up by thousands of Europeans with girls offering "massat", are dying.

Millions of Chinese in buses who don't want to go to the beach is apparently the future. Sell up your beach bars guys, its dying.

tourists would be back.

Then the dangerous Issan taxi drivers, drug spiking whores and Mafia "hanger ons" will go home.

Terrific; bring it on.

Depressed numbers might just weed out the trash, clean up the beaches, and make hotels and restaurants more competitive.

Wishful thinking.

No I am not talking about packages.

Examples: in Australia I cam buy tshirt in Kmart for $5, in Thailand markets its 200 baht=$8

Female companion from a gogo can cost up to 10000 baht

Basically in past 3 years, exchange rate gone down while prices tripled.

I suggest that the T shirt bought in Thailand would have twice the quality and life of the $5 KMart model. But what I find really incongruous is someone who would quibble over a few dollars for a T shirt, paying $400 for a shag.

Even if she reckons its gold plated with a mink coat, tell her you want to rent, not buy.

You would be wrong in making such suggestion.

Just as you would be wrong in making other assumptions.

But all of that might be little hard to comprehend for some, after all it is TV and 2 week visitors know it all.

Thank you for your wise suggestions

Was in Thailand..both Bangkok and Chiang Mai for two visits for a total of 6 months last year..I accept the drinks etc are not included in my approx figures but the prices you quote are so wrong..maybe they saw you coming..1000 -2000 for bar fine is nonsense...anyway I'll agree to disagree...try Foxy lady in Chiang Mai or any of the ground floor in Nana...nowhere near those prices your mentioning..

Schools out Nana..think that's the name..2400 plus 500 bar fine...Foxy lady Chiang Mai 2000 plus 600 both LT..fact..and both really fit..one stayed with me for 3 days from Nana...sorry mate..haggle a bit more..

Perfect example of clueless.

Last year for a a total of 6 months, so another expert , lol

Once you live full time for at least 15 years, then come back to teach me.

That's a little harsh! This guy was writing about his specific experiences, and a six month sample is more than enough to get a sense of what is currently going on - far from "clueless."

I've only lived here nine years, so I'm considered "clueless," too?

It is not harsh but a reality that some need on here.

Prices have gone since last year, I am sure there are even cheaper brothels in Isaan, but that makes little to no difference as we are not discussing prices for locals, but main tourist locations such as Pattaya, Bangkok and Phuket.

If you still think you can get a companion form a gogo in bkk or pattaya for 2000 over night, then yeah you are also clueless.

Unless you willing to settle for 50 year toilet attendantthumbsup.gif

I wonder which part of Thailand Sanuk lives? Perhaps he/she belives that statistics can't be fiddled, I mean, if they can make several million tonnes of rice disappear, who's to say "creative accounting" isn't going on with TAT?

Why not jump on a plane down to Phuket for a few days and have KarenBravo give you a guided tour, and see for yourself? It's very reminiscent of "Baghdad Bob" telling the worlds media "There are no Americans in Baghdad" when other news outlets were filming them trundling about the city!!

I'd much rather hear it from the boots on the ground, rather than believe statistics, that tend to be on the creative side.

I took a trip to BKK this morning.

In all honesty i was in shock.

Not only roads were pretty empty and its a Monday, came from Pattaya via Bang Na to Silom and back in less than 4 hours.

in Silom, did not see a single foreigner. Surawong, Patpong was empty as a ghost town.

Stopped at Foodland in Patpong, may be 3 customers, all Thai.

Not sure if something was on today, but i never seen BKK so empty

Chinese, Russians, Arabs .. when the word gets out they are the majority at a tourist spot, don't expect Europeans to return for a long, long time. For Thailand, the word is already out, but the hopeful still have to come and see it by themselves. Next time .. it's somewhere else.

"Of course it would help if the Government would install Sewage Disposal Plants in Ao Nang. Krabi, Pattaya, Phuket, Koh Samui - INSTEAD of letting it run out to the sea... People have noses you know..."

It's the same in every third world country. Every urban area just pipes it's sewage into the water. I said it before and I'll say it again....only pseudo-sophiticates don't know this and insist on vacationing in polluted, dirty urban areas.

The truly sophisticated live in a simple hut on an unpolluted beach in a fishing village, with nothing to do but watch fishing boats come in or out.

While the stupid people have to show everyone how rich and successful they are by renting a giant house, at tourist prices and hang out in beach chairs on crowded, dirty polluted beaches because Bars & whores.

Quality tourists = More $$$ than sense.

Edited by SiSePuede419

A new movie The Coup No Escape due for release early September, wont help increase the tourist numbers for the high season.

I don't think it will be playing in Thailand

Gonna be banned by Junta

I agree, wont be playing/gonna be banned in Thailand. But this topic is about Thai tourism to hit the skids hit-the-fan.gif and the prospective tourists will still be able to watch in their home countries and maybe decide to holiday elsewhere.

Edited by Boycie

I've read a million of these tourism threads; and I've noticed that it's almost never tourists writing. It's guys who have lived in Thailand for years, and want to complain about their personal issues; as if those thoughts are what anyone else in the world is thinking. I must have seen it a thousand times.

Ubon Joe, and others like him, do a really great service of providing consistent, patient and factual information - it's worth repeating.

But I think a lot of (new and younger) people starting reading the forum more regularly, after the last coup; as that's when visa issues starting getting really confusing. And then even more, when all the stories about cops shaking down tourists started coming in. The forum suddenly became more like a daily news service, than an occasional question. So many well meaning people were writing confused, about being separated from their families, and having to completely uproot their lives suddenly. That was different than the other coups I'd seen before.

And, I think that what a lot of people saw here - as they started tuning in for answers - were a long-time group of older, right-wing pindividuals, calling younger people names (like 'scum', or 'druggies'), and telling them all to 'get out of Thailand!' and 'We won't miss you!'. I remember a thousand times when those younger people tried to explain that they weren't doing anything wrong, but it was always met with more accusations - flooding with these posts about 'no forgiveness!', and 'It's people like you, who...' just because someone had a short overstay problem or something. And, those individual doing that, were also very (very) pro-junta; pro martial law.

Well, here it is, one year later: the economy is down, Thailand has a tarnished image (even if younger people don't know the issues), and the word among travelers in Europe, is 'I hear it's not good for foreigners anymore.' So surprise; now prices are going up, to make up for it. Enjoy that.

I flew in this morning (Monday) on BA9 and couldn't believe how quiet Suvarnabhumi was - You have BA from London, Lufthansa from Frankfurt, KLM from Amsterdam and Air France from Paris arriving in a short space of time, not to mention smaller Asian carriers, yet there were immigration officers sitting there twiddling their thumbs!

Something definitely seemed to be up...

tourists would be back.

Your are talking about the package holiday people, that might see it a better alternative than say, Tunisian beaches eh?

However I do not think cheapness is the prime factor. Thailand is still relatively cheap. My country certainly is not in the top as for tourist numbers, nothing like EU countries, but over the last five years Thailand has not had good press. This is not about Mers or Coups or airlines. It has to do with friendliness, rudeness and safety. It's been getting a bad rap in travel media, both national and local. How this is to be fixed remains to be seen. I doubt Thailand is very concerned about doing anything, so it will just continue

No I am not talking about packages.

Examples: in Australia I cam buy tshirt in Kmart for $5, in Thailand markets its 200 baht=$8

Female companion from a gogo can cost up to 10000 baht

Basically in past 3 years, exchange rate gone down while prices tripled.

so, maybe a good plan if they aim to attract tourists whose reason for travel is neither cheap T-shirts nor expensive Go-Go dancers . . . . surely there must be other attractions in Thailand . . whistling.gif

Edited by attento

The western backpackers will keep coming in force…always.

Does anyone really care about bar stool bums and western males with their Issan, Patong, and Pattaya buys...short or long time (her game)?

Tourism is going south and the Thais with money couldn't care less what you or I think.

The junta, higher prices, and inferior goods for the tourist.

Really, what's it to any of you?

Thailand must "get with program", I don't doubt that, but all of you guys should also.

You all pipe on about tourism here in the country because you visit or live on or close to, and frequent the tourist strips.

Believe me, the Thais with wealth don't give a shit.

Tourism only contributes to a small percentage of the country's GDP, it's just you all notice it at the "coal face" so to speak, therefore feel you have experience enough to have a say.

The Junta or Mafia couldn't care less for your thoughts, input, and $$$'s.

You, as I, are just small fry.

This country will be fine.

No tourists...whatever; as others have posted, it's back to the rice field for the low class.

Remember, it's not your country.

Edited by Blackfox

Yes the glory days for tourism in Thailand are over and won't come back.

I don't care though, last 10-15 years the tourists have pushed up all prices for everything.

Now that prices are as high (or higher) then in Europe we also demand European Standards. Everything safe, clean, durable, developed, regulated and with people who are responsible for that.

Thailand didn't invest in anything to raise their standards and now it's too late.

We may see more tourists here from the Middle East.

The TAT has just launched an Islam Friendly App, to make "Thailand a more Islam Friendly Country" and make it easier for Muslims to find their way around.

We may see more tourists here from the Middle East.

The TAT has just launched an Islam Friendly App, to make "Thailand a more Islam Friendly Country" and make it easier for Muslims to find their way around.

Bet that goes down a bomb!.......cheesy.gif

Just a small input with regards to the prices rising, one place I used to frequent for meals put their prices for many meals up by 25% over the last year. Their beers are not cheap either compared to others around them. They even cut off the free Wi-fi they had. Reduced the premier league football matches shown from 5 or so down to 2. No wonder the place is empty most of the time.

If this is indicative of many places + the general (no pun intended) situation, is it surprising many are turning their backs on Thailand?

For the British, the Euro is strong and that makes Europe a cheaper place to stay and to travel to.

I doubt Thailand will ever really learn how to be competitive in what amounts to be a difficult market.

Just a small input with regards to the prices rising, one place I used to frequent for meals put their prices for many meals up by 25% over the last year. Their beers are not cheap either compared to others around them. They even cut off the free Wi-fi they had. Reduced the premier league football matches shown from 5 or so down to 2. No wonder the place is empty most of the time.

If this is indicative of many places + the general (no pun intended) situation, is it surprising many are turning their backs on Thailand?

For the British, the Euro is strong and that makes Europe a cheaper place to stay and to travel to.

I doubt Thailand will ever really learn how to be competitive in what amounts to be a difficult market.

Everything in Thailand is an oligopoly. They don't want or know how to compete in a true market.

Surely you mean for the British the Euro is weak/low against Sterling and that's why it is a cheaper and more attractive destination for UK people.

tourists would be back.

True-"Nothing will change"

Horse Shit, they will come and they will spend money as they always. Scare tactics are rampant.

The greed is getting out of hand.

Other than the usual stupidity of some of the visitors to Thailand. It is the safest place in the world to visit.

Yes things do happen, but they happen everywhere, but not near as much as in other destinations.

Put your self in harms way and you will have problems.

tuk-tuk prices, taxi rip offs, double pricing, those who complain are not the tourists, but farangs who live here and feel they are getting ripped off.

99.9% of the tourists don't know or really care, they are on vacation, they have a disposable income to spend.

Let them get on with their holiday, they don't want to hear or care that they are getting screwed, "by your standards".

Probably disagree with every statement in every sentence in that last post!

I am fairly sure business owners will too and we won't even go in to the safety aspect.

Edited by Scouse123