Thai foreign minister pledges to help Kamronwit

webfact

Foreign minister pledges to help Kamronwit

6-29-2015-10-48-50-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Foreign Ministry will try its best to help former Bangkok police chief Lt-Gen Kamronwit Thoopkrachang but it has to abide by the laws in Japan too, said Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Thanasak Patimaprakorn on Monday.

He said the Thai embassy in Tokyo had been instructed to coordinate closely with Japanese authorities concerned.

He promised help for Kamronwit during the bailing period after the ex-police chief of Bangkok was formally charged by the Japanese prosecutors.

Kamronwit was charged with illegal possession of firearms after a small handgun was found in his carry-on baggage by Japanese officials as he was about to board a THAI’s flight for Bangkok at Narita international airport in mid-June.

Meanwhile, Pol Maj-Gen Apichart Sureeboonma, commander of Thai Interpol, said Japanese prosecutors had not charged Kamronwit yet.

He said that in the worst case scenario if Kamronwit was found guilty and given a jailterm, Thailand could ask for the transfer of the convict back to Thailand to spend the rest of his term in Thai jail provided that the convict has already served one-third of the imprisonment in Japanese jail.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/foreign-minister-pledges-to-help-kamronwit

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-06-30

More top notch reporting.

The Foreign Minister promises help for Kamronwit after he was formally charged with illegal possession of a firearm.

However the OIC Thai Interpol Office says he hasn't been charged yet.

The truth is out there.

It's good to be an ex- police general aye? every one and his dog want to help you and that god forbid

you will be well looked after... all that would have been good and well, if the same caring people

would also care the same for other Thai people sitting in Japanese jails... but this is not to be,

those are a non body, while a police general is above the law....

But do not fret police general Kapronwit, the PM in shining armor is on his way to the rescue....

Edited by ezzra

Well, that coup was a bit of a waste of time wasn't it. Nothing changed at all. All efforts are being made to excuse a fellow member of the elite from his legal responsibilities to the cost of all law abiding citizens. Exactly the sort of thing the coup was supposed to have stopped happening.

Help him how?

Help confirm a story that changes as the days go by?

Tomorrow's headline to read:

'The gun was a family heirloom, given to me by my dying grandmother, she mad me promise to never travel without it'.

Have gun- will won't travel.

Edited by Manbing

Ex police generals getting "more than usual" help for illegally carrying an unregistered gun. Would a Tukk Tuk driver in the same position get the same help?

Famous Luk Kreung actress allowed to go home after causing a fatal crash.

etc etc etc ...

Will Thailand ever get out of it's "High / Low" mentality where people of a "perceived" higher status or fame being able to flaunt or ignore laws ever be changed?

I don't think so.

Thailand ... You're a disgrace.

And why should the foreign minister intervene when Thai citizen clearly breaks a serious law in a foreign country? When said citizen was so stupid in breaking said law? Stupid is, and goes to jail in foreign country, the end!

Well, that coup was a bit of a waste of time wasn't it. Nothing changed at all. All efforts are being made to excuse a fellow member of the elite from his legal responsibilities to the cost of all law abiding citizens. Exactly the sort of thing the coup was supposed to have stopped happening.

I am very disappointed

Why ! Does he deserve help ?

Most Thai citizens would have been charged and jailed by now, too much help for a stupid and irresponsible Police General, just shows what the rest of the Police are like equally stupid one must presume.

"The Foreign Ministry will try its best to help former Bangkok police chief Lt-Gen Kamronwit Thoopkrachang but it has to abide by the laws in Japan too, said Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Thanasak Patimaprakorn on Monday."

I wonder if they were abiding by Pakistani law in getting the other 5 Thai clowns (that tried to bring a gun on a plane) released?

My guess is it is just a lot easier to bribe a Pakistani than it is a Japanese official.

He who breaks the law must be punished. His current or past position is irrelevant. In fact, because of his past position, his punishment should be at least 100x more severe than for ordinary criminals of the same offence. No sympathy here.

Help him how?

Help confirm a story that changes as the days go by?

Tomorrow's headline to read:

'The gun was a family heirloom, given to me by my dying grandmother, she mad me promise to never travel without it'.

Have gun- will won't travel.

Paladin was awesome.

John Dehner was one of the great voices of radio.

Hopefully before long there will be a new episode of Locked Up Abroad featuring a Thai police general languishing in a Japanese prison.

A soap about how unfair it was that he wasn't allowed his pocket pistol in jail with him to protect himself from the Yakuza.

One of the girls in my office who is well connected says the hiso gossip is that he was set up by some one who had access to his pistol and his luggage. Something about a famous Mia Noi. If true they've done a pretty good job but conceivably a stunt like that might have only been intended to cause him a red face Swampy, assuming AOT was doing its job properly.

Edited by Dogmatix

Nothing would surprise me.

He made a big thing about going to see Thaksin,a fugitive abroad,and worse still publishing pictures receiving an award from the square faced man.

He let the Red Bull brat escape justice and has never disguised where his loyalties are.

I cannot see why he should not expect help from the opposition.

On top of that why would the Japanese let him go?

If they were going down that road he would have been released last week and the story would never have emerged.

Unlike the Thai students in Karachi he couldn't claim it wasn't his and that someone had asked him to carry a package because he is on record saying he owned the gun even tho it is illegal. Also Japanese are not corrupt, unlike Pakistanis and Thais. His red bull money can't help here but no doubt others will be putting it to good use while he is away without too many tears for him confronting suma wrestlers unarmed in the clink.