Ownership of home or apartment in Thailand

To all u guys who have usufruct / loan agreements in place....Just wondering how the timing of it all works? It looks like u can only put the usufruct in place after you have paid for the property in Ur wife's name. That sounds like she would then have a choice to reneg and simply keep the land? Can everything be done ie land purchase, tfer money to buyer, loan, and usufruct all at the same time?

I have a loan agreement in place.

I paid 10% deposit, SCB bank lent her the rest at 6.9% pa.

No need for anything foolish involving large amounts of my money.

That sounds like a good route. My girl doesnt work and is solely supported by me. Is it possible for her to get a loan under these circumstances? She does have her other property and I assume the property we were buying as collateral however her current property is on rural land, no government title is available as the land isn't fully gazetted in the lands department. She only has the bill of sale from the previous owner. Sounds dodgy but as much of the land in rural Thailand hasn't been surveyed it is quite a common thing

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ruling out condo and company, the latter in any case illegal, provides you with these options on land owned by your girlfirend or someone else:

1. Leasing over 30 years;

2. Usufruct for life;

3. Superficies for life or 30 years; or

4. Rights of Habitation.

These are perfectly legal ways of controlling you assts. However, some Land Offices are reluctant to grant control rights other than leasing despite lack of provision to do so.

See a solicitor first.

To all u guys who have usufruct / loan agreements in place....Just wondering how the timing of it all works? It looks like u can only put the usufruct in place after you have paid for the property in Ur wife's name. That sounds like she would then have a choice to reneg and simply keep the land? Can everything be done ie land purchase, tfer money to buyer, loan, and usufruct all at the same time?

There have been a number of posts in other threads about that a contract, for example usufruct, between husband and wife is void and can be annulled. In OP’s question, the talk is about girlfriend. However, if married the husband will be entitled to 50 percent in case of divorce, if no prenuptial agreement has been made stating different.

There have been a number of posts in other threads about that a contract, for example usufruct, between husband and wife is void and can be annulled. In OP’s question, the talk is about girlfriend. However, if married the husband will be entitled to 50 percent in case of divorce, if no prenuptial agreement has been made stating different.

Any legal document can be annulled. Doesn't mean it holds no weight. U need good reasons and costs a lot of money to nullify a pre nup or binding agreement. Something Ur average thai woman doesn't have the wherewithal to contest. Different if Ur fighting over millions of baht

You want me to tell you she was a hooker? What did Ur missus do before u met her? Maybe ur getting ur life mixed up with mine. How do so many here make these assumptions based on nothing.

You post that reply for what reason? So u can start a rant on "another bar girl meets stupid farang"? We'll title it "another one bites the dust". I am going to some lengths to try and protect myself. Do I sound like a fool to you?

Can't win here. I'm surprised the other side hasn't chimed in yet professing the rights of the girl

Edited by Kenny202

You want me to tell you she was a hooker? What did Ur missus do before u met her?

Mine worked in a BK snooker hall.

Stiletto heels and hot pants, you must have seen them. Drugs, gambling and Thai gangs.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Maybe that's why you have such a negative slant on the world. You sound like a normally intelligent bloke. No need for offensive and provocative comments or at least come up with something original. All been done to death here.

Rent , If you feel you need to buy consult good lawyer and do not tell her what you doing. " Loose lips sink ships "

Australian Govt has very wide reaching powers if called upon by a woman in distress, Bewarned. Maybe use prenuptial/postnuptial. again good lawyer will assist.

Rent , If you feel you need to buy consult good lawyer and do not tell her what you doing. " Loose lips sink ships "

Australian Govt has very wide reaching powers if called upon by a woman in distress, Bewarned. Maybe use prenuptial/postnuptial. again good lawyer will assist.

Australian govt unfortunately is more interested in protecting everyone except it's own citizens. But a girl here can't apply to Australia for a defacto settlement. If you get legally married here she can even if she's never set foot in Australia