Electric Converters!

Cindeet

Hello Everyone wai2.gif

I just moved to Chiang Mai from the states to teach English. While in the states I purchased several expensive electric converters for my electronics, one specifically for my hair dryer and straightener. The one I purchased for my hair dryer and straightener is the Samsonite Converter/Adapter Kit,which according to a huge electronic store in the states, Best Buy, would work for my appliances.

When using my hair straightener with the converter/adapter it burned out and no longer works, and when I plug in my hair dryer its extra hot and starts smelling so in fear that it will burn out or break I have not been able to use it. My hair dryer is a special brand and pretty pricey and I would like to continue using it without buying another one.

Yesterday I went all around town, Warorot Market, the electronic store by the Old City moat, and Pantip Plaza and no one seems to either understand me and/or have a converter for my hair dryer. Can anyone please let me know if there's somewhere in town that I can purchase a converter?

In case you need the hair dryer specifics it's a Chi Pro Hair Dryer, 1,500 Watts.

Khop khun ka,

Cindee smile.png

Somewhere midway down Chang Moi Road, after the bend in the road on the right (south) side of the road is a shop where I bought a 1,500 watt transformer for a $15 electric space heater that I bought at Home Depot the last time I was in the States. The cost for the transformer was 1,600 baht; 3 times the cost of the heater! But comfort comes first.

The store, as I recall, did not seem to sell much or any retail lamps or such. It appeared to be a supply shop for electrical contractors. I'll try to get over that way later today and see if I can take a picture of the shop. Google streetview shows most of the stores closed, so it's hard to tell what's what.

By all means don't use your appliance with a lesser wattage converter. You don't want to destroy your dryer.

Incidentally, the transformer weighs a ton! You'll be shocked surprised.

I was a bit off on how far down Chang Moi Road the shop is. It's two shops before the TMB Bank, shortly before the bend in the road. The shop is called Central Alai. The manager speaks English quite well, and knows the word "transformer." The cost for 1,500 watts is 1,700 baht..."special price for you."

post-55993-0-75835100-1435655837_thumb.j

post-55993-0-01572900-1435655846_thumb.j

I advise the OP to be careful when using his US hair driers in Thailand. Otherwise this could be an horrific accident waiting to happen, and I`m deadly serious. If he continues to use these electrical appliances, he does so at his own risk and discretion.

2 stores come into mind, the Amorn Center now located in the Computer City by the moat and Global House. But as other posters have mentioned, best to buy new electrical appliances here in Thailand, they`re cheap enough.

Better safe than sorry.