Visit to Wat Phra Tak Pha

Also known as the "Footprint temple". It is where the temple scene in Rambo 3 was made.

Just a few km south of Lamphun it is easily reached on the 116 and then the 106. The part on the 106 runs through a town so is a bit congested, but it is not long on that road before the turn off.

The view of the temple at the end of a long straight road is the best I have seen in Thailand.

The temple grounds are large with many buildings, including the hall covering the footprint.

To access the temple on top of the hill you can walk up the long staircase or by road- take the road around the temple grounds to the right, and at the T junction turn right. The road up the hill is sealed and in excellent condition making it an easy trip up.

I liked the temple on the hill more than the one below. It is small, with only a few buildings, but has an excellent vibe and spectacular views over the countryside.

Unfortunately, I was not able to ascertain which building Rambo was "working on" in the movie. There is no plaque that I could find, and no one that was there at the time that I met.

If one wishes to eat, there is food place at the lower temple, but not much other than drinks at the high temple.

I thought it was a pleasant half day trip out.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Having just checked out the temple scene on google pictures, I see that the film was made at the temple on top of the hill ( Phrathat Chedi Si Khrubaand ). It is obvious which building was in the scene.

So I was wrong about the film scene being at the footprint temple.

In the film the area was unpaved and very rough. Now it has all been paved.