Is it worth transferring a visa to a new passport?

Hi,

I have just obtained a new UK passport and have about 5 months left on my retirement visa/re-entry permit in the old one. I know I can get the visa transferred to the new passport but is it worth the hassle? I believe I can just take both passports with me when I next travel outside Thailand until I get the new retirement visa in my new passport in November.

Anyone had any problems doing this?

Thanks

Edited by phuketandsee

If you really have a "VISA" then do not worry ............ "VISAS" are never transferred ...................

Suspect you actually have an extension of stay which can and should be transferred to the new passport.

I had my tourist Visa transferred.....So "are never transferred" is wrong.

I had to transfer it because I changed it to "B" Visa.

• Like 1

There have been reports of people having problems when leaving the country that had not had there extension transferred to the new passport.

You you would also need to do the transfer if you need to do a 90 day report.

• Like 1

You are correct Beachman, it is an "extension of stay." I'm curious whether anyone has had a problem using 2 passports. I got the new one while I was in the UK and immigration at Swampy had no problem stamping me in on my new passport and entering the "admitted until" date from the extension of stay in my old passport.

If you really have a "VISA" then do not worry ............ "VISAS" are never transferred ...................

Suspect you actually have an extension of stay which can and should be transferred to the new passport.

I had my tourist Visa transferred.....So "are never transferred" is wrong.

I had to transfer it because I changed it to "B" Visa.

That would just be an annotation containing info about the visa and your old passport number. It certainly was not a visa you could use.

I have an a big stamp in my passport in Thai about the non-o visa I used for entry and the entry/permit to stay stamp that I got with it.

I got my Extention transfered in our local Immigration office in less then 15 minutes and payed 50 baht for the tipbox. I don't undertand what kind of hassel the OP means. II showed my pld passport and the new one that's all.

My Belgian passport valid five years.

Always expires a couple months before Thai one-year "visa extension" expiry date.

Thus have to renew passport after four years to still have a full year when I go for that yearly "visa extension" at CW.

I keep photocopy of old passport and visa in my wallet for eventual street check.

If I had to show my passport I'd just show the old cancelled (by consulate) passport and the new one.

I doubt I'd have problems since I do really have a valid Thai visa.

At renewal time I take both passports to CW and they do the transfer before stamping the new extension.

As I was advised by a Thai consulate in the USA, there is no need to transfer a visa (in my case, multiple-entry) to a new U.S. passport when the old one was replaced and cancelled as it was nearing expiration.

They advised just to bring both old and new passports with you to show the Thai visa stickers and stamps in the old one, even though the old passport had holes punched in it by the State Department to cancel it.

I did as advised, and there was no problem at all upon next entries into Thailand.

I cannot comment upon a re-entry permit, but assume that if the new passport was issued and dated after the insertion of that permit into the old passport, it would still work. Of course, once back in Thailand, it would probably be necessary that before leaving again, the next re-entry permit be in the currently-valid passport.

I tried to get my non-imm B visa transferred into my new passport at Swampy and they told me I had to just bring both passports next time I left the country. unsure.png

I traveled to Lao from the Mukdahan side with two passports old and new. No problems or extra fees incurred.

Did you have a valid visa from an embassy or consulate that still had additional entries allowed on it? Or did you have an extension of stay you obtained at an immigration office?

If you have a valid visa you have to use both passports until the visa expires.

If you have an extension of stay you have to have the stamps transferred at the immigration office where you got your extension.

I got my Extention transfered in our local Immigration office in less then 15 minutes and payed 50 baht for the tipbox. I don't undertand what kind of hassel the OP means. II showed my pld passport and the new one that's all.

I did mine on Koh Samui two weeks ago cost me 500 baht no receipts of course and an hour of my time !

Thai is not posible to do, if you look at your old passport then you see the last day for your Retement. This is same date when you have for last day in your old psssport..

Yiou most make a new retement in your new pssport, law from just 1 year ago.

What happens if you get a Thai Elite Visa, which is valid 5 years, in a passport valid only 4 years more. I have heard rumours that this one cannot be transferred (lets call it "Permission to stay", if you like), so you are stuck with 4 years after which you have to renew the TE. Even worse if you have a passport valid only 3 years more. Is this correct ?

What happens if you get a Thai Elite Visa, which is valid 5 years, in a passport valid only 4 years more. I have heard rumours that this one cannot be transferred (lets call it "Permission to stay", if you like), so you are stuck with 4 years after which you have to renew the TE. Even worse if you have a passport valid only 3 years more. Is this correct ?

If you get the 5 year validity PE visa it would remain valid in your old passport if you got a new one and you would use both passports on entry.

I am sure they do not require you to have 5 years validity to have it issued. That would be impossible because many countries only issue passport with 5 years validity.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

An update as I went to Phuket Immigration this morning:

They now require copies (signed by you) of every page of your old passport that has a Thai immigration stamp of any kind. They want to know your entire history.

They also require a copy of your last entry stamp if that is in your new passport as was my case

I arrived around 9 am and got ticket number 17. I thought this was promising as the transfer should be a simple matter but at 10 am was told to come back the next day (not even after lunch!) as they were "too busy" to handle more than 16 cases. I have usually had reasonable experiences at Immigration but this was a new low.

This is exactly what I meant by hassle.

• Like 1

Thai is not posible to do, if you look at your old passport then you see the last day for your Retement. This is same date when you have for last day in your old psssport..

Yiou most make a new retement in your new pssport, law from just 1 year ago.

"Yiou most make a new retement in your new pssport, law from just 1 year ago."

That only true if you applied for a retirement extension of stay and there was less than one year before your passport expires. The new extension would only be good for the life of the passport. But many people, myself included, anticipate this and get a new passport before applying for the extension even though it may be months before the passport expires. Other people get new passports because the one they are using is full, even if it doesn't expire for months or even years.

The O/P said he still had 5 months left on his visa (he apparently meant extension of stay, not a visa) and re-entry permit. Getting a new passport doesn't change that. Since he is on an extension, that extension stamp and the re-entry permit stamp will be transferred to his new passport along with a notation of his last visa and visa entry. He will still have 5 months to go before he needs a new extension even with the new passport.

Edited by Suradit69

Second update - I went back to Immigration this morning and first they said not ready (after 2 days!) and I should come back on Monday. After I persisted they found it easily but had neglected to transfer the re-entry permit. Yet more hassle.

Lesson - triple check everything before you leave.