Thai cuisine overseas: Strict rules now in place for 'Thai Select' stamp

webfact

THAI RESTAURANT
Strict rules now in place for 'Thai Select' stamp

Petchanet Pratruangkrai
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- In a move to promote Thai cuisine overseas, the Commerce Ministry will introduce stringent controls on the "Thai Select" certificate to ensure that authentic and top-quality Thai dishes are served outside of Thailand.

Nuntawan Sakuntanaga, director-general of the International Trade Promotion Department, said the ministry had decided to be strict about granting certificates after receiving complaints about low-quality and inauthentic food being served at some "Thai Select" restaurants.

"The department will send its trade representatives in 66 countries to check on the standards of Thai restaurants so as to ensure that our 'Thai Select' certificate can be trusted," she said.

As per Commerce Minister General Chatchai Sarikalya's policy, the department will map out strict conditions for granting "Thai Select" certificates to restaurants overseas to ensure that certified eateries do not spoil the country's reputation.

The priority markets that the ministry will check up on are in the European Union, the United States, Japan, China and Australia.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Strict-rules-now-in-place-for-Thai-Select-stamp-30263460.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-01

The department will send its trade representatives in 66 countries to check on the standards of Thai restaurants so as to ensure that our 'Thai Select' certificate can be trusted," she said.

As per Commerce Minister General Chatchai Sarikalya's policy, the department will map out strict conditions for granting "Thai Select" certificates to restaurants overseas to ensure that certified eateries do not spoil the country's reputation.

I really wonder if overseas Thais will want to invite a 'Thai government representative' into their restaurant?!! Likely this is something they are happy NOT to have to deal with.

It is a stretch though, when I have a two 'sweet' curry overseas I do not blame Thailand and certainly this does not spoil Thailand's reputation.

""The department will send its trade representatives in 66 countries to check on the standards of Thai restaurants so as to ensure that our 'Thai Select' certificate can be trusted," she said."

Jolly holidays for all!

And spending money from those restaurants. What larks!

In a related story, the Thai government will lobby the foreign countries involved to outlaw copy machines, to prevent bogus Thai Select certificates from being displayed by the likes of Bubba Joes Tire Shop and Somtam Emporium.

Who issued those certificates in the first place?

What was the criteria used?

Who was responsible for judging a restaurant worthy of the certificate?

Who is responsible for ensuring that restaurant is still worthy?

Is the certificate promoted?

What will the Commerce Ministry do if the owner of a certificated retaurant refuses to remove the certificate from his window, and basically tells the minister to go take a running jump at himself. "This is (insert your favourite country here), and you can't throw your weight around here. Sod off, loser! :) I'm certified and plan to stay that way."

I have no idea how food, everywhere, stopped being called food and transitioned into cuisine but Thai

GRUB is neither food or cuisine. It is rumored that"Thai Select" requires preparer to wash BOTH HANDS and

has been objected to by over 126,453 Thai "cooks " !

Oh please, what nonsense. All Thai cuisine varies across the country, each province claiming authenticity. Even the signature dishes change. Take Tom Yum Kung for example. The variances on it alone must be about 20. Clear stock, or coconut added. Fish stock or prawn head stock. Chili oil or no chili oil. What province will claim to be the originator ? Bangkok, no ! Tom Yum goes back to Ayuthaya and Sukhothai days.

And what Thai province will claim Som Tum ? None can ! It is purely a Lao dish, that has been claimed by Thailand as it's own. And there are variances there too. Peanuts or no peanuts. Pla lah or no pla lah. You never saw Som Tum in Bangkok 40 years ago, until migrations came through from Issan.

I would like to see one of these "experts" go into a Sydney Thai restaurant and say they want to inspect for authenticity. They will be walking out trying to extract a boot from you know where.

Edited by Mot Dang

Oh please, what nonsense. All Thai cuisine varies across the country, each province claiming authenticity. Even the signature dishes change. Take Tom Yum Kung for example. The variances on it alone must be about 20. Clear stock, or coconut added. Fish stock or prawn head stock. Chili oil or no chili oil. What province will claim to be the originator ? Bangkok, no ! Tom Yum goes back to Ayuthaya and Sukhothai days.

And what Thai province will claim Som Tum ? None can ! It is purely a Lao dish, that has been claimed by Thailand as it's own. And there are variances there too. Peanuts or no peanuts. Pla lah or no pla lah. You never saw Som Tum in Bangkok 40 years ago, until migrations came through from Issan.

I would like to see one of these "experts" go into a Sydney Thai restaurant and say they want to inspect for authenticity. They will be walking out trying to extract a boot from you know where.

and some of the food, if authentic not many in Sydney could eat it, as too spicy for them.

I think most of the variances are just because the cook has no clue and just mix what he thinks. I could imagine that in Bangkok there are some "semi-official" old books that gives a kind of standard.

By the way Malaysia claims that Tom Yum Kung is Malaysian food. Of course ridiculous...everywhere where it is hot, has beach and people like spicy some kind of spicy fish soup will be available.

Put fish or browns with more or less chili and vegetables in a pot and heat it is hardly a difficult food that is just once developed on this planet....Different to some special Austrian cakes or German bread

Ah, a 'Thai Select' stamp.

I wonder how much that will cost.

I was confused by the headline! I thought it was talking about "Thailand Elite", and couldn't envisage to connection to food. Compulsory Som Tam eating, perhaps?

But no doubt the cost is similar.

No one eating at a restaurant outside of Thailand cares about or has even heard of "Thai Select". This is a huge waste of money that sounds like it was thought up by someone who promised a relative a cushy job.

Lived here for 13 years now and it's passed me by.

I think most of the variances are just because the cook has no clue and just mix what he thinks. I could imagine that in Bangkok there are some "semi-official" old books that gives a kind of standard.

By the way Malaysia claims that Tom Yum Kung is Malaysian food. Of course ridiculous...everywhere where it is hot, has beach and people like spicy some kind of spicy fish soup will be available.

Put fish or browns with more or less chili and vegetables in a pot and heat it is hardly a difficult food that is just once developed on this planet....Different to some special Austrian cakes or German bread

Thanks for your comments. I have two early "cook books" in English, from about 1910. More about technique rather than a cup of this or a spoon of that. I found them in Chang Mai in 1981 while on a morning stroll thru the back lanes. Each give references to earlier Thai books, all written by old Princesses that were considered then to be the last say in Thai cooking. Some of the references go back to the mid 1800's. Recipes were certainly a lot simpler then, a lot of changes have been made since then to give us today's recipes, that are now considered to be "the last word". Availability of produce and ingredients have changed everything for the average Khun Daeng, or Khun Noi.

I love cooking Aharn Thai myself. I have a whole book shelf of Thai cook books, and some history books. My wife has banned me from buying more. Love it. That's why I stayed.

Just as a P.S., I hate "Thai-style" this and that BS recipes. Changes for the European taste.

It took 5 years say for my local to include sticky rice for certain items. They did it when it first opened and a great chef form Petchaboon of all places. However hardly anyone knew what it was so they took it off the menu. By 97 though enough people had traveled to Thailand and they put it back on.the menu.

I wonder if these PuYai Poobas will consider these factors of doing business in a foreign country?

Edited by LomSak27

Well what shit of money will be wasted again sending out representatives to check restaurants !!!!!!!

I never heard such a crazy thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If customers dont like the food they never go back to the restaurant: thats so easy ! Not need anybody from Thailand to check anything!

Better check and teach customer service in your country as Thais need that for sure!

I just googled "Thai Select" restaurants in UK,

I'd say half the top ten I have eaten in & none I would rush back to.

None of My wife's favorites are close to the top ten, need I say More.

What a complete waste of time & Money.