Anyone teaching English in Chiang Mai?

thaitar

My sister wants to teach English in Chiang Mai. She is an actual teacher by education and has professional teacher experience with general school subjects as well as English language. I am just wondering what kind of salary can she expect? Thanks!

If she is a licensed teacher in her home country, she should be applying for work at one of the international schools. Salaries are 50 - 100% higher than Thai private schools. It's their summer break at the moment, so I imagine some are looking for teachers for the new international school academic year.

Alternatively, Varee has an International school annexe and MoE approved English Program. All Thai formal schools will be very very interested in her if she has a BEd and/or teacher license from her home country.

Not hearsay nor anecdotal.

Expect 30,000 THB per month or up to 300 THB per hour for private tuition. Qualifications are useful but not very important in securing work.

If this as serious enquiry, send a message to FB Tim Collins Chiang Mai

Competition is VERY steep in Chang Mai. Your sister should only consider a local non-international school as a stepping stone to get into an international school. Working at an International school is a good career path, all the others are vows of poverty and frustration. I've worked in both, go International asap.

International school BA MA in Education 30-35K/mo

Not quite. In such good international schools as Prem, Payap and one or two others, the salaries for a really qualified teacher with a good degree in Education and/or English, are substantially higher. Why doesn't your sister apply to one of these schools?

International school BA MA in Education 30-35K/mo

Wow. I thought that was the rate paid to unqualified teachers without even a degree!

I'd hate to see what the self-funded holiday crowd are earning.

Little Mary Sunshine has no idea of the salaries. APIS, NIS, CMIS, Lanna, Varee International and Satit Rangsit Hang Dong all pay 50,000B a month plus to qualified teachers. Prem pays sometimes double that. These are the salaries the OP should be looking at as she is qualified.

Edit, missed Panyaden, not sure of the salary but should be competitive. And they have a vacancy. See their website, for grade 3.

Edited by naboo

I think 25K is about the standard, and they have a degree, too. They'd be better off in KK or UTH, but too many are afraid to step out of their western shadows. Trendy/cool places can be dreadful for employment opportunities. I saw a public school janitor position attract 800 applicants in South Lake Tahoe, complete with kids crapping in the urinals.

If she is a licensed teacher in her home country, she should be applying for work at one of the international schools. Salaries are 50 - 100% higher than Thai private schools. It's their summer break at the moment, so I imagine some are looking for teachers for the new international school academic year.

Alternatively, Varee has an International school annexe and MoE approved English Program. All Thai formal schools will be very very interested in her if she has a BEd and/or teacher license from her home country.

All international schools have their recruiting of new staff for the next academic year completed well before the end of the current year. It would be highly unlikely that there would be teaching vacancies now for next year.

Unqualified teachers get 25,000-40,000

As you stated that she is qualified please ignore the posts regarding salary around this amount

Qualified teachers get 50,000 - up

You're a little too late as most of the intl schools have finished hiring for this year

Good luck