Thai Navy chief warns of tough action for IUU fishing

webfact

Navy chief warns of tough action for IUU fishing

1-7-2558-12-11-11-wpcf_728x405.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The commander-in-chief of the Royal Thai Navy yesterday affirmed that all illegal fishing boats will face seizure and skippers arrested if they continued to fish.

The naval C-in-C Admiral Kraisorn Chansuvanich stressed that naval personnel they will carry out official orders to arrest and seize all illegal fishing boats in Thai waters.

But he stated however that the tough action will neither permitted affect native fisher-folk or local village fishermen nor will the more than 20,000 legally registered vessels have anything to fear and can carry on fishing normally.

The commander assured that with the number of legally registered fishing vessels operating, the economic consequence to the fisheries industry should be minimal.

Meanwhile the Command Centre for Combating illegal Fishing is planning to host a meeting that will attempt to ascertain the fallout from the strict enforcement of laws.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/navy-chief-warns-of-tough-action-for-iuu-fishing

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-02

Govt urges operators to approve of anti-IUU fishing campaign

BANGKOK, 2 July 2015 (NNT) - The government has pleaded with fishing boat operators affected by the campaign against illegal fishing to understand its intention to salvage the image of the country’s fishing industry.

Speaking on behalf of the government, Deputy Spokesperson of the PM Office said the government did understand and sympathize with operators who were still unable to comply with the new regulations aimed at improving the fishing industry, in line with the European Union’s requirements.

However, Col Sansern affirmed that it’s high time the country overhauled the industry to regain acceptance from importers, explaining that all types of seafood products from Thailand would risk facing a boycott if the country was unable to solve the illegal, unreported and unregulated (IUU) fishing.

The Deputy Spokesperson of the PM Office also disclosed that the government would study the impact of the crackdown on illegal fisheries on related businesses to look for proper solutions. The number of trawlerss unable to operate due to their failure to follow the government’s regulations is estimated at 2,500.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-07-02 footer_n.gif

Hopefully, the compliant legitimate operators will be laughing all the way to the bank as prices go up with supply down. And hopefully, the illegal operators are watching, tied up in port, as the legit fishermen make their money.

Sorry for us consumers....but it's the price we have to pay, and I support it.

Edited by Seastallion

Hopefully, the compliant legitimate operators will be laughing all the way to the bank as prices go up with supply down. And hopefully, the illegal operators are watching, tied up in port, as the legit fishermen make their money.

Sorry for us consumers....but it's the price we have to pay, and I support it.

Those boats tied up should also face losing their boats. They have already had 6 months to comply but instead thry played a waiting game hoping this would pass just like any other crackdown did in the past. If the boat is tied and docked they are still illegally maintained. Confiscate to boats and resell them with the proper licenses and use the money to repopulatd the thai seas with fish

They are about as tough on fishing as they are about reef protect e.g. "none" I read a whole article yesterday about how the fishing fleet wants to sit at the docks and "I'll show you" while shaking their collective fists in the air… The only reason anybody is even looking at illegal fishing is because the EU is getting ready to smack them with a “red” card if they don’t comply. This smells of the same nonsense the tour operators in Trat gave the governor about re-opening the 4 (I think it’s 4) sites that the Marine police shut done for the four months during low season to give the areas time to recoup from a year(s) for being pounded by anchors and swimmers . I just don’t understand how they can be so short sited I read in The Nation there are 42,000 boats, only 1% have the trackers and they act like this is just been brought up yesterday. The longer I live here the more gilding rubs off the “gold” in the Land of pseudo smiles…

Edited by Explorer Instructor

In the age of the internet, can anyone avoid the continued unrelenting focus on poor and unethical behaviour.

Let us not allow the fishing boats parked up to divert our attention from what is continuing in the Thai fishing industry. While I cannot see what is going on out there, legally registered trawlers do not equal ethical behaviour, to me.

This is the first time I have heard of STRICT ENFORCEMENT OF THE LAWS in Thailand. Most countries enforce laws strictly, as that is what laws are - to be obeyed - this is a first for Thailand. Finally!!! Now enforce all the other laws strictly, please.

This is the first time I have heard of STRICT ENFORCEMENT OF THE LAWS in Thailand. Most countries enforce laws strictly, as that is what laws are - to be obeyed - this is a first for Thailand. Finally!!! Now enforce all the other laws strictly, please.

If they are really serious about stopping illegal fishing trawlers then this is a truly excellent intervention that will help relieve pressure both on dwindling fish stocks, and at the same time give small-scale fishers a chance to make a better living than they are now. I wonder though if the potential huge payoffs from the owners of illegal fishing boats will in the end be too much to resist?

all boats should stop fishing at least for 5 years until the fish come back....there is no more fish in the sea, nor rivers

no thai government has been or is involved in over fishing impact. they wait until there is nothing anymore to take a decision like many of other countries too.

shame on them!

coffee1.gif

" host a meeting that will attempt to ascertain the fallout from the strict enforcement of laws."

If the Prayut regime doesn't already know the "fallout" from strict law enforcement, stopping illegal fishing is a lost case.

I have lived in Thailand for 26 years. I still don't understand why the government or other such authority have to plead, beg and compromise every time they try pass a new law or enforce the laws that are already in place. Why are the law makers and law enforcers such pussy's? What are they afraid of. My personal experience in Thailand in business is that it's a zero compromise take no prisoners culture (unless there is tea money involved). I am not suggesting that they use the illegal boats as target practice for the Thai Navy but "pleading" with these fools is down right demeaning.

In order for a country to enforce its laws strictly, it must have law and order, to begin with. I am not sure if Thailand has ever had law and order. The police do not enforce traffic safety. They have insufficient training for this. There are no really effective tourist police group. The fishing industry has never been effectively regulated, nor policed. Even the chief of the fishing regulatory agency has admitted there is insufficient funding for him to do his job. There are lax health standards. The medical industry is not sufficiently policed. There is no effective consumer protection agency. So, what exactly are THEY talking about, when they say strict enforcement of the laws? By whom? What are the penalties? Wishful thinking at best. Absolute outright betrayal of the public trust at worst.