20.000 baht overstay rule?

Can someone explain why they make you sign the form regarding new overstay rules everytime you do an extention, if they are not in effect?

I have no idea but I do wonder what would happen if you refused to sign.

I recently renewed my marriage extension at Nong Khai. Has part of the process they handed me a form which I had to sign. I cannot remember what it said precisely but they were various penalties for overstays over three months, most of which implemented a penalty of being barred from entering Thailand depending on the length of overstay and if you were caught or volunteered?

Virtually everyone who renews an extension signs that form. It is for POTENTIAL penalties if and when the rule is enacted. So far it has not been.

Can someone explain why they make you sign the form regarding new overstay rules everytime you do an extention, if they are not in effect?

Fairly obvious that you would have failed to complete the application process for a new extension and it would be denied. What could be the possible rationale for not signing?

They're doing it for the same reason you have to agree to terms before downloading apps or software or completing a sales or subscription agreement ... even though no one ever reads them. If they come into effect or negatively impact you, you can't claim ignorance (of the rules).

If they didn't warn people and suddenly imposed them, everyone would be moaning about their lack of planning or sudden unannounced rule changes and "why wasn't I told?"

It also probably served to get a number of people here on long over-stay to get them cleared up rather than wait for a possible banning from further entries.

Edited by Suradit69

How do you know that?

He's basically a mod. See this thread. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/801613-harsh-overstay-rules-ever-enforced/

Thanks for the link very interesting. So making people sign a form acknowledging harsh penalties for overstaying has no basis in the current law?

Why when we answer your questions you keep bringing up other scenarios of same question , like well maybe they are getting ready to enforce the rules,or how do we know that it obsolete ect. ? I live near Chaeng Wattena Immigration in Bangkok so am in there often for fairs and stuff held inside. I renewed my retirement extension a few months ago and did not have to sign that form. When I saw a sign outside the exit doors with those harsh rules on it I went back and asked a senior officer if those are the new rules? He replied those were proposed rules but were never approved and are not in effect.

Edited by Tony125

Some immigration offices have taken down the signs / forms about those proposed changes now. Some are a bit slower.

That, or as posters have reported here, they smile and reassure people they mean nothing.

'The form means nothing' - echoed by UbonJoe here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/801613-harsh-overstay-rules-ever-enforced/#entry9090778

It's Thailand, things happen a little slowly.

It's likely never going to come into effect (much to the chagrin of some ThaiVisa posters).

'It has been around 9 months since immigration first came out with the proposed rules and still no approval of them. Not very likely they will approved.
I think they were shot down because the only way to do it would be to change the immigration act of 1979 which sets the maximum fine of 20k baht as the only penalty.' - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/801613-harsh-overstay-rules-ever-enforced/#entry9089956
And add another 4.5 months since that post by Ubonjoe

Farcical. You overstay 11 Years and they let you back in. Dont bother retorting or anyone else for that matter as any sane individual will agree its ludicrous in the extreme.

Thankfully Thailand is a bit more laid back than the western mindset.

That said in some European countries you can be let through without a fine, or any admonishment, and are free to return. At the discretion of the IO.

Yes agreed but laid back is 1 or 2 weeks not 572 weeks. Utter joke.

Anyone who is on more than 3 month overstay unless hospitalised should have permanent immediate ban. Theres zero justification for it for overstaying 13 weeks

How do you know that?

He's basically a mod. See this thread. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/801613-harsh-overstay-rules-ever-enforced/

Thanks for the link very interesting. So making people sign a form acknowledging harsh penalties for overstaying has no basis in the current law?

Why when we answer your questions you keep bringing up other scenarios of same question , like well maybe they are getting ready to enforce the rules,or how do we know that it obsolete ect. ? I live near Chaeng Wattena Immigration in Bangkok so am in there often for fairs and stuff held inside. I renewed my retirement extension a few months ago and did not have to sign that form. When I saw a sign outside the exit doors with those harsh rules on it I went back and asked a senior officer if those are the new rules? He replied those were proposed rules but were never approved and are not in effect.

I understood the reason for this forum was to give advice and help people not criticize them for asking a question. I also live near a immigration office in fact they are practically my neighbour.

Fairly obvious that you would have failed to complete the application process for a new extension and it would be denied. What could be the possible rationale for not signing?

They're doing it for the same reason you have to agree to terms before downloading apps or software or completing a sales or subscription agreement ... even though no one ever reads them. If they come into effect or negatively impact you, you can't claim ignorance (of the rules).

If they didn't warn people and suddenly imposed them, everyone would be moaning about their lack of planning or sudden unannounced rule changes and "why wasn't I told?"

It also probably served to get a number of people here on long over-stay to get them cleared up rather than wait for a possible banning from further entries.

It was merely a question. I had no intention of not signing nor have I the intention of overstaying ever and not for one moment do I condone over stayers. However circumstances can alter without your control and the implications of being made to sign this form are a great deal more serious than ticking the yes box when downloading software etc.. Particularly for people who have been here a long time and are married with house and family.

It is always possible to break the law. That 20000 is chump change compared to what it will truly cost. Somewhere on TV they're talking about 50 satang whores.

My son phoned me once from somewhere on Earth. Said, Dad they have tutes here for .50 cents. I said, run. There is no such thing .

Son we don't do that.

It is always possible to break the law. That 20000 is chump change compared to what it will truly cost. Somewhere on TV they're talking about 50 satang whores.

My son phoned me once from somewhere on Earth. Said, Dad they have tutes here for .50 cents. I said, run. There is no such thing .

Son we don't do that.

?????????????????????????

• Like 2

I believe there is blacklisting involved but it is not nearly as severe if you do it voluntarily, which it seems like you would be doing, but I'm not sure if they view clearing it up at immigration the same as the airport.

There is no blacklist or ban for overstay. An announcement made by immigration over a year ago was never approved by a higher authority.

Thats very interesting I wonder what happened to the big crackdown,overstay for so long/banned for so long.I will never need it but very interesting.Thanks for the info

Son we don't do that.

?????????????????????????

Thats the way Brother