Thinking about CB300F

Hi, I need a bike. Ideally would want a 750cc or more but can't justify it living in my area to use for everyday getting around as well as the odd road trip. Also kicked the idea of getting a 650f or 500 as they're fairly big bikes without the solid power of a large bike or agility of a smaller.

So I'm surprised that I'm leaning towards the cb300f. I've been driving bikes for a while and figure I'd need to make some quick upgrades to it so that I won't be disappointed. Guess tyres would be the first thing to change.

Any comments on my thought process or ideas on upgrades appreciated.....thanks....

Hi, I need a bike. Ideally would want a 750cc or more but can't justify it living in my area to use for everyday getting around as well as the odd road trip. Also kicked the idea of getting a 650f or 500 as they're fairly big bikes without the solid power of a large bike or agility of a smaller.

So I'm surprised that I'm leaning towards the cb300f. I've been driving bikes for a while and figure I'd need to make some quick upgrades to it so that I won't be disappointed. Guess tyres would be the first thing to change.

Any comments on my thought process or ideas on upgrades appreciated.....thanks....

If money is an issue get a second hand cb500f.

It all totally depends on what you want to do with the bike.Haven't drive the cb300 but I've driven both the 250 and the 500. Super easy reliable and fuelefficient bikes. The 500 i rented for a roadtrip. The 250 I borrowed from a friend who was out of town for a while. And while I had that parked at my house, after 2, 3 days I switched back to use my 110cc wave for driving around town. Cant beat the agility and I am actually faster on it than on the bigger yet still small CBR250, let alone on a 500. Besides that I never think twice about where I park my old wave, if its save, if it will get scratched etc etc. I would with a bigger more expensive bike. I once did the math on buying one, knowing I would only use it on 4 maybe 5 roadtrips, for a total of not more that 20 days a year. Add in the occasional daytrip out of town and I might use it 30 days a year. I could easily argue that it isn't worth buying it for me. I'm better of renting one whenever I feel like it. It gives me less risk and resposibility and more freedom to switch. I saw the new R3 last week in the malll and it looks damn sexy, definately gonna rent that for the next roadtrip. Makes me feel glad I didn't buy anything before.

Besides all that, if the 300 drives like a 250 with slightly more power, it will be a super easy and reliable, but indeed not super exciting bike to drive.

Edited by martijn12345

It all totally depends on what you want to do with the bike.Haven't drive the cb300 but I've driven both the 250 and the 500. Super easy reliable and fuelefficient bikes. The 500 i rented for a roadtrip. The 250 I borrowed from a friend who was out of town for a while. And while I had that parked at my house, after 2, 3 days I switched back to use my 110cc wave for driving around town. Cant beat the agility and I am actually faster on it than on the bigger yet still small CBR250, let alone on a 500. Besides that I never think twice about where I park my old wave, if its save, if it will get scratched etc etc. I would with a bigger more expensive bike. I once did the math on buying one, knowing I would only use it on 4 maybe 5 roadtrips, for a total of not more that 20 days a year. Add in the occasional daytrip out of town and I might use it 30 days a year. I could easily argue that it isn't worth buying it for me. I'm better of renting one whenever I feel like it. It gives me less risk and resposibility and more freedom to switch. I saw the new R3 last week in the malll and it looks damn sexy, definately gonna rent that for the next roadtrip. Makes me feel glad I didn't buy anything before.

Besides all that, if the 300 drives like a 250 with slightly more power, it will be a super easy and reliable, but indeed not super exciting bike to drive.

The Hondas are ultra reliable and I certainly wouldn't say the CBR250 was boring. It isn't the most interesting but it can do a lot for the money. The bikes are really cheap to maintain, spares and service is extremely cheap even at the main dealers. The one thing I would say about the CBR250 (Not sure how much extra power you will get with the 300 - but it is actually only 287cc so it is only 38 cc bigger than the 250) is that on a fast highway you will tend to look for a 7th or 8th gear unless you can put up with the high revving at 140KMH.

Nice bikes, cheap to run but if I had my choice again I think I would be looking at a 500 or 650.

For running around town and back roads try the MSX, it is an extremely agile little bike but comes with a horrible seat that will make anything more than 30 minutes uncomfortable. But for popping to the shops or a bit of light off road dirt it is a fun little bike - again very cheap to run and repair.

Edited by Vogele123

I have known a number of people who bought similar Bikes. The problem is that a Bike like you suggest buying is unusual enough. That it attracts too much unwanted attention. In other words. The likelihood of it being stolen is high. Wheras, if you get a used more standard Bike. Like a 110 Wave. It is much more unlikely that it will be stolen. Few 300 many 110's.

I have never heard of any big bike being stolen in Phuket but plenty of scooters.

The 500 series from Honda have the HISS electronic lock system which is an immobilizer. Basically the key has a chip inside which results in a much more difficult to steal bike.

The cheap scooters though have really easily subverted locks. Not sure about the 250/300 series from Honda though.

A stolen scooter blends into the croud much easier and is much easier to sell. Try stealing a unique bike and ride it around without being easily picked out of the croud by police...

On top you usually want to have theft insurance so even if it happens, you'll be covered.

In other words, don't listen to philliphn's advice.

I'd take the CB650F any day over the CB300F, it handles just as well and has heeps more punch. Especially if you are a tall falang.

Where I'd take a 300, I'll take my scooter instead. But the CB300F is not a bad bike by any means.

I have the CBR300RAF, been riding it for just over a year. Not terribly powerful, but a great all around bike. I drive several times a month from Phrae to Chiang Mai through the hills and have little difficulty driving it alone (I am 1.76m, almost 90kg). Only the big hill coming into Lamphun do I ever really need to downshift, with a 10-20kg bag on my back. With second passenger, I do a bit more downshifting, but you can avoid much of it by just staying in 4th/5th gear in the hills and have the high (7000+) RPM...which is the same RPM running at 140ish kmh. Speed is not that great, I have gotten it up to 185+ on open road and feels solid, but it takes awhile to get up there, and you are running 10,000+RPM in 6th, redline is 10,600 or so.

I normally get 30-33 km/l mileage, so get a good 250-300km out of each tank. My house to Chiang Mai is about 235km, and have about 1/4 tank when I get there. With second passenger it is pretty close to fumes. Maintenance is easy, oil changes every 3k, and also have everything lubed when I do it. THB240 at the dealership every month or two.

The only thing I would recommend getting upgraded at the start is the tires...the stock ones suck if you like fast cornering or downshifting. It is first thing on my list of upgrades this summer....they also absolutely SUCK in the rain....but why would anyone but me ride a sports bike in the rain???

All around a solid bike. I like it for getting around, and posture wise is not bad for road trips. Did almost 9hrs straight on it 2 weeks ago...no back or arm pain at all, only a slightly sore ass (surely due to my being slightly overweight). For THB135,000 when it came out last year, I am pleasantly satisfied with it.

ive had 2 cbr 250s and a ninja 250, and ive test ridden an R3.

scratch R3 off your list, its just hype, the rear end is severely unrefined if you plan on riding fast, the abs is too tempermental and the back end doesnt stick very well....the power delivery is also almost identical to the ninja 250, not 300....wherever theyre getting that 39hp from, it really does not feel like it. Its good for straight line touring though, but on the twisty stuff its really awful...youre really not getting your moneys worth with the R3.

the cb300f is a great bike, i have one....i was reluctant to get one because i was so bored of the 2 previous cbr 250's ive owned. But the power is much better, plus its much much much smoother than before, vibrations are almost nonexistent now. However some models have a tank rattling problem, but the cure can be found here : Tank Rattle Solution

Top end remains the same as the cbr250, but torque is much better. Its become much more fun to ride. Putting a 13t sprocket on the cb300f does nothing for it, ive tried and it doesnt work, nothing but wasted torque there. However with a 13t sprocket on the cbr250 the performance is very similar to the cb300f/cbr300 except for top end speed.

Tire wear is much faster on the 300's, where i use to get 9000kilos from a pair of track tires, now i only get 5000 kilos. Which is a testament to the extra power. You wont be sorry with the cb300f, go for it.

I think that it depends on how much highway you will be doing. It has more than enough power around town, and the highway is fine but it won't go as fast as the speediest cars/pickups, so you have to keep an eye behind you for one closing fast.

I've taken mine from Rayong to the north, had a great ride for 10 days with no problems at all, so it can do it. Since 90% of my riding these days is commuting in town it is still fine. Yes, I'd like a bigger bike but for the money it will get the job done.

Somehow I don't like the 500 that much, but that CB®650 does look sweet. Mucho dinero though.

ive had 2 cbr 250s and a ninja 250, and ive test ridden an R3.

scratch R3 off your list, its just hype, the rear end is severely unrefined if you plan on riding fast, the abs is too tempermental and the back end doesnt stick very well....the power delivery is also almost identical to the ninja 250, not 300....wherever theyre getting that 39hp from, it really does not feel like it. Its good for straight line touring though, but on the twisty stuff its really awful...youre really not getting your moneys worth with the R3.

the cb300f is a great bike, i have one....i was reluctant to get one because i was so bored of the 2 previous cbr 250's ive owned. But the power is much better, plus its much much much smoother than before, vibrations are almost nonexistent now. However some models have a tank rattling problem, but the cure can be found here : Tank Rattle Solution

Top end remains the same as the cbr250, but torque is much better. Its become much more fun to ride. Putting a 13t sprocket on the cb300f does nothing for it, ive tried and it doesnt work, nothing but wasted torque there. However with a 13t sprocket on the cbr250 the performance is very similar to the cb300f/cbr300 except for top end speed.

Tire wear is much faster on the 300's, where i use to get 9000kilos from a pair of track tires, now i only get 5000 kilos. Which is a testament to the extra power. You wont be sorry with the cb300f, go for it.

Opinions are like <deleted> I guess as I have a ninja 250 and an R3 and the R3 is better in every conceivable way, this is from owning and riding them over many miles and not from a test ride, OP you might want to check out a few of the recent reviews and group tests for more balanced reports Motorcycle USA, on two wheels, MCN and visordown have done recent reviews and are all broadly positive about the R3 which is after all a budget starter bike

yes if you ride slow straight or on sweepers its fine, but push it hard in tight stuff and youll feel its wrath of unrefinement.

by simply suggesting the R3 is better in everyway, i know your full of BS - because it really sucks in the tight twisty stuff, the ABS is intrusive, the rear end slips and locks up easily and chirps the tires even with abs. The abs has violent kickback when activated as well.

ive been riding for 30 years, all i need is a 1 hour test ride and ill know how it handles, accelerates, brakes and takes corners.

The R3 is pure hype and one of the biggest disappointments in the handling department ive ever ridden. The abs just plain sucks and is totally unrefined.

I stopped trusting reviews because half of them are paid for. I trust my own judgement, and most those reviews agree that the rear end sucks. I suggest you watch/read them again. A lot of riders are going to go down because of that rear end and rubbish abs system.

Your ninja probably needs a valve adjustment and an oil change and plugs.

Lucky for me that your so great then and have put me right!

I will have to go and have a word with myself as I am obviously imagining it all and my opinion as an owner of both bikes is wrong...

It also looks like a lot of other people don't agree with you too as the reviews and shootouts are all saying mainly the same stuff and that is that when put up against other basic low budget starter bikes it is up with the better ones, granted I agree a lot are not overly harsh on any new bike but there are a few I would look at over some anonymous bloke on the web

just my opinion you understand...!

edited to remove naughty words and stuff

Edited by mark131v

The Hondas ( whether the 286cc , or the 471cc ) , will soon bore you , as they have done to many . Have a look at the Kawasaki 250 / 300 , both naked and fully faired , and the Yamaha R3 , which sounds the best on paper . As a "left field" option , have a look at the Benelli TNT 300 twin at 139,000 Baht .

I agree that the 300f is more of an adequate workhorse than a sport bike- not that you can't have fun on it (like you can on anything really), but if thrills are at the top of the list than I would look elsewhere.

I'm selling my 500f if your interested,,, no idea how to attach a picture.......

how much are you selling for?

Not sure mate, Ill have to work out some figures ,

has the following add ons. R&G tail tidy,R&G hugger, R&G crash protectors,R&G screen and GI Pro gear indicator

I've got the CBR300R, it's a perfect city bike but you will find yourself wanting a little more power on longer trips. Out on the open highway you may find yourself looking for a 7th gear as Vogele said. It'll do 130-140 all day long but you are at fairly high revs at that speed.

Ninja and R3 are options, but keep in mind they're about 50,000 baht more so at that point you may want to look at the Honda 500 bikes... or spend a bit more and get a 650. Depends on your needs/budget.

As many have indicated the CBR 300 is a good all around no fuss bike... cost and service good.. put honestly, you will wish for the R-3..as I do.. I wished I would have waited.

Upgrades.. keep the tires until you need to change them then upgrade.. but the stock exhaust. .man. .that poor excuse of an power outlet.. modified the exhaust with a snap on.. like the brother or the praran 6 dealers..

But if you could.. swing the CB 650 F..

Cheers on the pegsthumbsup.gif

Edited by Rhys