Read about the great work being done by Trash Hero Hua Hin

Trash Hero Hua Hin

Trash-Hero-Hua-Hin.jpg

HUA HIN:-- Every Thursday, come rain or shine, you will see a group of people walking along the Khao Takiab beach picking up discarded bottles, cigarette butts and plastic bags.
These are uncelebrated heroes in Hua Hin who call their happy group the Trash Hero and rightly so too! This small community of environmentally conscious people gather voluntarily every Thursday without fail at 3pm to clean up the Khao Takiab Beach. “It was first started by a Swiss gentleman in Koh Lipe in the south of Thailand. He started Trash Hero Thailand about 2 years ago and wanted to do it here in Hua Hin too.” Says Pennapa Kradtarn, the founder of the group who works at the Riad Hua Hin Hotel. Pennapa believes that we should give back as much as we take from nature. She expressed the need for individuals to take initiative and clean up after themselves to keep the beaches clean.
The Trash Hero’s objectives are to clean up the beaches and public areas as well as to reduce waste , especially plastic waste. They also hope to educate local residents as well as tourists to practice good waste management. She encourages others to join voluntary cleaning events to promote a healthy and clean community environment. Recently on the 6th of June, they had a special clean up session on Saturday where they were joined by friends and volunteers from Bangkok. They removed a whopping 125 kgs of trash consisting mainly of cigarette butts, plastic bags, bottles etc.
The Trash Hero is a purely non-profit, voluntary group and requires no membership or monetary contributions. All they ask for is volunteers to show up on Thursday and start cleaning, or help provide garbage bags or refreshments for the volunteers. Currently, the clean-up events happen only on the Khao Takiab beach but they are hoping to expand to other parts of Hua Hin when they have more volunteers. Trash Hero groups are also active in Ao Nang, Koh Tao and Songkla with plans to expand to Chiang Mai and Indonesia as well.
hh2d.jpg
-- Hua Hin Today 2015-07-03

This is fantastic what these people are doing, but the sad part is this is what the government should be doing. Unfortunately, the government seems to care very little about garbage strewn around the countryside.

It would also help if the government provided more convenient garage cans everywhere so people can do the right thing. I can't tell you how many times I've looked for a garbage can and it took quite some effort to find one. Often it's just a plastic bag with garbage in it that someone had started at the base of a light or electric pole.

Good !!!! Educate locals and tourists. Yes tourists are also littering, mainly cigarette buds. Locals leave all their picnic garbage behind. Fishermen throw their waste over board, dump broken nets, lines, bulbs, neon pipes and you name it in the sea.

I myself live on a lovely beach and I pick up garbage while doing my daily walk. The Thais who see me collecting just give me a grin.

One adult Thai man even threw his empty water bottle right in front of my feet. One day Thailand will be as dirty as India if they don't change things.

Three cheers to the Trash Heroes.

why there is no even one farang face on this picture? especially one of those who like to bash Thai beaches for being full of trash?

seems like to type comments is more easy for you than do something to change it?

One reason is that Thailand is not his country, so why should he do the job of the government.

Another one is that he isn't allowed to do this, he would need a work permit for it, and risks to be deported for it if he encounters the wrong bureaucrat.

Have you ever seen pictures from Thais cleaning the beaches in Spain, Portugal or another western beach resort?

why there is no even one farang face on this picture? especially one of those who like to bash Thai beaches for being full of trash?

The article states that the group was initially set up by a farang (Swiss).

Ever tried litter picking ? Most farangs who live there are getting on a bit, with a slight tummy problem (ie beer), so bending down would cause back strain - just a suggestion. But I would hope there is more than one farang quietly helping behind the scenes. Any resident farang have any info ?

The article states that the group was initially set up by a farang (Swiss).

Ever tried litter picking ? Most farangs who live there are getting on a bit, with a slight tummy problem (ie beer), so bending down would cause back strain - just a suggestion. But I would hope there is more than one farang quietly helping behind the scenes. Any resident farang have any info ?

no I never tried litter picking myself. because:

1) I never ever litter on the beaches or anywhere else

2) I never bash Thai beaches for being full of trash

if some farangs are picking trash on the beaches (like that cigarette butt guy in Pattaya) - my great respect to them.

seems like to type comments is more easy for you than do something to change it?

One reason is that Thailand is not his country, so why should he do the job of the government.

Another one is that he isn't allowed to do this, he would need a work permit for it, and risks to be deported for it if he encounters the wrong bureaucrat.

Have you ever seen pictures from Thais cleaning the beaches in Spain, Portugal or another western beach resort?

oh yeah? so farangs are here to litter but not to clean? wonderful attitude! i will send this nice quote to my Thai facebook friends, they will be happy to read this, I am sure!

no one, I mean no one, were ever prosecuted because he or she picked a trash. they can also say " oh may be meteorite is gonna kill on the beach! So I better stay in my favorite bar"

"Have you ever seen pictures from Thais cleaning the beaches in Spain, Portugal or another western beach resort?"

no. because mostly Thais don't travel abroad for beaches. they have there own.

TimmyT: just a guess but I think littering on thaibeaches has about the same % as going to whorehouses in Thailand ... :

Farang 10% - Thai 90% ....clap2.gif

Post that on your Facebook ....cheesy.gif

i think my Facebook friends are not interested to read someone's "guesses". do you have any reliable statistic data?

I've never heard of this group previously, but I will make an effort to either join them or support them as this is my local beach. The wife and I often go for evening walks along Takiab beach and we do pick up rubbish lthat could be dangerous, like broken glass etc. I'm sure tourists and locals are equally responsible for the rubbish, and it is just a matter of showing some respect for the environment. It's not that hard to clean up after yourself or put your ciggie butts in a container....

In our village in Isaan, I was always complaining to the local children who drop their litter in front of my house. Occasionaly, I would take a bag and walk up and down a few streets around the village cleaning up. It got to the stage before I left where at least around my house there was minimal litter.

Imagine my delight and surprise when I return one year later and the primary school teachers are leading the children around the village picking up litter, I kid you not, teachers included. I was delighted and made a donation to the program. Whooppee, start with the young ones, well done, keep it up Thailand, I love this place where I am, the best people and a beautiful spot, very quiet rural village. Yay

TimmyT: just a guess but I think littering on thaibeaches has about the same % as going to whorehouses in Thailand ... :

i think my Facebook friends are not interested to read someone's "guesses". do you have any reliable statistic data?

Data for whorehouses or littering ... ? The littering just require a pair of eyes and regular visits to beaches where thais have Family lunch and leave all garbage when they go home ...

Guests to Whorehouses is well known (to most) ...

There are machines that can do this job every morning very quickly. I would be reuctant to clean a beach voluntarily when it should be the municipality's job to do so.

One of the pleasures of living in LOS is the fact that you don't have Nanny State doing everything for you. However this freedom has a price, that is you have to do more for yourself including picking up your own litter. You are living in the wrong place if you think the State should do everything for you.You need to return to wherever you came from and then you can moan about the higher taxes you pay to keep your beaches litter free.

Data for whorehouses or littering ... ? The littering just require a pair of eyes and regular visits to beaches where thais have Family lunch and leave all garbage when they go home ...

Guests to Whorehouses is well known (to most) ...

when you don't have any proof it's easy to say: "everybody knows that..." "it's obvious, that..."

nothing but demagogy

There are machines that can do this job every morning very quickly. I would be reuctant to clean a beach voluntarily when it should be the municipality's job to do so.

One of the pleasures of living in LOS is the fact that you don't have Nanny State doing everything for you. However this freedom has a price, that is you have to do more for yourself including picking up your own litter. You are living in the wrong place if you think the State should do everything for you.You need to return to wherever you came from and then you can moan about the higher taxes you pay to keep your beaches litter free.

Hell's bells, where did that come from? The municipality is driving tourists away and it would be easy to do a cost/benefit analysis of clean beach versus filthy beach. I know that I will certainly be never going there again, and I should imagine that that goes for most tourists that have been there.

Great that these volunteers are doing a job, but what happens when they move on? Are you going to motivate, organise lead a new group every year? Volunteers can't afford a beach cleaner, the municipality can.

Nanny state? What's that? I was self employed for 40 years and never depended on the state for anything, so get stuffed. Oh, and grow up.

Wonder if they fancy having a go at this?

samui-rubbish-41-300x181.jpg

Samui’s garbage disposal problem is escalating out of control.

With an incinerator that has been out of action for 1 year, mountains of rubbish and waste piling up around the roads leading to the garbage site, and a garbage site full to capacity it is little wonder that the rivers and ponds in a two mile vicinity of the unit are polluted, contaminated and toxic.

Good to see that some people are making an effort to clean up the beach.

I have seen the effort at a few beaches, but it is hard to keep all garbage from

the beaches. I do try to remember to have a plastic bag with me when I wander along the beaches,

as I also feel that a little effort can go a long way. I have also seen many farang tourists being

slobs because they are away from home and their family and friends, and who cares if a stranger like

me sees them throw their cigarettes and garbage on the ground!

Good effort to the Trash Heros , and Thanks!

Bizarre logic...at best.

Other countries have higher taxes so citizems can litter and have government agencies clean up???

Littering is irresponsinle, wherever it is, and in 2015, an alien concept for any half decent person.

Education is the key to reducing litter, and heavy fines for the recalcitrants, as in Singapore.

My observation is that Thais litter far more than foreigners.

Bizarre logic...at best.

Other countries have higher taxes so citizems can litter and have government agencies clean up???

Littering is irresponsinle, wherever it is, and in 2015, an alien concept for any half decent person.

Education is the key to reducing litter, and heavy fines for the recalcitrants, as in Singapore.

My observation is that Thais litter far more than foreigners.

In Singapore it is the very public corrective work order and the trip to a magistrate that gets the attention of recalcitrant litter bugs. Not to mention the penalties are now:

1st offense: $2,000

2nd offense: $4,000

3rd+ offense: $10,000

If you aren't getting the hint the magistrate still can issue community service picking up trash. Yes Singapore does indeed have trash that needs picking up in the water ways and other public spaces. Penalties increased last year I think. Now contrast that to Thailand, where the fine isn't going to land you before the court.

Archived