Driving Car Thai to Malay

If you own your car you need the blue book and lots of money:)

They can do the number plate translation at the border and you can buy third party insurance there.

There are official limits on how long a car may be out of Thailand. I believe a week but this just means a fine to pay on return,.

Remember your Thai insurance is not valid in Malasia but some companies may allow you to extend it.

Edited by harrry

They can do the number plate translation at the border and you can buy third party insurance there.

There are official limits on how long a car may be out of Thailand. I believe a week but this just means a fine to pay on return,.

Remember your Thai insurance is not valid in Malasia but some companies may allow you to extend it.

What's the lots of money requirement for ?

What's the lots of money requirement for ?

The fines in Malasia.

What are the fines. I wish to keep it in Malay I definitely ... 6 months or more as I am on work visa.

I cannot tell you. But remember if you keep it in Malasia you must pay imprt duties and tax.

I believe the fines are related to the Thai Customs when you come back to Thailand and if you stay out too long your vehicle is not considered a Thai Vehicle so would be subject to Tax and duty as any imported vehicle is. A short period is not a problem and not that dear from what I hear but I would check further if I wanted to take a vehicle out for more than a couple of weeks.

One thing I forgot to mention is window tint. Any car with more than a very low tint is not allowed in Malasia so you will have to remove the film it this applies.

Edited by harrry

• 2 months later...

Just for information. You can drive your car easy into Malaysia after owning it for a certain time approx 6 months. This can be done with or without finance I in the car. The agent does it all for you at the border after sending all documents by email. Pick up your number plates, sticker display and insurance at border and cross. 4000thb for 3 months multi entry with car, insurance included. Easy no hassle. One thing to note is in Malaysia you can only have 40% windows UV film.