Bone Dome (helmet) advice please

Mousehound

I need to get a couple of bone dome's (helmet) and would like to get something that a) fits - I take an XL Arai and an XXL on some makes and cool.png one that actually is well made - Nolan or Bell or any good make is fine. I am concerned that there may be copies about and I don't think much of the stuff I have seen the locals wear. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get some quality gear?

Thanks

Helmet2Home down the street from Pantip has a decent selection of Shark and Real helmets. They recently removed their Shoei, Arai, etc helmets as they don't have a TIS stamp (meaning they're not approved for Thai roads, which is absolutely ridiculous as they have a way higher safety standard than some helmets that do carry the stamp), but they may be able to produce one on request...;)

Their FB page with a map- https://www.facebook.com/helmet2home

Helmet2Home down the street from Pantip has a decent selection of Shark and Real helmets. They recently removed their Shoei, Arai, etc helmets as they don't have a TIS stamp (meaning they're not approved for Thai roads, which is absolutely ridiculous as they have a way higher safety standard than some helmets that do carry the stamp), but they may be able to produce one on request...wink.png

Their FB page with a map- https://www.facebook.com/helmet2home

Thanks "Flare" - Shark would be fine. Easy place for me to get to also.

Theres a shop on the ground floor of Pantip Plaza that has high end helmets too. Shoei and Arai. Too expensive for me but then what value to you put to protect ones skull.

Ive said before....buy the best you can afford. Obviously you are so enjoy your rides and stay safe out there. wai.gif

Thanks guys - I'm not super experienced so need all the protection I can get. I'll give both those places a look and then go and have a lunch at Gecko. I made do for a few months in OZ with a cheapish helmet and then got talked into an Arai. The best thing I ever did - far more comfortable and much less wind noise. Also better visibility. If it lasts me four or five years at a couple of bucks a week I think it well worth it and if I come off it may well be the best investment ever. Now I'm looking at buying a scooter in CM I think I will need it even more than I did in OZ.

For sure..... Im currently using an LS2 helmet as I found it better fitting than others. However they (LS2) seem to all have a down side in that the rubber trim around the edge of the helmet always comes loose/off. Ive had 2 helmets and it occurred to both. Its as if the rubber shrinks in the heat. Otherwise I like the brand. The first was a composite helmet, thats one that is full face but has a flip up chin bar. Marvelous but a bit too heavy on long rides.

However..... if you know what fits your head properly, stick with it. Ive tried others that have been recommended to me but found them very uncomfortable.

What brand/size scooter are you looking at? There are a lot out there and some good second hand bargains to be made even from expats (Who tend to maintain them better). And scooters are great around town especially given the narrow streets and sois.

For sure..... Im currently using an LS2 helmet as I found it better fitting than others. However they (LS2) seem to all have a down side in that the rubber trim around the edge of the helmet always comes loose/off. Ive had 2 helmets and it occurred to both. Its as if the rubber shrinks in the heat. Otherwise I like the brand. The first was a composite helmet, thats one that is full face but has a flip up chin bar. Marvelous but a bit too heavy on long rides.

However..... if you know what fits your head properly, stick with it. Ive tried others that have been recommended to me but found them very uncomfortable.

What brand/size scooter are you looking at? There are a lot out there and some good second hand bargains to be made even from expats (Who tend to maintain them better). And scooters are great around town especially given the narrow streets and sois.

I really like the underbone style - Yamaha would be my choice. But failing that a PCX. I am a pretty heavy bloke (85K) and the cheese n kisses is not too light either. The PCX would be more comfortable and have storage but I do like the Yamahas. But I would also like manoeuvrability, as for longer trips out of town we would use the car.

Re the dome - I have a roundish face (bit like the rest of me) so the Arai suits me, but I will try anything else.

I wear a Shoei 'Neotec,' and love it. It's the most comfortable helmet I've ever worn, each on and off with its modular design, has pockets for speakers, absolutely amazing ventilation that's almost cold at highway speeds, and in white color, very comfortable even around town. The only down-side to it is that you need to lock it up if you leave it on your bike.

A PCX is a bit heavier than normal underbone scooters but from what Ive been told they are comfortable. I hired one over a year ago and did like how they handled but was too fussed on the angle of the handlebars. It wasnt a trail bike upright angle nor an easyrider laid back angle; more like something in between. As a result I always ended up with a sore lower back. Easy fix would be to just adjust the bars forward or back to the position that best suits, but as it was only a short term rental I didnt bother.

Another alternative could be the Honda Forza at 300cc. Havent riden one yet but they look good albeit bigger then the PCX.

I did rent a few Yamaha scooters too, and thought they had a bit more pep than say the PCX. probably due to weight differences.

I suppose the other factor to consider is after sales service and availability of parts including aftermarket (bling bling) parts should you wish to personalise or accessorise the bike.

Good luck and I hope you find what you are look for

I would advise that if you're going to spend the money getting a good helmet to look at the ones with removable inners. They can take a vey gentle hand wash and you can buy replacements.

(No good if you forget to take the piece of paper with the model number scribbled on it though)

facepalm.gif

Personally, I get all my bits including helmets from ebay.

The trouble is with buying decent helmets here (if you can find them), very limited range and sizes, also the mark up is huge here.

I recently bought a "Bell custom 500 " helmet via ebay, brand new $80 with $20 shipping.

Looking online in thailand the cheapest price i could find was around 9,000B and they only had one color too.

The only downside to buying online is not being able to try it on and around 14 days approx until the item arrives.

Personally I like Bell helmets, the fit is true to size and price range very reasonable.

So if you are not in a hurry for the Helmet and are happy to buy without trying on, perhaps give give ebay a go.

The only other thing you could do is if you do find a place here that stocks a helmet you like, try it on and if you are happy with the fit but not the probably overley expensive price, just buy tht same model via ebay or another internet company overseas, probably find they will have a bigger selection of colors and accessories overseas too.

Hope this helps

I've got an LS2 that I love. Had an HJC before that.

As for "scooter", I have both the PCX 150 and the Forza 300cc. PCX for the city, Forza for the highways.

But that's only till about December, when I should have my legs back, then going with a CB300f.

I have a Real helmet XS with removable linings so can be washed - very comfortable - spare visor - 1 mirrored 1 clear - DOT about 1700 baht in CM but can't remember name of the shop - not far from the bridge (again can't remember as not lived there for a year)

Thanks for all the replies - I have several helmets in OZ but don't want to wait 'till I can get there and bring two back. They are so big and awkward on the plane. Also I need those helmets in OZ anyway so thought I would pick up a couple of decent ones in CM. I find the makes vary a lot. I am XL with Arai but XXL with HJC and then some helmets seem to fit my face shape better than others. So eBay can be a problem and I can't wait that long to be honest. Posters above have mentioned a couple of names that I am unaware of - thanks for that. I shall check them out. A good helmet is a costly investment so I don't want to make any mistakes. Theft does worry me and the Arai is a monster helmet which means the inconvenience of carrying the darn thing about and I think I will look for something smaller in CM. I also like the idea of the washable lining. I also have a thin, high tensile wire lock that I can tether it to the bike through the D ring - but the helmet strap could also be cut easily of course. On my 200 SYM with a big box I can get both helmets stored but the PCX would be too small and nothing much on a Yamaha unless I fit retro box.

......................... Theft does worry me and the Arai is a monster helmet which means the inconvenience of carrying the darn thing about and I think I will look for something smaller in CM. I also like the idea of the washable lining. I also have a thin, high tensile wire lock that I can tether it to the bike through the D ring - but the helmet strap could also be cut easily of course.

That is a nice feature of a full-face helmet. You can cable-lock it through the chin bar!

Of course the really great feature is that you won't have a face like a flounder if you do a nose plant during a fall. smile.png

There is a wonderful chart on http://www.webbikeworld.com/ that lists all the various helmet manufacturers and the internal shapes of their helmets. From round to egg-shape, oval, triangular front or triangular back... This chart can tell you who sells what!

Theft does worry me and the Arai is a monster helmet which means the inconvenience of carrying the darn thing about and I think I will look for something smaller in CM.

I don't think they make them anymore, but do a search for LidSafe helmet Bag from PacSafe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nB-F2zDv0N0

You can still find them for sale online. https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_rev/78261 and eBay.

Only my experience. I do not say I have done the research others might. I have found that a GSB helmet met my needs. Removable liner, flip-up, dual face mask with sun glass slide down and good facial air circulation. Liner fits close enough that there is no play but quite comfortable.

Archived