Getting married in Thailand

There is one more thing to keep in mind. After my wife and I were married we made plans to move to the UK. In amongst other things the British embassy required photographs of our wedding at the Amphoe office in Bangkok. Unfortunately I wasn't aware of this requirement at the time so we had to go back there again and take pictures a few weeks later. Not a problem because everybody was quite helpful. We took my wife's mother for a trip to Bangkok at the same time so had pictures of proud mum in the package as well.

What did having pics taken at the Amphur office a few weeks later prove exactly? If you completed all the correct steps you would have had the right documents, so I don't know what a photo accomplished.

After having been married in Thailand (completed divorce papers and stat dec at Aust Embassy) and then submitting Thai docs for marriage ceremony at Aust Embassy, what exactly seems to be the problem. I have always said I completed all the protocols. At least one person is not only bitter, he needs to calm down, slowly imbibe on a small Leo and reflect that he should not be a know all.

Let me refresh your memory, this is what you wrote:

"I was married in the boonies of Thailand. Nine monks and the whole village attended. We had a huge wedding. My wife and I went to the Amphoe the next day to register. This is important, the Amphoe will give you the documents for marriage. (You may also need to register a place for residence) My Thai wedding with the supporting documents is recognised by the Australian Govt. I am not interested in cheating the country I was born in - re pensions. I am a proud Australian and a new and accepted resident in my village. And I love it here."

Now, I don't see anywhere here where you mention anything about showing divorce papers and then going to the Aussie embassy and doing a stat dec. If you'd been honest in the first place confusion could have been avoided. Next time disclose all the facts OK and don't try and lay your mistakes on someone else.

Now, I don't see anywhere here where you mention anything about showing divorce papers and then going to the Aussie embassy and doing a stat dec. If you'd been honest in the first place confusion could have been avoided. Next time disclose all the facts OK and don't try and lay your mistakes on someone else.

You truly are bitter and unpleasant do discuss with. Nowhere spiderorchid that you're so bitterly confronting has been "not honest". And the harsh warning of the last sentence above could be apt for a reprimand by a Judge, not on a forum exchange. You should try to be more polite really.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

I went through the whole procedure, visited the Aussie Embassy and filled out the Stat Dec swearing that I was no longer married and provided divorce papers as proof, had it all translated and sent to the Thai consulate for approval. Was all set to take a visit to the Amphur office for the actual marriage, but only then found out that I would have to notify Centrelink of the marriage and they could in fact reduce my aged pension. I thought the best thing to do was leave sleeping dogs lie, so I spent the best part of 10,000 baht for nought.

Briefly -don't need/want abuse. Most folk like to be honest however, in your case you have a village wedding to keep you and your bride happy, tell the bastards nothing. You are morally entitled to receive the 'single' rate - the requirement relates to residency period for your wife in Oz and is, in my opinion, outrageous as you are likely maintaining your lady in any case.

• Like 1

You truly are bitter and unpleasant do discuss with. Nowhere spiederorchid that you're so bitterly confronting has been "not honest". And the harsh warning of the last sentence above could be apt for a reprimand by a Judge, not a forum exchange. You should try to be more polite really.

I really could care less what your opinion of me is, when I see people making statements that omit the facts, I call that being dishonest. Then he has the gall to say I'm bitter for pointing out that he was wrong in his thinking that the Aussie government would accept his Thai marriage, and only after does he confess to the fact that he did actually sign a stat dec and showed divorce papers to the embassy. Some people just can't accept the truth, and quite honestly I can't be bothered continuing this discussion.

Edited by giddyup

I really could care less what your opinion of me is, when I see people making statements that omit the facts, I call that being dishonest. Then he has the gall to say I'm bitter for pointing out that he was wrong in his thinking that the Aussie government would accept his Thai marriage, and only after does he confess to the fact that he did actually sign a stat dec and showed divorce papers to the embassy. Some people just can't accept the truth, and quite honestly I can't be bothered continuing this discussion.

Again you do the same mistake, calling "confess" what is simply relating facts.

Good that you are leaving the discussion, have a nice day.

• Like 1

We used an attorney and it was much better. Have since became friends and colleague with another who has much more acceptable fees.

If had a do over, would have gotten married USA. Much less complex. John is UK, BKK and I'll refer you if interested.

Best of luck. About the most intelligent event in my life. Our marriage.

To the couple that wish to get married. All the best and a long and happy life together. To Pas, thanks for fending off some unwanted comments, when all I wished to do was relate the beautiful wedding experience that my wife and I had and the Thai procedures that need to be taken with the local Amphur.

There is one more thing to keep in mind. After my wife and I were married we made plans to move to the UK. In amongst other things the British embassy required photographs of our wedding at the Amphoe office in Bangkok. Unfortunately I wasn't aware of this requirement at the time so we had to go back there again and take pictures a few weeks later. Not a problem because everybody was quite helpful. We took my wife's mother for a trip to Bangkok at the same time so had pictures of proud mum in the package as well.

What did having pics taken at the Amphur office a few weeks later prove exactly? If you completed all the correct steps you would have had the right documents, so I don't know what a photo accomplished.

You're asking the wrong person my friend. Go to the British embassy and ask them.........My wife needed a visa so we did what was required by the embassy. Do you have a problem?

I have no idea about this but as I read others advise I can understand that your pension will be reduced if you get married, so why don't you just live together with your girl friend in Thailand or get married the Thai way (the one which is nor registered etc). By then you would also know if you are making the right choice to marry your girl.

Do it your self, it just means a few days on the BTS and taxis.

I used Bangkok translations, they are near chitlom bts station.

The translations will need to authenticated by government office which it way out past the IT mall.

BTS to mochit then taxi. Authentication can be quick or a few days depending on whether you want to pay an extra 1000 baht (approx.)

Bangkok translations will take care of the authentication for a fee.

I wrote a pdf document a few years on how an Australian get married in Thailand and all the paperwork required.

Let me know if you want it.

I did the "Affirmation of Freedom to Marry" myself, at the US Embassy.

I took that paperwork to a translation service. They did the translations and the trip to MFA Chaeng Wattana.

A couple of days later, the translation service called me and said to come pick up my documents.

Then it was a trip to the amphur in Bang Rak for the marriage.

As I recall the price for the translation service was reasonable and included the legwork at MFA. I had no desire to navigate that bureaucracy.

I had a hell of a job convincing the Australian Embassy that the court house in Australia ONLY issue a "copy" of ones divorce papers.

They were insisting on an original certificate.

Just be certain the papers you get from the Court House in Aus have all the necessary stamps and signatures.

The Aus Embassy in Bkk will photocopy it anyhow and then apply their own signatures but don't think you can give them a photocopy of what you receive here in Aus.

As far as doing all the run-around work, yes, I did all my own, (no agent) just double check all the translated documents.

One mistake and you're out for another attempt.

For example, the translator placed my country of birth as being England. This in spite of how he raved on about kangaroos during our initial interview.

Edited by bluejets

To giddyup. Mate, you seem to be so bitter. I have done all of the protocols and I am a married man to a Thai lady in Australia and Thailand. Next year my Thai wife and I will visit Busselton in West Australia (most of my Aussie friends are near here) Here we will have a second wedding at the jetty. I am trying to convince my wifes' son and daughter to visit as well but they are so shy. Please try not to be so negative and judgemental. What you troll is not fact

I'm not bitter, I'm pointing out the facts to you. If you think 9 monks ringing a few bells and a visit to the Amphur office constitutes a legal marriage recognised by the Aussie government you are in for a rude shock. But hey, if that's what you want to believe don't let me burst your bubble. BTW, trying to set you straight is not trolling, something else you are wrong about.

I will talk from my experience

I got married at the Amphur in BKK and it is recognised worldwide

My other choice was village wedding with all the monks etc not valid internationally, UNLESS validated at local Amphur

Or can just get married at local Amphur and again internationally legal, no monks

I chose BKK because we had to get various docs validated in BKK also BKK gives a marriage certificate in English, this was all seven years ago so things could have changed

• 2 weeks later...

I had a hell of a job convincing the Australian Embassy that the court house in Australia ONLY issue a "copy" of ones divorce papers.

They were insisting on an original certificate.

Just be certain the papers you get from the Court House in Aus have all the necessary stamps and signatures.

The Aus Embassy in Bkk will photocopy it anyhow and then apply their own signatures but don't think you can give them a photocopy of what you receive here in Aus.

As far as doing all the run-around work, yes, I did all my own, (no agent) just double check all the translated documents.

One mistake and you're out for another attempt.

For example, the translator placed my country of birth as being England. This in spite of how he raved on about kangaroos during our initial interview.

Different countries, different rules for sure...the US Embassy did not give two shits (or even one) about my divorce decree papers. They are really just witnessing (notarizing) my statement that I am free to marry.

That is fine by me.