Montana .U.S.A

Anyone remember when there was No Major Hi Way Speed Limits in Montana , DAYTIME... Signs Read..... A Reasonable and Prudent Speed for all. Trucks 60 MPH all time .Night time try stay bout 55... Low accident State till the Mandatory 50 came in. Now why is that.?.

Are you trying to make a point regarding something Thai related?

Sure it's Thai related. You just have to read between the lines, if you can do that. The OP has only avoided obvious redundancy.

There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about the lack of law enforcement on Thai highways, and people have tried to connect that to the high accident rate. The connection is fallacious, as the lion's share of the traffic accidents in Thailand involve motorcycles driven by youthful riders. The per capita rate of youthful motorcycle riders in Thailand far exceeds that of any country in the West, so the comparison of only the raw accident rates between Thailand and western countries in like comparing apples to oranges.

The OP's point is that lack of enforcement of artificial speed limits actually lowers the accident rate instead of increasing it. That may sound counter intuitive but there are a lot of traffic engineering studies out there that back this up. The accident rate is lower where traffic is allowed to flow at its "natural" speed.

It is obvious to me that the OP enjoys driving here as much as I.

And yes, I remember the glory days before the Nixon Administration imposed an ill conceived 55 mph speed limit on the entire country under threat of cutting off highway funds to any state that did not go along. That was a giant step in the Federal Government's grab of States Rights.

Yes. before Speed Limits there were less Tailgate crashes,Lane Hogs are bloody stupid here, and where Coaches cruise at 110 , yet if i nip past sensibly poping 150 to make space into clear road ahead ,a week later a fine arrives from a Camera. nothing to do with safety , just revenue. Prudent limits seem the way to go imo.

Yes. before Speed Limits there were less Tailgate crashes,Lane Hogs are bloody stupid here, and where Coaches cruise at 110 , yet if i nip past sensibly poping 150 to make space into clear road ahead ,a week later a fine arrives from a Camera. nothing to do with safety , just revenue. Prudent limits seem the way to go imo.

Yeah, damned shame about the cameras. Just a few years go there weren't any. But you can always do what I did and install a plate flipper.

I leave the plate flipped down, popping it back up only on approach to road block checks.

There are several on the market. This one is expensive, but it is the premier model; very nice: http://www.speedflip.com/

About 1.5 million vehicles registered in Montana. More than that in Bangkok alone. About 6 million cars & trucks in all of Thailand and that jumps to over 20 million if you throw in motorbikes. Might be comparing apples to oranges.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/191011/registered-private-and-commercial-us-motor-vehicles-by-state-2009/

Yeah, damned shame about the cameras. Just a few years go there weren't any. But you can always do what I did and install a plate flipper.

I leave the plate flipped down, popping it back up only on approach to road block checks.

There are several on the market. This one is expensive, but it is the premier model; very nice: http://www.speedflip.com/

They are also illegal to use on public roads if used to hide the registration plate (and there is obviously no other reason to have one) so if the plate is seen flipping on the approach to a police check point, or you forget what position the plate is in you are in trouble anyway, speeding or not.

As most plates are flat-mounted to the body here in Thailand the presence of the mechanism behind the plate will not only be ugly, but obvious.

They are also illegal to use on public roads if used to hide the registration plate (and there is obviously no other reason to have one) so if the plate is seen flipping on the approach to a police check point, or you forget what position the plate is in you are in trouble anyway, speeding or not.

As most plates are flat-mounted to the body here in Thailand the presence of the mechanism behind the plate will not only be ugly, but obvious.

I have an LED telling me the position of the plate; I won't forget. Who doesn't run through the inventory when approaching a road check (seat belt? etc.).

It's only for cameras. I would never hide from the police. If there are no people to look at the plate, does visibility matter? If a tree falls in a forest with nobody around, does it make a noise?

As for the mechanism being obvious or ugly, not a high end flipper. Mine is invisible and operates not with noisy solenoids, but with smooth and quiet servo motors.

Yep, no speed limits when off federal highways in Montana but they also have markers along the highways where there have been traffic fatalities. Seeing white crosses along the highway tends to slow you down some.

I have an LED telling me the position of the plate; I won't forget. Who doesn't run through the inventory when approaching a road check (seat belt? etc.).

It's only for cameras. I would never hide from the police. If there are no people to look at the plate, does visibility matter? If a tree falls in a forest with nobody around, does it make a noise?

As for the mechanism being obvious or ugly, not a high end flipper. Mine is invisible and operates not with noisy solenoids, but with smooth and quiet servo motors.

Many times the check points in Thailand are not obvious until you are right on top of them and many times there are officers positions before the stops to radio ahead details of those obviously committing offences.

"It's only for cameras. I would never hide from the police."

Same difference, you're hiding your vehicles identity from the police.

"If a tree falls in a forest with nobody around, does it make a noise?" Yes, it does, obviously, but what's your point?

Was driving at night across Nevada when to Montana when no speed limits......Was clicking along about 125-140 in my hemi - to this day I'll never what passed me ....... all I saw was 2 headlights coming and 2 tail lights going - couldn't even pick up a color.....

I remembered thinking man - they'd never find that guy if he went in the sage brush......Then I thought well the same would apply to me.....but somehow his speed made my speed seem sane......

Was driving at night across Nevada when to Montana when no speed limits......Was clicking along about 125-140 in my hemi - to this day I'll never what passed me ....... all I saw was 2 headlights coming and 2 tail lights going - couldn't even pick up a color.....

I remembered thinking man - they'd never find that guy if he went in the sage brush......Then I thought well the same would apply to me.....but somehow his speed made my speed seem sane......

A Spivo no doubt. 125 mph seems about right in general out there for Vets n hemi stuff sporty,thumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Andf the plate hits a person when it is down it would kill him rather than posibly only causing injury. If someone uses this they deserve to have the book thrown at them.

Andf the plate hits a person when it is down it would kill him rather than posibly only causing injury. If someone uses this they deserve to have the book thrown at them.

I am always amused by the folks on here that wish others ill fate. What a load of heart-heavy baggage to have to carry around, all the envy, hatred and bitterness. Man, I wouldn't want to be you; life is too short.

I am always amused by the folks on here that wish others ill fate. What a load of heart-heavy baggage to have to carry around, all the envy, hatred and bitterness. Man, I wouldn't want to be you; life is too short.

If you lighten up with the gloating about your obviously high-tech, high-dollar speeding fine eliminating, plate flipper, they probably won't post as much.

If you lighten up with the gloating about your obviously high-tech, high-dollar speeding fine eliminating, plate flipper, they probably won't post as much.

I hd never heard of a plate flipper until somebody wrote about it on the TV bike forum. I ended up buying two. The first one was inexpensive, from the US and operated by solenoid. No indicator of whether the plate was up or down. It worked, but was not very satisfying. So I bit the bullet and bought the nice onefrom the UK. Indicator lights, servo motors, very smooth. I really like this unit

The thing is, I learned about it because somebody took the time to share. Maybe you do not approve of a plate flipper, but somebody else might want one, and many things get shared. I got all the ants out of my house thanks to a post several years ago by a member named TongueThaied. I have both received and posted great tips. I share the plate flipper when I get a chance. If you want to know how to get rid of ALL of the ants in your house, I can share that, too. Perhaps you want some fresh kefir grains?

Frankly, I can't even imagine where your idea of "gloating" comes from. But from purely psychological point of view, I suppose people that envy imagine that the people they envy are gloating. Whatever.