Sustainable tourism for Hua Hin

webfact

Sustainable tourism for Hua Hin
ACHARA DEBOONME
THE NATION

30263799-01_big.jpg
A tricycle driver waits for passengers in Hua Hin. The high-end destination draws about 2 million visitors a year, bringing benefits mostly to hotels and restaurants, while the locals remain on the sidelines.

HUA HIN: -- Hua Hin and adjacent areas will soon come under zoning and other regulations designed to control future development in the popular tourist destinations.

Under a sustainable-tourism development plan pending the Cabinet's endorsement before September, in six districts in Phetchaburi and Prachuab Khiri Khan provinces that spread over a total area of 536,019 rai (85,760 hectares), new development projects will be controlled in line with the area's infrastructure capacity, particularly traffic, and its waste and water treatment. Along the combined coastal areas of 265 kilometres, all developments will be kept at least 50 metres from the beaches.

"This is in line with the strategy to turn the lower part of the Central Region into an agricultural, food and eco-tourism business base," said Nalikatibhag Sangsnit, director-general of the Designated Areas for Sustainable Tourism Administration (Public Organisation), or DASTA.

According to the Tourism Authority of Thailand, the area annually welcomes more than 2 million visitors, whose combined spending is about Bt10 billion. Yet, this introduces environmental problems, chiefly water and waste treatment as well as traffic congestion.

Under the plan, Hua Hin, Cha-am and Pran Buri will be designated for high-end tourism development, while other areas will be promoted for family travellers, agricultural tourism and eco- and community tourism.

Urban areas will be clearly defined along with accommodation development zones, with the creation of more green areas.

Tourist targets will be set in line with infrastructure capacity, while the city plan will be adjusted, as well as building heights.

Better management is sought for public venues, and central waste- and water-treatment centres are included in the plan.

Wave barriers will be put up to prevent further coastal erosion, and a public transport system is also planned for Hua Hin.

Nalikatibhag said that success depended on the engagement of local residents and business operators.

"DASTA has so far won public support, as our main objective is to make sure that tourism development is sustainable and that benefits truly go to local communities," he explained.

The plan for Hua Hin and adjacent areas is supported by 96.31 per cent of local residents, he added.

Established in 2003, DASTA now supervises the development of six designated areas: Koh Chang (low-carbon destination), Pattaya ('greenovative' tourism city), Sukhothai-Si Satchanalai-Kamphaengphet historical parks (culture), Loei (slow-life destination), Nan (living old city) and U-Thong ancient city (culture).

Operators in Koh Chang, mainly hotels and restaurants, are encouraged to come up with their own proposals. Acting as an intermediary, DASTA would put together the plans and hold discussions with relevant government and local-government bodies on the budgeting, said the director-general.

In Pattaya, the organisation needs to work with nine different bodies.

A Bt1.5-billion incinerator is now in-plan, ready to kick off once the government's public-private investment regulations are effective.

A new road is under construction to ease traffic on the resort-city's Sukhumvit Road, while units brainstorm on water supply and water treatment, he said.

The Marine Department, meanwhile, is working on allocating the budget for a 35-metre sand-filling project to stop further erosion, he added.

Nalikatibhag added that the agency's operations had received a boost from the Cabinet's March resolution that requires cooperation from ministries like Interior, Transport, Energy, Tourism and Culture.

"It's a paradigm shift. Sustainability is assured if local residents initiate the projects that will be undertaken by government bodies. They are empowered to take a lead if they don't want investors from far away to bag all the benefits," he said.

"Without clear plans, the locals could be just maids or security guards. So far, our plans have been approved by over 90 per cent of local residents."

Success is based on the well-being and community income indices, introduced in 2013 with help from 18 institutions, as well as the United Nations World Tourism Organisation guidelines.

Supporting the task is the flexibility of DASTA's operations, he stressed.

Of nearly 200 staff members, 83 per cent are on contract. They have to meet their key performance indicators, and stand to win a 20-per-cent pay hike if they are achieved.

Aside from Hua Hin, within this fiscal year the agency also plans to nominate Chiang Saen and its vicinity in Chiang Rai province as another designated area, thanks to its famous Lanna culture.

Ten more venues are also enlisted for the designation, including the Mae Klong basin, Ayutthaya historical park, Surin Islands and Songkhla Lake. "Each location has its own character. Our work touches on all dimensions - economy, environment and culture. Yet, the key success factor is the locals. They know the areas the best. They should know what they have to offer and what to gain," said the official.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Sustainable-tourism-for-Hua-Hin-30263799.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-06

Hua Hin is unplanned chaos!!!

Narrow roads where two small cars can just pass each other.

Buildings not complying with municipal building guidlines.

Illegal buildings in may prime locations.

Inadequate parking in the city; with many parking places taken up by illegal taxis and vans.

Pay the rigth municipal authorities the right amout of 'tea money; and you can do what ever you want.

Buildings in flood-prone areas.

Who cares?

And even the local Thais are no complaining that the cost of living is too high.

Hua Hin has certainly lost its attraction to many Thais and farangs.

Inadequate parking in the city; with many parking places taken up by illegal taxis and vans.

Pay the rigth municipal authorities the right amout of 'tea money; and you can do what ever you want.

Who cares?

And even the local Thais are no complaining that the cost of living is too high.

It's lost it's attractiveness? And yet more and more tourists are coming each year.

Hua Hin and Cha-am used to be my favourite places to visit in Thailand. I thought one day I would buy a house/condo in the area. No more. Hua Hin is way over developed and its infrastructure inadequate and will never be adequate. Cha-am is next. Both places will go the way of Pattaya and Phuket. Tourists may still come but those in the know would never buy in that area. Thailand is destroying its valuable land and culture with such speed I fear for its future.

I still enjoy visiting Hua Hin and Cha Am, but I also like to swim when I am at the

ocean, so I spent a bit of my time in Phuket at the Kata beach, where swimming is great.

Just do not go swimming at the north end of the beach where there are more jelly fish

problems. I agree that the streets in Hua Hin are too narrow, and there should be better ways for people to get across

maybe under or over the streets in pedestrian bridges or tunnels. Since there is still lots of tourism, then

TAT should be able to afford a few of these. 555, just joking of course!

I hope that in my life time I will never get too tired of Thailand that In do not go back for a few more visits.

Who cares?

It's lost it's attractiveness? And yet more and more tourists are coming each year.

Who cares?

Firstly, apologies for the spelling mistakes ... I did not proof read well enough.

Although the 'official' position is that tourist numbers are up, every Thai I speak to in the hospitality, retail and services sectors claim that over the past year, tourists numbers are way down from those of the last few years.

Look at the increasing number of 'farang' bars closed or up for sale; the growing number of closed shops in Hua Hin Market Village and downtown; etc.

Yes, Thai and farang tourists are about, but their numbers during the course of the past 12 months are way down on earlier this decade.

Archived