Cost of Living in Thailand: How I Spend ฿74,031.83 Every Month

pinkpanther99

you and your failing marriage had costed you years of saving that could have been instead invested for your early retirement.

it s like guys buying brand new cars instead of second hand car and were making fun of me. I saved hundred thousand of dollars by going cheap.

they got big houses at several thousand dollars , while I saved and kept my money invested, now it brings me more money every year passing . after a few years, i can now rent a house in Thailand while the guys in farangland are still paying tax on their property of 5 bedrooms house that are filled with junks. they could have save the money instead to buy junks and invest in stocks.

now I can enjoy a relaxed life in Thailand while guys in faranglands are still paying lawyers and their Betty the bitch for child support.

10 years only.... now my life is all vacation while guys in farangland are still waiting for 5 pm to leave their dumb office.

You can't retire on $100k-$250k without touching principal. The math does not add up.

So you were making $50-80k a year before taxes and saving half?

Something feels wrong with the math.

If its in real risky stocks that somehow return a little better, your going to be wiped out in the next market downturn.

I earned about 23,000 pounds in my last year, before that a lot less, then UK tax took a large chunk, rent a large chunk, food etc the usual amount. So where does the "average" worker get 100,000 plus $ to retire on? I could have saved 50,000 quid over 10 years had I not contributed to super, the returns of which are very small.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the more you make Thailand like home, the more expensive it becomes.

i am a single guy, i live at the beach in Hua Hin, three bedroom Thai house. i don't drink, or very little.

Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket (and Islands) and Hua Hin are expensive places to live in Thailand.

if you live out in the countryside or small town with no tourists, you can find rent for less.

I control all money expenditures.

45,000 a month expenses. i monitor every baht with a phone app. some months my expenses are 55,000 if I travel a little or you know, the other thing. smile.png

as an American, for me almost everything in Thailand is more expensive (and poor quality), with the following exceptions:

Health insurance.

Hospitals. All medical and dental.

Renting a place to live.

Thai food. eating like a local.

Public transportation.

Manual labor costs.

cellphone service.

internet service.

water bill.

overall, my monthly expenses dropped by 60% compared to Los Angeles.

i tell my girlfriend i only have a set amount each month to spend. i show her how much is left after fixed costs like rent.

she understands we have to live on a budget.

she has no idea where the money comes from or how much there is in the USA.

if anything happens to me, the money stops.

Edited by NCC1701A

I spend 7,000 baht a month every month but sometimes its 12,000 and sometimes 15,000

smile.png

If you ended up in the hospital and the bill came to 300,000, could you pay it?

How would that impact the capital you have producing your monthly income?

yes I can. you don't have to spend all. it s not because a guy make 80k a month that he has to spend all and eat, smoke and drink for 4 people.

what is this idea that if you make xxx dollars every month that you have to spend it all.? are you all worry to let some money to your children when you will pass away? are you upset to be old or soon terminated(cancer) ?

some guys I hear saying constantly they need this and that.... but they are broke. what the hell they are talking about? me too I need a big house and a business jet and 4 Ferraris and millions of dollars around.

Edited by VIPinthailand

yes I can. you don't have to spend all. it s not because a guy make 80k a month that he has to spend all and eat, smoke and drink for 4 people.

what is this idea that if you make xxx dollars every month that you have to spend it all.? are you all worry to let some money to your children when you will pass away? are you upset to be old or soon terminated(cancer) ?

some guys I hear saying constantly they need this and that.... but they are broke. what the hell they are talking about? me too I need a big house and a business jet and 4 Ferraris and millions of dollars around.

typically money savers are potty trained at an early age and emphasis is placed on cleanliness and facaeceness.

the savers (or pissers) had much more leniency on how, where and when to go. they are sloppier with money and tend to be happier with it because there not worried about it being dirty or unclean.

you and your failing marriage had costed you years of saving that could have been instead invested for your early retirement.

it s like guys buying brand new cars instead of second hand car and were making fun of me. I saved hundred thousand of dollars by going cheap.

they got big houses at several thousand dollars , while I saved and kept my money invested, now it brings me more money every year passing . after a few years, i can now rent a house in Thailand while the guys in farangland are still paying tax on their property of 5 bedrooms house that are filled with junks. they could have save the money instead to buy junks and invest in stocks.

now I can enjoy a relaxed life in Thailand while guys in faranglands are still paying lawyers and their Betty the bitch for child support.

10 years only.... now my life is all vacation while guys in farangland are still waiting for 5 pm to leave their dumb office.

Sometimes you say incredibly reasonable things. I agree with this line of thinking. For the most part, it's what I did.

However your 250k retirement plan, as you've laid it out, while certainly possible, is really bad advice.

I think the general principle is sound, as in don't waste money, save everything, but I think a total sum of 250k US is vastly underestimated, inflation has not been considered, exchange rate fluctuations haven't been factored in, and the yearly return is OTT without putting the principal at large risk.

My retire early goal is ideally at least 1.5m, but with 750k at the very bottom end (and house / car bought and paid for, and kids college fund in place) - gives 65k THB a month at 3% with current exchange rates. I think at that level (and definitely at 250k) one would still need full medical coverage since it's not enough money to self insure - one nasty incident and your savings could be decimated.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

I spend 7,000 baht a month every month but sometimes its 12,000 and sometimes 15,000

:)

if you only need that amount i think your method is sound. you can make that with good dividends with about that much principal.

you could probably just draw on principal and have enough to last, barring any unforseen events. be sure to get some thai medical like bupa.

question is will that amount satisfy you long term, or just temporarily.

were probably talking about no family, kids, property etc. just an austere life materially and socially.

it sounds like your making much more and just living skint. if so, thats a whole different animal and is just being a cheap charlie.

Edited by fey

I think this thread should have been called " Cost of Living in Bangkok"..

There is much more to Thailand than just bangkok and most is far less expensive.

I am amazed at what some of you pay to rent an apartment there, and, not loving the city lifestyle, need to ask myself why you do it.

For an example:

My family and I live in a house on about one acre of land. ( see attached photo )

The house was brand new when we moved in two years ago.

It is in a quite area, but only about 3 minutes away from "the big city".

We love it.

The rent?

3,500 THB / Month

I know we all have different needs and wants.

The life my family enjoys is far less expensive than " The Big Mango".

attachicon.gifDSCF6459.JPG

Wow! Cool house. I often feel a bit daft paying what I do for rent when I see what others pay. My rent is 20k a month and that doesn't include electricity and water. I do get free wifi, a cleaner twice a week and laundry service, and free drinking water [not that the drinking water amounts to much]. I also didn't have to pay a deposit as I've know the owners of the property for a long time and they didn't deem it necessary. My apartment is 90 square meters in the Silom/Sathon area, which I really like, and is very convenient, and it has a decent balcony. It's actually advertised for considerably more, but as I said, I've known the owners for ages so they gave me a good deal as they know I'm here long term. Still, it's a lot to come out of my monthly income as I am also a spendthrift in that I never cook and am out all day and most nights. Having said that, I do eat cheap street food to balance out more expensive restaurants .... I have a local student-type bar very near my flat that is cheap, but I also tend to go to more pricey places on weekends like the Oriental terrace, and other places roughly in the same price range... Although I've never checked, I think I spend roughly what the guy in the blog spends [70 odd a month], but could for get that down if I made the effort. I'm 45 so older than him and my income works out at about 115,000 baht a month. 6 months ago it was more like 100,000/month before the baht dropped. One thing I find is that almost every time I've made an effort to have a more frugal month, something unexpected comes up, like forced travel, medical bill, needing a new laptop or Buddha knows what, and I end up getting through the same as if I hadn't been frugal.... Anyway, hats off to all of you than manage to keep outgoings low... it's something I need to work on for sure.

I don't remember the food I ate 10 years ago ( and it all ends up as c**p ), but I do remember the lovely girls I knew back then. If it came down to spending money on food or girls, no contest.

Fortunate the man that can afford the best of both.

Some of us only have to afford to buy food.

Only losers feel like they have to buy women

The only men I know who don't give money to women are those that can't (or the guys who don't like women).

Heck I bought my mother a house. I bought mom a car. I paid for all of her bills when she got old. Did I buy mom?

Presumably cause you only know other men like yourself?

smile.png

If you ended up in the hospital and the bill came to 300,000, could you pay it?

How would that impact the capital you have producing your monthly income?

He is obviously referring to current expenses and not yearly like insurance. Anyone that does not have health insurance is one second away from disaster.

There is much more to Thailand than just bangkok and most is far less expensive.

I am amazed at what some of you pay to rent an apartment there, and, not loving the city lifestyle, need to ask myself why you do it.

For an example:

My family and I live in a house on about one acre of land. ( see attached photo )

We love it.

The rent?

3,500 THB / Month

ask myself why you do it.

Because:

not everyone wants to be living in someone else's house ( that can kick one out if it all goes wrong )

not everyone wants to live in the village

not everyone wants to look after an acre of land

not everyone wants to be stuck in one place

etc

etc.

Good that you like it, but some would find it more like a living death.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

For an example:

We love it.

The rent?

3,500 THB / Month

ask myself why you do it.

Because:

not everyone wants to be living in someone else's house ( that can kick one out if it all goes wrong )

not everyone wants to live in the village

not everyone wants to look after an acre of land

not everyone wants to be stuck in one place

etc

etc.

Good that you like it, but some would find it more like a living death.

we like being able to walk out the door and find civilization, food stalls and other entertainment without having to drive there and back

the extra 15k baht does not make any difference to us

Sounds about right in a Bangkok condo close to the BTS. Bangkok costs is equivalent to Los Angeles Wilshire district costs in city center. Bloody expensive with half the quality of whatever you buy & less warranty. Health insurance for "a white foreign" is very expensive here, as is anything he/she likes that is imported. 2 countries of the most racist, prejudiced, greedy in all Asia, think Thailand over China.

It is all relative, i live with wife her two children, two large alsatians, our house is paid for, we have full time maid and gardener we need 100,000 per month, I am over 70 and self insure medical

If I got a bill for 1.0M Batt I would scream and shout but could at the end of the day pay it, annual insurance premiums are too expensive and have very low caps like 500,000 so a bad investment, and it is not reckless to self insure, it is reckless not to have a plan and evaluated the situation

I am very happy here and if I were living in the Uk I would be renting small place and existing, my overall quality of life here is so very good

Only since coming back to the UK have I realised just how expensive Thailand can be. There are a lot of things here that are far cheaper and when you factor in working here compared to thailand it makes it even worse.

I still can't wait to get back though biggrin.png

yes, and this is the point I was trying to make.

I have friends back in the UK who think you can live in Thailand on just a few hundred pounds a month but it's just not like that.

Its possible to live cheaply in thailand. if you dont have rent ie u buy an apartment avoid european/western food.

Shop in thai markets as opposed to the likes of villa. Not drinking or smoking will help as well

rijit

Yes it seems like the things thast are a lot cheaper back home are things that you can buy here in the local markets far cheaper but you instead go to the super markets to get the brands you want.

Even at that it is still cheaper here when you consider the amount of money you spend on similar lodging.

I have friends back in the UK who think you can live in Thailand on just a few hundred pounds a month but it's just not like that.

I live on £100 monthly (all inclusive) as I pointed out elsewhere, which you may have noticed, so your friends are more than correct.

EDIT:

And here in Bangkok, I'm not the only one that I know of.

74k? Only in my dreams but again Im not compaining, just giving facts about that reality too. Not everything is as it seems.

Edited by mpa

I live on £100 monthly (all inclusive) as I pointed out elsewhere, which you may have noticed, so your friends are more than correct.

EDIT:

And here in Bangkok, I'm not the only one that I know of.

74k? Only in my dreams but again Im not compaining, just giving facts about that reality too. Not everything is as it seems.

How did you end up here on 100 pounds a month?

Did you start out at more then dwindle down to this?

What kind of visa do you exist here on?

Some people who have never traveled think that a person can go to Thailand and "live like a king," for a very small amount of money. That's the part that's not true.

There seem to be a lot of western people living in Thailand on very little money. MPA is doing it, Canarysun did it and others have posted low budgets (though not quite as low as those two).

But if most people came to Thailand on very little money they would not fare well. I think it takes knowledge, desire and a certain kind of personality.

Thats true goldbear. I came here with very little money indeed.

I live on £100 monthly (all inclusive).

74k? Only in my dreams but again Im not compaining, just giving facts about that reality too.

How did you end up here on 100 pounds a month?

Did you start out at more then dwindle down to this?

What kind of visa do you exist here on?

Gotta repeat my answers toward the same subjest in other posts:

I have always been low maintenance, not thrilled by fancy or luxurious things as well, I'm not wealthy either. Believe it or not, most Thais I've met are richer than me.

To cut things short, Im pretty good at finding the cheapest flight combinations. It cost me 200 euros to get here from the UK -where I was residing at the time- with a 30kg luggage, almost a year ago. My beloved London landlady was charging me zero money for the last 3 months, considering my economical situation(=normality to me but it doesnt seem the same to others).

Thanks to a wealthy friend, I spent 3 months on the top floor of a Chao Phraya waterfront residence, but as he was leaving I had to do smt in order to live on. Teaching -part time mostly- was the obvious. Now I'm looking for a different occupation if Im lucky enough to find anything really, otherwise I ll go back to tutoring, not my actual profession though.

Getting 49 makes the whole thing kinda challenging but spending up to $140 per month, gives me plenty of time. Thai gf helps too.

I had an offer to work elsewhere but some fellas are not to be trusted, so better stick to my usual habits than getting involved God knows where.

Regarding my rent, food, and transportation expenses:

2000 thb for monthly rent in Phatthanakan area near the skylink line. 35 sqm with ceiling fan plus a small room for storage. Decent bathroom, no kitchen, two balconies, 3rd (top) floor.

I cycle to nearby huge Tesco around 9-10 pm almost every day. Many Thais go there at the same time to catch the late discount deals. Cheapy food prices drop (depending on the item) from 50-25 to 2 (yes 2) and up to 10 bath, regarding salads, vegetables, fish, soups, fruits, pizzas, milk, donuts etc. I estimate around 3.75 to 8 for most goods. I often see a bunch waiting, myself included sometimes. It's fun!

I don't drink alcohol. My Thai gf brings me a well cooked meal everyday since her school is 2 minutes walk...she's teaching there.

When going downtown I use the railway. 2 to 3 baht per trip to Makasan, Asoke, Phaya Thai etc.

So far I have visited two gov hospitals, Siriraj and Sirindhorn. Nice services and prices as well.

Double entry since you asked.

Now I need to find a long term stay condition and a health insurance thereafter.

Some people who have never traveled think that a person can go to Thailand and "live like a king," for a very small amount of money. That's the part that's not true.

it is true. i did it for a couple years up north.