How long to get a marriage visa

I am getting married to my Thai girlfriend next week. I then intend to apply for a marriage visa. There is some urgency about this as my present visa expires on 26th July. Can anyone advise me how long it takes to get a marriage visa from the Thai Immigration Department

You need to get a new passport. With yours expiring 26 July you have NO chance. Go to you embassy and get this done.

(my present visa expires on 26th July.) sorry dont get the connection between passport and visa

Edited by gerry123

You need to get a new passport. With yours expiring 26 July you have NO chance. Go to you embassy and get this done.

(my present visa expires on 26th July.) sorry dont get the connection between passport and visa

Technically there is no "marriage visa", as noted you can obtain an extension of stay, based on your marriage. Usually the advice, is to go with about 30 days remaining on you current permission to stay. You will be given a consideration period, before the final extension stamp. If they won't work with you, take your marriage documents, and obtain a Non-Immigrant "O" at Savanakhet, Laos.

You could a obtain a one year multi-entry, but if applying for an extension, and you have everything prepared, a single entry will do.

As usual, dozens of posts and information in the visa section, if one can be bothered to read a little. Actually, I think it would be better if a Mod moved this there.

Edited by beechguy
  • Like 1

Sorry miss read. As said if you just want a 60 day extension to visit wife you can get this the same day you get married. Its not a visa. If you want a marriage extension you have to have 400k in the bank or show an income of 40k per month. If you can do this then a marriage extension has to start on a single entry O-visa . your passport will have to be sent to Bangkok as they are the only one that convert this over. Another options is after your married go to Savannhket Lao to the Thai Consult and apply for a O-visa, based on marriage, again not a marriage visa. this vis is good for 12 months and you can get 15. Every 90 days you need to leave Thailand. No finical proof is need for this visa only your Marriage certificate her id. Look at the http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/1-thai-visas-residency-and-work-permits/ for details. Best advice is go to your closest immigration office and ask them what they require for a marriage extension as there can be some differences. What kind of visa are you on??

Edited by khwaibah

Per above, you would need to get an extension for 60 days first after you got married and could then apply for a conversion to a non-immigrant visa based upon your marriage to a Thai national at Bangkok immigration. The application takes 15 day to process, so you need to return to Bangkok immigration after 15 days.

If not living near Bangkok, it might be wiser to get a non-O visa in Laos as advised by Kwaibah.

thanks everybody for all the help

It certainly wasn't my intention to leave things as late as this, but a delay in getting my divorce document from Australia put me about 3 weeks behind schedule :(

The visa I'm on now is a tourist TR with 2 entries which have been used. What are my best options, go to Laos? Or Bangkok? I take it that the 15 day processing period for Bangkok would be not be a problem.

Please pardon these naive questions. My understanding of Thai immigration regulations is growing but is still very limited :)

Do you have the financial proof to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage. You will need that and all the required documents to to apply for a non immigrant visa in Bangkok.

If your current permit stay (not a visa) is the 26th of July you only have 3 days to apply for the visa since you must have 15 days remaining on your stay to do it.

It seem your best option is to go out for a single entry non-o visa. And then apply for the extension during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry the visa will allow.

Hi ubonjoe,

Yes, I have bank statements showing I meet the financial requirements I want to avoid having to go back to Australia just to get a single entry non-o visa. Is it necessary or can I proceed with the "marriage" visa within Thailand. Are there any other alternatives? Maybe the Lao option.

thanks for your help

Hi ubonjoe,

Yes, I have bank statements showing I meet the financial requirements I want to avoid having to go back to Australia just to get a single entry non-o visa. Is it necessary or can I proceed with the "marriage" visa within Thailand. Are there any other alternatives? Maybe the Lao option.

thanks for your help)

I guess you are hoping to secure an "extension of stay" based on marriage (not a visa)

"Bank statements" may prove to be insufficient. You need to be able to demonstrate 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank or an income of 40.000 Baht/month certified by your embassy.

A single entry "O" visa can be obtained from a Thai Embassy/consulate in a nearby country once you have your marriage documentation.

That's a point about the financial thing that I hadn't thought about. The instructions I got from the Australian Embassy are silent on this, beyond providing a Commonwealth of Australia statutory declaration form which has an entry "my annual income in AUD$$", nothing more in the accompanying notes.

I provided a summary of my income with a Thai translation for the last 12 months taken directly from downloaded bank statements. Perhaps this is not enough. At any rate, at this stage I guess I'm going to have to run with this information.

All you need to apply for an extension at immigration is the statutory declaration from the Australian embassy.

You can go to Vientiane or Savannakhet Laos or Penang Malaysia to get the single entry non-o visa.