Page Of Remembrance

Gonzo the Face

That most probably was Arthur who was an artist (painter if I remember correctly). Sorry forgot his last name but he (or his family) was in the diplomatic service of the Netherlands. Died sometime in the late seventies or early eighties I think. He was a regular and heavy drinker at Daret GH when this place was still inside the moat (almost diagonally opposite where it is now near Thapea Gate)

Do any of you know of an old dutch guy used to live there.

I don`t know a lot baout him, except my uncle used to tell me about him, when my uncle when to los in around mid 70`s . Used to imbibe heavily I gather.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got some news this evening that Hugh Ashby passed away in Singapore recently. Another of Chiang Mai's real characters over the past 20 years or so. He was a member of the infamous 'Donimo Dixlesic' and 'Escapees' cricket teams that had achieved a bit of a reputaion at the CM 6's over the years.

I'll miss you old mate.

Jeezze No...... I was just talking with Abe 2 days ago and he brought up the Hugh's Name......

I hope that there is some mistake, but if there are some out there who know the name, but not the face, or know the face but not the name, this is Hugh....... on one of his better days.

post-22124-1176638368_thumb.jpg

Because we open kinda early and late for him..... he would occassionally stop in for some homemade tomato juice with a little morning eye opener

If its true, I'll really miss him....... and have to sneak in a one little one for him..... RIP

PS Does anyone know where his Rover is parked......

I just got some news this evening that Hugh Ashby passed away in Singapore recently. Another of Chiang Mai's real characters over the past 20 years or so. He was a member of the infamous 'Donimo Dixlesic' and 'Escapees' cricket teams that had achieved a bit of a reputaion at the CM 6's over the years.

I'll miss you old mate.

I sold him a book a few weeks ago and he was so emaciated and sick looking that I literally did not recognize him at all. He kept talking as if we knew each other well and I finally guessed that he was Hugh and asked him a few questions that confirmed his identity.

I asked him if he'd been sick and he said that he'd had shingles and was in the middle of migrating to Australia.

He was a very intelligent guy with a lot going for him. I hope that he is happier where he is now.

Edited by Ulysses G.

That most probably was Arthur who was an artist (painter if I remember correctly). Sorry forgot his last name but he (or his family) was in the diplomatic service of the Netherlands. Died sometime in the late seventies or early eighties I think. He was a regular and heavy drinker at Daret GH when this place was still inside the moat (almost diagonally opposite where it is now near Thapea Gate)
Do any of you know of an old dutch guy used to live there.

I don`t know a lot baout him, except my uncle used to tell me about him, when my uncle when to los in around mid 70`s . Used to imbibe heavily I gather.

Cool. Thanks for that! :o

Any of you familiar with Alex Nidorf? Goodlooking intelligent American, 30 yrs. old. He died in his sleep a few ys. ago in Chiangmai. Cause of death never determined. Apparently he was parlty responsible for reducing the opium supply via educating the growers. Alex was destined for great things. A sad waste of life!!

Any of you familiar with Alex Nidorf? Goodlooking intelligent American, 30 yrs. old. He died in his sleep a few ys. ago in Chiangmai. Cause of death never determined. Apparently he was parlty responsible for reducing the opium supply via educating the growers. Alex was destined for great things. A sad waste of life!!

It's my understanding that Alex died in Vietnam where he was working on argriculture-related stuff. It was some type of virus that killed him, perhaps a type of bird flu.

He was indeed a sharp guy.

I knew Hugh. He did like a drink.

What did he do for a living? He was always off to different places and always seemed to have cash to support his Thai life style.

He was involved in film making...... I know a few years ago he was off to Madagaskar to film some exotic and little known rare cat.....then it was off to the Amazon to go a zillion miles upriver on a filming expedition...Not for sure but I think some of the things were on or by or for National Geo....

Not too mention his world reknown fishing club south of town...... a couple years ago when the Mae Ping flooding was so bad , according to him, the river rose to a level as to flood his ponds and all his giant catfish swam away....

Those knowing Hugh a little at least, can realize his stories had a percentage of truth in them..... what that percentage was is for each to judge...

He was one of the CM Falang Fixtures, and I know for one,,,, I feel sadened by his passing...

Gonzo

I met Hugh in Bangkok in 1995 when we were studying for the RSA/Cambridge University Teaching Certificate which is quite tough and a lot of people fail. Maurice who would later own True Blue was in the class also.

At first, Hugh was sober and totally dominated the class. He was funny and clever and a natural teacher.

After a while, he got bored and started drinking again. I don't know how high his total score was at the end of the course, but even when he was drinking he had no problem passing the class and he did. :o

• 1 month later...

Hi, my good friend Brad Harper died in Chiang Mai likely enjoying himself to death. His wife Cindy may still be there. Anything you can tell me about Brad's (Sir Geoffrey Hillpig Smyth) time in Chiang Mai would be welcome - no matter how dramatic. Loved him dearly.

Hi, my good friend Brad Harper died in Chiang Mai likely enjoying himself to death. His wife Cindy may still be there. Anything you can tell me about Brad's (Sir Geoffrey Hillpig Smyth) time in Chiang Mai would be welcome - no matter how dramatic. Loved him dearly.

did Brad die here,,??? I heard he and Cindy went back to Canada...

did Brad die here,,??? I heard he and Cindy went back to Canada...

Yes Brad died here about 2 years back. He was a very sad and lonely man when he died. Cindy is back in America where she has started a new life. I communicated with her some time ago and she sounded very happy.

There is a trend developing here. The penalty for being a mate of Blinky Bill is death. Be warned.

Bokkie..................maaate. Let's get together and have a few beers. chevil.gif

Well then... lets make him marketing director of this thread and the page should go on forever... <_<

• 1 month later...

I just lost a dear friend. His name was Michael. Maybe some of you knew him. He stayed in Verachai Court, was in his 60's and acted like he was in his 20's. He was a lorrie driver in the UK and was planning on retiring next year to live out the rest of his life in Chiang Mai. I will trully miss him and the great conversations we used to have. It won't be the same without him.

Rest in peace Michael

I liked hugh. He Liked booze.

Booze no good in massive morn noon and night excess

Anyone remember dave rowse. died in the moat. more info from that eve would be good

More on my old pals maurice and bingo and bo and and and and and and

miss mr dootson

There is (or was) a lengthy thread on the Chiangmai Citylife forum about Dave's death and some suspicions surrounding it.

Gaz

Does anyone know what happened to Richard Sutcliffe that used to run the Lost Bookstore? First he got Pancreitis and then there was a rumor that he came down with cancer. My guess is that he is taking advantage of the free medical care in the UK, but no one seems to know for sure.

Hello all,I am brand new here.

I realise that this topic, is mostly to do with those who have passed on,but I would like,if I may,to post an enquiry of my own.

My father has visited Chiang Mai many times over the last few years.He last visited in April this year,and was due to return to the UK on 14th July.No one has heard from him since mid July.

I am wondering if the name Ronald {Ronnie} Wake rings any bells with anyone?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

If you have more details than this such as where he was staying, you may wish to contact the British Consul in Chiang Mai.

I have been in touch with the Consulate,they are aware of the sitution,and will be in touch when/if they find anything out.

In the mean time,I figured that it may bear fruit making enquiries on this forum.As in my experience of other forums that I am a member of,people tend to be far more helpful and empathic in a community sense.

But,thank you all the same for your response,it is much appreciated.

Just heard that John "City Silk" Fulbrook died & that the funeral was yesterday.

John had been in Cnx for 30 years & had a store City Silk, on Thapae & for awhile one on Moon Muang where Pop is now.

He was married with a Thai wife, a 15 year old daughter.

John was 72 years when he died from a heart attack.

RIP.

Just heard that John "City Silk" Fulbrook died & that the funeral was yesterday.

John had been in Cnx for 30 years & had a store City Silk, on Thapae & for awhile one on Moon Muang where Pop is now.

He was married with a Thai wife, a 15 year old daughter.

John was 72 years when he died from a heart attack.

RIP.

Didn't know John Fulbrook, but did know "John Denmark" who also died of a heart attack a few weeks ago. Tall, loud, but very friendly, humorous chap, a regular at Darets.

On the anniversary of the demise of Brad 'trekking stick' Harper, another chum of his and I go to the Foreign Cemetery and have a drink with him, leaving his opened can near the headstone. Walking around afterwards I was pleased to see that someone had done the same for John Denmark, leaving an opened Chang with him. He had run a restaurant on one of the Danish islands, and logically became a chum of another retired Dane here, Holger, who had been a chef. Shaved head and scorpion tatoo on the back.

Interestingly, Holger died (also heart attack) just a week after John.

Well done to Lasse of La Luna Gallery who is what the Danish Embassy call the "crisis Consul" here for sorting out the necessary arrangements.

But who can rectify an error on the impessive headstone of former Marine J.B.Gross? At his best he was lively with an impish sense of humour, but he WAS born way before 1979.

• 3 weeks later...

More bad news. Have just heard from one of our sons in Australia that Oliver Fruchtenicht has been killed in a motorcycle incident in Chiang Mai. Oliver is the son of Horst Fruchtenicht (also mentioned in these pages) and Warunee and did his schooling at CMIS. He and his sister Melanie were,are close friends of our kids. A lot of you may remember Horst from the Gymkhana and around town. If anybody knows details of funeral arrangements could you please let me know as we live out of town now.

Edited by Boksida