New Makro Phrae ?

FlorC

Driving into town (Phrae) , I saw a glimps of a promotional board from MAKRO. It was in Thai but I couldn't stop to take a better look. Is there a new Makro opening in PHRAE ? Where ? And when will it open ? I looked on the website , but no mention yet on the list of Northern provinces.

Could be good news for us in the Phrae area. Lotus s-cks and bigc is not much better. Hoping for some cheaper and better range of products , and maybe some better bread !

I think Makro is in Phayao too now which means Tesco/Big C will follow.Massive expansion amongst the supermarket chains.

Hey Flor C bake you own bread,its simple, Makro bread is pretty ordinary !

The Phayao Makro is still being built. It will be some months before it opens. When it does it will give Tesco a big shock.

I live in phrae so I am curious. ... what can I get in makro that I can't get in the other stores? I know I can get a baguette in big c but thats about it bread wise. Thanks.

You mean the 32 B baguette that tastes like cardboard and loses more weight and gets shorter as time goes by. ( masked inflation ). Or its sibling the 35 B bread, tastes the same , a crust filled with air ? Or the square sugary "bread" ?

From other posters out here , I read that Makro has a slightly more european food choice.

Lotus had mayo of its own , 75 B , just edable still more than double the european price , but stopped. Now there is the sugar mayo from "best foods" , more expensive and cr-p , or the real expensive kraft ,...

So yes I hope Makro brings some better and cheaper choices and its own brand.

Fruit & veg are very expensive at bigC and limited at Lotus. The market here is Phrae is not always that great.

Glad to see it's now all concrete though.

Lol yes the card board bread.... but it has been better than nothing. ... definitely not the fresh hot baguettes I had when studying in france.... but living in a small village outside of phrae has definitely lowered my farang food standards.... on the plus ive started to learn to cook... I will definitely checknthenstore outnwhen it.opens

Lol yes the card board bread.... but it has been better than nothing. ... definitely not the fresh hot baguettes I had when studying in france.... but living in a small village outside of phrae has definitely lowered my farang food standards.... on the plus ive started to learn to cook... I will definitely checknthenstore outnwhen it.opens

The 28 B for 6 croissants at bigc though , are not that bad.

I definatly lowered my farang food standards BUT sometimes I have these cravings....

Other Makro stores I've been to in Lampang and Chiang Mai have much better produce and meat departments than Big C. They have a good selection of whole wheat breads, buns and other baked goods. The biggest plus for me is an American made cheddar cheese I have only seen at Makro, that makes that inedible crap Big C sells look like what it is...inedible crap. Generally, prices at Makro are less than Big C, and they have "wholesale pricing" for businesses.

I am glad to see them coming. Big C can use some competition. You can't even get near the store on weekends. Phrae has been put on the map in recent years, drawing in Home Pro, Global House, and now Makro. Can a Central Mall with Robinsons, Tops, and McDonalds be far behind?

welcomeani.gif

Other Makro stores I've been to in Lampang and Chiang Mai have much better produce and meat departments than Big C. They have a good selection of whole wheat breads, buns and other baked goods. The biggest plus for me is an American made cheddar cheese I have only seen at Makro, that makes that inedible crap Big C sells look like what it is...inedible crap. Generally, prices at Makro are less than Big C, and they have "wholesale pricing" for businesses.

I am glad to see them coming. Big C can use some competition. You can't even get near the store on weekends. Phrae has been put on the map in recent years, drawing in Home Pro, Global House, and now Makro. Can a Central Mall with Robinsons, Tops, and McDonalds be far behind?

welcomeani.gif

But why ? Phrae is not a rapid expanding metropolis with housing estates popping up like some other province towns.

I like the Global house though. ( lots of people with nothing to do than greet you...).

Central & Robinson with all their expensive stuff ? Who's gonna buy there ? Not really a province of the rich here.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, Makro is opening in Phrae. On Hiway 101 just south of the back road to Big C. There's a lot of construction going on there, can't miss it. Grand opening is Sept. 1-3.

Can you tell me where you got that date from?

I have been told it will open in November.

I hope you are right, the sooner I can get 2kg blocks of cheese the better.

I live in phrae so I am curious. ... what can I get in makro that I can't get in the other stores? I know I can get a baguette in big c but thats about it bread wise. Thanks.

There is a one word answer to your question, if it is managed anything like the Makro on the super , here in CM.

The answer to your question then is........ " aggravated "

Actually this thread is about Phrae, not Phayao or Phrao but you are still righ, there isn't much there.

You got me on that one! Didn't read carefully. Phrae and Phayao are O.K. places to drive through and maybe spend a few hours sightseeing. Phrao.....keep on driving.

• 3 weeks later...

just make ur own mayo its easy cheap and u have the taste u like. btw Phrae is a great place to live

You mean the 32 B baguette that tastes like cardboard and loses more weight and gets shorter as time goes by. ( masked inflation ). Or its sibling the 35 B bread, tastes the same , a crust filled with air ? Or the square sugary "bread" ?

From other posters out here , I read that Makro has a slightly more european food choice.

Lotus had mayo of its own , 75 B , just edable still more than double the european price , but stopped. Now there is the sugar mayo from "best foods" , more expensive and cr-p , or the real expensive kraft ,...

Fruit & veg are very expensive at bigC and limited at Lotus. The market here is Phrae is not always that great.

just make ur own mayo its easy cheap and u have the taste u like. btw Phrae is a great place to live

Making Mayo is with raw /uncooked eggs... not really something I trust in Thailand....samonella !

But ofcourse the mayo I buy is also from raw Thai eggs....

I have no fridge too . You need mostard to make good mayo....again very cheap in europe , expensive in Thailand.

Yesterday Lotus Mayo returned after about 2 months ! 75 B , so I bought one.

25 aug : stopped at the constructionsite opp of the PTT gas station on the 101 because I still thought that 1 sept would be the opening , wow , even a november opening seems a bit optimistic ! Bummer .

• 1 month later...

I went past it yesterday.

The perimeter shuttering is down and the carpark canopies are being installed.

I reckon a November or December opening is on the cards.

I presume they will be plastering the town with opening date placards a month before the big day.

I went past it yesterday.

The perimeter shuttering is down and the carpark canopies are being installed.

I reckon a November or December opening is on the cards.

I presume they will be plastering the town with opening date placards a month before the big day.

The sooner the better. It has been a long wait.