Govt asks overseas Thais to explain coup to foreigners

webfact

let's see

the electorate kept voting in the 'wrong' government so the Army took over (again) for the 'good of the people'. The Army thought it a good idea to lock up students, cut health care and spend ONE BILLION US Dollars on submarines they don't need to show 'face' to neighbouring countries

and that, dear readers, is 'Thainess'

Together with the explanation for the subs being it'd be better to have their neighbours be in awe of this country rather than leave the 30 billion lying around for someone else to steal after they'd gone, as per today's BP. Implicit in which statement is that any 'reforms' were never on the cards anyway. You really couldn't make this circus and it's clowns up blink.png

Edited by dageurreotype

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For another 2 baht worth of comment:

" We could not let the situation to escalate beyond our control."

Pretty much explains the Thai military position.

Indeed, the devil is in the detail.

Every week passing there's more and more outlandish requests and instructions coming from the Big Cheese, with a 93% popularity, why does he need outside Thai help in explaining the situation?

Credibility ?

Hasn't this government tried to extradite and prosecute Thai's living abroad telling the truth of what's happening here? Are there a bunch of empty cells next to the university students that they don't want to let go to waste? Feeding them all that left over rice they have on their hands?

That's because you're a stupid foreigner, obviously you're missing the point. They want the "narrative" explained to foreigners. Not sure what the truth's got to do with anything.

The current PM really seems out of touch with many of the Thai's abroad. All my Thai friends that live abroad and those that use Facebook, do not have anything to say in support of the coup. In fact, on many occasion I have heard from Thai's abroad that want the military out, and elections to begin.

Why would the Thai PM want ALL Thai people living abroad to explain the situation. Is it to bring clarity to the other governments so they understand? If that's the case, then it's obvious to see that the Thai PM doesn't have an effective communication channel with those other governments, or its meant to bring clarity to the regular people like you and I with hopes of increasing the numbers of tourists that visit Thailand. In either case, I think it's a desperate move to ask Thai's abroad to do the explaining for the military coup with the hope that it can be justified in the mind of others.

It's kind of like saying, please explain to the U.S. citizens why their President Obama is justified by not recognizing the 4th of July in the way it's been recognized for generations for fear of ruffling the feathers of those who are against US, it's history and what it stands for.

The problem is twofold really, number one is that foreigners have their own real lives and real problems to think about, and don't have the time to listen to a lot of this stuff.

And secondly, Thailand is advertised as a tourist destination, and when you are a tourist you are thinking about things like suncream and planning what historic sites you will visit etc. Most tourists do not want to be thinking about complex political issues, when they are going on holiday to relax and enjoy themselves. Obviously all tourists should be aware of current national laws, local etiquette and other things that will hopefully make their travels problem-free. But beyond noting those basic travel-info facts, they are going on holiday to relax and be happy, which is the opposite of entering the surreal doors-inside-doors realm of politics in some nations.

When someone approaches you and ask you to pee in a bottle that will soon jolt reality. People spend a lot of bucks on a holiday and for some it is a once in a decade experience. The modern traveler is no longer just a brochure browser.

I totally agree with you that the digital age has made tourists more aware of world news, and made it much easier to get whole libraries of information on tourist destinations at the click of a button, along with warnings and so on.

I agree that the percentage of smart tourists has increased greatly, although there are still some impulse tourists who are fairly cocooned in the brochure dream holiday fantasy.

My point was not so much relating to tourists being unaware of strict laws or basic current events in tourist nations, more with the OP idea of "explaining coups" to foreigners. That is a whole other can of worms. The situation is very complicated and jaundiced by partisan views, none of which agree on how to "explain coups" and so it would be even harder to explain it to an outsider without synching with one of those viewpoints. It is the complexity of explaining all this, versus the carefree holiday essence of tourism, that I find hard to image.

It is like inviting all your friends and workmates round to your house for a great party, with a fun relaxing party atmosphere. And then inbetween the canapes and cocktails, you ask them all to understand a complex algebra problem that has baffled mathematicians for decades. They had only come to the party for the booze and fun, now they have to understand something that even the experts can't solve.

There is a reason why Thai people living abroad don't live in Thailand anymore. I don't think they will have a hard time explaining Thai politics to their friends. Perhaps the good General shouldn't be asking them for their help.

Yes it has been explained to me by many Thais overseas. if I repeated it here I would be in Jail.

My daily fix of laughter. I can always rely on a story every day from those in charge.clap2.gifclap2.gif

If I repeated it here I would be in Jail. And that is exactly why it won't get better any time soon.

The International community deserves the truth on Thailand's political catastrophe.

Who bank rolled the Airport protests and the present situation and coup?

If the truth was told here I would be in jail.gigglem.gif gigglem.gif

Edited by Calimotty