Traffic Law fines set

geovalin

A sub-decree being drafted by the Interior Ministry is adding teeth in the form of markedly heavier fines to the Kingdom’s nearly 6-month-old, still yet-to-be enforced, Traffic Law.

Under the sub-decree’s terms, motorcyclists and motorcycle passengers who fail to wear a helmet will have to pay 15,000 riel ($3.75) – a five-fold increase on the 3,000 riel ($0.75) fine currently only levied against the vehicle’s drivers.

Penalties for not wearing seatbelts in cars will be similarly hiked, from 5,000 riel ($1.25) to 25,000 riel ($6.25).

read more: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/traffic-law-fines-set

Riding a motocyce in Sihanookville was not fun with the cops stopping you for no reason

and fining you US$ 3 but willing to settle for one or 2 $, not sure who learned from whom,

the Thai cops from the Cambodians or vie a versa....

Riding a motocyce in Sihanookville was not fun with the cops stopping you for no reason

and fining you US$ 3 but willing to settle for one or 2 $, not sure who learned from whom,

vv

I remember the road block. Showed my International License and acted like I did not understand what the "boss" on the side of the road was saying. He waved me to be gone. Interesting to note that you can be fined for having the bike headlight on in the daytime. Has a separate switch, not automatically on as here in Thailand.

Interesting to note that you can be fined for having the bike headlight on in the daytime. Has a separate switch, not automatically on as here in Thailand.

Only V.I.Ps can have lights on during the daytime.

Face making wankery over logical safety.

... just like Thailand.

blink.png

vv

I remember the road block. Showed my International License and acted like I did not understand what the "boss" on the side of the road was saying. He waved me to be gone. Interesting to note that you can be fined for having the bike headlight on in the daytime. Has a separate switch, not automatically on as here in Thailand.

I got my International Permit half way out of my pocket and they just laughed. One spoke well

enough to ask for a 1 dollar Sonkran donation for each of the two of them. As long as they

are not greedy, I can live with it. coffee1.gif

Interesting to note that you can be fined for having the bike headlight on in the daytime. Has a separate switch, not automatically on as here in Thailand.

Only V.I.Ps can have lights on during the daytime.

Face making wankery over logical safety.

... just like Thailand.

blink.png

Is that it?? Really? I was driving toward Bangkok in some heavy rain and turned on my lights. My wife asked "What are you doing; you can't drive with the lights on in the daytime." I said, "It's for safety, why shouldn't I?" She said, "It's against the law." I asked, "Why? She didn't know. I said, "Well it's safer and I am leaving them on." Shortly thereafter, i got waved into a checkpoint with the cop demanding to know why I had my lights on. I was instructed to turn them off. The wife was gloating a bit.

This has always been a bit of a mystery to me. But if it is truly that having light on during daylight hours is reserved for VIP's, I know now to leave them on always. And I now have an answer for the BIB: "Phom bin VIP, krup." laugh.png