Koh Tao: Trial opens for 2 accused of killing British tourists

webfact

Koh Tao Murder Trial: More Forensic Evidence Available for Re-Test, Witness Reveals

By Khaosod Eng.

14376613261437661669l.jpg

The mothers of Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo with their defense lawyers outside the Koh Samui court, 23 July 2015.

SURAT THANI — Challenging previous testimony provided by police, a forensic expert told the court where two Burmese men are being tried for murdering British tourists on a Thai island that more evidence is available for the independent re-test requested by the defence team earlier this month.

Her testimony contradicted what police witnesses told the court during the first three days of the trial on July 8-10: that only four items were available for a re-examination because other key pieces of evidence, such swabs of DNA taken from the victims’ bodies, were "used up."

Today’s witness, a scientist from police’s forensic division named Kewalee Chanpan, said that "all" genetic material tested in the lab is replicated for future processing.

Pol.Lt.Col. Kewalee, who was in charge of testing several items in the investigation, also said that original pieces of evidence, such as a condom found at the crime scene, are still in police custody, though she added that the DNA traces on the objects diminish over time.

The availability of more forensic evidence is seen as a huge victory for the defense team, which has repeatedly protested their inability to access the alleged DNA match that police say incriminates the two suspects, who names are Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo.

The pair has been charged with raping and murdering Hannah Witheridge, 23, and murdering David Miller, 24, on the island of Koh Tao in September 2014. If found guilty, the 22-year-olds could face the death penalty.

Police’s internal processing of the forensic tests - which were conducted privately in police lab - and the prosecution’s efforts to evade an independent re-examination of the evidence have fed long-running suspicions that the two Burmese migrant workers were framed.

Read More: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1437661326

kse.png

-- Khaosod English 2015-07-23

What a fabulously strong photo that is of unity and truth-seeking.

The whole article is a fascinating read. Particularly telling is the refusal to allow the defense to see any of the photographs from the post-mortems, or the chains of custody of the DNA items.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said before early in this topic that if your going to fabricate a story and lie to fufill your agenda you have to be very very good. The RTP have never and will never be very very good. They are in a deep deep hole and it's getting deeper with each passing day. They don't get it do they and with every day this trial goes on the blatant incompetence and criminality is quite honestly more incredible and unbelievable. There is too many people involved in this RTP cover up and there not intelligent or have any organisation skills to pull this off. It's very very sad for the good people of Thailand, the poor parents of Hannah and David and also which has often been forgotten on here the accused and there families. I also find it more than slightly disconcerting that the RTP supporters on here are still sticking to there story and defense despite constant massive flaws in the prosecutions case and procedures carried out. I am all for people having opinions and in fact a different view point is healthy in most situations but while I could to an extent in the early days while a support of the RTP case could be justified to a degree it's clear as the story as unfolded that this case is as most feared and many expected. I seriously wonder about certain posters angle on here and while I don't necessary think they have to have a direct vested interest in this case there is for sure money or favours changing hands. Nobody, and I mean nobody flogs a dead horse! As I said earlier I'm all for different angles and opinions but there defence is boarding on embarrassing . While I expect an response from the usual suspects I would just ask them to prove! not just say what RTP say to explain the massive anomalies that keep occurring . I will wait with baited breath!! Start with not checking the CTV on the pier. Then go to no recording of interview, then try no pictures of crime scene due to lack of budget. Then if you have time explain the report of the one blow to David. Good luck! And there so much more isn't there.

Edited by Nigeone

Time to put an end to this farce. Time to admit you have no desire to catch the killers. Time to admit foreigners are worthless other than for the dollar they bring to Thailand.

Time to Tell the truth. You don't care who killed the Brits.

Yes, they should investigate every lead, but just because they didn't review the CCTV footage it doesn't mean they didn't.

They collected the footage, so evidently they checked out the pier but for some reason didn't consider it worthwhile to review the footage from the cameras, maybe they just established that no boats left from the pier during that time by interviewing people there; it's up to the defense to ask for the reasons behind that decision and see if they stand up to scrutiny.

Darnnit then you go and say that!

IMO it is indefensible to say that they may have had a valid reason for not checking it, just my opinion though

I don't think it's invalid to suggest that if the established by other means that no boats left during that time that reviewing that footage wouldn't be relevant to the investigation, or at least any more relevant than reviewing footage from any other part of the island.

But like I said before if they didn't give explanations on why that was the course they took they should.

Just to make sure I have understood correctly...

2 people gruesomely murdered.

A boat left the pier / beach 1 hour after the murders / bodies found. There is/was cctv of this (still in existance?)

If someone(s) told the police that no boat left the beach / pier near to the scene then they should just accept that and not bother confirming this information for themselves by viewing some readily available cctv footage?

I appreciate that was only one scenario you say could have taken place, but really whether it was that or ANY other scenario can you really say that is acceptable police investigating not to check cctv to validate this within hours of a double murder in the same vicinity?

Unless a better hypothetical reason can be put forward for not viewing it then I feel I must retract my recent earlier statement where I said I felt your posts were often valid and unbiased. I have to as I have no desire to even remotely endorse an opinion like that. It seems we're miles apart on what is acceptable / excusable after all.

In fact it sounds like they knew about the boat leaving but just 'thought' the killers would not take the boat.

So they actually knew there was a boat that left shortly after the murders and still didn't check the cctv. Incredible!

The court in Koh Samui heard that the senior investigating police chief and his officers did not believe the killer would have taken that boat, which left an hour or so after the estimated time of death of the pair.

"We have the footage, but we never checked it," Police Colonel Cherdpong said.

These 8 fold steps are an essence of Buddhism.

Right Views, Right Intention, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood/Occupation, Right Endeavor, Right Mindfulness.

I'd say the General and RTP have failed in every one.

I've not heard it confirmed but I know the parents of Hannah and David were in court for the first part of the case but not that there at the court this time. Anybody confirm they are please

That is correct. The Burmese victims' mothers were in court, but the British victims' families were not.

I've not heard it confirmed but I know the parents of Hannah and David were in court for the first part of the case but not that there at the court this time. Anybody confirm they are please

I don't believe parents are there. It was reported that representatives were there instead.

Koh Tao Murder Trial: More Forensic Evidence Available for Re-Test, Witness Reveals

By Khaosod Eng.

The mothers of Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo with their defense lawyers outside the Koh Samui court, 23 July 2015.

SURAT THANI — Challenging previous testimony provided by police, a forensic expert told the court where two Burmese men are being tried for murdering British tourists on a Thai island that more evidence is available for the independent re-test requested by the defence team earlier this month.

Her testimony contradicted what police witnesses told the court during the first three days of the trial on July 8-10: that only four items were available for a re-examination because other key pieces of evidence, such swabs of DNA taken from the victims’ bodies, were "used up."

Today’s witness, a scientist from police’s forensic division named Kewalee Chanpan, said that "all" genetic material tested in the lab is replicated for future processing.

Pol.Lt.Col. Kewalee, who was in charge of testing several items in the investigation, also said that original pieces of evidence, such as a condom found at the crime scene, are still in police custody, though she added that the DNA traces on the objects diminish over time.

The availability of more forensic evidence is seen as a huge victory for the defense team, which has repeatedly protested their inability to access the alleged DNA match that police say incriminates the two suspects, who names are Zaw Lin and Wai Phyo.

The pair has been charged with raping and murdering Hannah Witheridge, 23, and murdering David Miller, 24, on the island of Koh Tao in September 2014. If found guilty, the 22-year-olds could face the death penalty.

Police’s internal processing of the forensic tests - which were conducted privately in police lab - and the prosecution’s efforts to evade an independent re-examination of the evidence have fed long-running suspicions that the two Burmese migrant workers were framed.

kse.png

The whole article is a fascinating read. Particularly telling is the refusal to allow the defense to see any of the photographs from the post-mortems, or the chains of custody of the DNA items.

He said the institute is still processing the items that were sent for a retest earlier this month, which included the bloodied garden hoe police believe was used in the murder, and a shoe, sock, and bag found at the crime scene.

Greenchair, who used to post on TV regularly, highlighted many CCTV stills of what appeared to be Maung Maung walking in the early hours of the morning with only one shoe on. Food for thought.

Edited by catsanddogs

The man Ms Witheridge was rumoured to have an altercation with at the bar was seen on CCTV in Bangkok later on the morning of September 15, and has denied having anything to do with the murders.

He gave DNA samples in front of reporters to try to quell rumours that he was involved.

But in court today the senior investigating officer said he had never received the results of those DNA tests, or indeed any documentation from Bangkok regarding any interview with the man. He said he had been promised a report but it never arrived.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/hannah_witheridge_murder_trial_defence_team_hope_to_re_test_crucial_forensic_evidence_1_4164482

By Khaosod Eng.

SURAT THANI Challenging previous testimony provided by police, a forensic expert told the court where two Burmese men are being tried for murdering British tourists on a Thai island that more evidence is available for the independent re-test requested by the defence team earlier this month.

Her testimony contradicted what police witnesses told the court during the first three days of the trial on July 8-10: that only four items were available for a re-examination because other key pieces of evidence, such swabs of DNA taken from the victims bodies, were "used up."

Todays witness, a scientist from polices forensic division named Kewalee Chanpan, said that "all" genetic material tested in the lab is replicated for future processing.

Polices internal processing of the forensic tests - which were conducted privately in police lab - and the prosecutions efforts to evade an independent re-examination of the evidence have fed long-running suspicions that the two Burmese migrant workers were framed.

kse.png

Yes. And smiles of cautious optimism.

But for God's sake! This is a top profile murder, a freaking detective MUST follow any lead! How can this lead be left out???

How can you even think to give an excuse to RTP for this (among the thousand other) utter proof of incompetence and total lack of professionalism???

Yes, they should investigate every lead, but just because they didn't review the CCTV footage it doesn't mean they didn't.

They collected the footage, so evidently they checked out the pier but for some reason didn't consider it worthwhile to review the footage from the cameras, maybe they just established that no boats left from the pier during that time by interviewing people there; it's up to the defense to ask for the reasons behind that decision and see if they stand up to scrutiny.

Darnnit then you go and say that!

IMO it is indefensible to say that they may have had a valid reason for not checking it, just my opinion though

I don't think it's invalid to suggest that if the established by other means that no boats left during that time that reviewing that footage wouldn't be relevant to the investigation, or at least any more relevant than reviewing footage from any other part of the island.

But like I said before if they didn't give explanations on why that was the course they took they should.

What other means?

Some bloke who owns a bar telling him that no boats left, is that better than looking at the CCTV?

Whilst its obvious you are not very bright, try and think what you'd expect for yourself.

Sickening how your kind can;t admit they are wrong and this is clearly a cover up and these 2 lads are scape goats.

Actually, prior to closing my days in this infested corrupt shit hole of a country with or without my lovely wife, I'd like to ask if GB and JTJ et al might like to meet for a beer.

Believe me, I'd love to.

Your agendas are flawed and I'd like to have a drink with you well away from the RTP.

On another note several nights ago, it was interesting (not) to listen to the BS pitch the General gave same time on TV.

Out of the economy, education, utilities, agriculture and tourism, he spent most of his time BS'ing about the need to reduce corruption. I couldn't <deleted> believe it.

To the General if you get wind of these posts.....I can't write it I'm afraid. The mods will rightly pull the post. You're an uneducated stupid <deleted>.

There, I just couldn't help myself.

Best of luck to you blackfox wherever you end up. Myself, Mrs. Shock and our 4 shocklings are also leaving within the next six weeks. Just had enough of EVERYTHING! And will not return. It is sad to have to sell everything we have worked for and say goodbye to those very special people that have become part of our lives over the last 15 years.

But, the writing is on the wall and (if it isn't already) this country will become a failed state.

I have a question I've never seen answered. Is it known that there is true DNA from Hannah? The news said that her body was cleaned and embalmed before being sent to the UK. I haven't read anything that said Scotland Yard recovered DNA from Hannah. Who would we trust? What is there to compare to today that would be known to have been at the crime scene?

Cheers.

Surely to god there is, surely the autopsy that was done in the UK would have taken such samples, the chances of every last drop of semen being cleaned away must be zero.

I still have this question please.

Did anyone ever hear a report that Scotland Yard had a sample of the rapist's DNA from Hannah's body after it was returned to the UK? I ask because what else could forensics compare the boys' or the killers' DNA with that would be reliable? Who would trust the BiB to say "This is it"?

1. Without a proven chain of evidence from anyone to Hannah, who would know?

2. DNA in Hannah only proves sex, it doesn't prove rape much less murder at that moment. Sex could have happened earlier.

3. DNA on the murder weapon would have proven something, but only who handled it.

4. I recall reports that Hannah and David were cleaned and embalmed. Embalming can destroy "DNA. Samples generally considered unsuitable for testing with current techniques include embalmed bodies."

Does Scotland Yard have something to compare with to find out who if anyone had sex with Hannah?

I can't figure out what good all of this DNA talk is doing.

Thanks.

The man Ms Witheridge was rumoured to have an altercation with at the bar was seen on CCTV in Bangkok later on the morning of September 15, and has denied having anything to do with the murders.

He gave DNA samples in front of reporters to try to quell rumours that he was involved.

But in court today the senior investigating officer said he had never received the results of those DNA tests, or indeed any documentation from Bangkok regarding any interview with the man. He said he had been promised a report but it never arrived.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/hannah_witheridge_murder_trial_defence_team_hope_to_re_test_crucial_forensic_evidence_1_4164482

Wow..and so it goes on. 'The Perfect Case'. There has not been one day that the incompetence has not been to the fore. I keep saying it. The best defense is the prosecution. There hasn't been one! And I repeat one credible piece of evidence in 5 days! now to remotely show the B2 were involved. That must be a record for any trial in any country. They have 8 days to present their case and 5 have gone with nothing...zilch! Incredible and very very sad. It seems I'm repeating myself but it's just mind blowing.

I have a question I've never seen answered. Is it known that there is true DNA from Hannah? The news said that her body was cleaned and embalmed before being sent to the UK. I haven't read anything that said Scotland Yard recovered DNA from Hannah. Who would we trust? What is there to compare to today that would be known to have been at the crime scene?

Cheers.

Surely to god there is, surely the autopsy that was done in the UK would have taken such samples, the chances of every last drop of semen being cleaned away must be zero.

Did anyone ever hear a report that Scotland Yard had a sample of the rapist's DNA from Hannah's body after it was returned to the UK? I ask because what else could forensics compare the boys' or the killers' DNA with that would be reliable? Who would trust the BiB to say "This is it"?

2. DNA in Hannah only proves sex, it doesn't prove rape much less murder at that moment. Sex could have happened earlier.

3. DNA on the murder weapon would have proven something, but only who handled it.

4. I recall reports that Hannah and David were cleaned and embalmed. Embalming can destroy "DNA. Samples generally considered unsuitable for testing with current techniques include embalmed bodies."

Does Scotland Yard have something to compare with to find out who if anyone had sex with Hannah?

Thanks.

Scotland Yards finest proved to be incompetent and on a 2 week taxpayer funded jolly and have nothing to do with this case.

As the sperm would be inside her its possible embalming chemicals would not destroy DNA.

http://www.quora.com/How-does-embalming-affect-the-decay-rate-of-DNA

Edited by ffaarraanngg

Actually, prior to closing my days in this infested corrupt shit hole of a country with or without my lovely wife, I'd like to ask if GB and JTJ et al might like to meet for a beer.

Believe me, I'd love to.

Your agendas are flawed and I'd like to have a drink with you well away from the RTP.

On another note several nights ago, it was interesting (not) to listen to the BS pitch the General gave same time on TV.

Out of the economy, education, utilities, agriculture and tourism, he spent most of his time BS'ing about the need to reduce corruption. I couldn't <deleted> believe it.

To the General if you get wind of these posts.....I can't write it I'm afraid. The mods will rightly pull the post. You're an uneducated stupid <deleted>.

Best of luck to you blackfox wherever you end up. Myself, Mrs. Shock and our 4 shocklings are also leaving within the next six weeks. Just had enough of EVERYTHING! And will not return. It is sad to have to sell everything we have worked for and say goodbye to those very special people that have become part of our lives over the last 15 years.

But, the writing is on the wall and (if it isn't already) this country will become a failed state.

Same here. We left Thailand 2 weeks ago and moved to the UK with our 2 kids. I cannot remember the last time I saw anything in the news which made me proud of the country I called my home for the last 6 years . This case and everybody involved was just another point on a very long list of reasons to not live in Thailand.

No way I would want my kids growing up there.

Cheers.

Thanks.

We do not know. Bodies sent on commercial airline flights usually need to be embalmed, which would destroy most DNA evidence. Special arrangements can be made to return bodies without embalming them first. We have no idea if this occurred. We have no information from the UK autopsies, other than that they were done by the Home Office pathologist.

Believe me, I'd love to.

I hope for your sake its just the one flight you book back to Farangland.

Wow..and so it goes on. 'The Perfect Case'. There has not been one day that the incompetence has not been to the fore. I keep saying it. The best defense is the prosecution. There hasn't been one! And I repeat one credible piece of evidence in 5 days! now to remotely show the B2 were involved. That must be a record for any trial in any country. They have 8 days to present their case and 5 have gone with nothing...zilch! Incredible and very very sad. It seems I'm repeating myself but it's just mind blowing.

I am amazed you are amazed. The only thing that has surprised me about the case so far is just how little effort the prosecution has put into the case.

Seems to me they are not even trying to get a conviction.

I don't know how they managed to get the thing to court with the evidence shown so far.

Still the famous 4 or 5 still stand by their motto...................... In the RTP we trust.

Cheers.

Thanks.

Scotland Yards finest proved to be incompetent and on a 2 week taxpayer funded jolly and have nothing to do with this case.

As the sperm would be inside her its possible embalming chemicals would not destroy DNA.

http://www.quora.com/How-does-embalming-affect-the-decay-rate-of-DNA

While it's easy to see why you might come to those conclusions because of lack of information coming from the UK police there's actually no way at this stage whether that conclusion is justified. We would have to know what or indeed was there anything they were allowed to examine and remember it has been stated that they were only allowed to observe. We don't know what observations they were privy too.

There was a DNA specialist with the UK party but again we don't know the level he was allowed to be involved. I suspect with what's coming out in court they didn't get to see anything that might remotely undermine the prosecutions case. My opinion only.

As for the usefulness of the DNA it's only relevant in conjunction with other evidence and provided it's been collected and stored and tested correctly. This quite clearly as I and many others have stated wasn't the case.

As the other poster says all the DNA samples reported to be tested don't confirm that anybody committed the murder only that possible had something to do with the rape and possible there on the beach. As a addition the chance of samples inside a body wouldn't be likely as its reported that a condom was used. Of course we only have the RTP version of events off this. This is of course reliant on the earlier mentioned fact that if DNA was collected etc correctly. I don't see how any and I repeat any of the DNA can be used in this trial and I'm sure in the UK or other civilised countries it would already be discounted and probably the case would not have even made it to court. Up to now if I read the situation correctly as of 5 days of court there's no evidence of the B2 been remotely guilty and it seems unless a rabbits coming out of a hat that the RTP case rests on DNA which was compromised and even then doesn't prove murder anyway.

Edited by Nigeone

Well worth repeating.

< snip >

You maybe keep saying it but I maybe said it straight-out before you did and there were a lot of folks who did not agree at the time and said that the Prosecution and their supporters (meaning you-know-who) would be able to pull it off anyway.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/804973-capital-punishment-concerns-raised-over-thai-backpackers-murder-case/page-27#entry9216377

< snip >

You maybe keep saying it but I maybe said it straight-out before you did and there were a lot of folks who did not agree at the time and said that the Prosecution and their supporters (meaning you-know-who) would be able to pull it off anyway.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/804973-capital-punishment-concerns-raised-over-thai-backpackers-murder-case/page-27#entry9216377

Indeed you did - sort of. Well done. Here's a sticker smile.png .

Edited by catsanddogs

< snip >

The big question still is, even with the farcical case presented against them, will the judges find the Burmese kids innocent?