Koh Tao: Trial opens for 2 accused of killing British tourists

webfact

Recall the two accused Burmese were not the first suspects arrested for the murders.

2014-09-17

Surat Thani police yesterday arrested a British tourist after he was suspected to have connection with the deaths of two fellow Britons in Koh Tao off Surat Thani coast.

Police identified the British back packer as Christopher Alanvare.

Police said they arrested him after employees of a resort on the beach told police that Mr Christopher was seen strolling near the scene where the two British tourists were killed on the night of September 14.

Besides they also found a significant evidence which is a blood stain on his clothes.

Police said Christopher urgently left the popular diving paradise on the first ferry to the mainland the next day after the murder was discovered.

So convinced that Chris was guilty, the police chief announced that the murders were about to be brought to justice. Prayut followed with a statement that no Thai would commit such a crime. Then the "evidence" failed to implicate Chris and the police had to actually begin an investigation in earnst.

Wasn't this the point where the RTP had "allegedly" planted the shirt in this guy's bags?

All adds to the credibility of the RTP huh? How will JD and Aleg and the rest of the shill "thicket" spin this?

The shirt you talk about belongs to the accused and is held as evidence!

They do not hold shirts of people who have been cleared of this crime.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the trial opened yesterday Andy Hall, an activist for a migrants group helping to fund the pair's case, told AFP the judge would decide whether the defence could independently test the controversial forensic evidence against their clients today.

"We feel confident he will allow it," he said of tests the defence had been demanding for months in order for a "fair trial". The defence team had also complained about not being given access to the forensic evidence, despite the court initially ruling in April that they could run their own independent tests. "There's a real lack of adequate disclosure by the prosecution and that worries us about whether there will be a fair trial," Hall, from the Migrant Worker Rights Network, told AFP before the judge confirmed a decision on this would be reached today.

The forensic material from the crime scene has been used by Thai police and prosecutors to insist they had charged the right men, saying it strongly pointed to the Myanmar pair as the perpetrators.

​No doubt the defendants deserve independent testing. There is little that the police or the government does here, that qualifies as independent, on any level. Is it too late for this? Is there a time limit by which the DNA and other evidence becomes less accurately tested? They should have been allowed this from the beginning. Many around the world have either lost faith in the particular brand of justice dispensed here, or are losing faith on a daily basis. Thailand has to be very, very careful the way it conducts itself during this "trial". The world is watching and listening. That might be making the judge, prosecutors and the big man somewhat uncomfortable, considering the possibility that some of the facts revealed, could be closer to the truth.

Thai policeman who lead the initial investigation into murder of 2 British backpackers tells BBC it will impossible to retest DNA samples

https://twitter.com/JonahFisherBBC

So now its down to the RTP and not the judge to decide? This is chaos and we are not currently seeing anything near what one would call a fair and transparent trial

For the Umpteenth Time, these people you constantly suggest were investigated from the first, but where cleared because they had an Iron Clad Alibi and had their DNA Tested, which did not match. How much more would your Police need to clear a suspect? .

"your police"? Not sure whether they're 'my police.' but to answer your Q; I would need a better alibi, than a CCTV shot of NS leaving the apartment 4.5 hours after the crime, when it would only take around 3.5 hours to get from the island to Bkk (if in a hurry) if taking the morning NOK AIR flight from Chompun. There's no chance we'll ever hear from Nok Air who was on that flight, Sept.15.

So on one hand you have earlier suspects, who through an Iron Clad Alibi, where one proved he could not have even been on the Island during the times of these murders, and DNA Samples taken from both them, that did not match Hannah's DNA Sample and thus cleared of any suspicion.

Sounds like that's your favorite adjective today, "Iron Clad" as you've used it several times to describe NS's flimsy alibi. BTW it's one word; 'ironclad' unless you're describing how Maggie Thatcher gets dressed each morning.

With Evidence like this, any Police Force in the World would arrest the 2 accused and charge them for this crime.

uhhhhh, ok, I guess so, if you say so.whistling.gif

"Evidence like this". Are you hypoxic Buggy when you write the huge amounts you do? Don't you have anything else to do here? "in the World". We gotta love that majuscule "W", Buggy, makes your case as certain as Fearless Leader feels it is.

Thai policeman who lead the initial investigation into murder of 2 British backpackers tells BBC it will impossible to retest DNA samples

So now its down to the RTP and not the judge to decide? This is chaos and we are not currently seeing anything near what one would call a fair and transparent trial

It's an absolute disgrace. This country should NOT be promoted as a safe tourist destination. It is a dangerous 3rd world cesspit that doesn't deserve ANY tourists

Recall the two accused Burmese were not the first suspects arrested for the murders.

2014-09-17

Surat Thani police yesterday arrested a British tourist after he was suspected to have connection with the deaths of two fellow Britons in Koh Tao off Surat Thani coast.

Police said they arrested him after employees of a resort on the beach told police that Mr Christopher was seen strolling near the scene where the two British tourists were killed on the night of September 14.

Besides they also found a significant evidence which is a blood stain on his clothes.

Police said Christopher urgently left the popular diving paradise on the first ferry to the mainland the next day after the murder was discovered.

So convinced that Chris was guilty, the police chief announced that the murders were about to be brought to justice. Prayut followed with a statement that no Thai would commit such a crime. Then the "evidence" failed to implicate Chris and the police ha certain ad to actually begin an investigation in earn

Part of the Blunders they did make, was to say something too the Media too soon. Everyone knows that! Even the Grand Conspiracy Theorists here.

Chris was far from the only suspect. There was David's Best Friend, the Boat Man, a man in a bar who appeared to have a conflict with David, The Head Man's Son and Brother, a Foot Ball Team, and Hell knows what I forgot or left out. But all were released due to lack of evidence.

The importance to all this is they were dropped as suspects due to the lack of Evidence. The 2 Accused were not! From what I have seen there is "No Lack of Evidence". Plain and Simple!

Well if you knew this case you would know that the man in charge before his promotion actually said that he had "proof and evidence" that a certain islander and another fellow who had left the island were responsible.

Funny how this went away. I mean i guess this guy was promoted because of his previous stellar work but in this case he doesnt seem to know how to communicate with the press and doesnt seem to know what proof and evidence meansblink.pngblink.png

To an overly nested comment above: I was not referring to speedboats. I was referring to the possibility that these crimes were committed by fellow tourists who were able to leave the island that morning on the scheduled ferry before any lockdown. I was not referring to the Immaculate Escape of everyone's favorite likely perp.

While your scenario is plausible, I suggest it's more likely that a few of the Thai football members who travelled to the island (if involved) left the scene early. I think it is unlikely that tourists would have committed this horrific crime.

But from your post I see it is you who is fixated on accusing the Head Man and his Family no matter what truth they find or come out.

Are you dislexic? All I've written many posts on this topic - relates to wanting truth and justice. Not Thai style justice, but verifiable no-stone-unturned justice. If the Headman's family members are cleared in a viable way, fine. I and everyone else who doubted them should leave them completely alone. I'll even publish a public apology. However, in the view of many observers, there are dozens of gaping issues regarding their culpability - which haven't been addressed. Either that, or such implicating things have been hidden, trashed, not looked for, altered, or explained falsely.

There you go again. Clipping part of my post without including yours then pleading the opposite as to what you said.

For the Umpteenth Time, these people you constantly suggest were investigated from the first, but where cleared because they had an Iron Clad Alibi and had their DNA Tested, which did not match. How much more would your Police need to clear a suspect? .

On the other hand, the 2 accused where placed on the beach and very near the murder scene, supported by eye witnesses, during the time of the Rape and Murder. Even a good Burmese Friend of the accused, who was with them, has made a sworn statement he was with them on the beach, at this close location, until 1 am. He said he left then and went to visit his girlfriend while his friends decided to stay on the beach to drink some more.

David and Hannah were last seen together leaving the Bar (AC Bar if I recall) near 1 am by witnesses and CCTV. They must have gone to there rented accommodations as David's Friend, Travel Companion, and Room Mate, by sworn statement says that David left shortly afterwards, and near 1 am. The Rape and Murders happened between 1 am, when last scene, and 6 am, when the bodies were discovered.

To my knowledge, nobody had seen them together in public after this 1 am time. So from the lack of a better word, logic would suggest they both must have went straight to this secluded spot on the beach, which is only 100 meters away from where they were staying. To do this they must have traveled right next to, or very near, the 2 Accused as they were still on the beach drinking. This time frame could be no later than 1:30 am. The autopsy seemed to confirm that they were both killed between 1:30 am and 2:30 am. Taking into account the time required to kill David, and to sexually assault Hannah and them murder her as well, they were both attached around 2 am, at the latest. ,

Even the 2 accused admitted to their whereabouts at their first Court Hearing. They stated they are innocent and when asked who they thought that did this they said they did not know. They stated they were on the beach in this location and time, but did not see anything. Like David and Hannah walking by them, which was the only path to get where they were going. They said they were "DRUNK" and just staggered home, although they did not know the time and nobody saw them do this.

So on one hand you have earlier suspects, who through an Iron Clad Alibi, where one proved he could not have even been on the Island during the times of these murders, and DNA Samples taken from both them, that did not match Hannah's DNA Sample and thus cleared of any suspicion.

On the other hand, you have 2 accused who they themselves claim they were near the crime scene and near or during the times of the murders, but saw nothing. They claim they did not see David and Hannah yet claim they found Davids Cell Phone on the beach. Who there only Alibi is themselves, staggering home drunk at an unknown time, with no other witnesses to collaborate their story. Who DNA matched the DNA on Cigarette Butts found at the Crime Scene. Who's DNA Matched the Sperm Samples taken for Hannah.

With Evidence like this, any Police Force in the World would arrest the 2 accused and charge them for this crime. .

. . .

Yet another shill :-(

How many times are you going to repeat your "IRON CLAD ALIBI" mantra?? Is that what you have been asked to spread around?

You are spouting a very one sided view of the whole thing. The two accused are guilty of being on that beach around the time.

isn't there an issue of some missing CCTV footage regarding some other potential suspects? Didn't the senior RTP officer at the time on Koh Tao feel sufficiently confident of these people's involvement to actually name them in the press?

It's very convenient and disgustingly dis-ingenuous of you to omit (ok, let's be fair, maybe "forget") these facts.

The reason there is such a debate over this story is the wide-held belief that the RTP is a corrupt institution that has been know in the past to "bend" justice to serve the cause of well connected "Hi-So" Thais. If the Police have cigarette butts with the DNA of the two Burmese who have already admitted being in the vicinity, I don't see that as particularly damaging. Easy enough to plant them at the actual scene. As for the DNA found, supposedly, in Hanna, also easy enough to plant, if you accept that the RTP are not whiter than white a lot of the time.

I think that an acid test will prove to be whether the court allows for re=testing of all DNA by an independent lab and whether those tests support the RTP's case.

At the very least, the investigation was amateur, shambolic and showed the RTP in a very, very poor light.

It will be interesting to see how the whole trial unfolds.

No surprise to most here to learn that the press' support teams are being intimidated.

I have not left anything out. The above were cleared by DNA Evidence!

It is the "Defense Attorney's" job to create Doubt on the Strong Prosecution Evidence. They are doing that without you. So stay out of this!

I think we all expected a comment like that from the RTP.. Unbelievable! Surely people including the families of the victims will not be satisfied with this response. You can't send these guys to jail based on sloppy police work.

The S*** is slowly hitting the fan...The Sky reporter just to clarify said the translator working for them has been threatened and can not now help them..have listened to it live three times now..also a senior Police guy has said the initial DNA is not able to be tested as it isn't there anymore..or isn't enough to test left..how does that work?

The S*** is slowly hitting the fan...The Sky reporter just to clarify said the translator working for them has been threatened and can not now help them..have listened to it live three times now..

I'm betting that jdinasia, AleG, Goldbuggy etc will be coming on to say that this is part of a setup by the defense team to try and have the case thrown out of court

To an overly nested comment above: I was not referring to speedboats. I was referring to the possibility that these crimes were committed by fellow tourists who were able to leave the island that morning on the scheduled ferry before any lockdown. I was not referring to the Immaculate Escape of everyone's favorite likely perp.

While your scenario is plausible, I suggest it's more likely that a few of the Thai football members who travelled to the island (if involved) left the scene early. I think it is unlikely that tourists would have committed this horrific crime.

Thank you. You've already stated many times what you think. That is why I posted an alternative, if indeed the 2 on trial are not in any way complicit in these crimes, to what you think.

Defence lawyer tells us senior police officer claims DNA found on cigarettes at scene is "finished"

https://twitter.com/jonathansamuels

Finished? What does he mean by that, its gone, disappeared??? Thats so useful if its the case, no need for independent verification as we don't have it any more!!!

I suggest it means that there is no sample left to test. Therefore the only 'evidence' is the RTP's reported match, which cannot be contested.

2014-09-17

So convinced that Chris was guilty, the police chief announced that the murders were about to be brought to justice. Prayut followed with a statement that no Thai would commit such a crime. Then the "evidence" failed to implicate Chris and the police had to actually begin an investigation in earnst.

Part of the Blunders they did make, was to say something too the Media too soon. Everyone knows that! Even the Grand Conspiracy Theorists here.

Chris was far from the only suspect. There was David's Best Friend, the Boat Man, a man in a bar who appeared to have a conflict with David, The Head Man's Son and Brother, a Foot Ball Team, and Hell knows what I forgot or left out. But all were released due to lack of evidence.

The importance to all this is they were dropped as suspects due to the lack of Evidence. The 2 Accused were not! From what I have seen there is "No Lack of Evidence". Plain and Simple!

So please share three of four items of specific hard undisputable evidence in regard to the Burmese boys.

The S*** is slowly hitting the fan...The Sky reporter just to clarify said the translator working for them has been threatened and can not now help them..have listened to it live three times now..

I'm betting that jdinasia, AleG, Goldbuggy etc will be coming on to say that this is part of a setup by the defense team to try and have the case thrown out of court

They can say what they want...nothing and I repeat nothing that I have heard or seen makes think this is anything but a set up...and I really really hope the court judge is backed into a corner and never mind this face crap...justice is seen to be done..I think being hear in the UK at the moment I'm really really surprised how much constant coverage is getting..I'm glad it is as the UK media is notorious for not letting go and the threats by 'mafia' to interpreters is not going to do the authorities in Thailand any good..I wouldn't want to cross the UK media...

Good, because if that's true the "mafia: are digging there own graves.

The British press won't fear them in the slightest, and will go after them big time.

This is very disturbing, tweet just in from Jonathan Samuels:

Our Thai translator at backpacker murder trial says she's been 'warned off' by 'the Mafia'. Elements here clearly fear a fair trial

The mafia warning off the Thai translator for Sky News shows just how far they will go. Its little wonder that the defense have stated that important witnesses they have are too scared to testify.

But yes this will backfire on them and will only give the media more determination to report every chaotic aspect of this case, ie tell the truth no matter what the consequences. There are obviously some people who are in a state of fear that the truth will be revealed.

Reminds me of the statement Andy Hall made some time ago and kind of reinforces that

“It’s really challenging getting witnesses for them because everyone’s so scared,” Hall said. He said that Thais living on Koh Tao are especially scared to speak out, because they have names and addresses that can be easily tracked. People are scared that their businesses will be closed or their lives will be threatened, even that they could be killed, Hall said. http://asiancorrespondent.com/128732/koh-tao-murder-suspects-issue-plea-for-witnesses-ahead-of-formal-charges/

Sounds like further Bull-shit from the Defense, which is what they want.

Andy Hall is not bias! He has stated his personal opinion on several links but without Evidence. He tries to sound neutral but makes mistakes. He makes a good living here without working! Unless someone can show me he is given money from his mother, and it comes from other sources.

A Gravy Train is just that! The smart ones know how to find it and pump it. The many dumb ones support it!

A Fact of Life! .

Defence lawyer tells us senior police officer claims DNA found on cigarettes at scene is "finished"

Finished? What does he mean by that, its gone, disappeared??? Thats so useful if its the case, no need for independent verification as we don't have it any more!!!

I suggest it means that there is no sample left to test. Therefore the only 'evidence' is the RTP's reported match, which cannot be contested.

How can it be a fair trial if the defense aren't able to see the evidence? If it doesn't exist anymore, who's to say they ever did?

The police said they've 'lost' them or only sufficient for one test. How could anyone ever believe such an unprofessional statement? It's clear that the defence are being thwarted at every turn.

Why do you say it's unlikely that tourists would have committed this crime?

If it's just your wild assumption then your comment has no meaning whatever.

This island is always full of young Brits, many of them boisterous and some even a bit immature and also from other countries, so I will make the suggestion that it's possible another boy took a fancy to the young lady now sadly passed away. It has been reported much earlier that the unfortunate couple had an argument earlier in the evening.

One the other hand, if you have specific reason to make your above statement then please share.

But from your post I see it is you who is fixated on accusing the Head Man and his Family no matter what truth they find or come out.

Are you dislexic? All I've written many posts on this topic - relates to wanting truth and justice. Not Thai style justice, but verifiable no-stone-unturned justice. If the Headman's family members are cleared in a viable way, fine. I and everyone else who doubted them should leave them completely alone. I'll even publish a public apology. However, in the view of many observers, there are dozens of gaping issues regarding their culpability - which haven't been addressed. Either that, or such implicating things have been hidden, trashed, not looked for, altered, or explained falsely.

There you go again. Clipping part of my post without including yours then pleading the opposite as to what you said.

On the other hand, the 2 accused where placed on the beach and very near the murder scene, supported by eye witnesses, during the time of the Rape and Murder. Even a good Burmese Friend of the accused, who was with them, has made a sworn statement he was with them on the beach, at this close location, until 1 am. He said he left then and went to visit his girlfriend while his friends decided to stay on the beach to drink some more.

David and Hannah were last seen together leaving the Bar (AC Bar if I recall) near 1 am by witnesses and CCTV. They must have gone to there rented accommodations as David's Friend, Travel Companion, and Room Mate, by sworn statement says that David left shortly afterwards, and near 1 am. The Rape and Murders happened between 1 am, when last scene, and 6 am, when the bodies were discovered.

To my knowledge, nobody had seen them together in public after this 1 am time. So from the lack of a better word, logic would suggest they both must have went straight to this secluded spot on the beach, which is only 100 meters away from where they were staying. To do this they must have traveled right next to, or very near, the 2 Accused as they were still on the beach drinking. This time frame could be no later than 1:30 am. The autopsy seemed to confirm that they were both killed between 1:30 am and 2:30 am. Taking into account the time required to kill David, and to sexually assault Hannah and them murder her as well, they were both attached around 2 am, at the latest. ,

Even the 2 accused admitted to their whereabouts at their first Court Hearing. They stated they are innocent and when asked who they thought that did this they said they did not know. They stated they were on the beach in this location and time, but did not see anything. Like David and Hannah walking by them, which was the only path to get where they were going. They said they were "DRUNK" and just staggered home, although they did not know the time and nobody saw them do this.

On the other hand, you have 2 accused who they themselves claim they were near the crime scene and near or during the times of the murders, but saw nothing. They claim they did not see David and Hannah yet claim they found Davids Cell Phone on the beach. Who there only Alibi is themselves, staggering home drunk at an unknown time, with no other witnesses to collaborate their story. Who DNA matched the DNA on Cigarette Butts found at the Crime Scene. Who's DNA Matched the Sperm Samples taken for Hannah.

With Evidence like this, any Police Force in the World would arrest the 2 accused and charge them for this crime. .

. . .

where are you getting all this from ? do you or did you have access to the case files, I have not read any such information in such detail in connection with this case, I have read some people speculating about such things but nothing official

Totally disgusted. I am not among who is sure that the Burmese duo is innocent, but RTP lack of professionalism, skills, and moral is shining in all its brightness...

DNA sample is finished, lost, gone... how convenient.

This island is always full of young Brits, many of them boisterous and some even a bit immature and also from other countries, so I will make the suggestion that it's possible another boy took a fancy to the young lady now sadly passed away. It has been reported much earlier that the unfortunate couple had an argument earlier in the evening.

One the other hand, if you have specific reason to make your above statement then please share.

My answer to a previous query by someone other than Mr. Terry: Drugs.

How can it be a fair trial if the defense aren't able to see the evidence? If it doesn't exist anymore, who's to say they ever did?

Exactly. But the RTP will produce the matching DNA report as evidence, probably signed off all the way up the line as being genuine.

The police said they've 'lost' them or only sufficient for one test. How could anyone ever believe such an unprofessional statement? It's clear that the defence are being thwarted at every turn.

Or perhaps very soon the judge / judges will say the police case if so full of holes and so severely lacking in professionalism and structure therefore casting doubts whether the trial should even proceed.

My answer to a previous query by someone other than Mr. Terry: Drugs.

So is it your opinion that all the other tourists were on drugs and therefore could not have committed this crime?

Good, because if that's true the "mafia: are digging there own graves.

The British press won't fear them in the slightest, and will go after them big time.

This is very disturbing, tweet just in from Jonathan Samuels:

Our Thai translator at backpacker murder trial says she's been 'warned off' by 'the Mafia'. Elements here clearly fear a fair trial

The mafia warning off the Thai translator for Sky News shows just how far they will go. Its little wonder that the defense have stated that important witnesses they have are too scared to testify.

But yes this will backfire on them and will only give the media more determination to report every chaotic aspect of this case, ie tell the truth no matter what the consequences. There are obviously some people who are in a state of fear that the truth will be revealed.

Reminds me of the statement Andy Hall made some time ago and kind of reinforces that

Its really challenging getting witnesses for them because everyones so scared, Hall said. He said that Thais living on Koh Tao are especially scared to speak out, because they have names and addresses that can be easily tracked. People are scared that their businesses will be closed or their lives will be threatened, even that they could be killed, Hall said. http://asiancorrespondent.com/128732/koh-tao-murder-suspects-issue-plea-for-witnesses-ahead-of-formal-charges/

Sounds like further Bull-shit from the Defense, which is what they want.

Andy Hall is not bias! He has stated his personal opinion on several links but without Evidence. He tries to sound neutral but makes mistakes. He makes a good living here without working! Unless someone can show me he is given money from his mother, and it comes from other sources.

A Gravy Train is just that! The smart ones know how to find it and pump it. The many dumb ones support it!

A Fact of Life! .

Are you for real....The Sky reporter saying that his interpreter has been threatned by Mafia...why would there be threats if the case was watertight...UK media in this situation is not going to lie..it's too risky...A BBC reporter earlier was speaking to a Burmese on Koh Tao and he also said they had been threatened ..and everybody else had been warned off by Mafia..why do you think that is...And now the DNA is supposedly not able to be used..how is that? There digging up bodies from the Great War..over 100 years ago and matching it...I'm sorry but none of this stacks up in your favor and your co posters....The other issue is the Thai's are not clever enough in a situation like this and defense but more likely human rights and the media are going to crucify them with all these anomalies ... The RTP and Thailand is already coming out of this very badly and it's going to get worse....and you know..how sad is it that two people had to die in terrible circumstances for this to come to ahead..I can't imagine how the parents must be feeling....they are I'm sure intelligent people and will be starting to wonder what the hells been going on

Mr Nakhon if you expect justice to be done i would expect all parties to be able to scrutinise evidence and ask serious questions of the investigative process.

I feel dreadfully sorry for the boys on trial. I just can't see how they did it when all viable evidence points elsewhere. They've suffered enough so hope they are acquitted sooner rather than later

I really don't see why you should feel sorry for the boys who are accused of Raping and Murdering that girl, and other boy. You should feel happy for them now.

After all they have been held in Custody since last October. But now they have a change to present all this "viable evidence" you claim they have and thus surely they will be set free.

I mean who could hold anyone with all this viable evidence that nobody has seen or heard about yet, with all this media attention?

Do you, or have you ever lived in Thailand as you don't seem to have much knowledge or idea of just how the RTP operate.

Do You! And have committed such crime you claim to know so much about?

Archived