Koh Tao: Trial opens for 2 accused of killing British tourists

webfact

Please guys now that everyone has seen the horrific pictures of Hannah and David show some respect. Think of the family and friends of those poor young people, not only seeing those shocking explicit photos, but reading posts where "interested" readers are more concerned about slanging each other off than they are about the heartbroken families of the deceased.

I don't think you can assume 'everyone' has seen the pictures. I haven't and don't want to. Other posters have previously made it clear they haven't either and have no desire to.

I'm the same..I have know wish to see them and it's enough to hear people's responses to seeing them to imagine the severity of them .God knows what it must have been like for the parents in court seeing there loved ones like that. The only possible good that might!! come out of this is the showing up of the corrupt Thai police and justice system. How I wish that's going to happen but I'm not sure it is . This is one time when I'm grateful for the UK media because as a rule they don't let go of something like this

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JTJ

' Why would the British PM make such a call when UK investigators have indicated to the victim's family the police nabbed the right people for these crimes and the evidence is strong against them. '

Can you clarify what UK investigators ,

That was what I read in the papers also. At the time it was reported the families were satisfied that the right people had been arrested. possibly this came from the dreaded Foreign Office or Consulate rather than the actual investigators - people who are way too cosy with their hosts..

JTJ

' Why would the British PM make such a call when UK investigators have indicated to the victim's family the police nabbed the right people for these crimes and the evidence is strong against them. '

That was what I read in the papers also. At the time it was reported the families were satisfied that the right people had been arrested. possibly this came from the dreaded Foreign Office or Consulate rather than the actual investigators - people who are way too cosy with their hosts..

There was no UK investigators , observers only , the Met clarification letter was quite clear that they did not carry out any investigation

As for the families statement via the FCO this would appear to be based upon the information received from the RTP

The lab wasn't able to work out what colour the hair was that was sent for testing!?!

The court hearing the trial of two Burmese migrant workers charged with the murder of British backpackers David Miller and Hannah Witheridge has ordered the re-testing of forensic evidence collected at the murder scene.

The Samui Provincial Court, in allowing the defence team's request, ordered the public prosecutors to work with investigators to send all remaining forensic evidence, including a shovel, to the Justice Ministry's Central Institute of Forensic Science for re-testing.

The trial has been adjourned to 22 July.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/thailand-backpacker-murders-court-orders-re-tests-forensic-evidence-1510520

Perhaps like a Dyed Blond Hair which was actually Black?

I think the confusion with the B2 and blonde hair for one of the suspects was earlier in the year Wei had blonde highlights. However CCTV from the store clearly shows otherwise and the link was made because of his earlier colour change.

Unfortunately when you try to build a case by using selected cctv or statements and cant back it up with DNA results it would leave any reasonable person to be concerned the true killers are the 2 in court.

I don't know who done as none of us on here does but if they were my kids I would want to know the 2 people who get the death sentence are the correct ones. Not just a feeling I would want irrefutable evidence and I fear the familys will never get this as it stands at the moment.

The weight will always swing towards the police account despite DNA being used up, so the B2 really need the defence to throw a spanner in the works by introducing new evidence to dispute the version of events and I have a hunch that's what's going on now. I know they had they Autopsy results and it will have included the X-Rays.

I agree with much you are saying, especially that nobody here knows for sure, as we are not privy to certain information. Such as Evidence or Witnesses that may be brought forward to testify in court. I believe it was mentioned that the Prosecution has about 65 Witnesses, and the Defense 20, so probably why the Prosecution needs more time in court. But we are only just a few days into this trial that is expected to last until September and a verdict in October. So we have barely scratched the surface so far.

It has been mentioned in the Media that 1 of the accuse (I believe Lin) had dyed his hair back to Black from Blonde after the murders. We only have grainy poor CCTV to decide this but I am sure that if this is true it would be easy enough to prove by witnesses on the Island who knew him. Who worked with him every day.

There is also mentioned some CCTV Footage of a suspicious looking man go back and forth to the crime scene. I have not seen this footage, but it would not be uncommon for the Police to withhold evidence in and ongoing murder trail. In fact I would be surprised if they did not.

A popular misconception is that the Prosecution doesn't have DNA Evidence. Of course they do, as well as the Defense Team having access to it to. How else can the Defense Team make claim there are discrepancies between the DNA collected in the UK and that of Thailand if they did not have this to compare to?

I agree the Families may not see "irrefutable evidence". Could not a good Defense Lawyer contest any evidence you may have as a Prosecutor? So all they can do is listen and watch then when it is all over make there own conclusions. They have mentioned that they would like a fair and transparent trail, but also they were privy to some evidence we have not seen or heard about yet. They have mentioned that the Prosecution appears to have a strong and convincing case for the Defense to answer to.

Yes, I do agree with you that the Defense will need to throw a big spanner in the works in this case to turn the tide. Whether they have that or not is unknown at this time. It is unfortunate that the DNA was used up in this case, but it is what it is. There have been cases where evidence was actually lost in USA appeal trials, where even though this evidence could have have proven their innocents, it did nothing to overturn their sentence. I don't understand that if there was DNA collected from Hannah in the UK why they just don't get samples from the 2 accused and try to match them there? But there must be a good reason which I am unaware of or otherwise I think they would have done that already. .

JTJ

There was no UK investigators , observers only , the Met clarification letter was quite clear that they did not carry out any investigation

As for the families statement via the FCO this would appear to be based upon the information received from the RTP

If it makes you feel better to call police from the UK who looked into the case and evidence something other than investigators so be it. The bottom line though is the purpose of their visit was to look into the merits of the case against the accussed. But of course they were clueless and had no idea of what goes on here and did not research such crucial sources of expert advice from people in the know such as visiting CSI Facebook and ThaiVisa before coming to Thailand as well as forgetting they were here because people were questing if police were being honest and instead just took everything they were told by police on face value and could care less about the truth or justice for their citizens ... maybe even the Koh Tao mafia's sphere of influence doesn't just reach all levels of the Thai Justice System, Thai Police and Labs but also reaches into the UK. For all we know the tiny island Headsman could have use there influence to have these UK investigators inspectors police detectives observers assigned to the case because they are on their payroll too. It is just mind boggling all the highly implausible theories facts one can come up with.

here it is ....., I can show you the DNA samples ....................hang on - here they are in the cup holder of my Toyota Camry, oh wait I think they may have been stuck to that coffee cup I threw out the window, never mind I can assure you the tests were conclusive ......they did it....honest!!! why you not believe me...............I can prove it ..........oh wait ... no I can't - it went out the window

This case got me banned for almost two months from Thai visa form for saying it was not a foreigner who committed this act and why. Seems truth trumps bull. And just think of all the scapegoats in prison, who are suffering and lives destroyed. Now add to this all the unsolved murders and oh let's not forget the gazillion suspicious suicides that have happened in Thailand. I remember a guy got killed by a bar security who said this man wouldn't leave and waving a gun. Many people in this forum agreed the man must have been mafia and his killing was justifiable. In the end truth trumped bull and the security guard and manager was arrested for premeditated murder. When you have been here a lone time you know not to believe 99.9% of what the police or the media has to say. Because the right hand feeds the left in Thailand. I hope the famlies of every victim of Thailand gets their long awaited justice and the scapegoats get exonerated.

Looking again it was a wave, and someone carrying something, not a swing arm.

Oh what! she may have waved at someone that may be carrying something? There is possible mileage in the no 9 shirt man but not real evidence unless there is something else that connects that shirt to a person, but someone carrying what? A beer, a handbag, a phone? it can't really be helpful can it.

I wish the person that was supposed to have photo's of a confrontation in a bar during the evening would come forward

I wish the person that was supposed to have photo's of a confrontation in a bar during the evening would come forward

Maybe they will when the defence gets its turn. CCTV of the foreign woman running around the time of the crimes would be good too. The footage of the woman they have said could be a suspect or Hannah herself. They chose not to release that though. Any answers on why not?

not sure if it was a pattaya thing or nationwide - but all bars and nightclubs in pattaya were legally required to install cctv several years ago, why police claimed they were denied access to cctv in the head%%%% bar by Mon is another serious question that needs answered .... and the guy in the number 9 shirt looks seriously familiar as the head mans son

Are there any members, absolutely any members that still declare their belief that the 2 on trial are the guilty parties?

I'm pretty sure there are, but I don't have specifics because I have blocked the two main ones and their sycophantic "buddies".

JTJ

If it makes you feel better to call police from the UK who looked into the case and evidence something other than investigators so be it. The bottom line though is the purpose of their visit was to look into the merits of the case against the accussed. But of course they were clueless and had no idea of what goes on here and did not research such crucial sources of expert advice from people in the know such as visiting CSI Facebook and ThaiVisa before coming to Thailand as well as forgetting they were here because people were questing if police were being honest and instead just took everything they were told by police on face value and could care less about the truth or justice for their citizens ... maybe even the Koh Tao mafia's sphere of influence doesn't just reach all levels of the Thai Justice System, Thai Police and Labs but also reaches into the UK. For all we know the tiny island Headsman could have use there influence to have these UK investigators inspectors police detectives observers assigned to the case because they are on their payroll too. It is just mind boggling all the highly implausible theories facts one can come up with.

Yeah, right...so as a defender of the almighty RTP...what do you say to the "the DNA is used up"- BS and the "we didn't have enough money to file photos"?

How about the fact, that the "perfect case" was sent back to the RTP for 3 times (at least we know of) by the prosecutors, to get their sh1t together and come up with something...which explodes right into their face on the first three days of court, with "witnesses" telling thei were told to testify a certain storyline, that never existed...

What is mindboggling, is that a grown up homo sapiens can look at this complete and utter farce and still defend it!

Yeah, right...so as a defender of the almighty RTP...what do you say to the "the DNA is used up"- BS and the "we didn't have enough money to file photos"?

How about the fact, that the "perfect case" was sent back to the RTP for 3 times (at least we know of) by the prosecutors, to get their sh1t together and come up with something...which explodes right into their face on the first three days of court, with "witnesses" telling thei were told to testify a certain storyline, that never existed...

What is mindboggling, is that a grown up homo sapiens can look at this complete and utter farce and still defend it!

Well said, but we need to stop reading and replying to John Thailand John's post. The guy is clearly an obtuse troll.

I always skip straight past his nonsense posts.

I have said I will stay out of the discussion till the trial opens again. I have changed my mind. I feel this part of the case has not been discussed enough.

The whole police prosecution case is based around the fact that Hannah and David were together as a couple. And indeed they state that David was attacked from behind whilst they were in a romantic embrace.

There is loads of evidence that they were not together and none (so far) to suggest they were. If they were in fact in a romantic embrace or making love as we are led to believe there would be DNA to prove this. The pathologist said there was no DNA from David on Hannah's body.

All of the photo's show them apart. I remember one photo where they are sat at a table but they are at opposite ends and opposite sides. It would stand to reason that if they were together there would be cctv of them together throughout the evening. In fact there is lots of cctv of them enjoying their evenings seperately. There is no cctv of Hannah late in the evening into am but there is plenty of David going back and forth.

Where was Hannah? Surely her friends would have either been with her or realized she was missing.

I believe her friends and David's friends will have been asked what happened throughout the evening after they flew home. The fact that these friends have so far made no statements perhaps leads us to believe they have been told to keep quiet till after the prosecution has finished.

Looking again it was a wave, and someone carrying something, not a swing arm.

Oh what! she may have waved at someone that may be carrying something? There is possible mileage in the no 9 shirt man but not real evidence unless there is something else that connects that shirt to a person, but someone carrying what? A beer, a handbag, a phone? it can't really be helpful can it.

Maybe they will when the defence gets its turn. CCTV of the foreign woman running around the time of the crimes would be good too. The footage of the woman they have said could be a suspect or Hannah herself. They chose not to release that though. Any answers on why not?

not sure if it was a pattaya thing or nationwide - but all bars and nightclubs in pattaya were legally required to install cctv several years ago, why police claimed they were denied access to cctv in the head%%%% bar by Mon is another serious question that needs answered .... and the guy in the number 9 shirt looks seriously familiar as the head mans son

I understand the headmans relative has a CCTV shop a few doors away from the AC Bar.

Yet he has no cctv installed in his bar?

To have no footage from inside the AC Bar that night is plain wrong.

There were rumours of trouble and confrontation in the bar that night....where is the cctv to prove right or wrong....was it destroyed along with the No9 shirt and real murder weapon????

I have said I will stay out of the discussion till the trial opens again. I have changed my mind. I feel this part of the case has not been discussed enough.

The whole police prosecution case is based around the fact that Hannah and David were together as a couple. And indeed they state that David was attacked from behind whilst they were in a romantic embrace.

There is loads of evidence that they were not together and none (so far) to suggest they were. If they were in fact in a romantic embrace or making love as we are led to believe there would be DNA to prove this. The pathologist said there was no DNA from David on Hannah's body.

All of the photo's show them apart. I remember one photo where they are sat at a table but they are at opposite ends and opposite sides. It would stand to reason that if they were together there would be cctv of them together throughout the evening. In fact there is lots of cctv of them enjoying their evenings seperately. There is no cctv of Hannah late in the evening into am but there is plenty of David going back and forth.

Where was Hannah? Surely her friends would have either been with her or realized she was missing.

I believe her friends and David's friends will have been asked what happened throughout the evening after they flew home. The fact that these friends have so far made no statements perhaps leads us to believe they have been told to keep quiet till after the prosecution has finished.

Good post Minikev.

Since it was basically the foundation of the motive for the B2; that they were aroused by the actions of the lovemaking couple, how do they explain the lack of DNA traces between David and Hannah. This alone seems to discredit that theory. And as you say there was zero CCTV footage or pictures showing them together, yet poster after poster keeps mentioning them as a couple.

I think you are probably right about friends coming forward later. None of us are privy to what has been happening behind the scenes and the defence would be best served letting the prosecution slowly start stacking up their house of cards first before bringing out any aces. Fingers crossed.

Sadly as has also been noted, even if the defence do come out with a strong case, there is no telling whether that will affect the outcome. The integrity of the Judge/judges will be the last word, and between face saving and financial gain one never knows how this fickle system will act.

British tourist's last moments alive is shown on CCTV in Thailand

why hasn't number 9 been identified ? Or was identified early on in the investigation.

where is the rest of the cctv footage maybe he is one of the first suspects.

Maybe this is related

Police promised cash reward to buy false testimony: taxi driver
Speaking later to reporters, Prasit said: "I don't want to take any action against the policemen, but want to demonstrate my innocence and I will cooperate with other requests in the future. Just don't force me to acknowledge [something] I never knew [about]," he said.
Prasit admitted to celebrating with a football team after a match at an unnamed pub on the night of the murders, but said he knew nothing about the team members' activities or police suspicions about them.
He said some policemen approached him at 1.30pm on Monday trying to convince him to cooperate and let him go five hours later.
British Witness
A British witness had taken a photo of two men pestering the female victim not long before she was raped and murdered. He went to her assistance. One of the two troublemakers identified by the British witness and appearing in the photo is the bar manager. He is the bar owner's brother or nephew.
The press reported that he refused to take a DNA test after the murders. And the British witness sought protection from the British Embassy in Bangkok after receiving death threats over the Internet.
Meanwhile, a male university student yesterday showed up at the Metropolitan Police Bureau together with his mother and a lawyer to claim his innocence. The unnamed junior said he had been distraught by coverage of certain media outlets implicating him as a suspect in the murder of the two Britons.
Lawyer Atthakorn On-art said the man had an alibi and pictorial evidence of the student, 22, being in Bangkok at the time of the murders before dawn on September 15. He said the student skipped important classes despite coming exams, because he was stressed out by the reports. The student said he wanted an apology from the media for twisting facts against him.
Chief reporter of The Daily Mirror Andy Lines said a contact had emailed from the island, expressing concern about the risk of investigators finding scapegoats, and hoped the Thai police would have DNA evidence to back up their case as soon as possible.

This report intrigues me. I remember the RTP Glee club saying on many occasions there was University evidence that he was there on the 15th though they never backed up those claims and here we have a report that he skipped important classes despite coming exams due to his stress. What stress? He was not named a suspect by anyone on the 15th Sept, infact nobody had even heard of his name before on the 15th?? So why did he not attend his classes?

By the way I place no credibility on those cctv's of his presence in Bangkok as its been proved many times how easy it is to change the date and time on the hard drive before then handing it over to investigators or the Thai media. Which then would allow plenty of time to reach Bangkok because with doctored time stamps on the cctv then its irrelevant what time he arrived.

In his pleas of innocence and the RTP DNA charade where he was supposedly tested there was no mention of when they claim he did actually leave Koh Tao, why not? Could have easily produced a flight ticket or passenger list or cctv from the airport. Not to mention that at the time of the show the UK police were in Bangkok but were not invited to take part in any way with the DNA testing or observation, reason given by the Chief, they trust us...........

Just to throw into the mix: When asked his views Sean MCMystery said words to the effect :

"Check which 3 people did not come to work at the *** bar the next day."

It was at this time there was much speculation about 2 bouncers at this bar, one referred to as 'shark tooth ring.'

Reports stated that they both left the island that day.

Very little has been said about them since.

Just a reminder.

Where are they now I wonder?

Just to throw into the mix: When asked his views Sean MCMystery said words to the effect :

"Check which 3 people did not come to work at the *** bar the next day."

It was at this time there was much speculation about 2 bouncers at this bar, one referred to as 'shark tooth ring.'

Reports stated that they both left the island that day.

Very little has been said about them since.

Just a reminder.

Where are they now I wonder?

Shark tooth man returned after the B2 were arrested, he's also got form, been accused of rape before by a HiSo Thai model, cant post that as its in Thai

I can't even remember what the final "official" alibi is of NS.

Did not his father also claim that the boy had not been home "in months", despite unsubstantiated rumours that he was on the island that night.

A picture from a friend of Hannahs on the night would be a great spanner in the works if it exists.

Thai'Chili, I also read a post in Thai of the attempted rape by that dude. Was it her relating her story to a certain FB page?

Did not his father also claim that the boy had not been home "in months", despite unsubstantiated rumours that he was on the island that night.

A picture from a friend of Hannahs on the night would be a great spanner in the works if it exists.

Thai'Chili, I also read a post in Thai of the attempted rape by that dude. Was it her relating her story to a certain FB page?

Yes its all very cloudy as to when the official line is that he left the Island. The reason I ask is that I also saw yesterday for the first time a post, again in Thai of one of the local DJ's who had tagged Nomsods name as being in the AC bar on the 12th Sept.

Yes it was relating to her allegations, I think you are referring to the same post I saw and I've taken a screenshot

Yes its all very cloudy as to when the official line is that he left the Island. The reason I ask is that I also saw yesterday for the first time a post, again in Thai of one of the local DJ's who had tagged Nomsods name as being in the AC bar on the 12th Sept.

Yes it was relating to her allegations, I think you are referring to the same post I saw and I've taken a screenshot

No shit, well there's a way for these idiots to undo themselves. I guess though it doesn't matter - as he isn't on trial. Is that post up on said FB page?

Well said, but we need to stop reading and replying to John Thailand John's post. The guy is clearly an obtuse troll.

I always skip straight past his nonsense posts.

exactly. that's why i block him. i feel there is more to him than being a troll however, and it's not pretty.

No shit, well there's a way for these idiots to undo themselves. I guess though it doesn't matter - as he isn't on trial. Is that post up on said FB page?

No but if you send me a PM I can tell you where it is

Archived