Fish and Chips (British Style)?

burnalot

Sorry didn't read the whole thread & know nothing about proper British food but...

When I was younger back home there was a place call Mr Fish & Chips I think?

Anyway it was a beer battered fish looked like this pic ( just a pic I saw online)

Served with malt vinegar & tartar sauce it was great

Fish was white not fishy tasting ( ie: no black streaks in meat that taste real fishy)

Batter was not oil soaked but light & crisp

If anyone is selling something similar in Cm I would definitely try it.

post-82547-0-47505400-1436441389_thumb.j

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that the F&C at Gecko Garden is battered, because I don't like the stuff with breadcrumbs. That mean that Davis 2 supplied only costs about 100 baht. To me it is as good as elsewhere in CM, but less expensive.

Unless Rudi has a deluxe version that you are served it is crumbed. Close examination of Dave 2s pic will reveal the dreaded crumbing. Maybe his 3 large bottle special as an entrée turns it into batter.

I'm pretty sure that the F&C at Gecko Garden is battered, because I don't like the stuff with breadcrumbs. That mean that Davis 2 supplied only costs about 100 baht. To me it is as good as elsewhere in CM, but less expensive.

I always had you down as a bit of a food aficionado UG but if you don't know the what battered fish looks like that opinion could change biggrin.png

imho once you have been to kellys for English fish chips and mushy peas,you would soon be telling every one,its a real experience not to be missed.and another treat for afters, xmas pudding and custard taste buds working overtime after that visit

re

the un irish does fish and chips thats almost an exact copy of your pic and its good smile.png

dave2

thumbsup.gif Thank You dave will give it a try ....Funny been here near 4 years & never ate there. I do know where it is though

as I have used that glasses/optical shop nearby

Thanks wink.png

We never eat F&C with tarta sauce, thats for scampi etc.....

Truth is neither do I but I did like that Malt Vinegar

To an Englishman the smell of malt vinegar is the smell of Fish and Chips. No malt vinegar, and it aint fish n chips.

There maybe restaurants that try to claim their fish and chips are traditional English style, but no, there are no real authentic fish and chips meals cooked in the commercially designed deep fat fryers (as pictured below) served in Chiang Mai and probably not in the whole of Thailand. (Not as far as I know, anyway?).

Somethings I have mentioned many times in the past here on Thai visa, 2 great opportunities for the enterprising business entrepreneur. Be the first to open a real traditional chip shop or creating real proper made New York bagels to sell in Thailand. It would be a first in Thailand and in my opinion an absolute certainty and a sell out.

I don't think there would be enough trade to run a proper fish and chip shop here,

also finding some decent fish to fry would be difficult.and at this time of year potatoes

are also in short supply and expensive.

regards worgeordie

There are certain times when spuds for making proper chips are not available but I'm still finding them and paying 22b a kilo, a bit up, but not too much.

Once had a rather nasty argument way back when I worked in Mid East on how Chips where cooked in UK Fish & Chip Shops in my younger days.

I stated that Chips where cut from Potatoes by a rather strange Guillotine which I have only ever seen in my youth in UK.

A 'Square' box with say 3/8 inch Sharpe sided squares inside. Pulled down on a 'Vertical' spud it gave a small pile of chips.

No argument there .

Then I said chips where soaked in water to remove as much starch as possible before cooking, bit of murmuring.

My next statement cause ructions, chips where cooked in a moderately hot deep fryer, removed and then recooked at high Temperature and served.

Two guys exploded and told me I was talking rubbish.

One frying only as two was not cost effective, both had bought and owned F & C Shops with their gratuity on leaving

HM Forces.

I held my ground and matters became threatening.

Back to work time came so I left first saying as I reached the door, You Mean I am arguing with two Failed Chip Chop Owners.

I came close on that day and subject became Taboo as anyone indulging in Fistycuffs for whatever reason was sacked on spot.

john

Malt Vinegar Yes a Must.

The White muck a Suffern fing.

Once had a rather nasty argument way back when I worked in Mid East on how Chips where cooked in UK Fish & Chip Shops in my younger days.

I stated that Chips where cut from Potatoes by a rather strange Guillotine which I have only ever seen in my youth in UK.

A 'Square' box with say 3/8 inch Sharpe sided squares inside. Pulled down on a 'Vertical' spud it gave a small pile of chips.

No argument there .

Then I said chips where soaked in water to remove as much starch as possible before cooking, bit of murmuring.

My next statement cause ructions, chips where cooked in a moderately hot deep fryer, removed and then recooked at high Temperature and served.

One frying only as two was not cost effective, both had bought and owned F & C Shops with their gratuity on leaving

HM Forces.

Back to work time came so I left first saying as I reached the door, You Mean I am arguing with two Failed Chip Chop Owners.

I came close on that day and subject became Taboo as anyone indulging in Fistycuffs for whatever reason was sacked on spot.

john

Malt Vinegar Yes a Must.

i never eat chips unless they are cooked at least twice. i will cook them on a low heat first,then drain and put them in the fridge overnight.then on high.

you will know they will crisp up when they start singing.

who loves potato fritters,half boiled,cool,sliced then dipped in batter,cooked on high heat, sea salt and malt vinegar.

As this post has attracted the fish and chips aficionados I feel this is the time to get some answers. Now, pardon my ignorance. smile.png

While talking to a guy in my moo ban about fish and chips he identified two nearby restaurants. One as being "British style" and the other being "Aussie style". I failed to get a clarification at the time so now I bring the question here. What specifically makes British style fish and chips? What is the difference between British style and Aussie Style?

This may not answer the difference between those two restaurants but there is a big difference between a UK chip shop and an Australian one. In the UK its more basic, less choice, fish may be cod but theres no choice, its a battered fish and chips, salt and vinegar, wrapped in paper. An Australian fish and chip shop is a lot more sophisticated. Lots of types of fish and seafood on a big platter. You order what fish you want, they make it for you.

Not quite accurate a decent fish and chip shop in the uk will offer a choise of diferent fish basics are cod plaice haddock and rock salmon in diferent sizes with a choise of chip sizes. Fish can be cooked to order or there are generally some ready.

rijit

you forgot about the daddy of them all rijit,when one could afford it,a nice CUTLET OF HAKE.

As this post has attracted the fish and chips aficionados I feel this is the time to get some answers. Now, pardon my ignorance. smile.png

While talking to a guy in my moo ban about fish and chips he identified two nearby restaurants. One as being "British style" and the other being "Aussie style". I failed to get a clarification at the time so now I bring the question here. What specifically makes British style fish and chips? What is the difference between British style and Aussie Style?

This may not answer the difference between those two restaurants but there is a big difference between a UK chip shop and an Australian one. In the UK its more basic, less choice, fish may be cod but theres no choice, its a battered fish and chips, salt and vinegar, wrapped in paper. An Australian fish and chip shop is a lot more sophisticated. Lots of types of fish and seafood on a big platter. You order what fish you want, they make it for you.

Not quite accurate a decent fish and chip shop in the uk will offer a choise of diferent fish basics are cod plaice haddock and rock salmon in diferent sizes with a choise of chip sizes. Fish can be cooked to order or there are generally some ready.

rijit

you forgot about the daddy of them all rijit,when one could afford it,a nice CUTLET OF HAKE.

Makro has 1 Kg packs of Hake,its a nice white flesh fish,its from Chile,

a by catch of the tooth fish fishing i suspect, Thb 365 Kg.

regards Worgeordie

rijit

And if you were really lucky skate !!

My mum when i was really young and we'd just moved to devon, and b4 she went bac to full time work she got a job working in the best fish and

chip shop shop in town. Run by a

guy who came from the same italian village as joe forte !! any way

Luved those nights waiting for her to finish and bring some home. funny but I met simon and garfunkel through that. but thats another story.

rijit

Edited by rijit

re

the un irish does fish and chips thats almost an exact copy of your pic and its good smile.png

dave2

Battered! The UN Irish wins. My case rests.

Crumbed = crummy. Well, in this case it does.

Depends where you are: in W.A., there was always a huge selection of fish and also flake. But when I was in N.QLD, you had Hobson's Choice - just one type of fish only. I think it was Couta but not sure. Townsville shops almost always had Barramundi plus a few other choices.

Without a doubt, pay night in T'ville was "Fisherman's Basket". Couple of pieces of fish, battered prawns, scallops, fish fingers, chips, and a choice of beers or TAS cider! Order one serve at the pub as a counter lunch, and it took two to finish it off.

When I lived up there it spoilt me for fish. There was a vast range of fish you caught yourself, bought off the boat or at the co-ops. My favourite being coral trout. Mangrove jack was also pretty nice eating. And it was fresh, beautifully fresh.

I had to Google "mushy peas", and I'm still unclear. It looks like guacamole, but I gather the taste is somewhat different. They are made from what Wikipedia calls marrowfat peas, are those what are called English peas in the American south?

It's pretty similar to a side of refried beans in American / Tex Mex cuisine. Just made from peas instead of beans.

Don't think it's crucial to have.

In South Australia they have an extraordinary concoction known as a pie floater. It is a meat pie floating in pea soup to which you can add mint sauce, tomato sauce and, if your taste buds are not already mangled, malt vinegar.

I had to Google "mushy peas", and I'm still unclear. It looks like guacamole, but I gather the taste is somewhat different. They are made from what Wikipedia calls marrowfat peas, are those what are called English peas in the American south?

It's pretty similar to a side of refried beans in American / Tex Mex cuisine. Just made from peas instead of beans.

Don't think it's crucial to have.

In South Australia they have an extraordinary concoction known as a pie floater. It is a meat pie floating in pea soup to which you can add mint sauce, tomato sauce and, if your taste buds are not already mangled, malt vinegar.

Mmmmmm.....minty, sour, tomato. My favorite. post-4641-1156694606.gif

I had a friend who owned a Chippy in Bury, Greater Manchester in the late 90's. He used Coley for his Fish. The flesh wasn't as white as Cod, but the taste was outstanding. People would queue up 30 minutes before he opened to buy it and some travelled from 10 miles away. It was relatively inexpensive, which meant he could give good size portions.

I don't know if it's available in Chiang Mai, but having read this thread i'm going to start looking. I could never source it in the USA when I lived there and never found decent Fish & Chips either.

When friends came to visit they used to bring me dried Marrowfat peas, so I could make mushy peas. Delicious.

No argument there .

HM Forces.

john

Malt Vinegar Yes a Must.

You're totally correct in the correct way to prepare chips for frying.

If they aren't given an initial frying, you'd be waiting in the shop all day.

I had one of those cubed potato chip cutters. Worked a treat.

I always had you down as a bit of a food aficionado UG but if you don't know the what battered fish looks like that opinion could change biggrin.png

I am more concerned with taste and texture than looks. so I was not sure about the photo. I don't notice bread crumbs in their recipe, so I'm guessing just a light sprinkling in batter as opposed to the heavily crumbed ones my mother made (that I was not fond of). The F&C at Gecko Garden is their best selling dish by far, so they must be doing something right. It is often very difficult to get a seat on Friday nights when they are on special, but I might check them out tonight after I close.

Edited by Ulysses G.

As this post has attracted the fish and chips aficionados I feel this is the time to get some answers. Now, pardon my ignorance. :)

When did you last have fish and chips in the UK? It's years since I've had it served in paper - nowadays it's in polystyrene boxes. As for choice, there's usually cod, haddock, plaice and hake plus sausages in or out of batter, fishcakes, chicken ...... to name just a few.

There maybe restaurants that try to claim their fish and chips are traditional English style, but no, there are no real authentic fish and chips meals cooked in the commercially designed deep fat fryers (as pictured below) served in Chiang Mai and probably not in the whole of Thailand. (Not as far as I know, anyway?).

Somethings I have mentioned many times in the past here on Thai visa, 2 great opportunities for the enterprising business entrepreneur. Be the first to open a real traditional chip shop or creating real proper made New York bagels to sell in Thailand. It would be a first in Thailand and in my opinion an absolute certainty and a sell out.

I don't think there would be enough trade to run a proper fish and chip shop here,

also finding some decent fish to fry would be difficult.and at this time of year potatoes

regards worgeordie

I so disagree.

I am half English and half American, have been described as a complete Yanker. So I love both of these foods.

There are reasonable substitute fish for the traditional cod, haddock and so on. Even fish and chip shops in the UK have begun using alternative fish.

I believe there are enough British and American ex-pats plus the tourists in Chiang Mai that would make the trade viable. What it requires is younger, enthusiastic and energetic people with the funding to set it up, the expertise and knowledge to prepare the food and having some experience in these fields.

Even considering that the products may have to be sold at higher prices than the meals served at regular farangy and Thai style restaurants, from experience I know that if someone has a product that everybody wants, people are prepared to pay more for it.

Unfortunately I am not too young, don`t have the funding or the expertise to set something like this up, but for those who do, those who dares wins.

regards worgeordie

I so disagree.

I am half English and half American, have been described as a complete Yanker. So I love both of these foods.

There are reasonable substitute fish for the traditional cod, haddock and so on. Even fish and chip shops in the UK have begun using alternative fish.

I believe there are enough British and American ex-pats plus the tourists in Chiang Mai that would make the trade viable. What it requires is younger, enthusiastic and energetic people with the funding to set it up, the expertise and knowledge to prepare the food and having some experience in these fields.

Even considering that the products may have to be sold at higher prices than the meals served at regular farangy and Thai style restaurants, from experience I know that if someone has a product that everybody wants, people are prepared to pay more for it.

Unfortunately I am not too young, don`t have the funding or the expertise to set something like this up, but for those who do, those who dares wins.

So basically you think it might possibly be a good idea but haven't got the guts to try it yourself. By the way I agree with worgeordie, no where near enough custom to make it viable.

"It's years since I've had it served in paper - nowadays it's in polystyrene boxes"

As a Pup F&C was served in Yesterdays newspaper, bare until I think Mr Khrushchev visited UK, mid 50's.

On a night out he requested some Working Class food and was served F&C in the normal Paper bag, print ink and all.

He made exclamations in Russian and shortly after, first Chips in a grease proof bag with Fish on top appeared, then meals where served with all on a large piece of grease proof paper still encased in old newspaper.

Yes now Poly Boxes.

Can't understand why. Never harmed little old me.

john

"complete Yanker"

OOPs spelling, you must have US version of spell check loaded.