Weird Bug - Dangerous?

I first met one of these in a bar in Hua-Hin. Closing time ans when the door steel shutters were bought down one fully grown centipede appeared , about 6 screaming bar girls followed. I thought I had left my flies undone , but no, a centipede , like bee stings if you are allergic they can even kill. Dispatch right away.

I was weeding when one popped up, about 10" long and ran straight towards my back foot.

I just managed to trap it under the edge of the spade, but jeez, you should have seen it attacking and biting the edge of that spade.

Ferocious !

Chickens love them also, and by experience I can say the bite really hurts! A bee sting is nothing compared to this. They carry the poison also on their feet, so even if they walk on you it can hurt.

I had once one in our bed. After it bite me, and after switching on the lights it was under my pillow, it escaped under the mattress, So after removing removing the mattress (very careful because we had no idea where it exactly was) we brought it to centipede heaven.....

The other experience was while cutting grass, finally I went to hospital to get rid off the pain.... They injected something.

I can give also nasty infections.

I'm getting a bit worried now Arjen,

"I can give also nasty infections"

Maybe a shot of penicillin?

Crossy, maybe this needs to be moved to the STD Forum?

Edited by Vogele123

I have seen these on the farm where i lived before, the big one's can kill a pig as i have seen it myself. Clean clean clean and keep it clean( your house), they get attracted by other crawling bugs in humid dark places. Try to find it online, pretty cool how they eat a mouse or rat. As we all know, if you live in thai, you need to know thai bugs to man, specially snakes, i won the first price up to 3 times, 2 viper bites and a cobra. Intensive care 2 times for that shi@. I moved to bangkok to get rid of it, now im surrounded by a even more deadly species,... Called " humans" .

OP

While there are probably many species that should be taken seriously as a threat to ones welfare in the natural world..... this little bugger pictured and his big brothers and sisters are not really as threatening to human existence as some would suggest. Yes, it will hurt and maybe even hurt for a day or two if, ( a capital IF) it bites you and/or your loved ones, rest assured, there is minimal risk of fatality. There are more qualified treats in our day to day lives than some (still cute) baby centipede.

Try picking one of these up in the palm of your hand,,, it will no doubt get away from you as fast as it can,

Maybe you are new here?

These are very common here.

These are dangerous.

These can get pretty large too!

These are centipedes.attachicon.gifdownload (3).jpg

Yep. New here. Going into month #2. A lot of this world is new to me.

Try picking one of these up in the palm of your hand,,, it will no doubt get away from you as fast as it can,

Nope. Nope, nope, nope. I kill on sight :)

nope.gif

I had an infestation of these things a couple of years back. 10 to 20 of them every morning roaming the kitchen. Took a while to find the nest but eventually tracked them down to a nest between a badly fitting under-sink door frame and the concrete. Dozens of them.

Easy to kill with just normal bug spray but definitely kill them if you find them. As others have said they give a nasty bite.

An early experience years ago with a full grown one about 6 inches long showed that when you gently stood on the body the rear end flicked up with sharp prongs (for want of a better word) into the boot while the front end proceeded to bite and bite and bite. The army issue size 10 boot took care of it but I remember it well and babies or not steer well clear.

Maybe you are new here?

These are very common here.

These are dangerous.

These can get pretty large too!

These are centipedes.attachicon.gifdownload (3).jpg

Yep. New here. Going into month #2. A lot of this world is new to me.

Nope. Nope, nope, nope. I kill on sight smile.png

nope.gif

C'mon live a little. There are many more nastier than than these creatures living in Thailand.wai2.gif

That's a centapede and it is very dangerouse. Even a small one has very strong poison

the Thais would run like hell if they seen that. Make your hand swell up like a football

and if your allergic it can sure kill you. Any poisinouse bugs or snakes are britely colored such as this one. And this one has lots and lots of baby's

fog your house

That's a centapede and it is very dangerouse. Even a small one has very strong poison

the Thais would run like hell if they seen that. Make your hand swell up like a football

and if your allergic it can sure kill you. Any poisinouse bugs or snakes are britely colored such as this one. And this one has lots and lots of baby's

fog your house

So far kill count remains at 12. I think they've found somewhere to hide. Honestly, so long as they don't get ballsy and leave their hiding places I'll be happy.

Kept an eye open today, but haven't seen any more. I'm thinking (read: hoping) the nest may actually be outside and these are just the few that wandered in after hatching.

If in doubt kill it! and remember even non poisonous insects can do a lot of damage be it through an allergic reaction or if its mouth is dirty.

I got a mossie bite in 2010 one of the big dengue fever ones. no fever but a reaction that made my hand go to twice its normal size hurt like hell and involved a 7 day hospital stay that almost involved an operation on my hand. ( I would not let them). It cost £2000 as well.

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/story/2014-09-29/seaham-woman-loses-finger-after-spider-bite/

See them when cleaning up our orchard. Biggest so far 7 inches and moved surprisingly fast. Thais kill them all.Nearly stood on a big one one night in bare feet when I went to use the toilet without putting the lights on. Very lucky escape.

t

Jason, out of curiosity, do you live in the city or somewhere out in the woods?

Please please please don't say in the city...because I have been feeling pretty safe within the city ( with exception of the motorcyclists and cars :).

Guys, yes the centipede can give you a very painful sting. But do know the only way they can administer it is by puncturing your skin with their fore calipers. The 2 sting like hooks at their rear end are merely to fool you:)

If you actually see one try to tap anywhere along the body and the rear will whip you, it doesn't hurt at all. Just shocked you enough to release it.

Here's how to do it:

1. Simply press the head firmly (it will whip you a few times, though). Then you can lead it into a bottle and release it outside your house.

If you wish to keep it as a pet, same method but once he's pinned by the head, cut the tip of those calipers (pincers). Just the sharp ends and it's no longer poisonous.

They gave you the kind of gripping feeling when walking up and down your arm.

Wierd but I used to keep many of them as pets and also to hunt the household lizards.

If you are unlucky enough to be stung, press to expel any liquid from the puncture then wash it with some vinegar.

Cheers

Edited by WhoWhenWhyWhat

Chickens love them also, and by experience I can say the bite really hurts! A bee sting is nothing compared to this. They carry the poison also on their feet, so even if they walk on you it can hurt.

I had once one in our bed. After it bite me, and after switching on the lights it was under my pillow, it escaped under the mattress, So after removing removing the mattress (very careful because we had no idea where it exactly was) we brought it to centipede heaven.....

The other experience was while cutting grass, finally I went to hospital to get rid off the pain.... They injected something.

I can give also nasty infections.

having one in your bed,nasty infections,the bite really hurt you wasnt in pattaya by any chance.wai.gif

anyone who lives in korat will know the open air all you can eat buffet place called T-BONE.left after makro.

its a large place with wooden tables and benches and gets full all the time.

i was in there when someone shouted TACKARB you never seen so many move so quick up on the tables and benches and nobody got down untill its last rights were administered.that was 3yrs.ago the wife has not been back.

The choice is between cockroaches (which are disease carriers that infest our food, toothbrushes, eating utensils and other personal areas) and centipedes (which mostly stay to themselves outside or perhaps in dank basements, and kill the cockroaches), I'd have to say I'd rather live with the centipedes even though I have an innate revulsion to them to the point where I might jump up on a chair and shriek like a little girl. It's like our irrational fear of spiders (which are also beneficial and mostly keep to themselves). I don't think you're in danger of being bitten unless you do something stupid like sleep on the floor, walk around outside in bare feet or put your foot into your shoe without checking to see if something is asleep in there.

Keep in mind the reason you'e got these guys is because there's something for them to eat. Kill them and watch whatever they were preying on suddenly have a population explosion.

You've been warned.

Guys, yes the centipede can give you a very painful sting. But do know the only way they can administer it is by puncturing your skin with their fore calipers. The 2 sting like hooks at their rear end are merely to fool you:)

If you actually see one try to tap anywhere along the body and the rear will whip you, it doesn't hurt at all. Just shocked you enough to release it.

Here's how to do it:

1. Simply press the head firmly (it will whip you a few times, though). Then you can lead it into a bottle and release it outside your house.

If you wish to keep it as a pet, same method but once he's pinned by the head, cut the tip of those calipers (pincers). Just the sharp ends and it's no longer poisonous.

They gave you the kind of gripping feeling when walking up and down your arm.

Wierd but I used to keep many of them as pets and also to hunt the household lizards.

If you are unlucky enough to be stung, press to expel any liquid from the puncture then wash it with some vinegar.

Cheers

A pet centipede , sorry I think I will stick with my non - venomous cat.

Please please please don't say in the city...because I have been feeling pretty safe within the city ( with exception of the motorcyclists and cars smile.png.

I'm in Surin Beach, on Phuket.

Kill count is at 15.

• 3 weeks later...

Please please please don't say in the city...because I have been feeling pretty safe within the city ( with exception of the motorcyclists and cars smile.png.

I'm in Surin Beach, on Phuket.

Kill count is at 15.

Jason,

Found 2, while uprooting some plants in my garden. The bigger 7" fire red one got away but I managed to pinned this 4" one down.

Soon to be my house lizard hunter after 3 days training...lol.

Will update with photos of their prowess and usefulness to rid your home of lizards.

Cheerios

post-239387-14378353719708_thumb.jpg

post-239387-14378354903777_thumb.jpg