Red Plates for Cars to be phased out, plus all the national news from Fabulous 103FM

webfact

Wow.... all that effort to make a thread about this and telling us to click a link which only contains

"Red plates on new cars, often retained as status symbols as opposed to being replaced with standard ones, are expected to be recalled later this year"

what a pathetic waste of time.

Edited by Don Mega

Whatever the color, temporary plates must remain. The alternative is simply to have no plates for 30-90 days.

So you may ask, why can't real plates be issued immediately ? The reason is shocking. The car dealer gets credit on the cars they sell, but they do not get the documents till they pay for the car. After you pay for you brand new car it can still be up to 90 days before the dealer has to pay for the car, only then will they get the required documents to register the car.. that is why red plates exist.

Technically, you don't really own the car till the dealer has paid the manufacturer/distributor, because the car dealer didn't own it and hence cannot legally transfer ownership to you....

Edited by technologybytes

Whatever the color, temporary plates must remain. The alternative is simply to have no plates for 30-90 days.

So you may ask, why can't real plates be issued immediately ? The reason is shocking. The car dealer gets credit on the cars they sell, but they do not get the documents till they pay for the car. After you pay for you brand new car it can still be up to 90 days before the dealer has to pay for the car, only then will they get the required documents to register the car.. that is why red plates exist.

Technically, you don't really own the car till the dealer has paid the manufacturer/distributor, because the car dealer didn't own it and hence cannot legally transfer ownership to you....

Actually a bit shocking !!

"Technologybytes" is correct regarding that until the dealer pays for the vehicle sold to you, you cannot swap the red plates for the standard plates.

I was advised in January when I bought a Honda HRV from Udon Thani Honda and wanted Bueng Kan standard plates as soon as it was practical.

The Honda manager advise that we would need to wait about 3-4 weeks till they paid for our car and when they did they would send us a receipt to take to the Bueng Kan DLT.

All went well as advised.

Also, two and half years back, when the first car deal was on (wonder how many foreigners took advantage of that scheme?), I too had no red plate for 3 weeks as the Isuzu dealer was selling so many vehicles there were no more red plate at the local DLT.

A bloody nuisance as had to drive the new Dmax to Bangers via Korat when it was one week old and I was stopped 4 times because of no plates.

a source 'who is familiar with the matter' tells me they are changing them to yellow

I thought yellow plates were used on taxis, limos, etc.

pun intended....!?!....wink.png

Well, I thought that might be the case and was going to ask if the guy was kidding, but since there was no indication (winking happy face, etc.) I had to assume it's just more of the bad info that abounds here LOL Fortunately, this is also a place to get some very good info, especially from fine folks like Ubonjoe.

Edited by Inn Between

The law requires that every journey in a red-plated vehicle is recorded in the brown cover Tabien Roht so a new book is required periodically to replace the full one on vehicles retaining the red plates for months.......of course, you knew that....

The law requires that every journey in a red-plated vehicle is recorded in the brown cover Tabien Roht so a new book is required periodically to replace the full one on vehicles retaining the red plates for months.......of course, you knew that....

When bought wife's HRV we went on a 3 week road trip and my wife filled in every day the Red Plate Log Book (mentioned above) and at one checkpoint the police officer scratched his head when he looked in the book at all the entries.

He stated that he had never seen someone fill in every drive for every day that they used the Red Plated car and most people he stopped only filled in the day they were stopped!

He then asked WHY we did it.