Phuket offers two entrants in Miss Universe Thailand pageant

webfact

Phuket offers two entrants in Miss Universe Thailand pageant

1436413024_1-org.jpg
Chavika “Yim” Watrsang, 19, and Ananya “Anna” Nilsson, 21 are both entrants in this year’s Miss Universe Thailand beauty pageant.

PHUKET: -- Phuket has not one, but two entrants in this year’s Miss Universe Thailand beauty pageant: Chavika “Yim” Watrsang, 19, and Ananya “Anna” Nilsson, 21.

Yim, who will be sporting entrant number 2, was born in Phuket and graduated from high school on the island. She is currently waiting to hear if her application to attend Assumption University in Bangkok has been approved.

“I decided to enter the competition because it’s my mother’s dream – and it’s my dream too,” she told The Phuket News.

“I hope to represent Thailand in the next competition, Miss Universe, and to use my position to help develop the country as Miss Universe Thailand.

“My family and people around me always support me, so I will do my best and will not disappoint them.”

Yim’s mother, Mrs Nongnapat, said that Yim loved watching Miss Universe Thailand pageants when she was young.

“It wasn’t only the beauty of the entrants that caught her attention, but also the speaking and modeling skills,” she told The Phuket News.

“It’s my dream to see her on stage for Miss Universe Thailand, but Yim isn’t doing this for me, she’s doing it because it’s what she wants to do.”

Mrs Nongnapat doesn’t want Yim to feel the pressure of such a high-profile, competition.

“I don’t have high expectations of her winning the crown. I just want her to try her best and enjoy the competition,” she said.

Yim’s brother, Narongsak, said that he will always be her adviser in her time of need, and will always support her.

“This is something she really wants to do and it’s our mom’s dream, but I just hope she does her best,” he said.

Meanwhile, Anna will be wearing number 34 in the pageant.

Born in Phuket to Thai and Swedish parents, at age 10 she moved to Sweden with her family, but in her heart Thailand has always remained her true home. And, it was at that young age that she first dreamed of becoming Miss Universe Thailand.

“My ultimate goal is to tackle Thailand’s social issues, and the best way to start is by encouraging the people to speak about them,” Anna said.

“My nation’s social issues are the same as many other countries, including alcoholism, varying types of physical abuse, illicit drug trade, and depression. Helping Thai people to discuss their issues will be the first and biggest step towards finding solutions.

“I would use my position as representative of Thailand to promote communication and raise awareness both domestically and abroad.”

Anna believes every person has a message to be learned.

“Every individual has a story to tell, the trick is to give the time and space to share it,” she said. “I’ve always had a strong interest in people and love hearing about their experiences directly from them, that is part of my inspiration to study psychology in the near future.

“Thailand continually grabs my attention and ignites my passion, especially Phuket. There is never a dull moment on the island, it has everything from unspoiled nature, to an endless choice of accommodation and activities; from age-old cultural traditions and festivals, to a thriving and modern social scene. It has its breathtaking beaches, crowded streets, quiet corners, local businesses, and so much more.

“Thailand is where I feel I can breathe. This is where my heart belongs, and where I wish to live for the rest of my life.”

Story by Yonlaphat Boonsusakul

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-offers-two-entrants-in-miss-universe-thailand-pageant-53129.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-07-09