Prayut tells Bangkok taxi drivers not to strike

webfact

Prayut tells Bangkok taxi drivers not to strike

7-9-2015-10-27-21-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday warned taxi drivers not to strike saying if they didn't listen he has no choice but to find other vehicles to put in services instead.

Warning by the unhappy premier came as the transport minister decided to put off his earlier plan to raise taxi fare by 5% more for the second time as he has promised with the taxi drivers.

The delay has angered some drivers’ associations with threat to strike.

Yesterday a chairman of a taxi driver network in Bangkok submitted a letter to the Transport Ministry, calling for the second-phase of taxi fare hike.

He said the fare hike is necessary for the living of taxi drivers, adding that cab drivers still have no plan to stop their service.

But the prime minister said during a daily press interview that “If they (the transport minister and his working committee) want to delay the fare increase, it has to be delayed. I have to listen to them. It is not the minister’s sole decision. The issue is being looked after by a panel. I do not want any problem. If taxi drivers stop their service, I will find other vehicles to replace them. Then see what will happen.”

The angry premier said the country is now facing problems and everyone is suffering.

He said, “this has become habitual. If I granted someone something, another group will demand the same and where I will get the money from. I only have rice at warehouses. If you want, come and take them.”

Meanwhile Transport Minister ACM Prajin Juntong also explained why he didn’t keep his pledge to allow taxi fare to increase this month.

“It should be clear now that it was an agreement, not a promise. The taxi fare increase will be allowed if passengers’ satisfaction rating surpasses the standard. But what it appeared was that satisfaction rate does not meet the standard. We are concerned that the issue could affect taxi operation costs or it could be politicized. Therefore, we will assess passengers’ satisfaction on taxi service quality again.”

ACM Prajin assured however that assessment will take only three months instead of an extended period of six months.

He said he expected to have the findings by October 31 and then he would decide whether to adjust the fare.

The ministry wants to approve the fare hike but taxis also need to raise their service standard, he said.

ACM Prajin said the passengers’ satisfaction rating measured through the Department of Land Transport’s ‘DLT Check In’ mobile application has dropped to less than 50 percent from 80 percent early this year when the application was launched.

The mobile application allows taxi passengers to rate service quality of taxi they use.

The transport minister said he has ordered deputy permanent secretary for Transport Pongchai Kasemthaweesak to complete a new assessment on taxi service quality within three months and to ensure its credibility and accountability.

Last year the Transport Ministry approved a two-phase fare hike for metered taxis to reflect actual costs.

The first-phase fare hike of 8 percent went into effect in December last year. The second-phase of 5 percent hike was due to happen May.

However, the fare has not been increased so far.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/prayut-tells-bangkok-taxi-drivers-not-to-strike

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-09

"...and where I will get the money from. I only have rice....."

O woe, woe! Still it could be worse, General, you could be Costas Tsipras.... Greece hasn't even got rice!

He said, “this has become habitual. If I granted someone something, another group will demand the same and where I will get the money from. I only have rice at warehouses. If you want, come and take them.”

It might be easier for me to sympathize with the PM if there was no talk of a B36 billion submarine purchase on the table.

I do wish he was a happier man like all the other Thais.

He is angry and shouty a lot isn't he? The sycophants see this as bullish leadership, the rest of us see it as an insecure little man very far out of his depth. Whereas Yingluck would cry this man gets emotional in his own aggressive way. Both clueless puppets.

typical, they agree to improve their service and vehicles to get the extra cash then totally ignore the promise they made and still expect the second rise. Maybe if they started to do what they promised they would get the extra money, unfortunately too many thai businesses(fishing fleet anyone) want it all but will not do what they are supposed to then threaten to stop providing their services if they dont get their way. Time for licence cancellations etc for the ones that are not abiding by the original agreement.

typical, they agree to improve their service and vehicles to get the extra cash then totally ignore the promise they made and still expect the second rise. Maybe if they started to do what they promised they would get the extra money, unfortunately too many thai businesses(fishing fleet anyone) want it all but will not do what they are supposed to then threaten to stop providing their services if they dont get their way. Time for licence cancellations etc for the ones that are not abiding by the original agreement.

Stacking the deck against the working class as usual, in this case, the taxi drivers. Why is it that they alone are required to show an improvement in service before receiving their first fare increase in how many years? 7? 8? When the military gave out 100 billion baht in bonuses to the military after the coup there was no requirement for improved service.

And then how is the service quality of taxis evaluated? Through a phone app that appears to be a complaint line. Complaint lines can be fine to improve service, but not to evaluate it since the participation will be skewed toward customers who are not satisfied. Even if the app permits an expression of approval satisfied customers will have less incentive to participate than those who are not satisfied.

So, it's just doubletalk like there's no money for the 30 baht national healthcare scheme, but we should spend the 36 billion baht on submarines so that the next govt will not get their hands on it.

Department of Land Transport’s ‘DLT Check In’ mobile application has dropped to less than 50 percent from 80 percent early this year when the application was launched.

So by giving their taxi transport low ratings, riders can continue to enjoy extra low fares.

Wonder how many years it has been since Mr. Prayuth has taken a ride in a taxi?

He said, this has become habitual. If I granted someone something, another group will demand the same and where I will get the money from. I only have rice at warehouses. If you want, come and take them.

It might be easier for me to sympathize with the PM if there was no talk of a B36 billion submarine purchase on the table.

I completely agree. If he does not withdraw from the submarine purchase, the refrain 'How come you have the money for subs but not the money to help us' will be heard each and every time there is a dispute. It could well be his undoing...

I think it is fair. When taxi's improve their image, use meters, stop turning away passengers, stop dumping passengers on the road for refusing to pay a no meter charge .... then give them a rate hike.

It's time the taxi mafia bosses be put in their place (what do drivers have to pay them?) and there are plenty of decent people who could and would drive taxis to make a living in a legitimate taxi service..

Why does Thailand need submarines Are they in a state of war NO.

More High speed boats and Cutters are better and a lot less expensive Can you imagine a sub

trying to intercept a drug dealer NO or a boat with refugees NO

My take is it will not happen but lets see It is a white elephant

I have no problem with paying a slightly higher rate but I would like to see tighter regulations and penalties for taxi drivers that extort or rip off customers (and the complaint line in English). I would also like to see the police held responsible for letting these rip off taxi's clutter up the streets waiting to rip off customers.

They cause traffic jams and on Sukhumvit soi 11 for example make the road one lane at times by taking up all of the spots on both sides, even blocking them with pylons so no one else can park there . The only ones the benefit are the cops and the taxi's the rest of society suffers from it.

They cleaned it up about 70% for a while now it is back to being as bad as ever.

Need another one of them there crackdowns we hear so much about.

Are those other vehicles going to be buffalo?

No, tanks and APCs

Tanks only if you can modify them to LPG else they use to much gasoline tongue.png

Of course I would love to see on the airport instead of the taxis a mix of military vehicles. The one on the counter in parade uniform with the saber.

"Ohh laguage big big, Hummve no can, you go APC"

No problem. Plenty of vehicles...he can just mention the magic word Uber.

If he would be a real leader he would tell OK, allow uber AND seize the taxis that don't want to go and let military personal drive it they can keep the fee on top of their salary.

I think the strike would be finish before it begins.

Are those other vehicles going to be buffalo?

No, tanks and APCs

I can see the headlines now -- "Another motorcycle rider has been struck by a drunk tank driver. Details after another edition of "Thailand Moves Forward", and a rousing refrain of Auld Lang Syne."

He said, this has become habitual. If I granted someone something, another group will demand the same and where I will get the money from. I only have rice at warehouses. If you want, come and take them.

I completely agree. If he does not withdraw from the submarine purchase, the refrain 'How come you have the money for subs but not the money to help us' will be heard each and every time there is a dispute. It could well be his undoing...

He has given Thailand an excuse to protest. Brilliant.

Department of Land Transport’s ‘DLT Check In’ mobile application has dropped to less than 50 percent from 80 percent early this year when the application was launched.

So by giving their taxi transport low ratings, riders can continue to enjoy extra low fares.

Wonder how many years it has been since Mr. Prayuth has taken a ride in a taxi?

Dont know about prayuth but for me its well over 9 years since i took a ride in a taxi, admitted 4 years ago of an evening i did try to get a taxi home after a night out but could,nt find a driver who would agree to the meter being turned on...i chose to take the 2 hour walk home.

This happiness "Bovine Fertilizer" is not what I would like to see. To straighten out the corruption as well as the Taxi, Tuk Tuk ripe offs would be nice.

There are way too many taxis to start with and they do block up lanes on the streets, Soi 11 was cited earlier, Soi 3 is as bad.

I noticed after the last change/increase that included the adjustment for distance and traffic some of the taxis can not find their way or go extra distance. They think most expats/farangs do not know the difference. Well I have lived here over 11 years and as soon as one starts his round about routing I just get out a pay the meter and get another taxi.

The P.M. said "where I will get the money from. I only have rice at warehouses. ”

Is he planning to pay the taxi fare increases himself for us

I am not paying it as well, I try to avoid taxi as much as possible, even it makes me slower and cause me more money.

Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday warned taxi drivers not to strike saying if they didn't listen he has no choice but to find other vehicles to put in services instead.

Interesting idea - but if the drivers are on strike - who dear sir will drive these "other vehicles"?

The problem won't be the lack of taxis..its will be the lack of taxi drivers. Just a thought!!

Gazing into my crystal ball.....I foresee the taxi drivers going on strike and then 2, maybe 3 days later a general (whom no one has ever heard of) says he has information that someone (probably either a political or a foreign entity) is behind the strike, appeals to the taxi drivers not to be influenced by this third party and go back to work for the sake of the country and happiness and that the government is trying hard.

never had a huge amount of problems with thai taxis, some try it on but then it up to you resolve or flag down another cab, never had much trouble get a cab anywhere or at any time. Main issue is poor vehicle state as some are moving scrap & quality of drivers is very varying. Singapore taxis are far better with drivers all having gps & map system & ticketing receipt & always right change, drivers also very helpful & well above average in helpfulness, with thailands proposed price increases the price difference between thai & Singapore taxis will not be much but quality of service will remain huge.

What do they mean by a strike, hardly see the drivers stopping ripping of tourists.

do this mean that the few drivers who use their meters will not use their meters? gigglem.gif

If the RTP are too incompetent to sort out the Taxi Mafia get the Tax Revenue people on to them.