Land Transport Department mulls phasing out red car plates

webfact

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my new Nissan in September last year but told the dealer I didn't want my white plates until January, this way when I get the blue book for it, it is classed as a 2015 vehicle not the previous year. Good for when you want to sell it.

Have you actually checked the dates. I was under the impression that it went by the vehicle number!

The car dealers sell you the car and take your money, but they don't want to pay for the car until months or years later. They can use your money while you are waiting for the registration. They are mostly running behind financially and will use your money to pay for a car the sd to someone else 3 or 4 months ago so that they can get their registration. You will have to wait for someone else to by a car so that this money can be used to pay for your car. There is no other reaso, no matter what excuses you are given, that is the truth. The registration can be done snake day if you start early in the morning. The person that is screaming the loudest at the car dealer will be the next one you get his paperwork done. It is kind of like a Ponzi Scheme and in some cases it ends up like one as well.

Indeed, I just bought a new small Toyota at Toyota Vision, Rayong. After 2 months the dealer didn't even bring the documents to "Kongsoon" to register...just a few km from the dealership...I went there several times, most of the sales staff is just playing their phone or fall a sleep...I also asked for an English manual..."no have"...but "will send"...this now already for 10 weeks!

When I took the car, something was wrong with a rubber so the window didn't close properly...I had to go there 4 times ( 120 KM x 4) on my expense and on my time before they could replace it. Of course everything goes with "the amazing smile"...But I would not recommend it to anyone...wai2.gif

Must be incredibly difficult to manufacture white number plates hence the wait.After 15 years here nothing surprises me only that the country stays afloat and the (deleted) baht remains where it is.

I just renewed my DL and got 6 years,not 5, because it was 2 days overdue and it slipped into the next year. I did it on purpose after being given the tip.

If you take life seriously here it will do you head in.

Out in the provinces they don't even bother with red plates! Plateless cars drive past my local police station without a care in the world.

Just up the road from me there is one of those small roadside police posts.

It usually has a rather tatty police pick up truck parked outside.

Said police pick up truck hasn't had a number plate on the back for several months

Must be incredibly difficult to manufacture white number plates hence the wait.After 15 years here nothing surprises me only that the country stays afloat and the (deleted) baht remains where it is.

I just renewed my DL and got 6 years,not 5, because it was 2 days overdue and it slipped into the next year. I did it on purpose after being given the tip.

If you take life seriously here it will do you head in.

As mentioned many times in this thread alone. The wait for the plates has nothing to do with the Transport dept or their manufacturer.

You should read the thread before waffling nonsense.

Since it takes on average 2 Months (sometimes more) before the registration process is completed and Tax paid, does it ever occur to the Government that it is losing billions each year in lost revenue?

Well at last it seems that someone has finally realised!

Out in the provinces they don't even bother with red plates! Plateless cars drive past my local police station without a care in the world.

Provinces, I see them around town in Pattaya.

OMG, how will people know you just bought a brand new car?

How far behind this country is compared to the West. We have been buying car in the UK for many,many years fully registered on the day of delivery, what is the problem.Talk to the DVLA in the UK and they will show you how it is done, so bloody simple.This will probably come into force sometime in the next 10 years as they have to THINK about it. So sad, so simple

my wife kindly bought me a new motor bike last week and it seems like in Uttaradit they do not issue any red plates. She gave me a piece of paper to show the police if they stop me and I get my normal number plates maybe in a few weeks or month.

Seems to be different in the other cities of Thailand

Besides, he pointed out some of the red-plated cars were used in committing crimes, making it difficult for the police to trace the cars because they have not been registered and without proper car plate numbers

I find this hard to believe as these red plates are registered in the dealers name same as in South Africa the dealers have these Garage Plates to move their stock by road but not for issuing it for temp use on a car sold by them....

Over here in Thailand the dealership put a temp red plate on your new car until they paid the distributor / manufacturer for the car. Only then they receive the paperwork for the car to then register it in your name... Scary but true..

My wife reregistered to local area and got plates same day, why not pre issue numbers to large dealers.then book and tax could be given a few days later .

Standard practise in the UK, dealers have numbers allocated to them and it doesn't leave until registered and plated.

The car dealers sell you the car and take your money, but they don't want to pay for the car until months or years later. They can use your money while you are waiting for the registration. They are mostly running behind financially and will use your money to pay for a car the sd to someone else 3 or 4 months ago so that they can get their registration. You will have to wait for someone else to by a car so that this money can be used to pay for your car. There is no other reaso, no matter what excuses you are given, that is the truth. The registration can be done snake day if you start early in the morning. The person that is screaming the loudest at the car dealer will be the next one you get his paperwork done. It is kind of like a Ponzi Scheme and in some cases it ends up like one as well.

Bought my car in BKK and registered it locally in Isaan, like many other people. Didn't use a dodgy dealer!

• 4 months later...

My wife has been driving around in her new Isuzu pick-up for over a month now without any number plates at all! (Dealer had no red ones available) Surprisingly with the current security situation we were only stopped once and that was because we were at an Army check-point near the Cambodia border and the solder called a policeman over to check our paperwork.

Wife has telephoned the dealer many times to get some sort of plate to no avail. I thought the dealer might be delaying things deliberately to register vehicle in January to boost numbers with the increase in car tax due.

I read on ThaiVisa that dealers also delay obtaining a number plate so that can sit on the car tax. I put this through Google translate so she could read it in Thai. She went from ‘mae pen rai’ to volcano in seconds and called the dealer a total of 10 times (I counted) and said if the pick-up did not have a number at the end of the day she would leave it on the forecourt and demand her money back.

Dealer finally said he would have a white number plate in 2 hours; 2 hours later it was ready for collection!

Apparently the Land Transport Office can issue white number the same day as application so if you are buying a new vehicle I would insist that it is delivered with permanent plates.

OMG, how will people know you just bought a brand new car?

Well in the UK since 2001 we have been using a number plate system with a two digit number that denotes which year which changes every six months...

Also cars are pre registered, road tax is paid and have number plates before they leave the showroom.

post-20091-0-53670200-1449990138_thumb.p

Age identifiers

First col = Year to Year

Second Col First Issue Mar 1st to last day Aug
Third Col Second Issue Sep 1st to Last Day Feb the next year
2001/02 -- 51
2002/03 02 52
2003/04 03 53
2004/05 04 54
2005/06 05 55
2006/07 06 56
2007/08 07 57
2008/09 08 58
2009/10 09 59
2010/11 10 60
2011/12 11 61
2012/13 12 62
2013/14 13 63
2014/15 14 64
2015/16 15 65
2016/17 16 66
2017/18 17 67
2018/19 18 68
2019/20 19 69
2020/21 20 70
2021/22 21 71
2022/23 22 72
2023/24 23 73
2024/25 24 74
2025/26 25 75
2026/27 26 76
2027/28 27 77
2028/29 28 78
2029/30 29 79
2030/31 30 80
2031/32 31 81
2032/33 32 82
2033/34 33 83
2034/35 34 84
2035/36 35 85
2036/37 36 86
2037/38 37 87
2038/39 38 88
2039/40 39 89
2040/41 40 90
2041/42 41 91
2042/43 42 92
2043/44 43 93
2044/45 44 94
2045/46 45 95
2046/47 46 96
2047/48 47 97
2048/49 48 98
2049/50 49 99
2050/51 50 00

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_the_United_Kingdom,_Crown_dependencies_and_overseas_territories

Edited by Basil B

You can go yourself to DLT and get your plates same day.

But then you pay for it.

Dealer waits 45 days, a legal grace period I guess, saving a few satang on interest.

So it's basically the government's fault as to permit this.

Sell with plates, simple as that.

But many motorcycles go without plates even if 30 years old.

Nobody cares.