Mother of bank robber returns cash to Thai police

webfact

Mother of bank robber returns cash
Khanathit Srihirundaj,
Jessada Chantharak
The Nation

30264124-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- THE MOTHER of fugitive Sattra Suksom, who was allegedly involved in the June 19 money truck robbery in Bangkok, has returned Bt496,000 to police because she suspected it to be ill-gotten gains and directed the police to impound her son's brand-new car.

The car was parked inside Bangkok's Don Mueang Airport.

Sattra was implicated in the crime by three arrested alleged accomplices, who claimed he was one of the two armed motorcycle-riding thieves who stole more than Bt10 million, as the truck was delivering cash to a branch of Kasikornbank inside Tesco Lotus Rama I.

After Chalita Pattarawanon returned the money on Wednesday night, police seized Sattra's Honda Civic sedan early yesterday morning and searched Sattra's Bang Bua apartment.

Chalita told police that her son left her the money, which he claimed to have earned from gambling, on July 4, before he travelled overseas on July 6.

After learning from the media that her son was wanted for his alleged involvement in the robbery, Chalita said her son admitted to her that he was involved in the crime, so she told him to come to Thailand and surrender to police soon.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Lt-General Sriwara Rangsipramanakul said Sattra's June 29 car purchase for Bt900,000 cash was done under Chalita's name.

Sriwara urged anyone in possession of ill-gotten assets connected with the robbery to return them to police or face prosecution.

In related news, police and the Bank of Thailand have established a centre for fake banknote crime prevention and suppression at the police force's head office as part of proactive measures, said police spokesman Lt-General Prawut Thawornsiri.

He said that at a meeting of the new entity yesterday measures aimed at preventing robberies in various forms, including money-truck robberies were discussed.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Mother-of-bank-robber-returns-cash-30264124.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-07-10

Dear mother, your son will not be a happy man. But you will have plenty of good karma, though I doubt you will get much of a financial reward for handing back the cash. Thou 10% fee would be nice.

Suksom's decision to travel so soon after buying a new car indicates he knew that the game was up.

His friends must be less than pleased to have been shopped by his mummy.

These master criminals never cease to amaze. If he kept his mouth shut and didn't try to impress anyone with his new found wealth he would probably be sitting pretty.

I think very few mothers in the West would do this. There are lots of things about Thailand I don't like, but some Thai people, especially the older generation, do have very strong morals and this mother is obviously one of them.

Edited by oneday

I see a lot of the money delivery guys don't have guns for protection. That doesn't make sense!

you know what makes sense?

NOT arming them and tell them to hand over the money when they are at gunpoint rather then arm them and THEN tell them to hand over the money peacefully......

guns draw guns to be fired!!

I see a lot of the money delivery guys don't have guns for protection. That doesn't make sense!

I don't know, at least it reduces the risk of a running gunfight every time a money delivery truck pulls up outside a bank!

Suksom's decision to travel so soon after buying a new car indicates he knew that the game was up.

These master criminals never cease to amaze. If he kept his mouth shut and didn't try to impress anyone with his new found wealth he would probably be sitting pretty.

"Sattra was implicated in the crime by three arrested alleged accomplices, who claimed he was one of the two armed motorcycle-riding thieves......."

Mummy didn't shop them, they shopped her son. He could have cut his tongue out and he would still be going down.

Edited by halloween

"Sattra was implicated in the crime by three arrested alleged accomplices, who claimed he was one of the two armed motorcycle-riding thieves......."

Mummy didn't shop them, they shopped her son. He could have cut his tongue out and he would still be going down.

I stand corrected

The car dealership that accepted B900,000 in cash (assumption) might be worth a look too.

Back in 2001 I bought my Ford Ranger on finance and they wanted 400,000 baht as a deposit.

I went to the BKK Bank Central office on Silom road in Bangkok, drew the money out in cash then took a taxi to the Ford dealer on Sukhumvit 62 and paid the dealer in cash.

Nobody batted an eyelid.

Thai people prefer cash to a cashiers cheque which may take a few days to be cashed.

I think very few mothers in the West would do this. There are lots of things about Thailand I don't like, but some Thai people, especially the older generation, do have very strong morals and this mother is obviously one of them.

I would say : Only the older generation - the youth here are useless at best ...facepalm.gif

Yes I do agree, it's kind of crazy that they have no deterrent. On the other hand, how much is a life's worth. Just let them take the money, they will get caught soon. Getting in a shoot out is the last thing the security guard want to do. I think where the guns are most needed are for politicians who steal more than the cash carrying vans.wai.gif