Protesters against coal-fired power plant stage hunger strike

webfact

Protesters against coal-fired power plant stage hunger strike

10-7-2558-13-18-16-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: Opponents against the coal-fired power plant project in Krabi province staged a hunger strike in front of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports on Friday with a vow to carry on the protest until the project is scrapped.

Meanwhile, the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand announced that bidding documents for the 50 billion baht project would be available for interested parties as of July 22.

Mr Prasitchai Noonual, a representative of a network of civic groups against the power plant project who joined the hunger strike, said that it appeared that EGAT would press ahead with the project despite protests from the network and the other people.

He argued that there were other options to secure electricity to meet demand without the need to build the coal-fired plant which, he claimed, would pose a threat to the environment and spoil tourism business in Krabi province.

In a statement issued by the group, the hunger strikers said that they had tried all means to convince the Energy Ministry to change its mind on the project but without success, therefore, they decided to bet with their lives by staging the hunger protest.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/protesters-against-coal-fired-power-plant-stage-hunger-strike

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-07-10

It seems unlikely that EGAT would deliberately seek out an area of natural beauty and strong tourism to build a plant. Looking at a range of factors perhaps.

Smells like NIMBY to me.

I wonder if their timing is a little off?

Lets see if these 2 make it until the 22nd to actually view the plans?

I have heard from local people that the Plans set out by EGAT to build the plant have been vague, particularly where concerned with the safe and hygenic treatment and disposal of water for the cooling system, and the standard of the coal which i believe can undergo processes to make it less dirty in the smoke it burns off.

Sorry if this is not scientifically accurate for any pedants, I'm not a scientist. Just trying to translate what I was told.

I have heard from local people that the Plans set out by EGAT to build the plant have been vague, particularly where concerned with the safe and hygenic treatment and disposal of water for the cooling system, and the standard of the coal which i believe can undergo processes to make it less dirty in the smoke it burns off.

Sorry if this is not scientifically accurate for any pedants, I'm not a scientist. Just trying to translate what I was told.

Water for the cooling system passes through tubes in a heat exchanger (the main one is known as the condenser) and returned to the sea. It usually is dosed with a small amount of chlorine to inhibit shellfish/algae growth in the tubes. Anybody who has worked in a coastal power station will tell you the CW outlet is a favourite fishing spot for locals.

I don't know of the specs for this PS, but if "clean coal" technology is used there will be some form of filtration of exhaust gases. Last station I worked at had bag filters of very fine mesh, and constant monitoring of exhaust plume for any dust breakthrough.

Please do not believe the baseless vague threats to public safety put out by "green" activists.

A thai on a hunger strike, no way they can last 1/2 a day without gobbling down a couple snaks plus their mid day meal. I have seen them go ballistic if you pass withoout stopping, a vendor and the srn adverts food of any sort.. doubt there will be any wakes as a result of this area threat of a hunger strike

NSW has an ongoing problem with NIMBYs. Coastal PSs with sea water cooling are far cheaper to operate than inland, where river water quality is a major concern. Everyone wants to live on the coast, that's where the demand for energy is highest, but no-one wants to live near a PS, even after they have bought a house in the area of an operating station. Older stations are torn down and newer, cleaner stations are built on the same site, and still people protest.

And in a state with abundant supplies of anthracite coal, a billion dollar solar station has been built to supply around 20MW for 5 hours per day. Woop-de-doo.

It seems unlikely that EGAT would deliberately seek out an area of natural beauty and strong tourism to build a plant. Looking at a range of factors perhaps.

Smells like NIMBY to me.

I wonder if their timing is a little off?

Lets see if these 2 make it until the 22nd to actually view the plans?

EGAT plans to build the 800 MW power plant on the site of a retired oil-fired power plant that had around 300 MW capacity. The main issue EGAT and the local communities will have to deal with is the landing of the coal and its trans-shipment to the power plant site. There are significant environmental and logistical issues.