Minivan menace!

Badrabbit

Having a moan(sometimes you have too otherwise you will go mad, driving back from school on the Click, very busy road, overtaking not possible, following a line of cars because I will be turning right soon, up comes an <deleted> minivan driver inches from my rear bumper sounding his horn, he got impatient and came along side me with only a few Inches to spare, he couldn't go anywhere because of the traffic, so fed up with the driving here, where is this idiot going to go, is it just unintelligence or does he hate being behind a bike? he managed to go past driving like a complete idiot!!

It's only a matter of time before one of these idiots kill someone with there impatience!!

Edited by Badrabbit

OP: this is one of the reasons I won't ride a bike here... mindless morons who have no regard for the safety of anyone else... their 'me first' attitude often comes at all costs... these idiots don't even know they are doing anything wrong...

Its annoying, frustrating and when one of these idiots is behind you and you're on a bike, highly worrying...

Some will say 'well, thats life in Thailand'... but really, it doesn't need to be at all...

It really is about time that something was done... Television safety campaigns, more strict penalties... its time for the people with decision making powers to start caring about the terrible reputation Thailand has for road safety.

OP: this is one of the reasons I won't ride a bike here... mindless morons who have no regard for the safety of anyone else... their 'me first' attitude often comes at all costs... these idiots don't even know they are doing anything wrong...

Its annoying, frustrating and when one of these idiots is behind you and you're on a bike, highly worrying...

Some will say 'well, thats life in Thailand'... but really, it doesn't need to be at all...

It really is about time that something was done... Television safety campaigns, more strict penalties... its time for the people with decision making powers to start caring about the terrible reputation Thailand has for road safety.

You are right it is worrying and yes they have no idea how to drive with consideration, the main problem is that they have no fear of hurting anyone because of the lack of a police force and any enforcement of the law!

<snip> its time for the people with decision making powers to start caring about the terrible reputation Thailand has for road safety.

But if they actually did something, they won't have time to shine all of their medals. Ya know, the ones they so proudly wear. The ones they bought at the local Chinese junk shop.

Bottom line....they don't give a shit.

That's where I think dash cams and action cameras come into play. Have one on you at all times while driving and report bad drivers with evidence. Most of these are taxi or otherwise comercial transport vehicles and if enough reports come in, they'll fine the driver or company.

The cameras are becoming essential anyways because of insurance claims so why not make use of them for other purposes. Doesn't cost anything apart from a little time.

I have no idea what the statistics of deaths caused by minivan drivers are, I just posted a concern, these people are scary, it's not advisable to get involved as they are prepared to stop and if they have a weapon use it! I'm not prepared to do the same!

I have no idea what the statistics of deaths caused by minivan drivers are, I just posted a concern, these people are scary, it's not advisable to get involved as they are prepared to stop and if they have a weapon use it! I'm not prepared to do the same!

"it's not advisable to get involved as they are prepared to stop and if they have a weapon use it!" - that describes about 90% on Thai male drivers on Phuket.

Not to mention the ones that are drunk, or on meth.

Edited by NamKangMan

Yup, don't start a fight with them. Seen it myself first hand when aggressive tuktuk/van/taxi drivers try to attack someone. They have a very short fuse.

Hence the recording, they wont be able to attack you. Plus this way you can actually hit them where it hurts, the wallet :)

Where is the problem to get out of the way of these idiots and let them pass? As a motorbike driver you are the weakest in the chain, so act according to it. If you are riding a M-48 you can stand up against them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M48_Patton

That tank didn't win the Vietnam War - did it?

It didn't stand up too well against bicycles and Honda Super Cub 50cc's used by the North Vietnamese Army, back then.

What makes you think it can stand up to a minivan on Phuket, with a Thai driver? biggrin.png

We don't want a nanny state but it would be nice if the police actually did something, sitting at traffic lights yesterday, Bib standing next to the road, many people not wearing crash helmets, some people driving through the red light, bib couldn't give a &lt;deleted&gt;!

It's the same here on Samui.

The police need to start stopping and checking the vans, drivers and proper papers.

The military did it about 6 months ago, but now they are back to their same shit as before.

I don't know it must be the power of sitting up high and looking down , like a big bike between your legs "power"??

I think a check of the drivers and van papers would get 50% off the roads.

I drove big bikes from my 18 birthday ( Goldwings, HD etc ) and when i moved to Phuket i had also a HD.

But after a accident a long time ago decided that it is too dangerous to drive here.

You can drive safely yourself but there are to many nutcases on the roads.

From that time on i only drive a car here and now with a front and rear dashcam.

At least a car gives my some protection in case of a accident.

I'm very sad that i don't drive a big bike anymore (sometimes it really depresses me) but it is not worth the risk anymore.

The less paying tourists we have here on Phuket the more financial pressure these taxi, minivan and bus drivers get.

This growing financial pressure makes them driving more aggressive and their fuse is more short then 1 or 2 years ago.

Traffic on Phuket sucks big time nowadays and i can't see an improvement. No matter how many underpass they built it's getting dangerous more and more every year.

There was a survey a few years back asking what people thought were the worst vehicles on the roads here. (I can't recall if the survey was on Thaivisa or one of the local rags)

The minivans were voted as the worst/most dangerous in Phuket.

I've since changed my mind, I now consider the concrete trucks to be dangerous to the point of homicidal.

There was a survey a few years back asking what people thought were the worst vehicles on the roads here. (I can't recall if the survey was on Thaivisa or one of the local rags)

The minivans were voted as the worst/most dangerous in Phuket.

I've since changed my mind, I now consider the concrete trucks to be dangerous to the point of homicidal.

Phuket gazette. I remember being surprised at the endresult, IMO concrete trucks have been the biggest danger on the roads here for years already.