What's wonderful NOW in Bangkok for the adventurous value seeking eater?

Jingthing

Yeah, for Mexican, pretty much La Monita is the standard, but to be honest I haven't tried La Sobroso.

Funny aside, when I need a quick Mexican fix, and just need to buy something to take home and pop in the wave, the (I forgot the exact name, maybe El Chorito?) line of locally-made frozen burritos in beef, bean, pork, chicken are not too bad. You just buy some cheddar cheeze to melt on top, and they also have green salsa or red sauces, and tortilla chips for a makeshift mex meal. They sell these in all Villa markets, and in some Tops in Bangkok.

And Foodland, too - at least in Thonglor. The refried beans are the bees' knees.

Note to that food official who just said food is cheaper this year: all these burritos just went up about 15% in price.

Yup, just looked at the package, the brand name is El Charro. I've been buying these for years, and as you said, their refried beans are tastier than I've ever had in any Mexican restaurant in BKK. They also have enchiladas and some other stuff. Yeah, I noticed last week when I bought some at Villa, the price is up to 115 Baht/package of 4 burritos, but still a great value, considering that makes two meals, or not if hungrywink.png , but you do have to add decent cheese, and buy separate jar of their chile verde sauce. Their sauce is also a bit spartan, though tasty, and it's better to upgrade and buy more expensive salsa.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try the steakhouse in the Marriott in Sukhumvit 57 it's really top quality.

Also if you use the Eatigo app to book you can get up to a 50% discount if you don't mind eating early or late.

The Sofitel sukhumvit also offers discounts on Eatigo up to 50% on their excellent buffets once again if you don't mind eating in off peak hours.

Southern Thai....Chanhom in Ramkhamhaeng 21.

Also Phuket Town in Thonglor...although my khua kling had small bones in it so watch for that.

Tattered menu, poor choice, a has-been of a place.

On reflection....you're right....scratch this one.

Samong moo (pig brains)

It's actually quite an experience. Especially the texture of brains, it's one of the softest foods I've eaten, softer than Tofu, close to a runny egg. As for the taste: It tastes like, well... pork. 70thb per bowl, didn't get sick afterwards.

http://importfood.com/thai_vendors/street_vendor_samongmoo.html

Soup Mangkorn (dragon soup)

Found in the food court at MBK, it's a typical noodle soup except instead of loo chin (meatballs) they use Ox penis. The difference between meatballs and penis is hardly noticeable.

I recommend trying these two if you're a culinary adventurer. Personally I have a whole folder with photos of me eating stuff. So far I've eaten:

Baby chickens, baby clams, bird's nest, black chicken, blood, cat food, chicken, chicken feet, crocodile, deer, dog food, duck, duck tongue, ears, eel, fish, fish intestines, fish maw, frog, guinea pig, heart, horse, insects, jelly fish, kidneys, live oysters, maggots, mussels, octopus, ostrich, penis, pig brains, pig feet, pigeon, pork intestines, quail, rabbit, rotten beans, scallops, scorpion, sea cucumber, shark fin, sheep, snails, spider, spoon worms, squid, squirrel, stingray, tongue, turkey, turtle, and wild boar.

Personally... the best food is still chicken.

OK. Thanks.

Sad to say I'm not really THAT adventurous.

My tastes are more about diversity of flavors and spices, including spicing extremes.

To personalize this a little more, are there any Ethiopian places running right now in Bangkok and if so, which one(s) are worth going to?

OK. Thanks.

My tastes are more about diversity of flavors and spices, including spicing extremes.

To personalize this a little more, are there any Ethiopian places running right now in Bangkok and if so, which one(s) are worth going to?

There is a thread about the only Ethiopian place if you scroll down a little.

OK. Thanks.

Spicing extreme? Go to a Coco Ichibanyan restaurant, located in almost all major shopping centers. Pick your curry dish of choice and tell them you'd like it at level 6. My friends and I have done several dares, the highest level we got was 4.

Some additions...for the culinary adventurous who like to try a variety of cuisines.

Filipino: Don't remember the name but directly below the Phra Khanong BTS station, odd (outbound) soi side next to MIX HOTEL.

Okinawan: Also Phra Khanong, Sukhumvit Soi 69, 100 meters on right. A unique variety of Japanese food; very favorably reviewed in several publications.

Burmese; Phra Khanong again. On Sukhumvit 71 between Soi's 3 & 5, A vegetarian friend likes this place very much.

French/Turkish kebab shop,( including a duck kabab version that is delicious). Forget name but again, Phra Khanong, on the outbound side of Sukhumvit, 5 or 6 doors before Suk. 71 intersection.

Mexican: Ari; inside the large shopping plaza is a small Mexican kiosk that served very tasty tacos and tostada salads last time I was there a year ago.

Lunch Buffet: The Majestic Grande (Suk. Soi 2) has a B399 lunch buffet that has a very good selection including roasts. I've been twice. Once the roast was beef, once lamb. It's on an upper floor, you may have to ask at the front desk for directions.

BTW, should you go; the first after dinner coffee is free...refills are not free. Found out the hard way.

• 1 month later...

Hey there.

I promised feedback on my Bangkok food orgy and I mean to deliver.

Still here. Keep those "ethnic" food picks coming!

So little time. So little stomach space.

Got to focus on stuff I can't get in Pattaya so that might mean no Indian.

So far.

Sun and Moon northern Chinese on Soi Ngam Duphee.

A bit of a disaster. Dumpling chef out sick so no noodles or dumplings.

The recipe for their famous eggplant sticks has changed. Now way too sweet and no kick. Maybe they faranged me?

The stuffed long green peppers in red sauce still good.

The pork with radish soup comforting.

Service is rude and the place is filthy but if you know this place you already knew that.

Went later for lunch hoping for dumplings. Was shooed away. Booked for a group. You've been warned!

They opened for 530 dinner. This is important as you might want to arrive there then to avoid lines.

Breizh Crepes Sathorn

Had a salad with goat cheese and a crepe called sea. Both were just OK. Would not rush back. The savory crepe was kind of a fusion dish. Menu said fresh tuna but it was actually sushi. Hope it was sushi grade tuna. If I ever go again I would try a choice with melted cheese. Dry cider is served authentically in bowls.

Rasa Khas Indonesian

The big winner so far!

Thanks for the tip.

Just off soi 23 Sukhumwit

Highlight dishes were the tapioco fish cakes and the beef soup described as milky.

The chicken sate didn't blow me away but still good and the rojak fruit salad was farangatized all sugar and no spice.

Overall though great place!

Habeesha Ethiopian

Recently commented on another thread. Won't repeat that here.

No stomach space now but WOW the compact dim sum menu for TimHoWan at Terminal 21 looks fabulous. And so cheap for that level.

I also noticed that there is a Chef Man express at the Emquartere foodcourt. Not too impressed. Very limited dim sum choices but they do have some good duck choices.

Latest.

B.K. restaurant.

Soi 71 between 3 and 5.

Left hand side of street from Sukhumwit!!

There are 7 Burmese choices.

All veg

Also Indian food.

Prices mostly 50 baht per small portion.

Tried the classic tea leaf salad.

Very good.

Also a tofu salad with mango.

Too creamy for me.

Then the classic fish chowder but no fish. OK.

Tried one Indian dish. Bhindi aloo. OK.

Free hot tea.

Something different.

Thanks for the tip.

Love the tea leaf salad!

Cool area!

Still looking for my holy grail Burmese restaurant in Thailand.

I think it might not exist even in Chiang Mai.

Zambrero at Central World - Mexican fast food from Australia.

An old favourite - Thong Lee, chinese-Thai food in Sukhumvit Soi 20 http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d2333483-Reviews-Thong_Lee-Bangkok.html

Thanks for those.

Will consider Zambrero but still haven't done Mexican. First priorities are Monita and Sabroso probably both.

That Chinese place looks to be Thai style Chinese. That is well covered in Pattaya. Really looking for very regional Chinese places other than Thai Chinese.

OK. Have to admit I met the wonderful challenge today. Tim Ho Wan dim sum from Hong Kong at Terminal 21. Everything fantastic. The baked crispy pork buns ... The rice rolls with sesame sauce ... The radish cake ... The steamed shrimp and spinach dumplings. Among the best dim sum I've ever had and I've had great dim sum.

Thanks to the poster who mentioned it even though I would have probably "discovered" it myself as it's hardly a hidden secret. If you don't know be advised there are long queues during peak times daily.

To add their signature pork bun is wonderful and a must try one time but I wouldn't repeat. Too sweet and too similar to a Krispy Kreme donut for me.

Any tips on cool stuff to do between eating for someone who has done the classic Bangkok tourist circuit years ago?

Today I visited the Arts center near MBK. Always new exhibits there. I enjoyed the street photography and the show from a Polish artist.

Gotta admit. Pattaya ain't got no cultcha like that unless bacteria counts.

Bangkok is great but the food scene is in a way is too big. It would drive me crazy trying to keep on top of it if I lived here. Mission Impossible.

OK from the sacred to the profane. Craving Italian American lasagna ... I prefer it to authentic lasagna as I detest bechamel sauce. Anyway you know how it is when you have a bad feeling about something but you go through with it anyway? Well this was like that. Went to the American restaurant soi 8 Sukhumwit near Nana. Curious to try their Sicilian lasagna which I correctly assumed would be an Italian American lasagna. Well it was but a meh version of it and also not a great value. The atmosphere is funky seen better days aging hippie cool but it's an American sports bar crowd. Not for me.

So to cap off the mediocre still hungry had the Friday night only paella at Broken Eggs at the W market outdoor food and nightlife scene. Same neighborhood as the Burmese place. So is that area like the Bangkok version of Brooklyn hipsters?

Oh the paella. Well I've had worse in Spain (Ibiza tourist trap) but don't make any special trips to try it!

OK needed something light after the pork bun bonanza yesterday. Noticed Royal Kitchen Chinese has assortment of Chinese claypot casserole dishes. Definitely not available in Pattaya and that's something I love. Wasn't expecting stellar cuisine from such a place but serviceable would do. Started with some steamed Chou Zhou style dumplings and then the dolly fish casserole with ginger bok Choy scallions and shiitake shrooms. The dim sum was OK. BTW they have a 30 percent daytime except Sunday promotion on dim sum if you can't handle the line at the famous place.

The claypot dish was indeed serviceable but there wasn't nearly enough ginger and that was a major flaw. I would have liked whole garlic as well. Also bean curd skin.

BTW the service was quite poor and I think not only a language issue as a number of people mentioned that on TripAdvisor.

Now a question. Do you know of a place with a really excellent Chinese claypot menu? This type of food easy to find in San Francisco but rare in Thailand. One I would particular love is oyster pork belly cabbage and garlic.

Dailan northern Chinese.

Ekamai soi 63 left side from sukhumwit

This is like a much more accessible and friendlier version of Sun and Moon Soi Ngam Duphee.

Similar menu but Dailans is much bigger and also a bigger place.

Had the stewed fish flavored eggplant.

Egg-cellent.

The boiled dumplings.

Scrumptious.

Also the bread stuffed with leek and egg. Good stuff but a deep fried version of that classic dish so I wouldn't order again.

Cucumber and garlic cold salad. Basic as expected!

Yeah! Great place.

Things they don't have that Sun and Moon does. The eggplant fries famous dish and also the stuffed long green peppers.

Thanks. Know the famous ones. The gourmet veggie thing is now sort of covered in.Pattaya.

Anyway today schlepped in the hot sun to Pratunam to try the Sri Lankan place Manel Lanka. But it was packed full for hours. So either give up or wait. Well I waited and then got hungry. So went for a "snack" of Taiwanese chicken with Thai Basil at Family Chinese restaurant across from Indra Square. It wasn't exactly the dish I expected but it was Taiwanesy enough for jazz and cheap enough too. An odd hole in the wall that I wouldn't normally travel for. Following a theme here they also have Northern Chinese wheat dishes but others as well including low priced mala Sechuan spicy pots. So if you're in the area perhaps worth a sniff.

So like three hours later I snagged a share chair at the Sri Lankan. As far as I know bloody authentic. I had the dried fish set at 130 including that and

Rice

Indian tortilla strips

Yellow curry dal

Chutney

Jackfruit curry

Okra curry

The fish was super spicy and I didn't even ask for that. It was also very salty.

The taste profiles reminded me of Caribbean food.

Worth the money big time. The wait was bad though. Don't go on Sunday lunch though. Maybe better other times. Also the food had been sitting by the time I got it.

Hoppers from 5 pm. Full a LA carte menu but the sets are popular for lunch.

Funny update. On the menu I thought I had ordered the dried fish set. The small fish chunks were fried but they were so crunchy that I thought they were also dried. Well on the bill it said fried fish.

Just so you know there's another Filipino restaurant in town besides the one previously mentioned on Sukhumwit.

This one is New Mabuhay Restaurant 1/31 soi 19 Petchahuri Road in Pratunam.

Basically from Pethaburi go up soi 19 for a spell and its down a soi on your left. Same soi as the Pratunam Deal Hotel

OK had to go with some serious ramen which bizarrely Pattaya does not have. Specifically tonkotsu. Went with Bankara which seems to be highly regarded. Well yep it is great. Can't fault the noodles perfect for me. Maybe I picked the wrong broth. Did the tonkatsu less oil and trust less oil doesn't make it wimpy. Very very rich and creamy. I might have preferred their signature broth which is a mix of creamy pork bone broth and shoyu. The chashu pork also excellent. This place definitely is a deserved hit but honestly my fave ramen bowl ever was in US at a serious Japanese place favored by Japanese chefs after work. Noodles just as good and I liked the broth better but like I said I may have picked the wrong broth for my taste.

BTW I didn't even finish the broth ... could have but didn't want to. At the US place tonkatsu always wanted all the broth and more.

Archived