What's wonderful NOW in Bangkok for the adventurous value seeking eater?

Jingthing

Some of you Bangkokians may know me from my restaurant posts on the Pattaya forum.

We'll I'm REALLY rusty on Bangkok and plan on doing some eating about the town there soon.

My focus is very diverse cuisines with the food being the star rather than the scene or the snob factor.

This being Thailand I can get general Thai food in Pattaya, so would be more interested in REGIONAL suggestions, such as Southern Thai or Lanna Thai.

But really mostly interested in more international choices.

Like from everywhere.

Also with some specialization, not just Japanese but a Japanese ramen place for example.

Please don't go overboard ... I know Bangkok is a big city.

Really looking for some choice personal picks of places you've been to recently that really give you the WOW factor in FLAVOR.

Don't bother with burgers and pizzas.

Generally not very interested in European food unless more unusual ... can get my fix of that in Pattaya, especially Italian.

Indian ... also now a glut of that in Pattaya, but would be interested in extra special regional places.

Specific requests for example, but not limited to:

Mexican

Viet Pho

Dim Sum

Sechuan

Other regional Chinese

Regional Indian

Indonesian

Filipino

Burmese

Portuguese

Peruvian

Malaysian

Must do buffets?

Greedy and gluttonous of me I know but really looking for personal restaurant treasures that you have, if you're willing to share. Even by PM if you must.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JT, I'm sure a foodie like you already knows about BK Magazine, and Tatler, etc., but everything is available in Bangkok (not sure about Peruvian and Filipino but they must exist). As far as personal choices, where do we start?

One place to start is to state that last week I ate at the Sunday buffet at Rang Mahal and got terribly sick to my stomach (4 days), which as you may know is Bangkok's most expensive and celebrated Indian restaurant, and my previous favorite. If you love good Indian, I also like the Tandoori Sunday buffet at the Holiday Inn Silom. (price 650 BHT++, price at Rang Mahal 850BHT++).

Start here:

http://bk.asia-city.com/

http://thailandtatler.com/dining/

For Mexican visit Sabroso on Sukhumvit Soi 23. Tacos are about 220./.the chorizo are my favourite.

Indian...hmmm....recommend you splash out and go 650++ on a Sunday at Indus deep in Sukhumvit Soi 26.

Its a buffet....all ordered off the menu and cooked fresh...go hungry and don't miss the tandoori broccoli!

Other option for Indian is Royal India restaurant in Little India...Chakraphet Rd....opposite that outside the mall is a samosa stand...best in Bangkok.....that's the best cheap Indian option....although in the mall...top floor is a great dosa place too...super cheap in there.

For buffet try the Holiday Inn at Chidlom....or for lunch the Ibis on Sukhumvit 4...that's a great deal.

For expensive buffet go to the Marriott by Sukhumvit 2.....the pan fried fois gras is delicious...but its a shade under 2k Baht.

Happy eating!

For Mexican visit Sabroso on Sukhumvit Soi 23. Tacos are about 220./.the chorizo are my favourite.

Indian...hmmm....recommend you splash out and go 650++ on a Sunday at Indus deep in Sukhumvit Soi 26.

Its a buffet....all ordered off the menu and cooked fresh...go hungry and don't miss the tandoori broccoli!

Just remembered Indus buffet is Saturday lunchtime as well.

JT, I'm sure a foodie like you already knows about BK Magazine, and Tatler, etc., but everything is available in Bangkok (not sure about Peruvian and Filipino but they must exist). As far as personal choices, where do we start?

One place to start is to state that last week I ate at the Sunday buffet at Rang Mahal and got terribly sick to my stomach (4 days), which as you may know is Bangkok's most expensive and celebrated Indian restaurant, and my previous favorite. If you love good Indian, I also like the Tandoori Sunday buffet at the Holiday Inn Silom. (price 650 BHT++, price at Rang Mahal 850BHT++).

Start here:

Don't assume I know anything about Bangkok these days.

Yes I will look at links about food there and also interested in other suggestions for that.

But reading online reviews saying a place is good doesn't always turn out to be true.

Yes I can search myself for hits on basic cuisines. For example, I can find places that do Viet Pho but I've never had an actually GOOD Viet Pho in Thailand, and don't know if it even exists in Bangkok ... maybe some of you know where. THAT kind of thing ...

What I am looking for here are really INSIDER TIPS from people who are really enjoying some of these types of places personally.

Trying to filter things down to some really promising choices.

Of course push come to shove I'll take my chances and see what happens.

BTW ... speaking of MEXICAN food, my priority there really is decent Mexican food as that doesn't exist in Pattaya ... so for the Mexican food lovers, which TWO Bangkok Mexican places would you suggest as top choices? If you think Sunrise is one of them ... never mind, we have different taste.

Cheers!

Yeah, for Mexican, pretty much La Monita is the standard, but to be honest I haven't tried La Sobroso.

Funny aside, when I need a quick Mexican fix, and just need to buy something to take home and pop in the wave, the (I forgot the exact name, maybe El Chorito?) line of locally-made frozen burritos in beef, bean, pork, chicken are not too bad. You just buy some cheddar cheeze to melt on top, and they also have green salsa or red sauces, and tortilla chips for a makeshift mex meal. They sell these in all Villa markets, and in some Tops in Bangkok.

I am planning on going here soon, thats if I can get in.

Tim Ho Wan, the Hong Kong hole-in-the-wall restaurant that surprised the world by gaining a Michelin star, is Bangkok-bound. While there’s yet to be an official announcement, new signage spotted at Terminal 21 mall (3/F, see slideshow) all but confirms the restaurant’s arrival for August.

http://bk.asia-city.com/restaurants/news/worlds-cheapest-michelin-starred-restaurant-open-branch-bangkok

Peruvian....Above Eleven at Fraser Suites Sukhumvit 11 does Peruvian/Japanese fusion food.

On sushi I always go to Isao on Soi 31...its superb but perhaps too pricy...check their website.

Dang, that sounds like they serve guinea pig sushi!

I am planning on going here soon, thats if I can get in.

Tim Ho Wan, the Hong Kong hole-in-the-wall restaurant that surprised the world by gaining a Michelin star, is Bangkok-bound. While there’s yet to be an official announcement, new signage spotted at Terminal 21 mall (3/F, see slideshow) all but confirms the restaurant’s arrival for August.

http://bk.asia-city.com/restaurants/news/worlds-cheapest-michelin-starred-restaurant-open-branch-bangkok

That sounds good and I will add now that good authentic CHINESE food is a huge favorite of mine.

So Chinese picks definitely sought (also considering it's not so great in Pattaya outside the fancy hotels).

If you like chicken rice, or even if you don't, give Hok Dee a try. Bangkok magazine said it was by far the best chicken rice in Bangkok, and I couldn't agree more. You get the most tender, juicy chicken I've ever had at a chicken rice restaurant or stall and huge portions, unlike the slivers of dried chicken you get most other places. Chicken rice and soup starts at 80 Baht and you can get a set for 150 Baht.

They also have quite a few other Singaporean and Southeast Asian dishes, and it's a modern, clean and air conditioned restaurant with a spotless open kitchen you walk past when you enter. A little out of the way in the Huay Kwang district, but in my opinion, well worth the trip.

http://www.gourmetbangkok.com/the-best-chicken-rice-in-bangkok-hok-dee/

Start here:

Don't assume I know anything about Bangkok these days.

Yes I will look at links about food there and also interested in other suggestions for that.

But reading online reviews saying a place is good doesn't always turn out to be true.

Yes I can search myself for hits on basic cuisines. For example, I can find places that do Viet Pho but I've never had an actually GOOD Viet Pho in Thailand, and don't know if it even exists in Bangkok ... maybe some of you know where. THAT kind of thing ...

What I am looking for here are really INSIDER TIPS from people who are really enjoying some of these types of places personally.

Trying to filter things down to some really promising choices.

Of course push come to shove I'll take my chances and see what happens.

BTW ... speaking of MEXICAN food, my priority there really is decent Mexican food as that doesn't exist in Pattaya ... so for the Mexican food lovers, which TWO Bangkok Mexican places would you suggest as top choices? If you think Sunrise is one of them ... never mind, we have different taste.

Cheers!

Vietnamese - Le Dalat on Sukhumvit soi 23

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293916-d1128191-Reviews-Le_Dalat_Restaurant-Bangkok.html

I love lebanese food, but normally only go to Beirut, both branches, but a few weeks ago was very disappointed with the food at the Ploenchit main location. Maybe someone has some good finds in Lebanese or middle eastern?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I love lebanese food, but normally only go to Beirut, both branches, but a few weeks ago was very disappointed with the food at the Ploenchit main location. Maybe someone has some good finds in Lebanese or middle eastern?

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Try the Egyptian place down Soi 2.

Or the Lebanese beside Bumrungrad...same side of Soi 3.

Other option for Indian is Royal India restaurant in Little India...Chakraphet Rd....opposite that outside the mall is a samosa stand...best in Bangkok.....that's the best cheap Indian option....although in the mall...top floor is a great dosa place too...super cheap in there.

Good to know, but so far to go. How much are the samosas? I'm sick of seeing the laughable offerings up Sukhumvit way, three for 70 baht a typical example. Last time I was in Penang they were being sold at street stalls for 5 baht each, so how come the Indians of Bangkok find it so difficult to make samosas at a reasonable price?

Southern Thai....Chanhom in Ramkhamhaeng 21.

Also Phuket Town in Thonglor...although my khua kling had small bones in it so watch for that.

Tattered menu, poor choice, a has-been of a place.

Yeah, for Mexican, pretty much La Monita is the standard, but to be honest I haven't tried La Sobroso.

Funny aside, when I need a quick Mexican fix, and just need to buy something to take home and pop in the wave, the (I forgot the exact name, maybe El Chorito?) line of locally-made frozen burritos in beef, bean, pork, chicken are not too bad. You just buy some cheddar cheeze to melt on top, and they also have green salsa or red sauces, and tortilla chips for a makeshift mex meal. They sell these in all Villa markets, and in some Tops in Bangkok.

And Foodland, too - at least in Thonglor. The refried beans are the bees' knees.

Note to that food official who just said food is cheaper this year: all these burritos just went up about 15% in price.

Good to know, but so far to go. How much are the samosas? I'm sick of seeing the laughable offerings up Sukhumvit way, three for 70 baht a typical example. Last time I was in Penang they were being sold at street stalls for 5 baht each, so how come the Indians of Bangkok find it so difficult to make samosas at a reasonable price?

12 Baht each.

Archived