Crusading Phuketwan Website Shuts Down as Journalists Face Thai Court

Lite Beer

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes. The US and EU (supposedly) getting all upset by the assumed absence of freedom of speech while at the same time justifying their own mass slaughter or enslavement (pardon me, colonization) of millions of people in the (not too distant) past and the support, tacit or explicit, that they've given to genuinely repressive regimes whose existence served their purposes or their own suppression of indigenous populations.

When it come to being a litigious society, the US in particular is in no position to point fingers at others.

There are several words for all of this and for the pious pontificating in evidence in this thread. One of them pretty well covers it.

hy·poc·ri·sy
həˈpäkrəsē/
noun
the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform; pretense.
synonyms: dissimulation, false virtue, cant, posturing,affectation, speciousness, empty talk, insincerity,falseness, deceit, dishonesty, mendacity, pretense,duplicity;
Edited by Suradit69

If Thailand does inprison these journalists for exercising freedom of speech, then there will be serious repercussions for the country.

Thailand is already on thin ice with both the EU & US, and it continues to act with impunity on other violations. There is now concern that the country is joining the ranks of other repressive regimes upheld in Iran, Mayanmar & North Korea, where similar tactics of silencing the media also take place.

The world will be watching closely on the outcome of the trial of Phuketwan journalists.

"the country is joining the ranks of other repressive regimes upheld in Iran"

By "upheld" you mean like the US puppet the Shah of Iran?

Or the too numerous to name repressive regimes that have been supported by, if not installed by, the US (with European complicity) in South America, Asia, Africa ... and even in Europe... e.g. Franco, Salazar, Tito and juntas in Greece and Turkey ...

Edited by Suradit69

If Thailand does inprison these journalists for exercising freedom of speech, then there will be serious repercussions for the country.

Thailand is already on thin ice with both the EU & US, and it continues to act with impunity on other violations. There is now concern that the country is joining the ranks of other repressive regimes upheld in Iran, Mayanmar & North Korea, where similar tactics of silencing the media also take place.

The world will be watching closely on the outcome of the trial of Phuketwan journalists.

No. The world only watches what it is told to watch by its news organisations - this will not make the smallest dent in the minds of 99% of 'the world'.

It appears that all foreigners commenting on this issue are negative of Thailand.

Why don't you move to another country. You are all guests of Thailand.

Or......the people here aren't being negative they love Thailand and would like to see it moving in the right direction rather than continue with a "justice" system that only serves to protect the political and military big brasses.

I love how the authorities keep insisting there is freedom of speech and the press in this country, yet still have criminal defamation and criminal libel laws on the books. And the amazing thing is the "inflammatory" sections of the article they ran on the rohingya actually quoted the Associated Press, which for some strange reason, was NOT sued.

If these two are imprisoned, it will be another black stain on Thailand and a clear indication in which direction this country is heading: toward fewer and few civil liberties and further restrictions on speech, the press and public gatherings.

""threatens the right to freedom of opinion and expression that is supposed to be the bedrock of Thailand's democratic society."

What democratic society? It disappeared a couple of years ago when the army took over and there is no right to opinion and expression anymore. They even want to give jounalists lessons on how to ask questions that dont offend the rulers !!

Really ?.

It seems to me that we are getting a LOT more articles which are critical of the government than I ever saw against Pheu-Thai despite their absolutely outrageous actions while in government.

A thinking man would put it down to the fact that Mr T and his pals have cronies in every organisation which might be useful. In Thailand virtually everyone can be bought. As we saw with the 310:0 amnesty vote.

Is that 'freedom of expression' you miss ?. Along with the right to be blown up by their UDD thugs throwing grenades if you look like you are going threaten their power ?.

In your naivety, I expect you think this would never have happened before the coup. The reality is that there is far more chance the government will take action now than there ever was before.

You do it every time you comment, no matter what the thread is, you have a go at Thaksin/PTP/UDD/Redshirts. I'll continue to remind you until you cease and desist. This particular thread is about the Phuketwan website and the Thai navy suing them.

We have got the message that you and your buddies hate the government that your wives support, so please move on. You'll get plenty of chances to have a go at them when they're voted back into power, as they surely will be if fair elections are ever again allowed in this country.

It appears that all foreigners commenting on this issue are negative of Thailand.

Or......the people here aren't being negative they love Thailand and would like to see it moving in the right direction rather than continue with a "justice" system that only serves to protect the political and military big brasses.

Yes another one of the "if you don't like it here then MOVE" crowd. Like us living here bars us from commenting on the negatives of living here. And for most of us, the positives likely outweigh the negatives. Guests or not, we have a right to discuss this on this forum and hope for something better.

Interesting on how many subjects this country tries to bring up other nations against it. Soon there will be just one friend left. However, the real value of this friendship will only be recognized after the friendly take over by the "Big C" is completed.

" Big C" ?

Hello Biplanebluey, Are still with us? Just keep planing and you might just make it over the Great Wall!

I hope Prayut does take this on personally and have it dropped. It should never have got to this point in the first place.

Indeed! What makes the trial a complete joke is that in the last few months we've already learned in the press how authorities in Thailand were complicit in moving and enslaving these people. It started a huge crackdown by Prayuth, but this farce of court case is allowed to continue.

Interesting on how many subjects this country tries to bring up other nations against it. Soon there will be just one friend left. However, the real value of this friendship will only be recognized after the friendly take over by the "Big C" is completed.

" Big C" ?

Zanzibar.

hahahahahahahaah Well i had my doubts it was Cambodia.

nobody can find Thailand on a map... next.

well for sure americans canttongue.png

Nor can most Thais. Ask a Thai to name the countries which border Thailand - very few can tell you.

Thainess at its best.

why Iran? Why not Saudia Arabia, Kuwait and Singapore

The staff at PW did a pretty decent job overall, but the site was totally spoiled by the so called editor who came across as the most monumental argumentative bullying sanctimonious PITA I have ever read.

All he needed to do to make this go away was swallow his pride and make a (fake)apology, face would have been saved, life goes on. But no, he wants to stand on principles in a country devoid of them.

Okay, Phuketwan has been taken to court.

Posters here seem to react to a guilty verdict, why does nobody just wait for what the court has to say ?

The right for anyone to sue anyone is also a pillar of a democratic society, and this right does not only work one way - I don't see why institutions cannot sue citizens or journalists, provided that justice is served in court.

The staff at PW did a pretty decent job overall, but the site was totally spoiled by the so called editor who came across as the most monumental argumentative bullying sanctimonious PITA I have ever read.

All he needed to do to make this go away was swallow his pride and make a (fake)apology, face would have been saved, life goes on. But no, he wants to stand on principles in a country devoid of them.

Also he kept wearing those short skirts, and going to the beach in his bikini, what did he expect? It was just a matter of time before he got raped and beaten to death, either that or sued into poverty and prison. It's entirely his fault.

nobody can find Thailand on a map... next.

well for sure americans canttongue.png

Nor can most Thais. Ask a Thai to name the countries which border Thailand - very few can tell you.

Thainess at its best.

National Geographic Today
The National Geographic–Roper Global Geographic Literacy Survey polled more than 3,000 18- to 24-year-olds in Canada, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Sweden and the United States.
Sweden scored highest; Mexico, lowest. The U.S. was next to last.
About 11 percent of young citizens of the U.S. couldn't even locate the U.S. on a map. The Pacific Ocean's location was a mystery to 29 percent; Japan, to 58 percent; France, to 65 percent; and the United Kingdom, to 69 percent.
Particularly humiliating was that all countries were better able to identify the U.S. population than many young U.S. citizens. Within the U.S., almost one-third said that population was between one billion and two billion

...doesn't seem to have been be shut down as yet?

- or maybe all that's happened is it's ISP has been made to filter it out from thai-resident eyes... (o)(o)

Morison, 67, has announced that Phuketwan will close this week and may never resume because of uncertainty over unprecedented criminal defamation charges brought against him and colleague Chutima Sidasathian by the Royal Thai Navy.

Yes, he announced to get in the news again.

I don't believe for one minute he is shutting down, he likes the attention way too much.

Posters here seem to react to a guilty verdict, why does nobody just wait for what the court has to say ?

The right for anyone to sue anyone is also a pillar of a democratic society, and this right does not only work one way - I don't see why institutions cannot sue citizens or journalists, provided that justice is served in court.

The right for anyone to sue anyone is also a pillar of a democratic society

You are not too familiar with Thai defamation laws, and their interpretation are you?

Edited by Lupatria

Oh yes the old guest of Thailand routine.

It's really becoming a tired use of words. Come up with an actual argument.

We all know where this is going.... anything not benefiting THEM or seen detrimental to THEIR HEALTH will slowly go away... "Rule Of Law" has disappeared like in Egypt and etc... God or whatever God there is --- bless those who fight for the truth, the downtrodden. the beleaguered, the weak and those with no voice...

Edited by pmh2009

I remember Mark Plunkett , good guy, when he was a law student, he took Joh Bjelke Petersen, the corrupt Queensland Premier to court. Bjelke passed a law saying that he didn't have to appear in court.

Hopefully Mark LLB will be able to tell the Thai judge not to worry about that.

The right for anyone to sue anyone is also a pillar of a democratic society

You are not too familiar with Thai defamation laws, and their interpretation are you?

I am familiar with them, and they are similar to laws existing in other countries, for example France.

In this case I am pretty trustful in the courts to dismiss the case against Phuketwan.

If the case is not dismissed or resolved favorably for Phuketwan, it would indeed set a shocking precedent.

If you ask me, I am also in favor of abusive/stupid lawsuits to face a penalty for contempt of the court and implying the judge is an idiot.

Such lawsuits often happen in the US.

In particularly stupid cases, plaintiff(s) and their lawyers should be sentenced to solidarly pay double the defendant's legal fees plus the equal amount to the government...

I think such a sentence could be useful here in this particular case.

Edited by manarak